• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian Update

When we have our 2 older teen DDs and 2 friends, we have a group of 6 (5 are female). My husband is very happy to have the 3rd bathroom in a 2 br at BLT. We can actually make it to a dinner reservation on time! Mornings are still a challenge, but we wouldn't get out the door until at least 11 if it weren't for the 3rd bathroom! All that said, we still enjoy BC and are looking forward to staying at GFV! Although it's not a deal breaker for us, we are disappointed that GFV won't have that 3rd bathroom.

I guess if none of the resorts offered it, we wouldn't know what we were missing. Both of my home resorts have the extra bath and I have a really hard time booking (or adding on) anywhere else because of that extra bath. For DH and I it's fine, but when we add our DD (and maybe a friend), I don't want to give up the extra bath.
That was my point before, that the real issue was they offered it and opened up expectations. This offering should reset expectations to a degree and then we'll see whether it's a site plan decision or company direction only when we get to a project that isn't so limited on space, maybe River Country if it ever happens or a possible resort out close to the Western Way project if it ever gets going or revive the project for the development between WL and FW. They have plenty of land to stick a DVC, just not prime locations.

I'm not totally 'up' on how many baths that Grand Villas have at each of the resorts, but we stayed at a Grand Villas at HHI and BLT in the last year.

They have 4 bathrooms - and even when you don't have those units stuffed to capacity - the 4th bathrooms is very convenient.

We stayed in a 1BR at HHI over New Years with 4 adults and a toddler - we REALLY could have used an extra bath... even a 1/2 bath would have been greatly appreciated.

I really don't know why they would have taken a step back and removed that extra convenience.

It seems like once they added the feature they wouldn't then remove it....especially from the villas at the flagship deluxe resort at the Walt Disney World Resort.

So much for consistency!

When considering where to stay, and the features that we find most convenient - you better believe the extra bath will go in to deciding where to stay!

We own at two resorts with the additional bath already though.... and my DW would likely kill me if I suggested buying more points! HAHA :lmao:

I doubt it was DVD's intent to expect 4 Adults and a toddler to be their 1 Bedroom typical set of visitors. My opinion but if 4 Adults decide to stay in a 1 Bedroom, that is not DVC cutting corners, that is the owner cutting corners by using less points than they should.

I really don't know why they would have taken a step back and removed that extra convenience.

I suspect it's simple economics. On the basis of cost per square foot, bathrooms are very expensive to build. Tub, vanity, toilet, plumbing, tile...it's much more expensive than simply using that square footage for living space.

And the extra bathroom needs to be cleaned between guests and maintained over time. Consider how much extra time it takes housekeeping to properly clean an additional full bath (or even 3/4 bath) compared to vacuuming another 20-30 sq ft of carpet.

Eliminating one bathroom from nearly 100 villas saved DVD millions of dollars in construction costs, not to mention lower dues for owners. And I doubt it will cost them many--if any--sales.

Maybe they didn't want GFV to be the kind of place where people comfortably cram 4/5 adults into a 1 BR :confused3

I doubt it was DVD's intent to expect 4 Adults and a toddler to be their 1 Bedroom typical set of visitors. My opinion but if 4 Adults decide to stay in a 1 Bedroom, that is not DVC cutting corners, that is the owner cutting corners by using less points than they should.

2 studios would be the same points more or less.

I suspect it's simple economics. On the basis of cost per square foot, bathrooms are very expensive to build. Tub, vanity, toilet, plumbing, tile...it's much more expensive than simply using that square footage for living space.

And the extra bathroom needs to be cleaned between guests and maintained over time. Consider how much extra time it takes housekeeping to properly clean an additional full bath (or even 3/4 bath) compared to vacuuming another 20-30 sq ft of carpet.

Eliminating one bathroom from nearly 100 villas saved DVD millions of dollars in construction costs, not to mention lower dues for owners. And I doubt it will cost them many--if any--sales.

Can't argue with your economics. Course it would sell out without the kids splash area, the covered walkway and the grand atrium as well. Its still too bad IMO it won't be as "Grand" as we had hoped. I would liked to have seen 1 and 1/2 baths even in the studios actually. I guess us BLT (and AKV) owners will have the extra baths at least so that's good.

Maybe they didn't want GFV to be the kind of place where people comfortably cram 4/5 adults into a 1 BR :confused3

This could be actually.Although "comfortably cram" means it makes sense for some to do IMO.

They will remove the "5 in a 1BR" for VGF on the website and not install sleeper chairs as well if so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter