Ground floor, patio..run to the pool...sliding door not locked?

*Fantasia*

<font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c
I often read when they stay on the ground floor with patio (deluxe only) that they would use the patio door to go to the pool or to snack place. Is someone left behind? I just cant imagine leaving the sliding door un locked. Or do you chance it and hopefully that other folks would just assume that there is someon in the room and the door closed to make it look like it's occupied and locked?

Honestly.. I don't like the ground floor. I would hate for any critters to easily come in my room and I don't really care for anyone to be above me. But anyways... I know it's such an easy access to get to the pool or the food snack place using the sliding door. What do you guys do?

Telly,

We had a ground floor room in Tokelau last month. The only time I left it open was when my DH was in the room. I went out to the beach to watch the fireworks one night and he stayed back with the kids. I wouldn't leave it unlocked if we were going to the pool or snack bar - even for 5 minutes. You just never know.

Now if I had a room in the Hawaii building facing the quiet pool and I could sit on the patio and watch my kids in the pool, I might do that. But I'd never leave it unlocked if I wasn't there.

Anne

I really dislike ground floor rooms. I just feel safer on up higher away from critters (as you say) and passers-by on the sidewalk.

herc.

I will admit to often (on several trips) leaving our slider unlocked on the ground floor of Samoa facing Nanea while we were at the pool. Wallet locked in the safe. If someone really wanted some deoderant and sweaty clothes, have at it. Honestly, I don't recommend it, but have done it many times.

We had 2 rooms in Samoa this summer and there were 6 of us, so someone was usually in the room when some of us were at the pool. There were a few times that we were all at the pool, but that is when we had a table that we could see the sliding door from. It was so convenient to hop up from the table by the pool and go get a bag of chips/snacks and coke or a beer. We didn't leave the door open so no little visitors could get in. It was nice for the girls to sit out on the patio and see the rabbits hop around so close to us, and the ducks. It was the best room location we have ever had, aside from the 12th floor cont. mk view.

We had a ground floor room overlooking the pool at the BCV a couple of trips back. We could literally see the sliding door to the room when we were at the pool, so we'd just go out the slider, across the grass and to the pool, since we could keep an eye on the door.

Disney Doll said:
We had a ground floor room overlooking the pool at the BCV a couple of trips back. We could literally see the sliding door to the room when we were at the pool, so we'd just go out the slider, across the grass and to the pool, since we could keep an eye on the door.

I would definitely do this, but otherwise I would never leave it unlocked (if I couldn't see it). In fact, while at BCV's quiet pool a few weeks ago, we saw people doing this and I was thinking, hmmmm, next time I'm requesting a ground floor/pool view room!

I've done it before!! When is the last time you saw someone walking along all the first floor rooms looking for an unlocked sliding door? ;-) You are definitley taking a risk, but I feel comfy with open to go get some food or pool.

We have stayed GV at Poly CL in Hawaii numerous times and have always requested and recieved 1rst floor! Most often 1 room in particular, and we always go out it to the quiet pool! We leave the slider un-locked, but it is in view and we have never had any problems! :Pinkbounc That is the main reason we chose GV over LV CL! We also always have ducks come up to patio area. :teeth: My ds loves them! We have also stayed in Samoa once on the volcano pool side and have also gone out slider to pool! :Pinkbounc We love Poly and have always felt safe there! :cheer2:

Considering that the security at Disney is non existant this is VERY risky!. They don't even check ID's for people using pools, people from all over use them. You would be inviting a burglary or worse doing this.I won't stay in a ground floor room because of the lack of security.

We were on the ground floor for our first stay at WL, and although we were right by the pool, we had just gotten engaged, and since my ring didn't fit, we had to keep it with us at all times. We sat on out our patio a little, but when we went over to the pool, we took the long way and went out the front door of our room so we could lock everything up.

I LOVE the ground floor at the Poly and the Cont. That being said....I don't leave the room with the sliding door unlocked.

We had a 1st floor at the poly in the hawaii building last year. We never left the sliding door open when we weren't in the room. I would take my son down to the beach or pool using the slider and my husband would lock up and join us later. I thought having a 1st floor was a better option with a 2 year old at the time. Just popping in and out to the beach or pool was nice with him and we never heard anyone on top of us or saw anyone beside us.

I do think you have a better view on higher floors.

We had a flock of ducks that would swarm us whenever we opened the sliding door. It was like an alarm going off to them and they would swoop down hoping for food. We never fed them. The mess they left on the patio was gross. Housekeeping took care of it once but there was no way you could go sit on your patio without shoes on or a dozen duck eyes on you.

alacazander said:
We had a 1st floor at the poly in the hawaii building last year. We never left the sliding door open when we weren't in the room. I would take my son down to the beach or pool using the slider and my husband would lock up and join us later. I thought having a 1st floor was a better option with a 2 year old at the time. Just popping in and out to the beach or pool was nice with him and we never heard anyone on top of us or saw anyone beside us.

I do think you have a better view on higher floors.

We had a flock of ducks that would swarm us whenever we opened the sliding door. It was like an alarm going off to them and they would swoop down hoping for food. We never fed them. The mess they left on the patio was gross. Housekeeping took care of it once but there was no way you could go sit on your patio without shoes on or a dozen duck eyes on you.

I've seen plenty of ducks! I could just imagine the damage they do on the patio. We swam one night at the quiet pool at the Polynesian. There were duck poops it looks like. I told my children to watch out for them. Then the following morning...sure enough the ducks were swimming, so I am sure that was their poops! YUCK!

Most of you guys talking about the Polynesian stay... Oh how I miss that place! It's like I found my home in the summer and WL home during winter! And POFQ home anytime! Anyways...

Yep... besides the critter who might want to try to get in, especially when it is so hot outside... the foot traffic is what I don't want, so I opt for a higher floor.. and yes, it gives me a better view of the ground.

We have requested 1st floor and we love it...we do not leave the slider unlocked and I do love not having steps or wait time for an elevator. When you are dead tired from the parks, we think it is just easier. However, I am sure the views are better. We did not have a critter issue at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter