Grand Californian Super Thread

We are staying in a VGC Studio beginning of April. I'll take some pictures and post them when I return.

Well I totally failed and forgot to take pictures of the room while we were at VGC, SORRY! We stayed in room 6504 (Studio) from 4/7-4/11. This was our first stay so I have no first hand experience with how the rooms looked before this, but from the renovation photos I've seen, I don't believe this room had been renovated yet.

...We stayed in room 6504 (Studio) from 4/7-4/11. This was our first stay so I have no first hand experience with how the rooms looked before this, but from the renovation photos I've seen, I don't believe this room had been renovated yet.
The renovation of the villas is less extensive than the hotel rooms, the bathrooms are not being changed (other than perhaps paint and shower curtain). Photos of a renovated 1-bedroom.
You received a great villa for your first visit :thumbsup2
Wonderful views of the Paradise Pier area from the "corner" balcony.

I took some renovated room photos last month, but have been slow to post.
The shower was a topic in another thread, so here are a few photos:

I am so glad we always stay in a 1 bedroom villa. I would be very upset not to have a bathtub in such a high end hotel no matter how nice the shower looked!

The renovation of the villas is less extensive than the hotel rooms, the bathrooms are not being changed (other than perhaps paint and shower curtain). Photos of a renovated 1-bedroom.
You received a great villa for your first visit :thumbsup2
Wonderful views of the Paradise Pier area from the "corner" balcony.

Very pleased with the room we received. The kids LOVED watching the World of Color every night from our room!

Some additional renovated room pictures from my visit last month :goodvibes
Along with a group of friends we had 5 GCH rooms, and only one was renovated. This actually matches my rough estimate that 20% of the rooms were done at that time -- in order to complete the renovation before the peak holiday season, about 100 rooms (10%) need to be done each month.

This was not my room and friends had already unpacked, so I was not able to "stage" the room for photos.

The room was 5503. Villas are all numbered x5xx, but there are 8 regular hotel rooms in the VGC wing.
gch_5503.jpg

These nice 3-panel doors were part of the original VGC expansion in 2009, so it will be interesting to see if similar doors appear on renovated rooms in other areas of the hotel (I suspect not).
gch_door.jpg

Inside view of the entry (forgot to turn light on). Entry and sink areas are now hardwood floor, rather than carpet.
gch_entry.jpg

Entry light.
gch_entry_light.jpg

A significant change is there removal of the large closet with 2 heavy doors, which used a large amount of space. New closets are more like built-in furniture.
gch_closet_closed.jpg

The new closet is quite small.
gch_closet_open.jpg

Replacing free standing dresser and desk/table are built-in furniture.gch_desk.jpg

Desk (reverse angle)
Nice little lamp, I hope guests don't steal them. Small "lawyer" desk lamps were often stolen from the villas.
gch_desk2.jpg

TV
gch_tv.jpg

2 queen beds in this room. There is also a love seat sized sofa, which does not fold out -- rather than a daybed.
gch_beds.jpg

Last edited:

There is now indirectly lighting wrapping around the room.
Actually much brighter than my camera makes it appear.
gch_ceiling_light.jpg

Nicely patterned privacy drapes. Wisely placed inside the room, rather than against the sliding door -- this single change makes the room appear lighter and larger :thumbsup2
gch_drapes1.jpg

Blackout drapes are also lighter colored.
gch_drape2.jpg

Keurig coffee maker on a small dedicated counter, much better than over the sink.
gch_coffee_maker.jpg

Coffee supplies in drawer below Keurig.
gch_coffee.jpg

Glass door refrigerator.gch_fridge.jpg

Bathroom vanity is very similar to the original design, wood could even be reused (although I doubt it).
gch_bath_counter.jpg

Large mirror with light ring.
gch_mirror_large.jpg

Small lighted magnifying mirror:
gch_mirror_small.jpg

Rectangular sink, rather than round/oval.
gch_faucet.jpg

Amenities. New trays and tissue holder (perviously tissues were in a dispenser below the counter).
gch_amenities.jpg

This inlaid wood artwork between the beds is a very nice detail, along with wallpaper to continue the design.
Orange trees pay homage to the orange groves that DL replaced.
Chip and Dale (mascots of GCH) are featured.
gch_wood_inlay.jpg

Oranges and Chip and Dale.
gch_tall_picture.jpg

This frame is used in all the VGC units, with a different VGC print.
gch_wide_picture.jpg

Entry light switch. New style switches and outlets made by Legrand.
gch_entry_switch.jpg

Vanity area light switch.
gch_bath_switch.jpg

2 AC outlets and 4 USB above the desk. A second similar set is a few feet away below the TV.
gch_outlet_desk.jpg

Outlets on both sides of the vanity.
gch_outlet_bath.jpg

Outlets above nightstand (below wood inlay artwork).
gch_outlet_nightstand.jpg

Clock with 2 more USB outlets, for a total of 14 USB charger outlets.
gch_clock.jpg

Loving the look of these new rooms. Modernized and functional without being "sterile" at all. Fabulous. Thank you so much, Nonsuch, for getting these posted!

So bummed they got ride of the bathtubs. My dd9 loved soaking in the tub after a fun day in the parks.

Great photos, I'm hoping we get a renovated room when we check in next Monday, although I won't keep my hopes up. I'll report back on our room assignment and the pool progress.

Please post about the pool progress as we switched our reservations to the Grand next month after a CM said the pools would be done by 5/15 - curious to know the progress!!

Please post about the pool progress as we switched our reservations to the Grand next month after a CM said the pools would be done by 5/15 - curious to know the progress!!
It's surprising that the Fountain pool has not opened, or at least no reports.
Pools are generally ready in 10 days (according to a my local pool service) and the Fountain pool was filled 15 days ago (April 12).

Photo from April 13.
Mariposa pool in the foreground and filled Fountain Pool in the background. Mariposa pool deck is rectangular stone in random sizes, while Fountain pool used stone with random shapes.
gch_mariposa.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter