Hair stylist jailed for opening her shop, then released

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is no different than any other small business owner right now. That doesn't mean you can just break the law. People everywhere are figuring it out without breaking the law.
And she was fined $7K for doing so.

Yeah I don't understand that. Rally around the person who defied rules intended to protect people from a deadly virus. But it is what it is.

Since around the bronze age of comics, Lex Luthor has thought of himself as a hero.

Question: Aren't most people that work in a (non-chain) salon independent contractors? Would that affect UI status in Texas?
Not here in NJ, chair rentals are illegal, salon workers are employees of the salon. My colorist is well paid.

Thank you for sharing the story as a local.
While I have no issue with her being fined (each time) for her various openings, and no issue with any consequences she faces in a business sense, I don't agree with a judge telling her she needs to says she's sorry and it was selfish if she wants to avoid jail.
Either what she did was worthy of jail or it wasn't. If it was only worthy of jail if she wasn't sorry and she wouldn't admit she was selfish then IMO it wasn't worthy of jail time at all. This wasn't a violent crime, it wasn't like keeping her locked up was going to keep people on the streets safe, and it wasn't even punishing her for what she did. It was punishing her not being sorry about it.
The judge could have just sentenced her to fines, and/or community service if he felt she needed something more than just a financial lesson/punishment.
This. If he had given her community service, say serving as a COVID tracker, which they are currently looking for, I don't think anyone would be complaining about the case.

Whenever I have appeared in front of a judge it is yes sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am
To KNOW you were going to disobey and be held in contempt?
Idiot
Did you see the video from the courtroom? She was very respectful of the judge, called him sir whenever responding. She simply said she could not in good faith admit to being selfish for wanting to feed her kids. She also has said she herself was behind on her mortgage, so no, not a rich salon owner. Not an idiot.

Sorry, I have to ask the responders that have said "she broke the law. Gotta obey the law".
What are your thoughts on people who cross the border illegally?
Crossing the border is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine and some jail time. However until recently, it was generally not enforced to vigorously. Presenting yourself to a border control agent and requesting asylum is not a crime and there are very specific protections for asylum seekers.

The hairdresser was fined for breaking the law. She was jailed for contempt of court.

Crossing the border is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine and some jail time. However until recently, it was generally not enforced to vigorously. Presenting yourself to a border control agent and requesting asylum is not a crime and there are very specific protections for asylum seekers.

The hairdresser was fined for breaking the law. She was jailed for contempt of court.

No, she was jailed because the judge was on power trip and tried to make her say she was selfish. She refused.

Some of those businesses which hired illegals have now closed by order of the governor and those illegal workers are not eligible for unemployment benefits, at least not in WA. Whether it’s an illegal worker or a salon owner, I won’t judge the person who breaks the law and chooses to put food on the table for their children. There are a lot of victims of COVID19 in this crisis. You don’t necessarily have to get the virus to be one.

No, she was jailed because the judge was on power trip and tried to make her say she was selfish. She refused.
From the various article, it seemed like he was going to toss her in jail unless she apologized for being selfish. (And also close her salon and pay the fine.)

Better? Worse? I'm leaning towards worse, ymmv.

It's worth noting that the gofundme was set up the day before she tore up that letter and promotes a fringe website. The whole thing is a publicity stunt so it's not surprising that she did everything she could to get thrown in jail.

Anyone that donated to her is getting played.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/shelley-...edium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet
2. People want to know who we are. We have a new website (wokepatriots.com) that we will be promoting soon, where we can take on causes like Shelley's and post uncensored news articles and give people a voice. Before Shelley opened her salon, we researched her and her cause and decided that we would approach her and offer to support her as our first patriot cause. She accepted our offer and we have raised over $220,000 so far. Until she went to jail, we have direct contact with her and her team.

Let's be clear, she did not break the law! A law is put in place by the passing of said law through the state house and senate in the State of Texas which is then signed into law by the goviner. What she broke was an executive order from him that he was not very much in favor of to begin with. I am not supporting her nor condemning her but really want to put the idea out there that when people start calling the orders that state and local governments have put in place during this pandemic laws then we have taken our first step down a path that as US citizens we don't want to walk on.

Another thread on the community board is talking about conspiracy theroies and I am not calling it that, but giving up rights to "laws" as some want to call these orders is the first step to giving up your freedoms granted by the constitution.

edited to add, These orders also come with whatever fine, or jail term that the author of the rule wished to place on it. No legislative review, no judicial review, no public input. They are the whims of the issuer and can be whatever they say they are. This is not what the constitution grants us as citizens. This is where totalitarian regimes find their beginnings and sadly many in the name of saftey and the greater good of the community start allowing and even supporting these rules for the greater good. Read the list of things that have been banned or restricted or made against the order across the country. Decsions that say who can stay open and who cannot, what can be sold and what cannot. Local officials have used it to ban gun and ammunition sales, and take their personal beliefs into account for who closes and who does not. Free speech can be ugly and against everything you stand for but you either agree with the first amendment or you don't but understand disagreeing gives up your right to freely speak to your own cause as well.

Last edited:
Let's be clear, she did not break the law! A law is put in place by the passing of said law through the state house and senate in the State of Texas which is then signed into law by the goviner. What she broke was an executive order from him that he was not very much in favor of to begin with. I am not supporting her nor condemning her but really want to put the idea out there that when people start calling the orders that state and local governments have put in place during this pandemic laws then we have taken our first step down a path that as US citizens we don't want to walk on.

Another thread on the community board is talking about conspiracy theroies and I am not calling it that, but giving up rights to "laws" as some want to call these orders is the first step to giving up your freedoms granted by the constitution.

E.O.s have the force of law. They are enforceable whether state of federal.

She received it a few days before this all happened. So for 6 weeks she and her employees had no money coming in.
Texas unemployment is overloaded with requests. I know people who applied late March that just got approved. Not everyone can survive for six weeks with no money coming in.

Well, somehow they all managed to survive, and she got PPP to pay her employees.

Then there’s that Go Fund me sting.

E.O.s have the force of law. They are enforceable whether state of federal.
Force of law is not a law! Again the constitution clearly states how laws are made. State constitutions do the same. You have merely proven what I am saying which is "it's a law, submit, because it is a law". No it is an executive order under a declared state of emergency. These EO's cannot be made in the state of Texas or in any of the counties of Texas unless we are under a state of emergency declaration.

Here’s my 2 cents....(well it’s gonna be more like 10 cents).....and I’m not calling out Or supporting any side of politics, I’m just logically looking at both sides of the argument.

she owned/operated a 19 chair/booth salon. She asked those employees, they wanted to open, so they opened. Personally. I think ALL of those individuals should receive the letters, fines, tickets for disobeying the mandates.

Supposedly the owner and employees said all of these mandates are against civic rights, can’t be enforced, etc. ok, fine if that’s the way of it and they don’t want “the man” “big brother” whoever telling them what they can and can’t do against their given constitutionalists rights; then her and those 19 employees should have relinquished any and all stimulus checks and small business monies. If they are so against the government, why are they ok taking their money.

Her jailing was for contempt. Now I personally don’t know the consequences of contempt if the judge can tell you to apologize or go to jail or if there’s a set punishment. But if she was in contempt and the punishment was for jail, then she should have sucked it up and did her time.

And that circulates back to.....if she didnt want the government butting in....why did she accept Abbott’s “pardon” so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter