• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guy with no kids spends a night in Cinderella's Suite

How many years has WWTBAM been closed?

As for Animal Kingdom, it's 10 years old. It's missed it's attendance numbers, Beastly Kingdom died. It's widely considered a half day park. I was more tolerant of it back when it started out (plus I was ignorant) but after 10 years, this place should be so much more. In 1965, after 10 years, how much had been added to Disneyland?

Millionaire just closed last August. So if you have not been there in the past 8 months you would not know it was closed.

As for Animal Kingdom, they just need to keep expanding it. So far it has the best stage show, The Festival of the Lion King, and the best ride, Expedition Everest, in WDW.
Millionaire was actually born out of a carpet bombing strategy that almost took ABC down. It was only open a few years and was a way to capitalize on a fad.

E:E is a good attraction. All things considered, a plus.

Buzz is fun, and reasonably popular, but even on this they went pretty cheap. They relied on the interactive aspect (i.e., its a video game) and didn't do all they could have with the sets and effects. Not a dud, but it's also not exactly a example of Disney imagineering at its best.

Then there's Mission:Space, Stitch's Encounter, Two Imagination re-do's, Tiki Room Under New Management, Chester and Hester's, and various attractions left without updating or even at times basic maintenance. If we go west, there's DCA and Tomorrowland.

In fairness, a few other winners have come out that you didn't mention.

They are already demolishing and rebuilding the Millionaire building to make a Toy Story ride. This ride is supposed to be similar to Buzz Lightyear. But they are taking it to the next level. They have found what they could do better and are doing it.

As for Animal Kingdom, they just need to keep expanding it. So far it has the best stage show, The Festival of the Lion King, and the best ride, Expedition Everest, in WDW.

Best show and best ride? I think you'd get a lot of disagreement on that, especially for the ride, even from the rosiest of rose colored glass wearers.

But that's just a matter of personal preference. Certainly it has been a hit for AK. It's long term impact of course, won't be know for awhile.

I agree they need to continue expansion at AK, but I highly doubt there is going to be much more expansion. Perhaps some more restaurants and some kind of nighttime entertainment, MAYBE another attraction. But I'm guessing other changes will be replacements, not true expansions.

Look at MGM and you can get an idea of what Disney now considers a complete Disney park, and it really doesn't have much more to do than AK.

They are already demolishing and rebuilding the Millionaire building to make a Toy Story ride. This ride is supposed to be similar to Buzz Lightyear. But they are taking it to the next level. They have found what they could do better and are doing it.

That's all well and good (if the idea of playing ring toss with a Woody is appealing to you), but the point is they could have done better with Buzz. It's not like they put everything they had into it and just didn't yet have the ability to do better.

TS Mania was an attraction designed for DCA's Paradise Pier area (hence the midway games theme) that they decided to simply make two of and put the other in MGM. Of course we won't know how well its executed until its completed, but there's plenty to be wary of on this with regard to the concept.

I'll agree that E:E is a really cool ride, not worthy of the hype, but great fun nonetheless but it isn't groundbreaking or totallyfreakinstupendouslysuperoutofthisworld great. It's just very fun, IMO.

As for AK itself, it is (unbelievable to many) my daughter and my favorite park BUT they had better address actual animals again real soon or my opinion could sour.

Oh, as to the best show (Legend of the Lion King), it may be the best show currently running but Hunchback was far suprior and look what happened to it.
pirate:

Hunchback was a great, great show, and arguably brought attention to a Disney movie that otherwise has been largely lost. I enjoy the Lion King show, but that's not a movie that has any chance of becoming lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter