Guy with no kids spends a night in Cinderella's Suite

Great post DisOrBust. This really highlights what's wrong with these promotions. Appealing to the base sensory feelings of the guests and particularily the children of guests is not magical nor is it even very nice.

Many, many people are obviously impressed by great marketing strategies but then again Wal Mart is always busy and chain restaurants are putting mom and pop out of business so I guess it should come as no surprise.

I find it sad that Eisner brought Disney down to a number crunching company but at least he did institute some things that were still quality oriented (Disney on Broadway, The Cruise Line) but Iger seems content to just market, market, market ... But I guess we've got nothing to worry about, after all he did such a great job with ABC (hey Bob, Desperate Housewives and Lost are both hits, how come you were against them?:happytv: ).

I hear next year's promotion Is "Year of Lighter Wallet".
pirate:

Earlier on this thread I mentioned the latest radio ads for DL talking about how the cm's create magic for guests everyday and that's part of the YOAMD.

The latest Disneyland TV ad focuses on "behind the scenes" at the park when it's closed and how the CM's prepare everyday for the YOAMD. I guess it's their sequel to the ads that feature those two dogs alone in the park. That ad was cute. This one with the walking gingerbread cookies is lame.

If they want to focus on CM's preparing to create magic, perhaps they should show the maintenance workers in their blue jackets and coveralls. Show what really goes on behind the scenes.

Perhaps this is the focus on Disney's ads because they don't want to feature people being granted "dreams" and generate massive complaints here that they arent diverse in their advertising. A computer generated cookie, magically growing flower beds, et. all. are safe.

One question for the east coasters. Do they have similar ads for WDW. I know they did the dog ad for both parks, I am just wondering if they did this the same way. We also get the "Wow only $1,600 for a week" one too. And our radio ads have the "adults play for the kids price" with a hundred restrictions added.

This thread is pretty long, but did anyone point out that the real walt disney would have had "Another Voice" tried in congress for his communist "we're all the same" views?! :lmao:

we also have the awful gingerbread cookies and 1600$/week commercial. they both stink, but i havent seen the dog one. bring back kelsey grammar...

It is worth noting VIP guests have always been on a different level - and they pay dearly for that opportunity.. same as anyone with money can do. Those without money -- good luck. That's the way it has ALWAYS been at Disney.

You want to spend a night in the castle? Buy a ticket, and go to the park. You're on equal footing with everyone else who shows up that day between opening and about 10:30am.

OTOH, If you have 12500$ you could join Club 33 at Disneyland. Currently it's about a three to five year wait unless you know someone at Disney HQ who can speed you through the waiting list.
J

Despite being Canadian :grouphug: you make a great point. I am glad someone pointed out the fact that not everyone can have everything, it wouldn't be special if we all stayed in the castle, and how cool is it that you can win a chance rather than pay for the right. As a parent you should feel good telling your kids that it's just luck (most of life is right) and not have to feel bad that you can't spend the money to make them happy. I'm not a parent, but both my fiance and baby sister think they're going to get to stay in the castle. They're both nuts but they're realistic enough to dream about it rather than complain about how unfair it is that not everyone can. COME ON. bunch of goofballs...

Despite being Canadian you make a great point. I am glad someone pointed out the fact that not everyone can have everything...

You're right... perhaps dealing in the absolute everything for everyone is technically inaccurate.

However, we cannot reasonably deny the fact that there has been a significant move towards extra "pay for the privilege" experiences, and these sometimes come at the expense of other guests.

The Club 33 analogy isn't even entirely appropriate because it wasn't originally conceived to be what it is today. Walt wanted it as a place to entertain guests and sponsors in a private setting, not just to create an exclusive country club with memberships being put on the open market.

Its got to tell you something when the only counters to all of the complaints are things like somebody getting a tour from a buddy, and Walt's own private dining room. The point is that things have most certainly changed significantly in this area.

Its one thing for someone to say they agree with the move, but its quite another to try to deny it has happened.

staying at the contemporary versus staying at some cut-rate holiday inn in the 70's was still "paying for a privelege"

you can't win that particular argument...

staying at the contemporary versus staying at some cut-rate holiday inn in the 70's was still "paying for a privelege"

you can't win that particular argument...

The Holiday Inn?

We're talking about Disney guests being treated equally. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn, you are not a guest of the Contemporary. Nobody is suggesting Disney give there parks or resorts away for free.

However, if you stayed at the Holiday Inn in the '70s and bought a ticket to the MK, in the MK you were treated the same as somebody who stayed at the Contemporary.

The position is, once you bought your ticket and walked in the door, you were treated equally, or at least closer to it than what can happen today.

My analogy was just meant to polarize your understanding, and isn't really related to the "winning chances" of the YOMD. Moreso it's presented as Disney has always been about "you get what you pay for" and for the most part you can pay for a "better" experience - or you can choose not to. I think the oppurtunity to win things that AREN't even purchasable by the "richest" visitors reinvents some of the magic for the adults.

Actually, the vast majority of the things associated with the "you get what you pay for" mentality were administered by the Eisner and now Iger regimes. Things were not always this way, certainly not to the extent they have now reached. That continues to be the point.

I think the oppurtunity to win things that AREN't even purchasable by the "richest" visitors reinvents some of the magic for the adults.
No, it just feeds some adults rather sad egos.

Everyone that’s every been to WDW had wanted to know what the inside of the castle looked like. I think Real Disney would have figured out a way of showing a lot of people, allowing as many people as possible to experience the “magic” – that’s why they opened up the inside of the castle at Euro Disney (complete with a dragon deep underneath).

But today’s Disney isn’t interested in creating for the joy of it, nor creating anything that would simply be popular. Guests are wallets, the only interest Disney has is to see how quickly they are to empty. Conning eight year girls that they too can live in the castle works pretty good, especially if the parents fall for the con too.

Yes, the “fans” have a lot to do with this as well. The trend has been both encouraged and exploited by Disney. The idea that “happiness” is just a purchase away. That all you have to do to get “magic” in your life is spend a college tuition on DVC points, fill your house with snowglobes and have the longest list of stays at the bottom of your posts.

I like the poster that wrote you should tell your children that life is nothing but luck (the universal excuse of losers everywhere). Hard work, that has nothing to do with getting what you want. Wrap yourself up in the right brand and that solves any self esteem problem you might have. The Brand will take care of you, it will grant all your wishes.

And if not, you didn’t deserve them anyway.

Yes, I am being naïve. But the reason I first grew interested in Disney, and why my family embraced it, was because the company’s movies taught good lessons about life. About hope, about faith, about trust, about standing up for yourself when all the world as against you – about the joy of childhood and the responsibility of growing up.

I’d rather have my daughter growing up knowing that ‘Cinderella’ means that those of a good and kind heart will see their dreams come true over the selfish people who plot and scheme.

All ‘Million Dream’ would teach her is that only lucky, marketing-appropriate people sleep in castles.

Right, but now relate that to the YOMD.

That correlation is a little abstract in my mind, however the same type of strategic thinking leads to both.

I have bigger issues with YOMD. Its a questionable promotion that even if successful in the short run could backfire in the long run. It's the continuation of a marketing over substance strategy for growth. It was poorly planned. Even the die hard fans get caught in a catch-22... they say you should go just to have fun and not worry about winning anything, yet if the "dreams" being given away aren't the reason for anybody going, it would completely fail as a marketing promotion.

"Even a childless tatooed 27 year old guy" can enjoy WDW-
it took you awhile, but you did, come on, we all know you did-
I mean, you took the bait------bath tub and all!!!!lol

Just between me and you........it's not a club or a place to pick up your next hottie=but you did have a good time, didn't you?!!!!
Bravo for taking another family with you, sounds like you all marveled in the glory!
good for you!

You have given me a good laugh. I have only been home a few hour from my two week FL adventure, myself and reading the disboards is keeping me posted on everything and getting me ready for my April trip!:woohoo:
Thanks, you made my day!!!!!
:hippie:

on my first trip to WDW my then 5yr old asked a cm tto tell cindi that we were going home and would see her next year. (the line to see her in the judges tent was too long and we didn't feel like waiting) I had told her to just tell miniie and shew would tell cindi nbut that wasn't good enough so instead we told the cm. after that she was okay to go home. when we were in with minnie the cm came in to tell my girls she had a surprise for them. She made their dreams come true when she brought us nin to say goodbye to cindi. We will enjoy our trip in May even if we don't winn anything. Thats not why we are going. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

“Naked in the tub” is far less crass than the roller skating tequila shot babes down at
Pleasure Island, the guy thrusting his camera in my families face when we want to look at the castle, or the “you want to see a princess, cough up fifty bucks for a meal” scam. Whether it’s overpriced “concierge level” rooms for hotel services that everyone used to get, blocking the exits to rides with shops and trinket carts – Disney has more than it’s share of porkish behavior.
The part of this comment that bothered me is that you said there was a camera thrusted in your face. That should never happen. Disney has taken over and designed Photopass so that that would not happen. Kodak's system was based on selling pictures. Disney's is different... it was designed to be a service to the guests rather than a hard sell. The photographers are there to help families capture every magical moment. Nobody should be trying to sell you anything, unless you want it. Another example of how they are trying to change Disney to be more guest friendly... have you ever noticed that the CM's who sell popcorn and the like do not shout anything and just walk around wearing buttons with the prices? Can you believe people actually complain that the CM's don't shout now?

Unfortunately, guests can be rude and interpret things however they see fit. For example if you are standing off to the side somewhere alone a man with a camera may approach you to ask you how your day is going... simply because that is the job of every cast member... to make sure that you are enjoying your vacation at Disney World. However, if you are one of the rude guests you will not engage in a conversation with this person and learn that they are just trying to wish you well. If you are one of the rude guests you will put up your hand when they welcome you to the park or tell them you are not interested in a harsh tone of voice before they have a chance to wish you a magical day. Cast Members really believe in their jobs of making Disney a magical place... but the only way you wouldn't know that is if you are one of the rude guests...

More people complain about bad experiences with CM's than praise the good ones

This is true with everything not just Disney. This is a problem with society... People are more likely to complain about something going wrong then to praise someone for doing something amazing anywhere. People can just be ungrateful.

. If Disney really offered a place that people wanted to see, there would be no need for free dining plans and churro giveaways.
Disney offers free dining plans in September because attendance is low. Attendance is not low because people don't want to go. It's low because it's an inconvient time of year to go with school starting. However, there seems to be an increase in British visitors who stay for a couple weeks during that time.

If they want to focus on CM's preparing to create magic, perhaps they should show the maintenance workers in their blue jackets and coveralls. Show what really goes on behind the scenes.
They actually do have an ad with a show keeper.

The Holiday Inn?

We're talking about Disney guests being treated equally. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn, you are not a guest of the Contemporary. Nobody is suggesting Disney give there parks or resorts away for free.

However, if you stayed at the Holiday Inn in the '70s and bought a ticket to the MK, in the MK you were treated the same as somebody who stayed at the Contemporary.

The position is, once you bought your ticket and walked in the door, you were treated equally, or at least closer to it than what can happen today.

Honestly, treatment of those guests who stay in an offsite hotel as opposed to an onsite one is not that much different. Most offsite hotels have shuttles. And Extra magic hours isn't even worth using. It's actually better to go to the parks that don't have any extra magic hours that day. You'll get to do more during your normal park hours then all the guests that spent 15 hours at the Magic Kingdom.

"Even a childless tatooed 27 year old guy" can enjoy WDW-
it took you awhile, but you did, come on, we all know you did-
I mean, you took the bait------bath tub and all!!!!lol

Just between me and you........it's not a club or a place to pick up your next hottie=but you did have a good time, didn't you?!!!!
Bravo for taking another family with you, sounds like you all marveled in the glory!
good for you!

You have given me a good laugh. I have only been home a few hour from my two week FL adventure, myself and reading the disboards is keeping me posted on everything and getting me ready for my April trip!:woohoo:
Thanks, you made my day!!!!!
:hippie:

Agreed... I found the article quite amusing. Although I disagree with Disney World not being the place to pick up your next hottie... haha it's a great place to meet someone who loves Disney as much as you do. :) That is of course if that is what you are looking for.

For example if you are standing off to the side somewhere alone a man with a camera may approach you to ask you how your day is going... simply because that is the job of every cast member...
The guy or gal standing in the middle of the bridge blocking my view of the Tree of Life is not there to wish me a "magical" day.

They are there to take my picture.

They take my picture because I will give Disney another few bucks beyond the thousands I am already spending on so-so hotels, bad food, and half day theme parks like Animal Kingdom.

They have to take my picture becuase Disney is off spending all my hotel, dining and admission money on get-rich-quick schemes, executive bonuses and buying cheesy British television shows they can knock off.

They have to take my picture because running an ages old carny scam like "how many wallet sized do you want" is a lot easier than building attractions people want to see. "Cheap and easy" has become the new "magic" of the Company.

I choose not to particiapte in Disney's revenue enhancement programs. My enjoyment of the parks does not come from paying more for what I already have; my enjoyment of the parks does not depend on getting things other people can't have.

Photopass, desert shows, blinking trading pins, and free churros - those aren't Disney no matter how many times they can cram the word "magic" into their description.

The guy or gal standing in the middle of the bridge blocking my view of the Tree of Life is not there to wish me a "magical" day.

They are there to take my picture.

They take my picture because I will give Disney another few bucks beyond the thousands I am already spending on so-so hotels, bad food, and half day theme parks like Animal Kingdom.

They have to take my picture becuase Disney is off spending all my hotel, dining and admission money on get-rich-quick schemes, executive bonuses and buying cheesy British television shows they can knock off.

They have to take my picture because running an ages old carny scam like "how many wallet sized do you want" is a lot easier than building attractions people want to see. "Cheap and easy" has become the new "magic" of the Company.

I choose not to particiapte in Disney's revenue enhancement programs. My enjoyment of the parks does not come from paying more for what I already have; my enjoyment of the parks does not depend on getting things other people can't have.

Photopass, desert shows, blinking trading pins, and free churros - those aren't Disney no matter how many times they can cram the word "magic" into their description.

You've totally missed the mark on this...
None of the photographers are in the way... The photographers aren't paid on commission...so they could stand there all day just talking to guests, helping them, and taking pictures on their own cameras and it wouldn't make a difference. They are supposed to do that... service comes before making a sale.

I am so sorry for you that you are bitter and can only see the negative side of things and believe everything is designed to scam poor little you... because you'll never fully enjoy Disney the way it is meant to be with your attitude.

Which Cheesy British TV Shows?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter