Grand Californian Super Thread

Tip for the DTD Starbucks...if you are a Starbucks regular, download their app and you can now do mobile ordering (only at DTD Starbucks, not in parks). If you are staying at the Grand, it usually times out perfectly to hit submit on your order just as you hit the elevator and your order will magically appear on the counter when you arrive at the DTD location...skip the lines entirelyl

Tip for the DTD Starbucks...if you are a Starbucks regular, download their app and you can now do mobile ordering (only at DTD Starbucks, not in parks). If you are staying at the Grand, it usually times out perfectly to hit submit on your order just as you hit the elevator and your order will magically appear on the counter when you arrive at the DTD location...skip the lines entirelyl

We are and thanks so much for the tip! I was worried about the lines. :)

We were there last Tue to this past Monday and I'm pretty sure I saw a sign that Hearthstone had pastries and coffees, but I didn't read enough detail to know the times. We didn't visit Whitewater Snacks during breakfast so not sure how crazy it was.
I just realized we didn't even use that park entrance early AM. However, we only had 2 early days since we were there 5 full days.
We also only visited the DTD Starbucks twice in the afternoon (not lunch time) and the line was a lot longer and slower compared to my local Starbucks'. It seemed well staffed, it's just that much more busy. Just a heads up, although not very helpful since I didnt pay attention to the AM crowd there!

Yeah, I was afraid that the Starbucks would take a long time. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

We usually prefer to stay CL since it's so easy to grab a light breakfast and get going, but it's pretty cost prohibitive at this point. I just can't see spending $300/night more than we are spending now.

Building permit recently issued:
(sorry about poor formatting, bold text is mine)
Permit #: BLD2016-01396 Address: 1600 S DISNEYLAND DR GRAND CALIFORNIAN
Issued: 6/2/2016 Contractor:
Census: 437 Phone #:
Parcel #: 08219026 Type Of Work: Tenant Improvement
Valuation: $68,000,000.00 Description: Grand Californian Hotel - FY15 Hardgoods Rehab - Package 3 - Tenant Improvement: 64,318 sq.ft to remodel guest bathrooms. New non-bearing partition wall, framing in the closets, new 3 1/2" metal stud wall for beverage center in some suites specified
The bathrooms will be remodeled with a "new non-bearing partition wall".

I have another question for any GCH experts:

I booked a standard room this time. We did this once before and didn't love being right over all the cars at the valet station. Is there any other area of the hotel that is standard? Is there a better/quieter area I can request? (I understand that if I really want quiet I can upgrade to courtyard, but with no good discounts out there I'm already paying more than I want to. Not looking for a free upgrade, but rather if there is a better area that is still considered "standard view?")

TIA!

I have another question for any GCH experts:

I booked a standard room this time. We did this once before and didn't love being right over all the cars at the valet station. Is there any other area of the hotel that is standard? Is there a better/quieter area I can request? (I understand that if I really want quiet I can upgrade to courtyard, but with no good discounts out there I'm already paying more than I want to. Not looking for a free upgrade, but rather if there is a better area that is still considered "standard view?")

TIA!

Hiya. When we stayed in April my one room request was a room near the Napa Rose Elevators.

When I checked in, I was given a room to the far right of the block facing the front of the hotel.
I asked the CM if there were any other standard rooms available a little closer to the Napa elevators and I would have no trouble waiting if that made my request easier.

After a little searching she let me know she would find us a different room and would text us when it came available.
We ended up with room 3334, about as close to the elevator as you can get lol.
Its a fabulous location (imo) that put us feet way from the CA entrance and the pool. There was never any noise.

If you can request something similar then I think you'll be quite happy.

Is there a map that lists clearly all the standard rooms?
Unfortunately, Disney has never published an "official" map of view types.

This "unofficial" color coded map shows the general location of various view types. Suites and Villas are not booked with view types. Pool and Park views have been grouped as Premium View for booking. Rooms that do not meet the criteria for Premium or DTD will be: Deluxe Partial, Woods or Standard.
  • Red: Standard, all floors -- most Standard rooms are in this area
  • Brown: Courtyard, all floors
  • Blue: Upper floors are Premium (Pool)
  • Green: Upper floors are Premium (Park)
  • Yellow: Upper floors are DTD

map_gch_views_web.jpg

Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful. I'm guessing that if we request something near the 2nd elevator (near the DCA entrance) that we could possibly get something on a lower floor on that side. Although, to be honest, the room we had over by the valet area was very convenient in terms of getting to/from the lobby...

Last edited:
Is it true you cannot get a rollaway and that sleeping bags/mats are no longer available? (Talking about the hotel, not the timeshare.) Thank you.

Unfortunately, Disney has never published an "official" map of view types.

This "unofficial" color coded map shows the general location of various view types. Suites and Villas are not booked with view types. Pool and Park views have been grouped as Premium View for booking. Rooms that do not meet the criteria for Premium or DTD will be: Deluxe Partial, Woods or Standard.
  • Red: Standard, all floors -- most Standard rooms are in this area
  • Brown: Courtyard, all floors
  • Blue: Upper floors are Premium (Pool)
  • Green: Upper floors are Premium (Park)
  • Yellow: Upper floors are DTD

View attachment 175551

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Nonsuch, you are such a great help, especially on this thread. The map is awesome and I think should be stickied into the regular maps! This is very helpful.

Thanks again!
Linda

Just an FYI in case anyone is looking at the late summer discount today... but the courtyard/woods view is actually less $$$ than standard (at least for our dates) so I upgraded and saved money. Now I have to figure out what to request all over again. Thanks for posting that map -- it's very helpful! :goodvibes:

I haven't had time to read all 201 pages, so hopefully someone will answer a few quick questions.

1. Do all VGC studios have a balcony or do I need to request one?
2. Are the laundry facilities free as they are at WDW DVC resorts?
3. What size are the coffeemakers?

Thanks!
If you are staying in a villa it should have a washer/dryer in the closet off the kitchen. We had a two bedroom last May and without asking we had a wonderful view of DCA and California Screaming (made it easy to see when it was running or not - it went down a lot when we were there). I believe all villas have a balcony and the coffeemaker said it was a 12 cup but it was more like 10.

Does anyone know if the renovations have started? Also, I read earlier in the thread that the slats on the railings of the lower floor balconies are not see-through. How high up do you have to go to be able to see through the balconies when you are seated? Is this all the way around the building or is it just on certain sides? Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know if the renovations have started?
There have not been any reports of interior room renovations, but exterior work has been ongoing.
...I read earlier in the thread that the slats on the railings of the lower floor balconies are not see-through. How high up do you have to go to be able to see through the balconies when you are seated? Is this all the way around the building or is it just on certain sides?
The GCH has several styles of balcony railings: metal railings, wide wood, solid wall.
Some balconies are enclosed with walls, others are very open. These differences are intended to created a certain "rustic" look to the hotel, and avoid appearing like a huge "block" of rooms. These exterior treatments are on all areas of the hotel. Rooms on higher floors are more likely to have see-through railings, but there is no uniform pattern.

The majority rooms at the front of the hotel are exactly the same, but balcony treatments and many other design details soften the look:
912e0db38f0cbbbf9deb1caa9971be5d.jpg

Thanks, Nonsuch! I will call tomorrow and change my room request to high floor, open balcony, king bed. Does this sound right? We were initially booked at the DLH, but I changed to the GCH to have a balcony, so it is really important to me. Do you know if the solid wall balconies are common?

...I will call tomorrow and change my room request to high floor, open balcony, king bed. Does this sound right? We were initially booked at the DLH, but I changed to the GCH to have a balcony, so it is really important to me.
I don't have any way of knowing, but rather doubt the CM assigning rooms will understand a request for "open balcony". Balcony railings are a recent topic in this thread, but I have not seen any other posts in hundreds of pages about GCH and VGC. All rooms have balconies, so at least you have that covered.

King bed could be difficult. I always request a king, but many times have not received one.

Another request I make: Near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose.

...Do you know if the solid wall balconies are common?
Solid wall balconies are quite common, particularly on the Standard view rooms at the front of the hotel.

We will be staying VGC studio for the first half of our trip. There are three large adults and one child, so I'm a little nervous about the room size. Does anyone know if it is possible to pay the difference for an upgrade to a larger room without messing up the owners account? I've never stayed VGC before, so I'm a bit confused as to how it all works. The owner did request an accessible room and was told that we were "put on the list". I don't know if the accessible room would be any bigger or not.

The owner is my "aunt's" employer, so I don't want to bug him with a bunch of questions...

We will be staying VGC studio for the first half of our trip. There are three large adults and one child, so I'm a little nervous about the room size. Does anyone know if it is possible to pay the difference for an upgrade to a larger room without messing up the owners account? I've never stayed VGC before, so I'm a bit confused as to how it all works. The owner did request an accessible room and was told that we were "put on the list". I don't know if the accessible room would be any bigger or not.
You can always ask, but it highly unlikely any room change is possible. VGC is a DVC timeshare, and for the most part 100% booked using DVC points.

If the owner booked the Handicap Accessible studio, you will receive villa 1516. The HA studio is the same size as a regular studio, but the bathroom has a different layout. While the total area is the same, the HA studio may seem slightly more spacious (good news) -- the bathroom is slightly smaller, since the toilet/shower and sink are in the same space and the closet (without doors) faces the bedroom.

Take a look at these pictures on allears.net

You can always ask, but it highly unlikely any room change is possible. VGC is a DVC timeshare, and for the most part 100% booked using DVC points.

If the owner booked the Handicap Accessible studio, you will receive villa 1516. The HA studio is the same size as a regular studio, but the bathroom has a different layout. While the total area is the same, the HA studio may seem slightly more spacious (good news) -- the bathroom is slightly smaller, since the toilet/shower and sink are in the same space and the closet (without doors) faces the bedroom.

Take a look at these pictures on allears.net
I had a feeling that was the case. We'll work it out. I'm just happy to be going back! Thanks for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter