Grand Californian Super Thread

I didn't realize the lobby would be under construction in July. :sad: Hopefully the pool will be completed. :scared:

Yeah... we just found out about that a little more than month ago...:( I believe the pools will be completed... we spoke with someone from the hotel and they said that as of now pools will be open by July!

I thought I read somewhere that just the furniture is being replaced in the lobby. If so, maybe the changeover will be quick? Just speculations....

Oh okay...that sounds a little better! We spoke with someone from the hotel and they said it would be under construction with "limited access" so it had us a little worried. Obviously we have NO idea what to expect until they start on it, but hope it is quick and not too much of a nightmare. No one from Disney is really sharing any details so I feel a little in the dark ...and I don't like it!!

We just checked in tonight and wound up in a newly renovated room! The daybed is very large which is nice and it seems they listened to some complaints I read on here. There is a excess of electrical outlets and USB ports EVERYWHERE and there is a regular Keurig machine (I believe I read people wanted this?). It is pretty nice - we have never stayed in the old rooms so I can't compare but the fresh clean feeling is always appreciated.

How neat!! We are SO excited to see the new rooms... we have stayed in the old ones many, many times so it will be really cool to see the change! And I am with azdisneylover...pictures and deets if possible!! Woo hoo!

I will work on some pictures tomorrow! Were in a room with a view of the entry so I know these were previously day bed rooms as well from what I read ... maybe that was easier to update first? When we get fresh toiletries I'll snap a pic since my kids immediately gravitated towards these!

Here are a few pics. I can get more of anything as these were just quick! I haven't added pics before so not sure if they'll upload right. I can get good pics of pool progress tomorrow from the elevator lobby if that's not a no no

Attachments

• IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 156

I love the new look! Is this refurb for both the studio villas and the hotel rooms? Or will they be different? Was this the villa?

Any guess about when the pool area will be finished? Also, what are they doing out there that is taking so long (just curious)?

Crossing my fingers we get a bunk bed one last time when we go in a couple weeks - we've always had one on previous GCH stays and our kids love it so much

I'm at the GCH now, and did not get a renovated room. Bunk beds are moving to YesterLand, but the renovation will take many months (perhaps all year).

Can you tell if they are just fixing the pools or changing them?

We are staying in a 2BR suite during the last week of March. Any words of advice? I've only been to DL once before (and stayed at the GC) and people had advised me to ask for a room near the Napa Rose elevators to be close to the DCA entrance. Does that still hold true?

Can you tell if they are just fixing the pools or changing them?
The pool layout seems unchanged. Pool plaster, coping and pool deck were all removed. The rough concrete for the pool deck has been done, and random stone is being installed -- very time consuming and labor intensive. The stone will take a week or two to install, workmen cutting stone all day.

A post on the VGC superthread has completion in mid April. If the weather stays nice, this seems like a good estimate.

We are staying in a 2BR suite during the last week of March. Any words of advice? I've only been to DL once before (and stayed at the GC) and people had advised me to ask for a room near the Napa Rose elevators to be close to the DCA entrance. Does that still hold true?
Yes, rooms near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose are very convenient -- I'm just around the corner right now :thumbsup2
While there are some suites in this area, many suites are at the end of the hotel wings above DTD -- some great views, but long walks.

I will be staying there mid - June. Do you know what renovations should still be going on then? I'm really hoping the pools are open. I know that the lobby is being redone in June but I'm hoping not much else is effected.

Has anyone seen current pics of the pool area that are online? If so, can you please post a link?
Or if someone is there and doesn't mind, could you post a pic?

I'm thinking of booking for May, but we do enjoy resting a bit by the pool in the afternoons and we would be disappointed if we couldn't do that.

Has anyone seen current pics of the pool area that are online? If so, can you please post a link?
Or if someone is there and doesn't mind, could you post a pic?
I just got back, but didn't get a picture. There was hammering and sanding going on this morning in the pool area. I had a room that didn't have a view of that area, but walking by and getting a few glimpses of what's going on there, I did see a lot of piles of lumber and a concrete mixer. I couldn't tell exactly what they were doing, though. Looked like a major construction zone and not like the last pictures posted of the area in the rain a couple months ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter