Grand Californian - "smoking"

WDWJWEB1

DVC - VWL and SSR
I know this is a non-smoking resort, but for smokers where do they go to smoke?

There is an outdoor fireplace you can smoke at. There are also several other smoking areas within the hotel. You can also smoke anywhere outside in DTD.

There is an outdoor fireplace you can smoke at. There are also several other smoking areas within the hotel. You can also smoke anywhere outside in DTD.

Thank-you for all the replies, hopefully I'll have quit

by then but one never knows.

Thanks again

I had a lot of people tell me they smoke on their balcony. Just close the door so the smoke doesn't go in the room. They said lots of people were smoking on their balconies and some were even smoking other things! No one ever said anything, not even to the wild party people unless it happened after my friends went inside.

I would be chicken because they make you sign an agreement saying you will pay an extra $200 if you smoke in your room but some people think at the rates they are already paying, that is just the "smoking fee".

If you do "play by the rules" it is a long long walk down the hall to get out to where you can smoke but people have propped the end doors open while they are smoking so they can get right back in, esp. late at night in their pjs-lol.

The problem with smoking on your balcony is if the family next to you has asthma or allergies. I know for a fact (kids with both) that this can be lifethreatening. I have had my kids really sick from being in a non-smoking room that had oviously been smoked in. Please be considerate of those with real health problems and only smoke in designated areas.

Eeyorecln said:
The problem with smoking on your balcony is if the family next to you has asthma or allergies. I know for a fact (kids with both) that this can be lifethreatening. I have had my kids really sick from being in a non-smoking room that had oviously been smoked in. Please be considerate of those with real health problems and only smoke in designated areas.

I echo this sentitment 110%. My two daughters are asthmatic and we had the bad luck of having a [heavy] nighttime balcony smoker two full floors up during our last stay ath the GCH in Oct. Each morning ashes blew into our room from our own balcony where they had been "flicked" during the night. Please don't smoke anywhere but the designated areas of the hotel and have a really great vacation :flower:

Jen

I agree but I was just saying what others told me about the smoking issue.

Even though we always book a non smoking room, often you can smell smoke and more often, we have been surprised to find out the hotel allows pets! Both of my kids are so sensitive to smoke and pets that we bring a hepa filter with us to all hotels. If we drive, it fits easily enough as it is only 1 foot tall and so worth having! I wouldn't take the chance of not having it and have even taken it on planes in its own suitcase. I consider it "insurance" for my ds especially who gets so stuffed up in a pet/smoke room that he can not even function. If your kids are as bad as mine, you should invest in one. It was around $50 at Target and the filters are maybe $20 and last up to 6 months. It is well worth the peace of mind especially if your kids get as sick as mine and could potentially ruin your trip.

I agree and wish people would abide by the rules but I know they often don't and this is an easy way to assure that we are comfortable. I plug it in as soon as we get into the room and let it run the whole first day. Then I usually just run it at night while we are sleeping and the kids are used to the hum. As a bonus, it usually masks all sounds from other rooms/halls too!

You don't have to go "outside the park" to smoke, but be prepared for a lot of snotiness about smoking at Disney and at the GC. I quit almost a year ago, but my husband still smokes. He is considerate and only smokes in designated areas. We spent a few evenings sitting at the outdoor fireplace at the GC having a drink in a place where he could smoke. You wouldn't believe the number of people that came into the smoking area and then asked him to put out his cigarrette because it bothered them.

Please keep your kids of designated smoking areas as well.

If it bothers them then why wouldn't they move away? That's a "designated" area.

There is almost nothing worse than checking into a Non-smoking room that has been smoked in, or going out to enjoy your balcony and breathing someone's smoke, or an unpleasant hallway. (used to be a smoker :rotfl2: )

I agree, though, going to a designated smoking area and asking people to put out their cigarettes is like sitting next to a pool and yelling, "I can't get wet!!!!" :sad:

I appreciate those who do choose to use the designated areas :flower:

It is frustrating when you can't enjoy your balcony because of a neighbour smoking on theirs. This happened to us this past summer. I really appreciate people who practice good smoking etiquette.

MAGICFOR2 said:
I agree, though, going to a designated smoking area and asking people to put out their cigarettes is like sitting next to a pool and yelling, "I can't get wet!!!!" :sad:

Not to be off topic but I had to share..LOL
We actually had this happen at our hotel in June 2005. My 5 year old DS was swimming with a few new friends at the pool. A lady came and sit down at the kiddie end of the pool where all the kids were already playing hung her feet in the water. LOL My DS splashed her when he went to catch a ball. She actually had the nerve to tell him " move over to the other side or down there", pointing to the deep end. Well I nicely told her what i thought and that was the end of it. Only took two more splashes and she moved..LOL

I quit smoking on our trip to Disneyland. I wanted to quit anyway, and we were so busy having fun and doing other things that I didn't even think about it. I must tell you, it's much easier to not want to smoke at DL than in the real world.

I agree Dis Ohana.

I do respect the place is for kids so I do not smoke on places where kids are around even there's a designated area (Ok not to sound too holy here. I did smoke infront of our hotel [off-site]).

While we can all agree smoking is not healthy, I see nothing wrong with smokers using the designated smoking areas. That's their choice, and those that choose otherwise can go everywhere else. :rotfl:

Yes, it was odd to have people actually go out of their way to approach us about the smoke. I had heard a variety of stories about balcony smoking, so we asked the front desk. They said it was most definitely not okay to smoke on the balconies so my husband didn't. It was tough for him since we come from a state where there are still smoking sections in restaurants, but he was actually quite good about not even smoking in the rental car.

I tell you what though, being at Disneyland made me want to start smoking again, unlike some of you :-) It was still fairly crowded during our trip and I honestly don't think I have ever seen as many infants in strollers in the park as I did on this trip. About 3-4 every afternoon they all seemed to have meltdowns at the same time. Mornings were okay... but I think there were a lot of parents who visited with babies and little toddlers assuming the crowds would be much lower. They were apparently caught off guard and I saw an awful lot of young parents who were grim faced and determined to enjoy themselves but struggling with it. Definitely made me want to light up again! I compromised by stepping into the smoking sections with my husband, which actually worked as a little time out for me too!

The only problem I have with people smoking near me is...I want one too!! It's only been 2 months since I've quit, so I'm walking on eggshells here, hoping this will be it!

A couple of years ago, my daughter learned in school that cigarettes are a drug. We were at the mall one day after school, and she said very loudly, "Mommy, I don't want you to use drugs anymore!" :headache: You can imagine the looks I got.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter