Guest Assistance Cards ending, to be replaced with Fastpasses?

We arrive in 12 days. Having a dh with spinal stenosis and a heart defibulator I am extremely perplexed reading this thread. Dh will not consider a wheelchair and I had just talked him into a GAC before the change. Exactly how much walking is involved in obtaining these fastpass type passes and do you have to go back and forth each day to obtain them?
We are a party of 10 so obviously we will rarely be on a ride together? Not that its a big deal as we are yearly guests - just first time with whole family all together. I already know dh will forego this entire ordeal and sit on a bench rather than feel a burden on us. His words-not mine. He does have a legit handicap placard for parking but never will do the back and forth of this new system.
I think for all the parents with young ones with any special needs this is a wonderful avenue to use and much needed. For a stubborn old guy like dh its going to be a nightmare. If we give it a try I will let you know.

We arrive in 12 days. Having a dh with spinal stenosis and a heart defibulator I am extremely perplexed reading this thread. Dh will not consider a wheelchair and I had just talked him into a GAC before the change. Exactly how much walking is involved in obtaining these fastpass type passes and do you have to go back and forth each day to obtain them?
We are a party of 10 so obviously we will rarely be on a ride together? Not that its a big deal as we are yearly guests - just first time with whole family all together. I already know dh will forego this entire ordeal and sit on a bench rather than feel a burden on us. His words-not mine. He does have a legit handicap placard for parking but never will do the back and forth of this new system.
I think for all the parents with young ones with any special needs this is a wonderful avenue to use and much needed. For a stubborn old guy like dh its going to be a nightmare. If we give it a try I will let you know.
This thread has information/FAQs about the DAS in post 1

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178976

Guests request a DAS card at Guest Relations. You explain what needs you have (so in his case, what are the issues that spinal stenosis and a heart defibrillator cause when he is waiting in line/going on attractions).
Some people with those conditions won't have any special needs and others may have a lot. He will need to talk to the CMs at Guest Relations so they know what his needs are.

DAS cards are usually issued for up 6 (5 plus the person with a disability), but may be issued for more. Reports are that if the group is more than 6, you will need to explain why you need an exception and the entire group will need to go to Guest Relations when the DAS is requested.
There are some attractions where you may need to split up because of space.

The person that the DAS is issued to doesn't need to go to each attraction to get a Return Time. He can give another person in your group his DAS and they can go to the attraction to get a Return Time for him.
The person with the DAS will need to be present to use the DAS when the return time comes send does need to actually ride.

I know you said he would not accept a wheelchair, what about an ECV?
My FIL had difficulty walking because of bad knees and hips. He spent a lot of time sitting on benches. Then one year, we finally talked him into using an ECV. At the end of the day, he said he had not realized how restricted by his mobility his days had become. He also saw things he hadn't been able to walk far enough into the park to see in the last 5 years.
And, he was able to stay in the park later and for the first time in years, his day did not end early and in pain.

I'm an 18 year old with autism and they already do something similar to this at Radiator Springs Racers. I get a GAC since I can't handle waiting for long periods of time. In the past 14 years, I've had a problem with it once (Disneyland Paris' Thunder Mountain was the only exception)>

This thread has information/FAQs about the DAS in post 1

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178976

Guests request a DAS card at Guest Relations. You explain what needs you have (so in his case, what are the issues that spinal stenosis and a heart defibrillator cause when he is waiting in line/going on attractions).
Some people with those conditions won't have any special needs and others may have a lot. He will need to talk to the CMs at Guest Relations so they know what his needs are.

DAS cards are usually issued for up 6 (5 plus the person with a disability), but may be issued for more. Reports are that if the group is more than 6, you will need to explain why you need an exception and the entire group will need to go to Guest Relations when the DAS is requested.
There are some attractions where you may need to split up because of space.

The person that the DAS is issued to doesn't need to go to each attraction to get a Return Time. He can give another person in your group his DAS and they can go to the attraction to get a Return Time for him.
The person with the DAS will need to be present to use the DAS when the return time comes send does need to actually ride.

I know you said he would not accept a wheelchair, what about an ECV?
My FIL had difficulty walking because of bad knees and hips. He spent a lot of time sitting on benches. Then one year, we finally talked him into using an ECV. At the end of the day, he said he had not realized how restricted by his mobility his days had become. He also saw things he hadn't been able to walk far enough into the park to see in the last 5 years.
And, he was able to stay in the park later and for the first time in years, his day did not end early and in pain.

Thank you, Sue M. You really made my day with your reply. I feel hopeful now that at least the promise of one of us obtaining the pass for DH will add some sunshine to this trip. I am very thankful to you for your most kind, clear response. I fill up every time I think of how he used to be the one running around the parks like a crazy person making sure our kids got on all the rides. I was the one on the bench watching strollers! Having the grand kids with us will probably drive him out of his depression once we get there. I know if he could back out of the trip entirely he would --- but its his birthday and the reason for the family gathering! Pixie dust and prayers will get me through.
Thanks again! pixiedust:

Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

We walked over to HM, but DS started getting panicky, so we didn't ride.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.

Thanks for the info Mrzrich! We will be going in 2 weeks and this is pretty much what I expected. I'm glad to hear that the CM let you go on a ride even though you hadn't used the last pass you had gotten. I know with my DS sometimes we need to change plans quickly and if he has had enough of hanging around one area of the park we may need to move on. Enjoy your trip! Linda :)

I'm an 18 year old with autism and they already do something similar to this at Radiator Springs Racers. I get a GAC since I can't handle waiting for long periods of time. In the past 14 years, I've had a problem with it once (Disneyland Paris' Thunder Mountain was the only exception)>

Thank you for being open to sharing your thoughts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter