• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GotG motion sickness poll

Motion sickness level for you

• No issues with motion sickness

Votes: 326 61.0%
  • Mild nausea

Votes: 137 25.7%
  • GotG was a vomit comet for me

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Bad nausea

Votes: 62 11.6%

• Total voters
Going backwards is what got me. If you know you have motion sickness then definitely take some meds before.

It was much worse than the backwards part of Everest.
Funny, I think Everest is worse going backwards because GotG is so smooth. It's crazy how everyone experiences this ride differently.

The first time I rode I was in the 2nd last row (1st row of last car) and I really psyched myself up, worried I'd get sick. I found the ride a little too much for me, but I felt I should ride it again and the second time was so much better, once I knew what to expect.

Funny, I think Everest is worse going backwards because GotG is so smooth. It's crazy how everyone experiences this ride differently.

The first time I rode I was in the 2nd last row (1st row of last car) and I really psyched myself up, worried I'd get sick. I found the ride a little too much for me, but I felt I should ride it again and the second time was so much better, once I knew what to expect.
This is pretty much my exact experience/feeling. Everest going backwards really starts to get to me. The last row of GotG was my first ride and it was more intense than I was expecting, but my next two rides were front row and then row three (I think) and both were fine.

For first time riders that are unsure about how it will affect them- request to sit between rows 1-5.

Reading this with interest...
I will have some mints with me and ginger pills (as well as pre-med with a Bonine).
My questions: I found these "natural" patched on amazon; has anyone used these? MQ Motion Sickness Patches.

Also, when we get off, if I need a Coke / sugary drink... what is the closest stop?

Reading this with interest...
I will have some mints with me and ginger pills (as well as pre-med with a Bonine).
My questions: I found these "natural" patched on amazon; has anyone used these? MQ Motion Sickness Patches.

Also, when we get off, if I need a Coke / sugary drink... what is the closest stop?
Connections is right next door. That’s where I went and sat for about 20 minutes after the ride. And I was able to charge my phone too so it didn’t feel so much like I was wasting time.

I was just accepted into a medical trial for a new motion sickness drug. I’m pretty scared that I might be given the placebo and have to sit on a rocking boat for 4 hours but-if it will help us all get a new motion sickness medicine so I can do all the rides at Disney, it will be worth it.

Everest is too much for me... The first Mission Space was HORRIBLE for me (never again) ,I don't really like the drop on ToT, Rocknroller coaster,I used to do it a lot, but not really anymore-GoTG ,while fast,and spinny etc, I did fine,no nausea or anything. I did keep my eyes on the track mostly right in front of the car,which helped orient my brain... I will say that there are a lot of g forces on this ride with all the spinning etc, and I had a headache for about 15 minutes after,along with exhilaration .... it was fantastic! ( I was soooo worried I'd feel sick after but nope!)

Adding my experience. I have NEVER felt the level of motion sickness I felt during GotG. But, the rest of my family were all just fine. So, it was just me (1 out of 4).

I wore a pressure band (Sea Band) that has been helpful in cruise ships, etc., but it did nothing to help on the ride. I had to go lay down afterwards.

I don't get motion sickness on any Disney rides (I do avoid Mission Space because I've heard it's bad). It's not just the backward launch because Expedition Everest is my #1 favorite ride in WDW and I don't get motion sickness in it. I don't have a problem with any of these:
  • Expedition Everest
  • Soarin
  • ToT
  • RnRC
The only other ride where I've felt that level of motion sickness is The Simpsons ride at Universal. I also get some motion sickness in Forbidden Journey. I have to breath deep and look ahead on Gringott's, but I can do it.

Rides that give me motion sickness:
  • GotG (very bad)
  • Simpsons (very bad)
  • Forbidden Journey (somewhat bad)
  • Gringott's (a little bad)

I recently got to ride GOTG twice. Now I get nauseous when riding Everest, Mission space, and flight of passage.

So after riding I believe the issue with GOTG is that the screens they want you to look at while riding are too high above you. When I rode I noticed I would have to look too far upwards to see what was going on. Nothing is in front or below you after that first seen when you go backwards. So with the G forces produced from the coaster and you looking around and constantly upwards causes the nausea. So if your concerned about it, just view the scenes using your peripheral vision rather then trying to look directly at it.

I recently got to ride GOTG twice. Now I get nauseous when riding Everest, Mission space, and flight of passage.

So after riding I believe the issue with GOTG is that the screens they want you to look at while riding are too high above you. When I rode I noticed I would have to look too far upwards to see what was going on. Nothing is in front or below you after that first seen when you go backwards. So with the G forces produced from the coaster and you looking around and constantly upwards causes the nausea. So if your concerned about it, just view the scenes using your peripheral vision rather then trying to look directly at it.
This makes a lot of sense!! You’re the first one to describe it as a lot of having to look upwards to see the stuff.

We rode this back in July and I did get mildly nauseous. No other ride at WDW has done that to me, and I've been on them all.

For those you who have ridden already , please select one choice , and if you felt nauseous or selected the vomit comet option please reply with what other WDW rides you have felt this on , I think this poll will help those evaluate if it’s worth a ride
I ride everything except Mission Space. Sometimes I have to close my eyes on FOP to avoid motion sickness. Unfortunately I had to keep my eyes closed through most of GoG or I felt really dizzy. I’m so sad because the ride was so smooth and I want to love it.

Well, we rode GotG again last Monday. I forgot to take Bonine beforehand, and despite keeping my head facing the front of the car as I’ve done before, I was definitely more nauseated by the end and had to sit on the bench for a few minutes after we got off. The CM nicely asked if I needed a bag, which I didn’t, but in future I’ll make a note to remind myself about taking Bonine when I expect to ride!

Bumping this to ask what exactly triggers the motion sickness on Guardians?
For me, it's the spinning. The first time I rode was the sickest I've ever felt on a ride. I needed to sit for almost an hour in Connections before I could walk again.

I tried again about a year later. Even after taking meclizine, I started to feel extremely sick about a minute in. Thankfully, I was okay once it ended, just needed to walk slowly and not jerk my head.

Rides with screens or spinning tend to make me sick. Guardians has both, so it's the worst.

I think it's mostly the spinning. Crush's Coaster in DLP has some of the same issues from what I hear (I've ridden it and it was surprisingly intense), the screens just add another dimension though. It's why people recommend NOT looking at the screens and focusing your attention straight ahead if you have motion sickness issues.

Bumping this to ask what exactly triggers the motion sickness on Guardians?
For most it's the movement of going forward and twisting at the same time, in the dark, with screens around you. It's a lot so if you have any tendencies to motion issues, this ride can trigger them more than most.

For me, it's the spinning. The first time I rode was the sickest I've ever felt on a ride. I needed to sit for almost an hour in Connections before I could walk again.

I tried again about a year later. Even after taking meclizine, I started to feel extremely sick about a minute in. Thankfully, I was okay once it ended, just needed to walk slowly and not jerk my head.

Rides with screens or spinning tend to make me sick. Guardians has both, so it's the worst.
Like full rotation spinning? I certainly won’t ride it but my son loves coasters. Spinning won’t work for him though.

I think it's mostly the spinning. Crush's Coaster in DLP has some of the same issues from what I hear (I've ridden it and it was surprisingly intense), the screens just add another dimension though. It's why people recommend NOT looking at the screens and focusing your attention straight ahead if you have motion sickness issues.
So closing eyes helps?

forward and twisting at the same time, in the dark, with screens around you.
Ah, like you’re spiraling. I get it. I haven’t watched the ride video. My kid likes to be surprised so he hasn’t watched it either. Just trying to get a feel for the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter