Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

I'm glad you got to see Illuminations - I know you love that show, and it really is such a great way to end a Disney day! You got some great pictures.

Your Star Wars desserts look yummy. Although I do see the saddest paper in the world in that first picture...

I'm glad you got to see Illuminations - I know you love that show, and it really is such a great way to end a Disney day! You got some great pictures.

Your Star Wars desserts look yummy. Although I do see the saddest paper in the world in that first picture...
Thanks! Illuminations will forever be my favorite.

I didn't even realize that was in the photo! One more day...

I can't believe its our final day...

First a life update: I am currently on Spring Break. However if you were to look outside you would think it was Winter Break. We are nearing the end of getting 12+ inches of snow. This of course means no running outside. I also can't run inside since our basement is undergoing a bit of a remodel right now. It could be worse I guess.

Also, it's March so that can only mean one thing. March Madness! Personally it is my favorite time of the year for sports. I am running my annual bracket challenge again. I will be pulling for the Wisconsin Badgers and Marquette Golden Eagles! While neither will probably win if both can win the first game I will be happy.

Now for the dreaded final day...

We slept in a bit. No park for us today. We finished packing up our stuff and headed to Resort Airline Check-In. I really love this service. You don't have to worry about your bags until you return home.

Our flight wasn't until 4ish. So we had some time.

What would we do? Head to Disney Springs of course!

World of Disney was first. The Lego Cinderella Castle I so desperately want.

We had a pretty relaxed day. We just looked around seeing if there were any last minute items we wanted to pick up.

For lunch we went to the always good Wolfgang Pucks Express!

Salad for me. I believe Syd got Chicken tenders. I don't remember what my grandma got. The salad was quite good. If you need a quick service spot at Disney Springs I highly recommend Wolfgang Pucks Express.

We took the boat back to SSR. We still had some time before we left so we looked around the giftshop there and lounged in the lobby.

Then soon enough our DME bus came and it was time to go home.

Had to stop in the EarPort.

We boarded the plane as it began raining in Orlando.

And that is the last picture I have from this trip...

We arrived back to frigid temperatures in Milwaukee. I wanted to turn around and go right back to Orlando. What a trip it was!

Up Next: Final Thoughts/Reflections and the future!

Thanks so much for taking us all along on your adventures. Some great times had by all and it's always slightly less painful leaving Orlando when it's raining lol
Wishing you continued good luck with the running:)

I always hate when it's time to go home, but when it's rainy at least I don't feel as bad as when we're leaving the bright shiny sun behind us. Even though a rainy day in Disney World is FAR BETTER than a rainy day in Chicago....or a blizzardy day, like we're having right now. Took me 3 hours to get to work...only 16 miles away!!!!

Love that LEGO castle, too, by the way. I REALLY want it, but REALLY don't want to spend that much money on it!!

I want that lego castle too! I am hoping DH will spoil me and buy it while we are there. Idk how we will get it home tho​

You could always ship it home though that would cost more.

I always hate when it's time to go home, but when it's rainy at least I don't feel as bad as when we're leaving the bright shiny sun behind us. Even though a rainy day in Disney World is FAR BETTER than a rainy day in Chicago....or a blizzardy day, like we're having right now. Took me 3 hours to get to work...only 16 miles away!!!!

Love that LEGO castle, too, by the way. I REALLY want it, but REALLY don't want to spend that much money on it!!

Yep, right there with ya. I'll take a rainy day in WDW over a cold snowy day in WI.

The cost is the only thing holding me back.

Always sad when a Disney trip comes to an end. Looks like you made the most of the few hours you had left though. That Lego castle is pretty awesome!

Always sad when a Disney trip comes to an end. Looks like you made the most of the few hours you had left though. That Lego castle is pretty awesome!
We tried at least. Maybe I can get my grandma to get the Ledo castle for me for my birthday. That's probably a stretch though. The best part about leaving WDW is starting to plan for the next trip!

Last days are always sad. At least you guys got one last small dose of Disney!

I have to say ... I'm not in love with the LEGO Cinderella Castle. I don't know why, I just don't find it that exciting. I'm probably the only person in the world who feels that way...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, and I'm looking forward to reading some of your final thoughts on the trip!

Last days are always sad. At least you guys got one last small dose of Disney!

I have to say ... I'm not in love with the LEGO Cinderella Castle. I don't know why, I just don't find it that exciting. I'm probably the only person in the world who feels that way...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, and I'm looking forward to reading some of your final thoughts on the trip!
Yeah Disney Springs is a good way to end the trip.

I'd love to see Lego come or with more Disney parks sets.

Final thoughts will be here within the next day or two.

Binge read the last few updates, and enjoyed them so much! Congratulations again on accomplishing such amazing running feats! I am so impressed with not only the running (which is crazy on its own) but adding to that the EARLY wake up calls, the on your feet park time, and it really is something special. Thanks for sharing your great trip!

Binge read the last few updates, and enjoyed them so much! Congratulations again on accomplishing such amazing running feats! I am so impressed with not only the running (which is crazy on its own) but adding to that the EARLY wake up calls, the on your feet park time, and it really is something special. Thanks for sharing your great trip!
Thanks for following along! I have loved sharing it with all of you.

Aw, last days are always so sad. Earl of Sandwich is usually our QS option, but we may have to try WP next time.

We keep going back and forth on the Lego castle. Our biggest question is where we would put it in our house - because once we got it together we wouldn't want to take it apart! :)

Fun report! And an official congratulations on your (almost/essentially) Dopey Challenge! What an amazing accomplishment - and you'll be doing it again before you know it!

Aw, last days are always so sad. Earl of Sandwich is usually our QS option, but we may have to try WP next time.

We keep going back and forth on the Lego castle. Our biggest question is where we would put it in our house - because once we got it together we wouldn't want to take it apart! :)

Fun report! And an official congratulations on your (almost/essentially) Dopey Challenge! What an amazing accomplishment - and you'll be doing it again before you know it!
I've never tried Earl of Sandwich.

Yeah between price and where we would put it is hard.

Thanks!

Final Thoughts...

Well this trip report has finally come to an end. 9 wonderful days in my happy place. This was my longest trip ever, and the largest group I have ever traveled with.

I had a bunch of firsts on this trip.
- First Marathon
- First Signature Restaurant
- First ride on Astro Orbiter
- First Dessert Party
- First runDisney Challenge
- First time at the Wilderness Lodge
- First stay at Saratoga Springs

There were probably even more than that. I first want to reflect on Saratoga Springs. Was it my favorite resort? No. Would I stay there again? Yes. SSR is a lovely resort and I really liked how close it was to Disney Springs. I also liked our room location because it as close to the lobby and main pool. Beach Club still is my number one resort.

Now for the Dopey Challenge or I mean Grumpy Challenge. The two smaller races are a lot of fun especially when you run with people you know like I did in the 5K. I loved meeting many other Disers before the 10K as well. Then we have the cancelled half. Yes it was disappointing but there was nothing we could do and I was very happy with how Disney handled it. As for the marathon, it was by far the best race I have ever done. I never felt like I hit that wall, sure I got tired but I always had a smile on my face and kept moving. Spectators were amazing with their cheering and FREE FOOD! I will forever be able to say I ran a marathon.

I don't think I will ever be able to say what my favorite WDW trip was but this one sure ranks up there. Each trip is special for there own reasons. Even after being there for 9 days I didn't get to do everything I wanted.

Now for the future. I am signed up for Dopey 2018 and right now that is a solo trip. My mom has said she is not going and I don't think anyone else will be either. Also in 2018 I plan on going to DL for the first time and getting my coast to coast medal. The plan is to do Star Wars light side weekend however the registration was pushed back and it appears they are making some changes to that race weekend. I am extremely excited to see Pandora next year when I get back and I am excited for the 5th anniversary Dopey as well as 25th anniversary Marathon.

I thank you all for reading this report and hope you will join along in my next one.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

I think you'll love Disneyland. It's definitely different than WDW (and not just because it's so much smaller), but as someone who appreciates Disney history, I think you'll really enjoy walking through Walt's park and seeing where it all started. Plus, their versions of a lot of the attractions are better.
And that Coast-to-Coast medal will be a nice addition to your bling collection :)

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

I think you'll love Disneyland. It's definitely different than WDW (and not just because it's so much smaller), but as someone who appreciates Disney history, I think you'll really enjoy walking through Walt's park and seeing where it all started. Plus, their versions of a lot of the attractions are better.
And that Coast-to-Coast medal will be a nice addition to your bling collection :)
I know, I hope I can go to light side and make it all work.

thank you for your trip report. really enjoyed reading it. thank you too for the kind words and tips for my first 5k.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter