Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
The area was still closed off as of yesterday. Contractors were still working and in & out the area. They were talking about how to mount the gate posts to the footing yesterday. Doesn’t look like it’ll be open anytime soon.
[/QUOTE

Hopefully by my next staycation in July!

RhodyKP

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know when the GCH will open up dates for 2020? I want to try to plan a trip during the California Adventure Food & Wine Festival (although those dates haven't been announced yet.)

Tinkerbell19672

DIS Veteran
We’re staying at GCH in August, standard room booked. We’ve stayed before in a woods view room and I’m wondering if any of the standard rooms face the courtyard with the monorail? Ideally we would like to be near the Napa Rose elevator as we were before and liked that location. Any tips on what area to request to avoid a long walk to DCA or DD?

• franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
    Does anyone know when the GCH will open up dates for 2020? I want to try to plan a trip during the California Adventure Food & Wine Festival (although those dates haven't been announced yet.)
    I've already got my Villa reservations for the first weekend in March in Hope's of making the F&W Festival. Not sure about the regular hotel rooms.

RhodyKP

Earning My Ears
    I've already got my Villa reservations for the first weekend in March in Hope's of making the F&W Festival. Not sure about the regular hotel rooms.
    Well I bet your wish comes true because if you look at the points chart the required number of points jumps considerably as of Feb 23rd. If the timing of F&W is the same as last year it would start on Friday 2/28.

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
    Well I bet your wish comes true because if you look at the points chart the required number of points jumps considerably as of Feb 23rd. If the timing of F&W is the same as last year it would start on Friday 2/28.
    Well dangit! Then I've failed. :laughing: I wanted to be there the first weekend of F&W!

• Whistlebee

DIS Veteran
    We’re staying at GCH in August, standard room booked. We’ve stayed before in a woods view room and I’m wondering if any of the standard rooms face the courtyard with the monorail? Ideally we would like to be near the Napa Rose elevator as we were before and liked that location. Any tips on what area to request to avoid a long walk to DCA or DD?
    I don’t know if any of the standard rooms face the Courtyard so I can’t help you with that one. There are some standard rooms by the Napa Rose elevators so I’d request that area if that’s where you ideally want to be. You may get lucky and be put in a woods view room. We’ve stayed in this area a few times by booking Standard or Woods View. On our last trip even though I had requested a room near the Napa Rose Elevator they weren’t able to put us there (I booked standard). They assigned us to the very last room down a very long hallway. No thank you. Instead, they then offered us a room above the front entrance to the hotel. Although I was initially disappointed I found I actually liked this location and would have no problem staying there again. The Napa Rose elevator area is still my top choice tho. Also, I highly recommend calling the hotel front desk directly with your request. Once when booking and again a week before your trip. The one time I didn’t get my request is when I didn’t follow up with the front desk directly. Hope this helps.

Runnsally

DIS Veteran
    I don’t know if any of the standard rooms face the Courtyard so I can’t help you with that one. There are some standard rooms by the Napa Rose elevators so I’d request that area if that’s where you ideally want to be. You may get lucky and be put in a woods view room. We’ve stayed in this area a few times by booking Standard or Woods View. On our last trip even though I had requested a room near the Napa Rose Elevator they weren’t able to put us there (I booked standard). They assigned us to the very last room down a very long hallway. No thank you. Instead, they then offered us a room above the front entrance to the hotel. Although I was initially disappointed I found I actually liked this location and would have no problem staying there again. The Napa Rose elevator area is still my top choice tho. Also, I highly recommend calling the hotel front desk directly with your request. Once when booking and again a week before your trip. The one time I didn’t get my request is when I didn’t follow up with the front desk directly. Hope this helps.
    First trip to DL/GC coming up. What is desirable about a room near the Napa Tose elevators? Thanks.

Tinkerbell19672

DIS Veteran
    Thanks so much! It’s also our wedding anniversary so maybe I should mention that and hope for some pixie dust.

First trip to DL/GC coming up. What is desirable about a room near the Napa Tose elevators? Thanks.
    For me, it’s because it’s near the entrance to DCA

• bethwc101

DIS Veteran
    We were there in Oct and again in March. Both times the pool water was so cold nobody in our party went swimming so we went up to the DLH. Does anybody know if the pools are heated again?

dsnyfamily4

Earning My Ears
    Looking through some of the hotel photos, those sections could really use some organizing. Perhaps create an archive folder for any pictures posted prior to the refurbishment?

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DIS INSTAGRAM