Hair stylist jailed for opening her shop, then released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Force of law is not a law! Again the constitution clearly states how laws are made. State constitutions do the same. You have merely proven what I am saying which is "it's a law, submit, because it is a law". No it is an executive order under a declared state of emergency. These EO's cannot be made in the state of Texas or in any of the counties of Texas unless we are under a state of emergency declaration.

Didn't the TX governor declare a state of emergency? Or apparently in TX, it's called a state of disaster?

Yes he did declare it and many other states, cities and counties did as well. That is not my point and has not been since I started discussion on this topic. So did the County Judge in Dallas, and Travis County (Austin) and Bexar County (San Antonio) and Harris County (Houston) but once they declared it they started making rules and setting penalties for violating those rules on their own. Lina Hidalgo Harris County Judge said everyone must wear a mask and if you don't then it is a $1,000 fine period. No one else got input, no one voted on it. Now two things from there, Abbott stepped in and said that it would not be enforced by his executive order so that was good, but then again he changed the rule without input or a vote. Where I am trying to go with this without saying what the hairdresser did was right or wrong is that it scares me when an individual politician can 1) declare the emergency and then 2) make any rule they feel like and 3) that sheeple in this country will willingly follow. That's all I am saying.

Yes he did declare it and many other states, cities and counties did as well. That is not my point and has not been since I started discussion on this topic. So did the County Judge in Dallas, and Travis County (Austin) and Bexar County (San Antonio) and Harris County (Houston) but once they declared it they started making rules and setting penalties for violating those rules on their own. Lina Hidalgo Harris County Judge said everyone must wear a mask and if you don't then it is a $1,000 fine period. No one else got input, no one voted on it. Now two things from there, Abbott stepped in and said that it would not be enforced by his executive order so that was good, but then again he changed the rule without input or a vote. Where I am trying to go with this without saying what the hairdresser did was right or wrong is that it scares me when an individual politician can 1) declare the emergency and then 2) make any rule they feel like and 3) that sheeple in this country will willingly follow. That's all I am saying.

following the GOVERNING individuals/bodies does not make us “sheeple”.
I guess this is some more of the “rules are made to be broken” idealology.

Their is a special reward in Heaven for the people who only concern is to make us sexy

I would assume that greatly depends on how much she got. If she got a loan from the Paycheck Protection it could be used for utilities and payroll to my understanding without having to pay it back
Given her concern overher employ' ability to feed their children, the only thing she should have been using that funding for is wages.
And she was fined $7K for doing so.
Which the Texas Lieutenant Governor - nkt she - paid.
No, she was jailed because the judge was on power trip and tried to make her say she was selfish. She refused.
No, she was jailed for decling or refusing to complay with the judge's - order? request? demand?
Maybe you're confusing a loan with INCOME...very different!
Using Paycheck Protection Program to pay wages makes it a forgiven loan.

She got what she deserved. Can you imagine what a courtroom would be like if a judge allowed all mayhem and didn't demand respect? Just because she said yes sir, no sir doesn't mean that she should get off because she was polite. Sorry, not in her camp. I think of all the other salons etc that followed the orders but because she's special she decided to remain open. Certainly not fair to all those that struggled to "feed their families". She gambled. She lost.

Last edited:
Unusual punishments have been used before. There have been people standing by streets holding signs for example. This judge isn't a favorite but he gave her a choice. She made it and got her publicity which I said from the beginning was what she mostly wanted. So good for her.

She got what she deserved. Can you imagine what a courtroom would be like if a judge allowed all mayhem and didn't demand respect? Just because she said yes sir, no sir doesn't mean that she should get off because she was polite. Sorry, not in her camp. I think of all the other salons etc that followed the orders but because she's special she decided to remain open. Certainly not fair to all those that struggled to "feed their families". She gambled. She lost.
Really? Because she got a ton of free publicity and lots of new clients. I'd say she won.

She already got publicity when she tore up the order at the FreeTexas rally. I guess that she wanted to be sure.

There are plenty of people who do dumb stuff for fame or notoriety. I wouldn't say they "won" because their fame is tied to their stupidity. :)
But if this was a cause you agreed with and supported...wouldn't be dumb stuff tied to someone's stupidity?

Last edited:
following the GOVERNING individuals/bodies does not make us “sheeple”.
I guess this is some more of the “rules are made to be broken” ideology.
As I have said I don't really care what this lady did. Not my point never has been, never will be. It is the larger point completely lost on most folks here that if someone in a position of authority declares an emergency then they get to make the rules and the hell with the constitution. This not a rules are made to be broken ideology. Actually it is the opposite. The county judges in Texas and officials all across the country have broken the "rules" to do a lot of things that short of the emergency declaration they could not ever do.

As I have said I don't really care what this lady did. Not my point never has been, never will be. It is the larger point completely lost on most folks here that if someone in a position of authority declares an emergency then they get to make the rules and the hell with the constitution. This not a rules are made to be broken ideology. Actually it is the opposite. The county judges in Texas and officials all across the country have broken the "rules" to do a lot of things that short of the emergency declaration they could not ever do.

Because as you said, it’s an emergency. Because of the situation and their position within our government, no matter if it’s local, county, state or national, we charge and trust them to go ahead and do the right thing and make those decisions quickly.

If we did as it seems like you want, it would be years because you’d want everything little thing run by and voted on by the general population.

Is there a section in the Constitution about dealing with pandemics? Hurricanes? Tornados that destroy entire towns? Nope, our forefathers (and all since) haven’t created provisions like that because each and every one is different and require decisions made specific to the situation.

That’s also why mandates were not made/enforced by the federal level of government, because they don’t know exactly how a general solution will work in all corners of the US and it’s territories.

Are you actively involved in all levels of government? As in advocating for changes for governing documents? Lobbying?

I fully support her right to protest and am not sure why the judge asked for an apology. If the apology was simply for defying the state order, the fine was the only required legal recompense - there is no legal requirement in any state that a person apologize for committing a crime. The judge should have simply moved on to the next item on his docket.

She has her rights, and consumers have theirs. She will find out in the long term if she chose wisely. Her 15 minutes of fame are over. Now she will deal with the remaining consequences of having created a public image of herself which will be supported by many, and admonished by many. I am not in favor of her actions, but I am also not one of her potential patrons, so my opinion really doesn't matter.

Because as you said, it’s an emergency. Because of the situation and their position within our government, no matter if it’s local, county, state or national, we charge and trust them to go ahead and do the right thing and make those decisions quickly.

If we did as it seems like you want, it would be years because you’d want everything little thing run by and voted on by the general population.

Is there a section in the Constitution about dealing with pandemics? Hurricanes? Tornados that destroy entire towns? Nope, our forefathers (and all since) haven’t created provisions like that because each and every one is different and require decisions made specific to the situation.

That’s also why mandates were not made/enforced by the federal level of government, because they don’t know exactly how a general solution will work in all corners of the US and it’s territories.

Are you actively involved in all levels of government? As in advocating for changes for governing documents? Lobbying?
All good points. After all we do vote for our governors and they act on our behalf. Our governor put in travel restrictions and a judge required a small change. There are checks and balances in place to a degree.

I am not advocating any change at all. By default you are. County Judge Lina Hidalgo in Harris County Texas issued an order that was stuck down by the state but it said wear a mask in public or be fined $1,000 and receive up to 180 days in jail. This at the same time she overstepped her authority and ordered the County to release "non violent" felons from the county jail. Many of these "non violent" felons were burglary charges from criminals who multiple convictions. So what happens? Burglary increases 20% in a short time in Houston because there is no one in all the shut down businesses.

So the decisions made in these areas and others like $17 million in county funds spent on a temporary hospital that was never used and cost a lot more but as she said it's okay because the Feds are paying the majority of the costs are okay?
She is using power gained during an emergency to further an agenda in certain areas that she campaigned on. She is a 29 year old woman who defeated the incumbent in the position who led Harris County through one of the worst hurricanes this area has ever seen and rode into office on straight ticket voting. Yes I have a problem when people like her are given authority to act on their own to make their own rules for the rest of us.

And rest assured this is not political. I would not want any politician regardless of what side of the aisle they sit on to have this power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter