Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Syndrome

Who's super now?
We have been up on the GC 6th floor viewing are a few times . The problem with seeing WOC from that area, is that it doesnt even really have to be very crowded to not see the show . If you have enough people up there to fill in the space at the railing ........you cant see past them and down to where WOC is .

Cant remember ......
Is that area open to all GC guests or just those staying in the DVC rooms ? For some reason I thought it was only DVC ???

• twodogs

DIS Veteran
    We have been up on the GC 6th floor viewing are a few times . The problem with seeing WOC from that area, is that it doesnt even really have to be very crowded to not see the show . If you have enough people up there to fill in the space at the railing ........you cant see past them and down to where WOC is .

Cant remember ......
    Is that area open to all GC guests or just those staying in the DVC rooms ? For some reason I thought it was only DVC ???
    Agreed. Once about 10 people get there, the railing is full and the already-not-great view becomes no view. So unless you stake it out early (we accidentally went an hour early a month or so ago, thinking it started an hour earlier than it did; an hour earlier and we were the only ones up there), you may not have a view at all. And as OPs have said, the view is not great to begin with, so if you really want to see the show and projections, see it from inside DCA. It is open to all GCH and VGC guests with a room key.

dsnyfamily4

Earning My Ears
    We arrive next week for our stay at GCH. When we made the reservation they asked if we were celebrating anything special and took note. Do they do some extra for your stay? I’m guessing if anything it’s a button and congrats upon check in.

sgrap

DIS Veteran
    We arrive next week for our stay at GCH. When we made the reservation they asked if we were celebrating anything special and took note. Do they do some extra for your stay? I’m guessing if anything it’s a button and congrats upon check in.
    Not usually, although we had some awesome pixie dust with our room request in November when we were there for our 30th anniversary. I don't know if we got lucky or if it was done intentionally, but we got our top choice of room request (this was a DVC room, so there aren't separate categories to select for views like the hotel rooms). They sometimes say something when you are checking in, just wishing you happy birthday or whatever. I don't think we've received buttons at GCH.

Delilah1310

DIS Veteran
    I'm sure this is addressed somewhere on these forums, but I can't find the right search terms. I figured I would start here.
    We have a package at GCH in mid-October. I made the final payment last week.
    I went to the Disneyland app but I don't see anything about my stay in there? I do see our OBB Halloween party tickets in there, but not the daily park tickets.
    Will they show up eventually in app?

I see the reservation when I log in to the Disneyland website and I do see this note -
    Delivery of Tickets
    For all reservations paid in full, travel documents (such as vouchers or certain fulfillment cards, if applicable, or travel itinerary confirming reservations) will be delivered to the Front Desk of Guest's hotel. Packages can be picked up on the date of check-in at the hotel.

But I kind thought it was all electronic and seamlessly connected but maybe I am missing a step? Do I just scan them when we get onsite?

• gerilyne

DIS Veteran
    I'm sure this is addressed somewhere on these forums, but I can't find the right search terms. I figured I would start here.
    We have a package at GCH in mid-October. I made the final payment last week.
    I went to the Disneyland app but I don't see anything about my stay in there? I do see our OBB Halloween party tickets in there, but not the daily park tickets.
    Will they show up eventually in app?

I see the reservation when I log in to the Disneyland website and I do see this note -
    Delivery of Tickets
    For all reservations paid in full, travel documents (such as vouchers or certain fulfillment cards, if applicable, or travel itinerary confirming reservations) will be delivered to the Front Desk of Guest's hotel. Packages can be picked up on the date of check-in at the hotel.

But I kind thought it was all electronic and seamlessly connected but maybe I am missing a step? Do I just scan them when we get onsite?
    Unlike WDW hotel information does not appear in the DL app. The only thing you will see is any ADRs you make. When you check in they will give you your tickets which you can then scan into the app. After you enter the parks that day if you purchase maxpass you can start pulling fastpasses.

Delilah1310

DIS Veteran
    Unlike WDW hotel information does not appear in the DL app. The only thing you will see is any ADRs you make. When you check in they will give you your tickets which you can then scan into the app. After you enter the parks that day if you purchase maxpass you can start pulling fastpasses.
    thank you!

gpjacobs

Earning My Ears
    Does anyone know if the hotel offers room service and, if so, when it begins? We're considering an early bfast in our room before rope dropping. Alternatively, we could hit up Craftsman Grille (what was Whitewater Snacks) but room service seems so convenient ...

MrsD.Duck

Mouseketeer
    we were there at the end of July celebrating our 30th , they asked when checking in if celebrating anything and they gave us a couple of buttons.

• Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    Does anyone know if the hotel offers room service and, if so, when it begins? We're considering an early bfast in our room before rope dropping.
    Room service is available 24 hours :goodvibes
    The overnight menu (roughly Midnight to 6AM) is rather minimal.

Breakfast starts at roughly 6AM (sorry I don't recall the exact times).
    Breakfast can be ordered with marking a menu and leaving on the door overnight.

gpjacobs

Earning My Ears
    Room service is available 24 hours :goodvibes
    The overnight menu (roughly Midnight to 6AM) is rather minimal.

Breakfast starts at roughly 6AM (sorry I don't recall the exact times).
    Breakfast can be ordered with marking a menu and leaving on the door overnight.
    Thank you! Great info.

mouschievous

Earning My Ears
    I had a question. Obviously there's the private entrance into DCA, but what is the quickest way to Disneyland?
    I asked this in another thread. If you have a hopper, you can go through DCA. Otherwise apparently you can go out the front of GCH and through DTD.

violina

Earning My Ears
    Is hopping through DCA to get to DL quicker than going through the front of the hotel and DTD?
    It depends on the timing and the lines. We've opted to go through the hotel/DCA late afternoon and most times that has worked out really well. In the mornings (not early entry) to noon, we found that going through DTD was easier.

Side note, if I did the measurements on Google Map correctly, the distance looks roughly the same so it's really just a matter of how dense the crowds are.

bluecruiser

DIS Veteran

TheZue

DIS Veteran
    we stayed at the villas a couple weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with them. I know they are sold out but is there a wait list you can get on with Disney or is the only option resale? If there is a wait list how long is it?

crvetter

DIS Veteran
    we stayed at the villas a couple weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with them. I know they are sold out but is there a wait list you can get on with Disney or is the only option resale? If there is a wait list how long is it?
    You might get a better idea on the DVC Forums (particularly the Purchasing Forum). With that being said the typical response from guides is that the resort isn't accepting anyone for the waitlist; however, exceptions have been known to be made. Now a few things to consider is the premium buying direct is extremely high for VGC and the member benefits are very low for those who won't be going to WDW. DLR doesn't offer much in terms of discounts for DVC owners (other than dining/shopping).

I personally purchased resale (though I already owned a direct contract and will only be using the points at VGC so wasn't too concerned).

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News