groceries

tiggtail

Earning My Ears
We are new DVC members at SSR. Heard that a store called "Goodings" will deliver groceries while we are there. Anyone heard of them? What does everyone else do for for cooking meals? Thanks for your help!

**EDIT** hit the wrong botton...post restored to original -Chuck

tiggtail said:
We are new DVC members at SSR. Heard that a store called "Goodings" will deliver groceries while we are there. Anyone heard of them? What does everyone else do for for cooking meals? Thanks for your help!

Goodings, while I'm sure they are reliable, are quite pricey. If it is only a few things it may be worth it. Otherwise I'd either try to rent a car for a day and shop offsite, or try a shopping service like www.gardengrocer.com ( wdwinfo site sponsor) or www.wegoshop.com both have been receiving good reviews, though I personally have never used a shopping/delivery service as we usually have a car.

Goodings has some wonderful Deli stuff - but - their prices are so high it boarders on criminal!

I have always gone to the Winn Dixie (take a left out of the Main entrance - near Downtown Disney) and go up a mile and is on your right.

They have a scheme like Krogers - use their card and you get discounts.

Then we supplement from the DVC stores.

Goodings is extraordinarily expensive. And I feel like they know they have somewhat of a "captive" audience, so they screw you. I'd probably take a taxi to a regular grocery store before I went to Goodings, just on principle alone.

If you are not going to have a car, consider using a shopping service, like wegoshop.com.

Someone has already given you directions to Winn Dixie...I have shopped there and it is fine. There is also a Publix on SR192, nearer to the Wide World of Sports side of WDW, which is also very nice.

Believe it or not, there are 2 Hess gas stations/mini marts on property (one near DTD and one near the BW) which are also reasonably well-stocked and pretty reasonable price-wise...more reasonable than Goodings.

Now granted, if you're looking to do full-course gourmet meals, you're not going to be buying the food at a Hess station, but if you are looking for breakfast, lunch and snack foods, they have a good variety, and probably also simple stuff like mac & cheese, spaghetti & sauce etc. You could feasibly take a Disney bus to DTD or to the BW and walk to the Hess staiton and then get back on the bus. If you're staying at SSR, the walk to the Hess station may not be too bad either.

We just used Garden Grocer on our last trip and were very pleased.

You know - I just looked at the Wegoshop - and - I am not sure that it is for us just because of the price ($17 to $20) and the fact that we have a car and bring down most of the canned goods!

But, I would say if you do not have a car - I would still guarantee you that the delivery charge would save you over Goodings! I will defend their Deli - good stuff - and many pre-made meals!

That is actually a fun rainy thing to do while in DVC is to go walk around Goodings and look at their prices: $17.99 for a disposable camera? :rotfl2:

Also - I did not explain the Winn Dixie card very well! It is not a credit card just a discount card (that you can get free - just a form you need to fill out!). Basically, a jar of Peanut Butter may be $2.39 - but - is $1.39 with the card! Kroger has the exact same set-up.

I have heard that Goodings is experimenting with a revised approach to this concept: Peanut Butter is $3.99 a jar - but $4.99 with the Goodings card!

We used wegoshop for the first time on our last trip to BCV. We were very happy with the service and thought it was reasonably priced.

MagikMom said:
We used wegoshop for the first time on our last trip to BCV. We were very happy with the service and thought it was reasonably priced.

We used Wegoshop last time as well and were really pleased with the service.. They came when they said they would, and had everything we asked for... She even called while she was at the store and asked if there was anything else we needed... (Which was good, because DW forgot the toothpaste. :teeth: )

I think you are better off in the long run with Gardengrocier or Wegoshop because these folks are not tied to any particular grocery store. They live in the area, know all of the deals and the sales, and can get the cheaper prices from buying from grocery stores further away from WDW..

Last year we just ordered some groceries through the DVC. It was only for a few things...milk, bread, cereal, little things. I thought the prices would be astronomical, but hey weren't that bad

Thank you so much for the information...you and the other members will have saved us a lot of expense and frustration....really appreciate it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter