Grand Canyon?

Most of this thread is about the South Rim... my West Rim journey was from Vegas. Travelling with relatives, we all enjoyed the day trip to experience the Grand Canyon by Land, Sea, and Air.
http://www.papillon.com/las-vegas-t...walk-tours/skywalk-getaway-with-heli-and-boat

Thoughts...
  • The boat ride was about 10-20 minutes. Don't remember the exact time, give them a call for exact details. Some may feel it's too short. However, compared to trying to walk down to the canyon floor.... the short visit was perfect for us.
  • they have never been in a helicopter, so it was a thrill.
  • The Grand Canyon is big.... don't expect the helicopter or boat ride to go the full distance to the South Rim.
  • the bus ride from Vegas was perhaps the weakest part of the trip. The mass group boardings felt like we were on a shuttle.

Did you do the boat combo? Was it worth the money? How did you get to the west rim? Is it close? I am unfamiliar with the logistics involved.
The West Rim is not close to where the ABD is, on the South Rim in the National Park. The Grand Canyon Village on the South Rim (where you'll be staying) to the Grand Canyon West Airport is about a 4 hour drive. You could do it before or after the ABD, but not during the time the ABD is at the Grand Canyon, unless you wanted to skip an entire day of activities.

Sayhello

ETA: However, if you look at the website xlxo linked to above, they have a South Rim location, also, which is only 15 minutes away. I don't know if this is the same company I flew with when I was there in 2008. The Adventure Guides set it up for the 3 of us who wanted to do it (but we paid for it all ourselves) and I can't find the company name.

http://www.papillon.com/about-papillon/locations-and-terminals
But in some of the pictures, the helicopters *do* look like the one we took.

It was cool, but the big problem was, the National Parks does not let them actually fly *into* the Canyon, so you were seeing everything from quite a height. I don't know if that's still the case, but it likely is. It was not as awe-inspiring as I was hoping for. But it was still pretty cool.

Last edited:
The West Rim is not close to where the ABD is, on the South Rim in the National Park. The Grand Canyon Village on the South Rim (where you'll be staying) to the Grand Canyon West Airport is about a 4 hour drive. You could do it before or after the ABD, but not during the time the ABD is at the Grand Canyon, unless you wanted to skip an entire day of activities.

Sayhello

ETA: However, if you look at the website xlxo linked to above, they have a South Rim location, also, which is only 15 minutes away. I don't know if this is the same company I flew with when I was there in 2008. The Adventure Guides set it up for the 3 of us who wanted to do it (but we paid for it all ourselves) and I can't find the company name.

http://www.papillon.com/about-papillon/locations-and-terminals
But in some of the pictures, the helicopters *do* look like the one we took.

It was cool, but the big problem was, the National Parks does not let them actually fly *into* the Canyon, so you were seeing everything from quite a height. I don't know if that's still the case, but it likely is. It was not as awe-inspiring as I was hoping for. But it was still pretty cool.

This is what I was wondering. I don't want to miss any ABD activities. Thank you.

Just curious if anyone knows this. I have been white water rafting before and we had to wear a wetsuit. Do you have to wear one on the raft ride on this tour? Just trying to figure out if I need to buy something more than just bathing suit or something more fitting for that. Thank you.

Just curious if anyone knows this. I have been white water rafting before and we had to wear a wetsuit. Do you have to wear one on the raft ride on this tour? Just trying to figure out if I need to buy something more than just bathing suit or something more fitting for that. Thank you.

No wetsuit. The rafting ride is relatively mild. They provide life jackets. I wore a tankini with board shorts and a UV blocking shirt over it along with Keen sandals. My husband wore a UV blocking shirt with his bathing suit and sneakers with no socks. We asked to be in a "dry" boat because my husband was actually pretty nervous (not a swimmer but don't need to be).

No wetsuit. The rafting ride is relatively mild. They provide life jackets. I wore a tankini with board shorts and a UV blocking shirt over it along with Keen sandals. My husband wore a UV blocking shirt with his bathing suit and sneakers with no socks. We asked to be in a "dry" boat because my husband was actually pretty nervous (not a swimmer but don't need to be).

Thank you this is what I was looking for. I was hoping no wetsuits. LOL

Depending on what time of year you go the river is very slow most of the year after the snow melt up river and if they get a rainy spring. Easy peasy when we were there in June into July. More of a float than raft ride. Very welcoming to get in the water in that hot sun. The hotel does have a very nice pool too,

Hi everyone! So glad I found this thread. We are booked on the June 12th trip. This will be our first ABD trip and I am so excited! It will be my husband, our 7 year old son, my 70 year old father-in-law and I. Anyone else on this particular trip? I would love to meet other families ahead of time. I could really use suggestions on what to pack. Should we buy hiking shoes? Should I take my sons camelbak or will the guides have plenty of water for us during hikes? Are any of the hikes too strenuous for young/old/not quite athletic people? Do most people just stay in their shorts and t-shirts for dinner or do they get a bit nicer? I would love to pack as little as I can get away with (especially in the shoe department since they take up so much space) but still want to make sure we have what we need. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone! So glad I found this thread. We are booked on the June 12th trip. This will be our first ABD trip and I am so excited! It will be my husband, our 7 year old son, my 70 year old father-in-law and I. Anyone else on this particular trip? I would love to meet other families ahead of time. I could really use suggestions on what to pack. Should we buy hiking shoes? Should I take my sons camelbak or will the guides have plenty of water for us during hikes? Are any of the hikes too strenuous for young/old/not quite athletic people? Do most people just stay in their shorts and t-shirts for dinner or do they get a bit nicer? I would love to pack as little as I can get away with (especially in the shoe department since they take up so much space) but still want to make sure we have what we need. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Hi! There' s also a Meets thread for this itinerary. You might want to check there to see if anyone else from your trip has posted there.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ar...rly-southwest-splendors-meets-thread.2933946/

The hike to Delicate Arch is a bit challenging, mostly because of the terrain you're walking over (they don't call it "slick rock" for nothing). I used light hikers for that, and was glad I did. They have an alternate activity (basically taking the motorcoach to points of interest & fabulous views) if anyone is not up for that hike. I wouldn't think you'd need hiking boots unless you plan to do that hike, or hike a lot at the Grand Canyon.

There's also a "float" alternative for the river rafting.

When I did the trip, folks typically "cleaned up" for dinner, but nothing fancy.

Sayhello

For those of you that flew out of Denver on the way home do you think we can make a 1:40 flight out of Denver? Frontier has super pricing for a straight through on the way home for us. 64.00 and you can't that. I know it doesn't include bags but still a great price. Just worried we wouldn't make the time. Thoughts?

On our trip last May, the ages ranged from 70s down to 12. The three older people stayed on the bus in Arches National Park while the rest of us did the hike to Delicate Arch. One of the older adventurers got very lightheaded due to dehydration when she got off the bus while touring ANP. The guides will provide water, but I would recommend bringing your own container as well. Keep drinking it, even if you don't feel like you need it. Some of the people who did the hikes were not super athletic, but it does help to have stamina. My husband has asthma and struggled a bit on the ascension in the Grand Canyon.

My husband and I wore regular athletic shoes for every hike, but I did bring two pair to switch out. In addition to those shoes, I brought one pair of very casual sandals to wear with my very casual dress (final dinner clothing). I left my hiking boots at home as they would taken up more room in my suitcase.

Except for our final dinner, we did not shower and change before eating. We would clean up a bit and go "as is". Since we did not eat dinner in the El Tovar restaurant, every place was very casual. I decided that I was going to dirty up one set of clothes per day so we would shower at night (where at home we shower in the morning).

Hi! There' s also a Meets thread for this itinerary. You might want to check there to see if anyone else from your trip has posted there.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ar...rly-southwest-splendors-meets-thread.2933946/

The hike to Delicate Arch is a bit challenging, mostly because of the terrain you're walking over (they don't call it "slick rock" for nothing). I used light hikers for that, and was glad I did. They have an alternate activity (basically taking the motorcoach to points of interest & fabulous views) if anyone is not up for that hike. I wouldn't think you'd need hiking boots unless you plan to do that hike, or hike a lot at the Grand Canyon.

There's also a "float" alternative for the river rafting.

When I did the trip, folks typically "cleaned up" for dinner, but nothing fancy.

Sayhello
Thank you so much for the info!

For those of you that flew out of Denver on the way home do you think we can make a 1:40 flight out of Denver? Frontier has super pricing for a straight through on the way home for us. 64.00 and you can't that. I know it doesn't include bags but still a great price. Just worried we wouldn't make the time. Thoughts?

I wouldn't try, unless you love getting up really early. It is a solid 6 hour drive, if there is good traffic and no accidents or construction, and you don't stop. Keep in mind I70 through the mountains is busy enough that CDOT built a toll lane to try to help with the congestion.

The airport is on the far eastern side of Denver, so you will drive all the way through Denver, seemingly out into the middle of nowhere. I dont think CDOT will get their planned reconstruction of I70 between downtown and the airport started until later on in the year. The car rental will require a shuttle to the terminal. Luckily Frontier has some of the closest gates to the terminal, but it's a decent walk.

We make a similar drive every year (southern Utah to north Denver) and we budget 8 hours.

For those going this year, I would so love to read your feedback/trip report (even if you don't have time for an in-depth trip report). This trip is very high on our list for 2018, but in reading through the itinerary, I'm concerned about how much "on your own" time and meals there are. I find traveling with kids some down time is great, but this trip seems to have a lot of it. Wondering if it strikes the right balance especially for kids.

On our trip last May, the ages ranged from 70s down to 12. The three older people stayed on the bus in Arches National Park while the rest of us did the hike to Delicate Arch. One of the older adventurers got very lightheaded due to dehydration when she got off the bus while touring ANP. The guides will provide water, but I would recommend bringing your own container as well. Keep drinking it, even if you don't feel like you need it. Some of the people who did the hikes were not super athletic, but it does help to have stamina. My husband has asthma and struggled a bit on the ascension in the Grand Canyon.

My husband and I wore regular athletic shoes for every hike, but I did bring two pair to switch out. In addition to those shoes, I brought one pair of very casual sandals to wear with my very casual dress (final dinner clothing). I left my hiking boots at home as they would taken up more room in my suitcase.

Except for our final dinner, we did not shower and change before eating. We would clean up a bit and go "as is". Since we did not eat dinner in the El Tovar restaurant, every place was very casual. I decided that I was going to dirty up one set of clothes per day so we would shower at night (where at home we shower in the morning).
Hi, we are contemplating going in late July this year. Thank you for posting all of your stories. I was wondering if the Maswik Lodge had Air Conditioning, as it would be really hot when we are there? Thanks so much!

For those going this year, I would so love to read your feedback/trip report (even if you don't have time for an in-depth trip report). This trip is very high on our list for 2018, but in reading through the itinerary, I'm concerned about how much "on your own" time and meals there are. I find traveling with kids some down time is great, but this trip seems to have a lot of it. Wondering if it strikes the right balance especially for kids.
It's been a few years since we took this one but there is almost no downtime. There is travel time between destinations and that is a bit long but the kids had no problems (our son was six, I think). MOst of the gaps in the itinerary are when you are traveling, I assume.

This itinerary is perfect for kids! My son LOVED this trip and so did we.

There are also lots of extra activities that aren't listed. There is a free day at the last resort and we did ATVs. Others did horseback riding, some enjoyed the pool. Other than that, we had an optional hike in the Grand Canyon (not on the itinerary) and an early morning hike in Sedona (also not on the itinerary). There is always something going on!

Spend the money you're saving on an overnight somewhere in Colorado. We stayed in Aspen and there's a beautiful drive from there to Denver.

In 2014, there were some rooms in Maswik Lodge without air conditioning. I took the non-AC room because that was the only room available for my date. I was there in October, so it wasn't an issue. After returning from overnight hike, I stayed again at Maswik Lodge in a different building where all rooms all included A/C.

Call or check the website to see if all buildings have been upgraded to A/C.

-Paul

As far as I remember, we had AC at Maswik. Not sure if we used it because we went in late May, and the weather there was very comfortable.

There appears to be more on-your-own time with this year's itinerary. I did not see the jet boat ride and lunch that took place after our trip to Arches National Park. It looks like they are giving you free time in Moab. The morning before the raft ride is also on-your-own, but our guide approached us at some point between the Grand Canyon and Moab to see if we were interested in horseback riding, ATV touring, or just hanging out at the Red Cliffs Lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter