Greetings From England – The Brits Are Back!! **COMPLETED 07/05**

Thanks for the review of the Tangierine Cafe and :woohoo: for a good one! :goodvibes
We did NOT like it at all last time, but we have been talking about going back, so that really helps with my decision! :thumbsup2

I guess I am the only one, but that Rosa Regale makes me sick! We picked up a bottle after reading all the hype about it and I actually spit it out - this is something I CANNOT drink! :scared:

But I love the Caramel corn you picked up! :thumbsup2 We had a fun chat with the CMs in their first language and had a blast!
Yummy treat - thank god there are NO calories in all the treats at Disney! ;) :rotfl2:

The Caramel Corn was wonderful Karin :cloud9:
We had to pop back into the store a couple of times to time it right for a fresh batch but it was well worth it! and yep ...... nooooo calories :rolleyes1

Fabulous review Linda!

Oh, how I wish I was sitting at a table at Tangierine Cafe eating one of their lovely fresh meals! (I do agree about the baclava though - i wish they had a larger dessert selection!)

That popcorn looks amazing - even through the bag!:laughing:

I've never had any of the rose regale - I must try it sometime!

Thanks Shari :goodvibes
Rosa Regale is very sweet which is not something I usually enjoy but for some reason I always get a glass when I am over in Epcot

Joining in! I love your reviews, can't wait to read more! :thumbsup2

~Carol

:welcome: So glad you could join us :goodvibes

Signing up. Can't wait to hear more. The avocado margarita is definitely on my list. I am well acquainted with La Cava :rolleyes1 but somehow i always order the classic or jalapeno. Time to branch out! :laughing:

:welcome:
I nearly went for the jalapeno, what's it like? is it really spicy?

Glad to see you had a good meal again at Tangeriene Cafe!!! I still can't say that I will be returning there anytime soon, but it is encouraging to hear a good review! The Rosa looks wonderful! :thumbsup2

Seems like there are really mixed opinions for Tangierine Cafe but the two times we have tried it have been really good :thumbsup2

Sunday May 15th 2011

IMG_3730.jpg

Sorry in advance for poor photo quality!

As I said in my intro, DH leaves the planning of our trips entirely down to me which is just as well as I am a total control freak :laughing:

This means that he generally doesn’t know where we will be eating until we check in for our reservation.

What it also means is that he has no pre-conceived ideas about a restaurant; he isn’t influenced by any hype or good or bad reviews; he has no idea how easy or difficult it is to get a reservation at any particular restaurant

I am telling you all this as dinner this evening was to be at Le Cellier and we all know that’s not an easy ADR to get and it has a superb reputation.

I liked the idea that DH knew very little about any of the restaurants before we ate there as his comments would be completely un-biased

We had never eaten at Le Cellier before and as DH loves a good steak I thought he would really enjoy it.

I’d booked several two credit dinners for this trip as we had received free dining as part of an early booking offer in the UK and as we were heading off for a three day cruise in the middle of out vacation, we actually had an excess of credits so I am not judging this restaurant in terms of value or the fact that it had recently gone from one credit to two for dinner

Once we had checked in we were seated within 10 minutes.

One of the first things I noticed was that there were several unoccupied tables near to where we were seated that had not been cleared and were covered in half eaten plates of food (these were still not cleared by the time we left)

In general the place looked really untidy with discarded silver wear and napkins under some of the tables :eek:

Our server introduced herself to us and although pleasant she really seemed to be just going through the motions and talked us through the menu in what can only be described as a ‘robotic manner’

I ordered a drink whilst looking through the menu

IMG_3918.jpg

Torontopolitan - Iceberg Vodka, Chambord and Cranberry and Orange Juices

A really nice cocktail, very refreshing and a good kick to it

DH stuck to water (he is always the sensible one :laughing:)

Once we had placed our orders the infamous bread was served

IMG_3919.jpg

OK I know this might upset some people but the pretzel bread left me cold :confused3 it just seemed really dry to me, we both quite liked the multi-grain stick though

DH was particularly hungry so he decided to have an appetiser

IMG_3920.jpg

Steakhouse Caesar Salad, Crisp Romaine, Aged Parmesan and Pretzel Croutons

He said it was ‘OK’ but could have used more Parmesan

He was only about half way through his appetiser when the entrees arrived.

As he tried to move the plate out of the way to make space for the entrees another server picked up the unfinished salad and removed it without asking if he had finished :sad2:

For his entrée he chose the signature dish

IMG_3921.jpg

Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - 8 oz. Canadian AAA Beef Tenderloin with wild mushroom risotto, white truffle butter sauce and micro chervil

He really didn’t enjoy this dish, the risotto was far too salty and the steak was certainly not what could be described as tender (I watched as he forcibly sawed through it with his knife :eek:)

There wasn’t too much choice on the menu for a non-meat eater so I went for the salmon

IMG_3922.jpg

Pacific King Salmon - with parsnip puree, braised greens, pickled pearl onions and mustard sauce

This dish was barely warm but the fish was totally overcooked :confused3

It's a real shame that the dish wasn't prepared or served correctly as I could tell by the small amount that I ate that if it was hot and not over cooked it would have been the kind of meal I would really have enjoyed

We had also ordered a side dish

IMG_3923.jpg

Maple-glazed Rainbow Carrots in maple butter

These were stone cold

Our server came over to ask if everything was OK and I pointed out that the food wasn’t warm and that my husband’s appetiser had been taken away before he had finished.

She asked me if I would like her to take the food away and ‘get it re-heated’

Errrr No ….. what are you going to do, pop it in the microwave for me :confused:

I politely told her that she didn’t need to do that and we would just stick with what we have.

We both wanted to be finished in time for illuminations so neither of us wanted to hang around

To be honest we were really enjoying our night despite the food and were joking that if the rest of the week’s ADRs were as bad as this we should stick to counter service :laughing:

DH asked me if I had ever read any reviews of this place and was it one of the less popular restaurants :eek:

I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I had made the reservation 6 months ago at the very second the phone lines opened!!

A few minutes later a manager came over to see us to apologise as he had heard that we weren’t entirely happy with our meal and what could he do to rectify it.

We really didn’t want to make a fuss and bizarrely were having a really great night so insisted that we didn’t expect him to do anything.

Having left most of our food we decided to give dessert a go

IMG_3925.jpg

Maple Crème Brûlée for me

IMG_3924.jpg

Lemon Cheesecake with a Citrus Salad and Mandarin Orange Gelèe for DH

The Crème Brulee had a really strange texture, it was watery in the centre and hard at the edges, basically it was yuk!

DH’s Lemon Cheesecake may have had a lemon wafted past it at some point in its creation but they certainly hadn’t been intimately acquainted!

I tried a little bit and it didn’t even have the faintest taste of lemon

So Le Cellier was a total bust as far as food was concerned but it was actually so bad that it became a strangely entertaining experience ;)

When it came time to settle the bill the manager had taken off everything not covered on the dining plan which was good of him and unexpected

Perhaps they were just having a bad night? I certainly wouldn’t consider going there again for a very very long time

Coming Up Next ........... Yee Ha!! ....... Whispering Canyon Cafe

Your review of Le Cellier scares me! :scared1:

We always ask for servers we know, maybe this changes our experience. But cold food - thanks, but no thanks I would have sent it back. They cannot just reheat - they need to prepare fresh - that's why IF something is not to my liking I make sure I "mark" it, so they cannot just pop it in the microwave! :thumbsup2 ;)

Tom and I have an ADR for August and I wonder what our experience will be. Many people have actually complained about the salty risotto, we haven't had it salty YET! We'll see. Thanks for a honest review, Linda! :hug:

Gosh - what a bad Le Cellier experience!:scared1:

We enjoyed it in 2008 but I'm not sure we would go back for dinner as a signature meal - especially not after reviews like that! What bad service!

I hate it when they leave messy tables uncleared - we had that at Ohana breakfast last year - it's just not nice to eat in such an environment!

They are just lucky that you and your DH are so easy going!:lmao:

Hi Linda!
I remember reading your review last year and loved it! Thanks for taking the time again to post your reviews from your most recent trip!

We are staying at WL and I am really looking forward to the waffle offerings! My DS is sure to be excited as well!

I can't wait to read about your dining experience on the Disney Dream!

Thank you for sharing!

I'm in! I'm getting caught up on your review! I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Le Cellier. My DH and I went for the 1st time in March and LOVED :love: the food. The service was less than desirable. Our waitress would make her rounds but we did not see her much. As for the table, we were seated at a table in middle of the restaurant but the restaurant was very crowded. Everytime someone passed the table, it felt like they would bump into us.

My DH said he would go there again, but we won't try hard for a reservation.

Sorry to hear your LeCellier experience was a bust. I had it booked for our last trip and after reading way too many negative reviews I switched to Bistro de Paris. I think I made a good decision!

That's too bad! You just never know what you are going to get. I had a filet so tender there a few weeks ago I could have cut it with a butter knife. Then had the filet at Jiko (which has such high ratings) and the steak was horrible. Looking forward to hearing more reviews.

Your review of Le Cellier scares me! :scared1:

We always ask for servers we know, maybe this changes our experience. But cold food - thanks, but no thanks I would have sent it back. They cannot just reheat - they need to prepare fresh - that's why IF something is not to my liking I make sure I "mark" it, so they cannot just pop it in the microwave! :thumbsup2 ;)

Tom and I have an ADR for August and I wonder what our experience will be. Many people have actually complained about the salty risotto, we haven't had it salty YET! We'll see. Thanks for a honest review, Linda! :hug:

Hi Karin :goodvibes
It seems to me that they were just having a bad night. I've read some great reviews and as this was our first experience of LC I can't compare to previous trips.
You are right about a server changing an experience and we had some truly wonderful servers on this vacation
The rest of the reviews are much more positive!

Gosh - what a bad Le Cellier experience!:scared1:

We enjoyed it in 2008 but I'm not sure we would go back for dinner as a signature meal - especially not after reviews like that! What bad service!

I hate it when they leave messy tables uncleared - we had that at Ohana breakfast last year - it's just not nice to eat in such an environment!

They are just lucky that you and your DH are so easy going!:lmao:

I think it was the Torontopolitan that made me easy going :rotfl:

Hi Linda!
I remember reading your review last year and loved it! Thanks for taking the time again to post your reviews from your most recent trip!

We are staying at WL and I am really looking forward to the waffle offerings! My DS is sure to be excited as well!

I can't wait to read about your dining experience on the Disney Dream!

Thank you for sharing!

You read the last one and you're still signing on :eek:
Seriously though it's great to have you reading along :goodvibes
You will love WL and you can't beat a mickey waffle to kick the day off

I'm in! I'm getting caught up on your review! I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Le Cellier. My DH and I went for the 1st time in March and LOVED :love: the food. The service was less than desirable. Our waitress would make her rounds but we did not see her much. As for the table, we were seated at a table in middle of the restaurant but the restaurant was very crowded. Everytime someone passed the table, it felt like they would bump into us.

My DH said he would go there again, but we won't try hard for a reservation.

We had a table in the middle of the restaurant as well but if the food had been better that really wouldn't have been an issue.
It wasn't actually that crowded in there but I think that was partly because several tables still had the previous customers plates on them
I always think that you never know what might have caused the problem, perhaps they were very short staffed that night, it could have been something totally out of their control :confused3

Sorry to hear your LeCellier experience was a bust. I had it booked for our last trip and after reading way too many negative reviews I switched to Bistro de Paris. I think I made a good decision!

I hear great things about Bistro De Paris, did you enjoy it?
I'd like to try it some time

That's too bad! You just never know what you are going to get. I had a filet so tender there a few weeks ago I could have cut it with a butter knife. Then had the filet at Jiko (which has such high ratings) and the steak was horrible. Looking forward to hearing more reviews.

Ahh, now you see this is a perfect example of how restaurants can be inconsistant
The steak at LC was really tough according to DH but we had the most fantastic meal at Jiko :cloud9:

Enjoying your great reviews! We have also had pretty bad experiences at Le C so it's off our list.

Sorry to hear about your experience at LeCellier. We ate there during our trip last year in May. I enjoyed the mushroom risotto and the bread but the rest of our meal was good but not great. Our experience wasn't as bad as yours so we will go back someday but it was not nearly as good as other places we visited at WDW. Now if you want to talk about V&A or Bistro de Paris!!!! :cool1:

Enjoying your TR. Can't wait to read more.

Yay, another report!! I absolutely love your reviews and I am definitely looking forward to this one!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Tangeriene Cafe. I definitely want to go here on our next trip. Also, I MUST try that caramel corn! Sorry about your experience at Le Cellier. Cold food is just bleh.

Looking forward to the next review! :thumbsup2

Sorry to hear about your Le Cellier dinner, cold food is not good! I love seeing all your pictures of the different types of cocktails. I enjoy trying a different cocktail with dinner every night at Disney as you cant get them at home. My favourite last year was from La Cava, just the regular margarita but it was strong, might try an avocado next time.:)

We too didn't have a very good meal at LC.

It wasn't awful, maybe we expected too much :confused3

The service was really bad and I really can't see us going there again especially since it's now a 2 credit meal.

I loved reading your review of the vegetarian platter at Tangierine Cafe and having recently cut it from our plans I'm tempted to put it back in.

Mmm Werthers!! Can't wait to visit Karamelle Kuche! :rotfl:

I'm sorry to hear about your food being cold at Le Cellier. Am glad you still enjoyed your evening and made the most of it.

So sorry to hear your first experience at Le Cellier was so disappointing. We've eaten there our last three trips and had an amazing experience each time. Food was incredible and service among the best of our trip. They have a new head chef now that it's a signature and I was very interested to read reviews about it. Unfortunately yours is not the first negative I've read so I'm concerned the switch has not been for the better. My sister and I have reservations on our girls-only trip this September and I'm hoping it will be the same wonderful meal as in trips past. If not, it'll be coming off my "must do" list. ;)

Thanks so much for sharing your honest and fair reviews, looking forward to more!

Bummer about the poor meal at LC. We had a fab meal there in April, but a place like that needs to be consistent. :confused3

Enjoying your great reviews! We have also had pretty bad experiences at Le C so it's off our list.

I don't think I will be rushing back to LC any time soon!

Sorry to hear about your experience at LeCellier. We ate there during our trip last year in May. I enjoyed the mushroom risotto and the bread but the rest of our meal was good but not great. Our experience wasn't as bad as yours so we will go back someday but it was not nearly as good as other places we visited at WDW. Now if you want to talk about V&A or Bistro de Paris!!!! :cool1:

Enjoying your TR. Can't wait to read more.

It seems like Bistro De Paris is a wonderful restaurant, I hear so many good things about it :thumbsup2

Yay, another report!! I absolutely love your reviews and I am definitely looking forward to this one!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Tangeriene Cafe. I definitely want to go here on our next trip. Also, I MUST try that caramel corn! Sorry about your experience at Le Cellier. Cold food is just bleh.

Looking forward to the next review! :thumbsup2

Aww thanks :goodvibes
The caramel corn is delicious but you have to time it right. Once they have made a fresh batch it seems to sell out quickly and you've gotta have it fresh and warm :cloud9:

Sorry to hear about your Le Cellier dinner, cold food is not good! I love seeing all your pictures of the different types of cocktails. I enjoy trying a different cocktail with dinner every night at Disney as you cant get them at home. My favourite last year was from La Cava, just the regular margarita but it was strong, might try an avocado next time.:)

I could just about forgive them for cold food but over-cooked cold food :confused: - no way!!

We too didn't have a very good meal at LC.

It wasn't awful, maybe we expected too much :confused3

The service was really bad and I really can't see us going there again especially since it's now a 2 credit meal.

Yeah, I must admit the service wasn't great but now I look back it seems to me like they were short staffed so the servers were probably having a tough night :confused3

Bistro de Paris was wonderful! One of the best meals we've ever had at WDW.:worship:

Ooh, I have to try it one day :)

I loved reading your review of the vegetarian platter at Tangierine Cafe and having recently cut it from our plans I'm tempted to put it back in.

Mmm Werthers!! Can't wait to visit Karamelle Kuche! :rotfl:

I'm sorry to hear about your food being cold at Le Cellier. Am glad you still enjoyed your evening and made the most of it.

Thanks for reading along :thumbsup2
I actually look back at our evening at LC with a smile as we still had a great night and the company was great even if the food wasn't :love:

So sorry to hear your first experience at Le Cellier was so disappointing. We've eaten there our last three trips and had an amazing experience each time. Food was incredible and service among the best of our trip. They have a new head chef now that it's a signature and I was very interested to read reviews about it. Unfortunately yours is not the first negative I've read so I'm concerned the switch has not been for the better. My sister and I have reservations on our girls-only trip this September and I'm hoping it will be the same wonderful meal as in trips past. If not, it'll be coming off my "must do" list. ;)

Thanks so much for sharing your honest and fair reviews, looking forward to more!

I'm sure you will have a great time at LC on your girls only trip :hug:
Every restaurant has an 'off night' at some point and I think we just hit an 'off night'

Bummer about the poor meal at LC. We had a fab meal there in April, but a place like that needs to be consistent. :confused3

You are so right. You just expect a restaurant to be consistant :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts