Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
The legend continues ....

DISMeet 4 image.png

Another get together of DIS campers is happening in May 2019 around Memorial Day weekend and the week following. We've got plenty of repeat visitors planning to come, some new faces to toss into the mix, and the usual tall tales to swap and laugh over. Personally I enjoy these events which is why I keep coming back.

Like I said, this will be the 4th annual gathering. Previous Trip Reports can be found here:

2018: https://www.disboards.com/threads/gulf-state-park-dismeet-2018-sand-sun-and-puzzles.3662354/

2017: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-gulf-state-park-dismeet-2017-thread-aka-the-sequel.3571999/

2016: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...-at-gulf-state-park-in-may-june-2016.3462415/

And the baseline, the initial event that I consider year "zero" where two guys who to like to camp were at Gulf SP at the same time and their families had dinner together.

2015: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-small-dis-camping-meet-occurred-tonight.3414791/

From the 2018 thread, I have copied forward the dates and site numbers reserved for 2019. I will update this list if new attendees post in this thread or anyone's dates change.

Ftw Mike, #95, May 23-28 ****** cancelled ********
garneska, #93, May 23-29
PaHunter, #61, May 23-30
grumpyaggie/friendofeeyore, #3, May 23-30 ***** cancelled *****
bama_ed, #4, May 26-June 1
Teamubr, #2, May 24-June1
tiggerdad, #18, May 23-June 1
judyfun, #28 & #30, May 24-June 2
Flametamr, #8, May 22-May 31
Southalabama5er, #20, May 24-June 2
JD251, #32, May 24-June 2
Bishoparc, #16, May 26-June 1*
DirtyWhiteBoy (Nic?)
Patrick

* - reserved but maybe

By now the actual Memorial Day weekend is pretty booked up but spots appear to be available on the weekdays following the holiday. All sites have h20, sewer, 20/30/50A, paved, picnic table, and a charcoal grill. My DW highly approves of the comfort stations. There is NO wifi so you will have to tether/hotspot to read the DIS while you are there. There is a pool and splashpad and the park is fabulous for bikes and walking. The beach is within a bike ride or walk but there is no on the beach camping. Reservations can be made at:

https://www.alapark.com/gulf-state-park

Choose the "Book Online Campground Reservations Now" option. Most sites are around $50 a night a one night's fee is the deposit. We try to camp in the same area (section 2) of the map that returns search results. We are just inside the arrival gate area along Bobcat, Sumac, and Live Oak Roads on the left side below.

Here is the campsite map to use to see where the site numbers above are near to:

Campground-Map-1_3.jpg

We have some group dinners but it is highly unscheduled. Refer to the past trip reports above to get a feel for how things go.

And yes, I will have puzzles out again this year (that's my thing). Early in the morning, folks bring their coffee and we spend some quiet time working on a Disney puzzle (got a new 1,000 piece for this year's trip).

If you have a question, please ask us.

Bama Ed

PS - this thread has a list of things to do in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL. And you can do mostly nothing (my favorite) or nap in the AC (my DW's choice). It's a family oriented, relaxing place with some good restaurants.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-question-for-our-gulf-shores-clan.3725368/

Last edited:
Thanks, Ed, for kicking this off. It was one of the recent highlights of the Winter and gets me through until warmer camping weather.

It looks like a big group this time around. Live Oak at the 'T' should be DIS Meet central again.

j

Thanks, Ed, for kicking this off. It was one of the recent highlights of the Winter and gets me through until warmer camping weather.

It looks like a big group this time around. Live Oak at the 'T' should be DIS Meet central again.

j

Jim,

It sounds like the winter/spring storylines are to see if SouthAlabama5er can get his trailer problems fixed and if Tiggerdad (who sold his trailer and is currently looking) can find and take possession of a new-to-him trailer. I hope they will be at Gulf but it has to all play out.

I have to get through my spring break trip in March to Florida again then sights can be firmly set on Gulf.

And I recently made a Gulf SP reservation for November (a great time to be at the beach) for a Thur-Mon reservation back on Bobcat Rd (my favorite place to be in the colder months - less windy).

This will be about my 40th year of going to Gulf Shores (my memory is foggy - 1st year was either '78 or '79). And it's still fun.

Bama Ed

Oh yeah! That time again. Glad to see this thread pop up.

I'll plan to be there, no doubt. We're looking for a camper, but not pushing for it currently. Weather is too bad, ground to wet, etc. to think about it right now. Plus, the DW and DDs are wanting me to put in a pool for this year so I've gotta allow funds for that to happen. That is limiting my commitment to a better down payment on a new 5er but we'll keep looking none the less.

If all else fails, I'll bring my tent and portable AC unit. Bottom line: I'll be there. It'll just be me and youngest DD this trip as DW and oldest DD are going to Washington DC for field trip (also costing good bit of money and trampling the down payment funds even more). However, the oldest DD has been talking about this field trip for a few years and so no way I'll let her miss it. The plus side, is that the DW won't be able to hit the outlet malls, so this does help my bank account considerably.

As has been the case in past visits, it seems to grow a few members each time. Some of us have had to cancel prior to the event, but for the most part it usually holds together pretty well. Hopefully this year there won't be any "freak" pre hurricane season cyclones this year.

Last edited:
If all else fails, I'll bring my tent and portable AC unit. Bottom line: I'll be there.
Michael,

We aren't planning on bringing anyone with us this year. If the camper shopping doesn't pan out, I have plenty of room for a couple more.

Funny about the pool. Our above ground decided to drain itself at the end of the season. It did the same thing last year, but never dropped much below the skimmer. When I filled it last Spring, it stayed full all Summer until September when I was going to close it. Unfortunately, this Winter, it decided to completely drain itself. It was a used pool from a friends backyard when I put it in 12 years ago. I've been looking at the in-ground pools you can do yourself and may do that this year. It's not too expensive, considering I already have a good pump/filter and the rest of the equipment.

j

Yes exciting seeing @bama_ed start this year's thread. I'm agreeing with @tiggerdad one way or the other we'll be there. We're waiting and hoping to hear from Dutchmen this week regarding our camper. Fingers are crossed for some good news. If all else falls I'll bring my 18 wheeler and will have plenty of room and a big a/c unit to share with Michael and Madison! :laughing:

Yes exciting seeing @bama_ed start this year's thread. I'm agreeing with @tiggerdad one way or the other we'll be there. We're waiting and hoping to hear from Dutchmen this week regarding our camper. Fingers are crossed for some good news. If all else falls I'll bring my 18 wheeler and will have plenty of room and a big a/c unit to share with Michael and Madison! :laughing:

That's what I'm talking about! A 53' reefer trailer should take care of it for sure.

Also, just want to put this out there, but I'm in the mood to go back to NAS Pensacola and see some planes again. Anybody else interested? I'm watching for the practice schedule but it usually doesn't come out until about March or so. Will post it when it shows.

Jim, thanks for the offer. Would feel like I was taking advantage of you if I did. Besides, Madison snores. Don't tell her I said that though:rolleyes1

What's this I hear about a statue of me possibly going up at the Tanger Outlet? Heard this rumor going around but I haven't been notified of it yet, though I have certainly paid for it I assure you! That's one place I WILL NOT miss this trip.

I love watching and reading this thread! I wish wish wish we were close enough to do this!!! Can’t make such long trip in “school season” without a week break Rest assured, will be enjoying a virtual seat around all the activities!

I love watching and reading this thread! I wish wish wish we were close enough to do this!!! Can’t make such long trip in “school season”
You know they have cabins. Shouldn't you get frequent flier miles or something. :D

j

Thanks Ed for getting the new thread up and running. Time to start wishing for Spring even though the cold is just hitting here. Looking forward to our Dismeet. Hopefully nothing interferes with it this year. Some local news to pass on. Today they opened the new Buc-ee's travel center at I-10 and the Baldwin Beach Express. It is like a truck stop for cars. Has 50,000 feet of shopping and food and 120 gas pumps. No semi trucks allowed. Great place to stop when you exit the interstate and take a short break before rolling in to the campgrounds.

Thanks Ed for getting the new thread up and running. Time to start wishing for Spring even though the cold is just hitting here. Looking forward to our Dismeet. Hopefully nothing interferes with it this year. Some local news to pass on. Today they opened the new Buc-ee's travel center at I-10 and the Baldwin Beach Express. It is like a truck stop for cars. Has 50,000 feet of shopping and food and 120 gas pumps. No semi trucks allowed. Great place to stop when you exit the interstate and take a short break before rolling in to the campgrounds.

Was wondering if some of the pumps would be easily accessible for trucks pulling campers. RV pumps if you will. If anyone is around the place and happens to check it out let us know. It certainly looked impressive last time I rode by in October.

So, I guess this means the likes of Chris and soon to be Michael and me aren't welcome?

120 pumps, it seems we could take up 3 or 4.

j

My license plate says my Class 8 identifies as a truck. :drive:

Maybe it's just semi trailers that aren't allowed. That is specifically what the article Ed posted said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!