Gotta be honest.... Not my best trip

@whoever Thanks for your honesty. The things you mention are the reasons that I keep putting an 'onsite' DLR trip off. I just don't want to put out 'that kind' of money and then end up regretting it because of a frustrating and/or disappointing experience.

I'm really looking forward to our WDW trip next Fall, WDW has always been more 'regimented' than DL and I think it will work to advantage with the 'new normal'. I've already got our park reservations made, I'm used to getting up at 3am to make ADRs at 60 days, and I think G+ will work well for us.

But as far as DL I think my first trip will be 'dipping my toe' in the parks with a one day hopper while staying with family early next year.
Stormy, I know you are getting up in age, and as such, I simply CANNOT recommend DLR in its present condition. Especially for your guests. I know this might appear as a downer but I love DLR. Just saddened to see it in it's current state

As a MK holder I unfortunately agree with much of this.
While I *personally* find value in my MK and ability to go often being in the east bay California , for the day visitors it is a complete wreck many times. I encourage everyone to fill out those surveys and better even emaill guest relations with specifics even if the issues were addressed in the parks.

I ALWAYS look forward to your reviews/ trip reports so it makes me even more sad to hear about your lackluster trip this time around.

I preach to people to "vote with your wallet" but admit that Disney for me is therapy I somewhat rely on with my high stress job. My MK expires in September so that will be the time I will have to really dig deep and decide what my Disney future looks like.

As a MK holder I unfortunately agree with much of this.
While I *personally* find value in my MK and ability to go often being in the east bay California , for the day visitors it is a complete wreck many times. I encourage everyone to fill out those surveys and better even emaill guest relations with specifics even if the issues were addressed in the parks.

I ALWAYS look forward to your reviews/ trip reports so it makes me even more sad to hear about your lackluster trip this time around.

I preach to people to "vote with your wallet" but admit that Disney for me is therapy I somewhat rely on with my high stress job. My MK expires in September so that will be the time I will have to really dig deep and decide what my Disney future looks like.
I had no choice with this one. I personally haven't even had a vacation in over 3 years other than one weekend I spent camping by myself up north in AZ. For this one I HAD to go. It was Vic's 10th. HAD TO HAPPEN. I appreciate you watching my kids grow up at DLR through my TRs, and I hope for many more, but I just can't see it with the current status of the parks.

Thank you for posting your honest thoughts about your trip. We had a completely magical trip in May, even with G+ and all of the new issues. I am worried about our Thanksgiving trip next week, though. The only thing that may save us is that we have 5 park days and one ADR each day, including WoC Dessert Party and River Belle Terrace for Fantasmic seats. I agree about the decreased cost benefit, especially when staying on site. The rack rate for GCH is over $900/night now, and when we first started staying there it was in the $400 range. We won't stay at GCH anymore unless we are getting the Dapper Day rate. Luckily we do love the charm of the DLH so that's our go-to for on site now. In May we were told that the hotel wasn't fully staffed and that we could not have daily Mousekeeping, but I firmly and politely informed the CM that I was not going to be making my own bed on vacation, and although she did not verbally state that we would have daily Mousekeeping, we did receive it. The rides were not constantly 101 in May so we didn't have that frustration, but I am concerned for next week because there are so many reports of rides being down, especially in the extra-magic-minutes. I cannot understand why there isn't a dedicated gate for this anymore - to have to funnel through the off-site guests in DTD, the esplanade, and the gates? It makes no sense at all. I will be following up with an email to guest services after our trip, because I feel like we all need to provide feedback if anything is going to change.

Thank you for posting your honest thoughts about your trip. We had a completely magical trip in May, even with G+ and all of the new issues. I am worried about our Thanksgiving trip next week, though. The only thing that may save us is that we have 5 park days and one ADR each day, including WoC Dessert Party and River Belle Terrace for Fantasmic seats. I agree about the decreased cost benefit, especially when staying on site. The rack rate for GCH is over $900/night now, and when we first started staying there it was in the $400 range. We won't stay at GCH anymore unless we are getting the Dapper Day rate. Luckily we do love the charm of the DLH so that's our go-to for on site now. In May we were told that the hotel wasn't fully staffed and that we could not have daily Mousekeeping, but I firmly and politely informed the CM that I was not going to be making my own bed on vacation, and although she did not verbally state that we would have daily Mousekeeping, we did receive it.
To be clear, we did have daily Mousekeeping at the DLH this trip and they were well compensated via tip afterwards.

The rides were not constantly 101 in May so we didn't have that frustration, but I am concerned for next week because there are so many reports of rides being down, especially in the extra-magic-minutes. I cannot understand why there isn't a dedicated gate for this anymore - to have to funnel through the off-site guests in DTD, the esplanade, and the gates? It makes no sense at all. I will be following up with an email to guest services after our trip, because I feel like we all need to provide feedback if anything is going to change.
The non-dedicated gates are stupid NOT to have. I'm sorry if you enter the wrong gate and have to go to the back of the line, but it's LITERALLY on the entrance p;laque. They NEED to go back to this vs letting everyone into the park and sorting it out inside. Also, 30mins is garbage. 60 was barely acceptable. That needs to return.

Stormy, I know you are getting up in age, and as such, I simply CANNOT recommend DLR in its present condition. Especially for your guests. I know this might appear as a downer but I love DLR. Just saddened to see it in it's current state

Yep, I'm getting to 'that age', but my main thing is the mobility issue. Minor, but 'there'. Last time at WDW I used a scooter and it did make a difference in a good way so I'd probably use one at DL, depending on how I'm doing that day.

I wouldn't have guests with me though, I'd be going to DL solo. I stay with family who live about 30 mins from DL, but they'd rather chew glass. NOT Disney folk in any way.

I'll take your advice to heart, but since I'm not going south for a few months I have plenty of time to decide. Que será, será.

Yep, I'm getting to 'that age', but my main thing is the mobility issue. Minor, but 'there'. Last time at WDW I used a scooter and it did make a difference in a good way so I'd probably use one at DL, depending on how I'm doing that day.

I wouldn't have guests with me though, I'd be going to DL solo. I stay with family who live about 30 mins from DL, but they'd rather chew glass. NOT Disney folk in any way.

I'll take your advice to heart, but since I'm not going south for a few months I have plenty of time to decide. Que será, será.
I feel for ya. If I'm still alive and of scooter age, I might need a fog horn on my scooter because I'm not slowing down. If you and I are ever there simultaneously, you can always rest an arm on me...

This is exactly how I felt after our august trip. We are going again Saturday. We have lowered our expectations and are deciding to do things differently than we normally do. We aren’t expecting to get much done actually. We will see. This trip will decide if we go again anytime soon. I don’t have high hopes being that it’s a holiday week.

This is exactly how I felt after our august trip. We are going again Saturday. We have lowered our expectations and are deciding to do things differently than we normally do. We aren’t expecting to get much done actually. We will see. This trip will decide if we go again anytime soon. I don’t have high hopes being that it’s a holiday week.

The present conditions make for something that exhausts you not refreshes you.

I use DAS which does help and sometimes even splurge for Genie+ if I'm only down for a day since I will drive down a Wednesday night and then come back on a Friday morning usually but varies on my priorities. Which absolutely isn't preferred but have found that's what works for me right now.

Even so I find myself making "goals" for things to do.
Last trip was Haunted Mansion Holiday , riding the train and a few other favorite rides. I've been spending more time doing Animation academy , turtle talk and other shows as they are available.

I've had to use a scooter more lately due to an injury that could last months or longer..(thanks workman's comp..) and getting around the crowds lately has been abysmal earlier in the year as well.

Yes, 101 is Disney speak for attraction down.

Early Entry is ANYTHING BUT early. They open security at 7 when EE starts at 730. Y0u have 500 people in front of you, and they open the park gates to everybody and then screen out the EE people to the side. It's Absolutely HORRIBLE compared to days gone bye. You are LUCKY if you can even get to EE from Security by your entrance window and then, once in, 90% of what is supposed to be open is DOWN
Thank you for the explanations, Whoever.

That EE situation is ridiculous. Why on earth did they change from a 60-minute EE with a procedure that worked to a 30-minute window with a procedure that's so bad it eats up all the EE time??

Thank you for the explanations, Whoever.

That EE situation is ridiculous. Why on earth did they change from a 60-minute EE with a procedure that worked to a 30-minute window with a procedure that's so bad it eats up all the EE time??
You can call me Matt.. everybody else does. Just don't call me Shirley...

[movie]

I'm scratching my head on this one as well. The entry part isn't even the worst. The fact that NOTHING IS OPEN is.

Last edited:
Whoa Nellie..... What a trip for you and your family Matt!
Sounds like this is Disney's new Norm.

I am a Disney fan and have been going since the original opening day way back when.

The memories pre covid are delightful for me and my family.
My trip post covid (Feb 2022 )are as you and others have described.

I have decided to vote with my wallet and will not return or be an AP holder UNTIL Disney quits screwing with the guest.

Whoa Nellie..... What a trip for you and your family Matt!
Sounds like this is Disney's new Norm.

I am a Disney fan and have been going since the original opening day way back when.

The memories pre covid are delightful for me and my family.
My trip post covid (Feb 2022 )are as you and others have described.

I have decided to vote with my wallet and will not return or be an AP holder UNTIL Disney quits screwing with the guest.
This seriously saddens me. The new Norm is NOT DiSNEY

I'm sorry that you had a disappointing trip. It seems to be the trend that I'm seeing lately with other trip reports on here and on Twitter. I was planning on going next year but I decided to cancel those plans. It's just not worth it for me, especially since I don't live on the west coast. I even saw people on Twitter saying that it's cheaper from the west coast to fly to Japan, go to their Disney parks and then come back rather than go to Disneyland and I find that to be really sad.

Also this isn't Disneyland but I noticed WAY more VIP tour groups in WDW too.

Yes, 101 is Disney speak for attraction down.

Early Entry is ANYTHING BUT early. They open security at 7 when EE starts at 730. Y0u have 500 people in front of you, and they open the park gates to everybody and then screen out the EE people to the side. It's Absolutely HORRIBLE compared to days gone bye. You are LUCKY if you can even get to EE from Security by your entrance window and then, once in, 90% of what is supposed to be open is DOWN

The thing that really irritates me about early entry is the advice on here and by bloggers like Disneyland daily Casey- arrive at the gate by 6:15am or 6:30am, so you’re near the front of the line.

So you spend over $600 per night at a hotel, and then have to arrive absurdly early just so you can try and utilize the alleged benefit???? Huh???? There should be, at minimum, a separate ticket line entrance for early entry. You should be able to walk up at 7:25 and breeze right in. That’s what we used to do for EMH at WDW. We didn’t plan on arriving an hour before the EMH even started! How ridiculous.

And yes, nothing is open. We were there 11/6, and Space Mountain, Snow White and one other Fantasyland ride were down. They don’t open Matterhorn or IASW. Most of the time at least 1-2 rides are down.

Last edited:
The thing that really irritates me about early entry is the advice on here and by bloggers like Disneyland daily Casey- arrive at the gate by 6:15am or 6:30am, so you’re near the front of the line.

So you spend over $600 per night at a hotel, and then have to arrive absurdly early just so you can try and utilize the alleged benefit???? Huh???? There should be, at minimum, a separate ticket line entrance for early entry. You should be able to walk up at 7:25 and breeze right in. That’s what we used to do for EMH at WDW. We didn’t plan on arriving an hour before the EMH even started! How ridiculous.

And yes, nothing is open. We were there 11/6, and Space Mountain, Snow White and one other Fantasyland ride were down. They don’t open Matterhorn or IASW. Most of the time at least 1-2 rides are down.
No, you spend that, wait in a line even if you are there at 630, deal with crowds, and then everything and everything BUT dumbo and the Carousel is down. Yeah, that feels like a great experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter