Guest charge for parking rumors

Personally I don't think Disney would charge DVC to pay to park at DVC resorts on a points stay. Cash stays might be different.

I do think if this comes to pass, it will again be due to abuse of the resort parking lots by guests that do not stay there but bypass the park lots by staying in the resort lots all day. At times you literally can not find a parking space at the Polynesian, even if you are staying there.

I would be in favor of a pay to park except at your resort. If you want to dine at another resort you either pay to park, pay to valet, unless it's another DVC resort or take Disney transportation.

Personally I don't think Disney would charge DVC to pay to park at DVC resorts on a points stay. Cash stays might be different.

I do think if this comes to pass, it will again be due to abuse of the resort parking lots by guests that do not stay there but bypass the park lots by staying in the resort lots all day. At times you literally can not find a parking space at the Polynesian, even if you are staying there.

I agree parking is a problem at the Polynesion and MK area resorts, but there are ways to enforce it..require a confirmation number at the gate for a dining reservation or spa/salon appointment. Have an assigned area for those guests to park, and limit their time.

I would be in favor of a pay to park except at your resort. If you want to dine at another resort you either pay to park, pay to valet, unless it's another DVC resort or take Disney transportation.

What a pain it would be to enforce this...the guard shack would have to double as parking payment kiosk, and the parking tags would have to be easily identifiable (by color or special logo) for each resort. The logistics would be a nightmare.

I agree parking is a problem at the Polynesion and MK area resorts, but there are ways to enforce it..require a confirmation number at the gate for a dining reservation or spa/salon appointment. Have an assigned area for those guests to park, and limit their time.

What a pain it would be to enforce this...the guard shack would have to double as parking payment kiosk, and the parking tags would have to be easily identifiable (by color or special logo) for each resort. The logistics would be a nightmare.

I don't think it would be that bad, Gaylord Palms charges and they seem to have it under control. Guests would be a given a parking pass that they would have to show to the guard. Really no different than what they do at Sea Pines at Hilton Head. Those that are staying there do not have to pay and those that are not, do. It works fine there too.

But I like your earlier suggestion too. People without an ADR or spa time, would have to take Disney transportation to just look around. You would still have to enforce the parking lot though and I don't see them doing that.

I am glad you feel that way.
And so what this comes down to is how many guests feel which way. My point is that whether they charge for parking isn't a black-and-white "that is wrong" issue. It depends on, basically, whether they determine it is a good idea from their standpoint, based on their research.

After digging through my POS, I see that "pavement resurfasing" is a capital expenditure covered by the reserve account, so yes, it is included in our dues.
Capital costs, not operating costs? Well there you go. The parking fee can go towards paying for additional security for the lot. So both owners and guests are paying for the capital costs of the parking lot through either dues or room rates (just like we contribute to the capital costs associated with the spa services, restaurants, the extra dock space necessary for Illuminations cruises, etc.) so the service is available for us to patronize if we choose to pay for it, the fee being used to cover the additional costs associated with the operating costs (security guards).

I agree parking is a problem at the Polynesion and MK area resorts, but there are ways to enforce it..require a confirmation number at the gate for a dining reservation or spa/salon appointment.
Just like Disney requires that guests not bring their own food into the parks? Just like Disney requires (required?) that guests over the age of 9 not order child meals? Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that Disney relies on the integrity of their guests to voluntarily comply with, that guests simply ignore. "Requiring" something is a pretty impotent way of making it happen. Unfortunately, charging for it seems to be much more effective.

Again, my point is not that they should do this, but that it is something they can decide to do if they find it better for them. The two examples I gave above are scenarios where they've chosen not to apply draconian measures to force compliance, allowing guests to violate their policies with impunity. That's Disney's choice, not a fait accomplis.

The point is that the pavement costs are covered by our dues, through the reserve account, just like furniture, appliances, roofs, and all scheduled "rehab" type items. Unless you think they'll add coin slots to use the stove or refrigerator, or sit in a chair, which are also "capital expenditures" then I don't think they'll be charging for parking lot usage. Or should we pay $10 per night extra for a room with a roof?

Chuck, I'm not sure if my writing just isn't clear enough. If so, I'm sorry about that. The point I was making is that our capital fund already goes to support the availability of some services which they charge us extra for if we choose to patronize, so they could just do the same for parking if they wished. Not everything that the capital fund supports is like that, but some things are.

I hope that's clearer.

"Requiring" something is a pretty impotent way of making it happen. Unfortunately, charging for it seems to be much more effective.

I dunno about that, they "require" you to prove you live in the same house to get a DVC discounted AP. They "require" you show ID to get FL resident passes. They "require" you show ID to check-in to your room.

Chuck, I'm not sure if my writing just isn't clear enough. If so, I'm sorry about that. The point I was making is that our capital fund already goes to support the availability of some services which they charge us extra for if we choose to patronize, so they could just do the same for parking if they wished. Not everything that the capital fund supports is like that, but some things are.

I hope that's clearer.

You mentioned the phone. They don't charge you to call room to room. It is calls off-property, handled by an outside provider, that we are charged for. The internet service is the same way, an outside provider. They don't charge us to use the recreational facilities. They do charge for boat rentals and bike rentas, but I don't think those items are paid for by members. They don't charge us to use the sauna or fitness centers, they do charge for spa services...those are personal services provided by an outside company. Heck, they don;t even charge us to use the pool slide at OKW, and its construction wasn't paid for by members, but the maintenance is.

I dunno about that, they "require" you to prove you live in the same house to get a DVC discounted AP. They "require" you show ID to get FL resident passes. They "require" you show ID to check-in to your room.
I think the difference in each case is that you're at a point where you are paying for something, in the cases you outlined, admission passes or for a hotel stay. How do you account for so many other requirements that Disney has that guests refuse to comply with voluntarily? People are really selfish sometimes. I'll tell you a story. I used to be a security guard at a movie theater. The theater was an older theater, with very strict regulations we had to follow about capacity. We had to ensure the entire facility was empty before we could allow folks in for the next show. So as to not hold up the next show, we would close the rest rooms at the moment the film was over. I cannot tell you how many self-important people would stand there arguing with a security guard that they must go to the rest room right there right now, despite the fact that there were 660 ticket-holder standing outside in the snow waiting to get in. Never underestimate the selfish nature of some people.

They do charge for boat rentals and bike rentas, but I don't think those items are paid for by members.
Sorry Chuck, I don't buy it. I think you're making some of this stuff up. :) I don't think you know for sure what the capital fund really does go to support.

They don't charge us to use the sauna or fitness centers, they do charge for spa services...those are personal services provided by an outside company.
So all they need to do to charge us for parking is outsource the parking lot security to an outside company, right?

I'll bow out of this aspect of the discussion by saying only this: If there are operating costs, in addition to capital costs, they're well within their rights to charge us a fee for the service, if it is in their best interest to do so.

I am glad you feel that way. I think we would start trading out and trying different places with our points.

Paying for food and tickets for four adults is tough for us as it is. Add an additional and in my opinion ludicrious charge for parking at the resort we are stayin at??? It would very easily push us off going to WDW as often.

You know, I wanted to respong to this post before but thought better of it.

Risking sounding mean, and I'm not: If the cost of parking, food and tickets is too much for your family then you should sell DVC and NOW.

DVC is for those that have the disposable income to cover ALL of the related trip expenses.

If $10 a day to park is stretching your budget you shouldn't have bought DVC in the first place.

Sorry Chuck, I don't buy it. I think you're making some of this stuff up. :) I don't think you know for sure what the capital fund really does go to support.

So all they need to do to charge us for parking is outsource the parking lot security to an outside company, right?

I'll bow out of this aspect of the discussion by saying only this: If there are operating costs, in addition to capital costs, they're well within their rights to charge us a fee for the service, if it is in their best interest to do so.

Chapter 4, section 2, Budget:

...In addition to annual operating expenses, the budget shall include reserve accounts for capital expenditures and deferred maintenance. These accounts shall include, but not be limited to, roof replacement, building painting and pavement resurfacing....

What "operating costs" would there be for a parking lot, other than the guard, insurance and taxes? And our dues cover all of those.

Risking sounding mean, and I'm not: If the cost of parking, food and tickets is too much for your family then you should sell DVC and NOW.

DVC is for those that have the disposable income to cover ALL of the related trip expenses.

If $10 a day to park is stretching your budget you shouldn't have bought DVC in the first place.

Surely you aren't suggesting that only those with an unlimited travel budget buy into DVC? Everyone budgets part of their income for recreation and travel.

You have been stating that DVC/Disney service and quality is degrading, but now you think it is OK to charge for parking that was included when we bought, even though our dues pay the upkeep?

Okay, I have read the entire thread.

When I stay at the Four Seasons, Philly and the HRH Orlando, I had to pay a perking fee.

After reading all the posts, and using my own life experiences; I have come to the following conclusion.

This is another way to stop the commercial renters!

-Tony

At the risk of sounding like butthead, $10 per day wouldn't touch our budget and i think for the most part people who have the money for DVC probably aren't strapped for cash where $10 is going to hurt their budget either. Part of the reason that it wouldn't touch our budget is because I don't believe in just throwing money away for no reason. This sounds like a bs reason to get more money.

There is a point when it begins to get ridiculous and right now this is all rumor based so we may be speaking for no reason.

If they need money for revamping parking lots, etc., put in our dues so it could be recorded and not as some additional bs fee to make more money. Unless they plan on having someone come wash and vacuum the vehicle and place it under covered parking, $10 per day is just another bs fee. YMMV.

I am all for paying for a nice place, nice vacation, etc., but the tag fees is not the way to do it.

We are not owners but we do have an interest in these properties. Again, if we do allow the mouse just to add tag fees as he sees fit, we as DVC owners are stupid. YMMV

Hehe, probably both, to some extent, but I meant getting p-o'ed.

dumbo71 says : Risking sounding mean, and I'm not: If the cost of parking, food and tickets is too much for your family then you should sell DVC and NOW.

I don't think you're sounding mean dumbo, just don't agree with you for the most part. I'm sure there are some that cannot and should not be vacationing in wdw as much as they do......BUT.........
We always use disposable income to vacation, and I'm with DVC Jen on this. It's the principle of it. It feels like a disney/DVC vacation is turning into getting less, but costing more. It's about how we value where we spend our disposable cash (i.e. prefer to spend our "disposable" cash on a place where we feel we're not getting nickel'd and dime'd to death.....where quality remains (i.e. food/housekeeping etc).
So I surely don't think DVC Jen or I (or those who feel like us) cannot "afford" to vacation at wdw, but rather, we feel we want to stop and evaluate where we are getting the better deal for our money. Even though we use "fluff" money to vacation, I still prefer to use it wisely and in a way where I feel I'm getting the best use of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter