Got the Disney Blues :(

I feel the pain, I have a booking for this October that I'm most likely going to have to cancel, but to rebook the exact same for 2018 is £1200 more and with that inflation I'm not sure I'll ever get back on property.

I have ruined it for myself by staying at OKW twice and having free Disney dining. We also stayed at Hard Rock at Universal. As a family of 5, it's always going to be an expensive trip as so few places accommodate 5 and I could not cope with being in one room for 2 weeks. We are also tied to the school holidays as I am a teacher, bumping up the price even more. So the short answer is, I'd rather have luxury and convenience.

I think my maximum budget will be £10k, hoping to include: indirect flights, 1 week at OKW with free Disney Dining, 1 week at Cabana Bay and Universal. Keeping everything crossed.

Well, if it's luxury you're after (possibly not convenience) then it's got to be business class flights and the grand Floridian. I know what you're saying about separate rooms but we gave that up for the pleasure of staying at the GF. There are ways to do both for under your 10k budget. The flights do mean going to Dublin first but we've done that twice now and it's great. Ps we are also tied to school holidays, we tend to go at the end of August and get back for school starting in September. The business class flights from Dublin normally come out in December for the following August and can be from £650 per person on American. Ryan air to Dublin sounds horrible but it's so quick it doesn't matter and it's normally £10 pp.

There is a us travel agent you can search for that does a Labor Day special on the deluxe resorts for the end of August. GF is normally £3200 ish for two weeks. Not sure they sleep five but there's bound to be something in the deluxe range. That deal normally comes out around September time for the following year. Let me know in a couple of years if you want any more info, I'll still be here planning the next trip, and the next, and the next.

Hi, sorry to jump in, but London75, it is looking like we can only go at the end of August early September. That is if we can find the money thanks to the price hike.

But I'm trying not to think about that and stay hopeful. Our hesitation comes from a wonderful late April trip which cannot be repeated until the kids leave school now. It was hot but not humid and pretty quiet. We know August is known for its humidity and rain but is it as 'bad' as some people say? I went late July into August many years ago and didn't question it. But so many people say they wouldn't go in August that they have me wondering if it will be too much for the kids.

Also what are the crowds like? Is it noticeably quieter than in July?

We went 2 years ago for 3 wks from around the 10th August and is was very manageable. Fast passes and extra magic hours worked really well and actually got more done and gave us more pool time then on any previous trip. We'd head to the pool after lunch when the heat got to much at the parks. As long as you are prepared for it it doesn't seem as bad if that makes sense-don't forget there's always the ice cold air conditioning in the shops to cool you down/freeze you! :goodvibes

Thanks mummycat. That's what I was hoping would be the response. When we went before we had the kids we never gave it a second thought but if they can't cope with the heat it would be difficult. All I need now is some better prices for 2018 :worship:

Has anyone else caved in? Following my post I looked at the income, savings, how I could save more. And booked two weeks at the Beach Club for 2018! Got decent flight prices with a package. I never do packages! Happy days again. I am doing super careful food and clothes shopping for a year though .......

No I haven't yet sadly. We wanted YC but when we saw the prices we couldn't do it, so we looked at alternatives and ended up back at YC by which time the price has gone up even more (this is WDWTC) as they don't have standard or woodland view rooms showing now so I am waiting to see when they release more. We will be going late August

I feel you all (those who can't go just yet). We were fortunate to go last year but now I have to wait till Sept 2019 to go again :sad1:
I know in comparison it's not that long, but it's still too long. And the price hikes are really worrying me. I had a check for 2018 for when and what we would want, and it's already £800 more than last year. If it keeps up like this, we won't even be able to go 2019...

I used to get the Disney Blues all the time but after almost 40 visits I have little desire to go back for now. If we were going back to Florida it would be down to Key West. We will still get our Disney fix this year with a couple of days at Disneyland CA & a 4 night Disney cruise but no WDW in the foreseeable future.
Hope you get there soon :)

40 visits. :love: I would love that. For now I'm just dreaming of Disney and telling my OH that yes we can still afford to go in 2018. The right price will appear.

I used to get the Disney Blues all the time but after almost 40 visits I have little desire to go back for now. If we were going back to Florida it would be down to Key West. We will still get our Disney fix this year with a couple of days at Disneyland CA & a 4 night Disney cruise but no WDW in the foreseeable future.
Hope you get there soon :)
Wow, Wayne, never thought you'd say that - I remember you used to go several times a year!

Wow, Wayne, never thought you'd say that - I remember you used to go several times a year!
Like 2008, 4 times within the year :)
Many reasons, I feel Disney are being too greedy (I know they are a business to make profit but I feel they have gone too far) Last trip we saw bins overflowing, building work everywhere just spoilt the Magic for me. Plus we have had some amazing trips to the Deep South, found the love of cruising and wanting to spend more time with my Brother (he lives his life split between Turkey & Tenerife) just so much we want to do away from Florida. I am sure we will be back but not for now.

Hi, sorry to jump in, but London75, it is looking like we can only go at the end of August early September. That is if we can find the money thanks to the price hike.

But I'm trying not to think about that and stay hopeful. Our hesitation comes from a wonderful late April trip which cannot be repeated until the kids leave school now. It was hot but not humid and pretty quiet. We know August is known for its humidity and rain but is it as 'bad' as some people say? I went late July into August many years ago and didn't question it. But so many people say they wouldn't go in August that they have me wondering if it will be too much for the kids.

Also what are the crowds like? Is it noticeably quieter than in July?

Sorry for the late reply, the very end of August is definitely much quieter than July especially if your school tips over into September. This year they are doing Halloween parties for two dates at the end of August too which used to be loads of fun although I've not been to one for years. Also beware of BTGs in July, I won't explain (google the term with WDW) as I got a slight telling off for supposed racial slurs last time but it's real and makes me a bit sad we're going in July this year!

As an indication, late August, you usually need to book in advance for fastpasses on the most popular rides but nothing else and it's likely you'll get a table at pretty much any restaurant you want if you book same day in the morning. One day we strolled into Magic Kingdom just after opening and it was nearly deserted, no queues at all for the first hour!

I'm with you on late April and early May that we used to do when the kids were little, it's a lovely time of year to go. Although memories are slightly tarnished by the year a dozen love bugs flew into my mouth, hmmm crunchy.

@london75 thanks. That has made me feel much happier about going in August. I still can't get the price I was hoping for YC but I'm seeing prices I like better for other resorts. It's just I really did have my heart set on the boardwalk area. I love having something to be able to walk to instead of using transportation. But I may have to look elsewhere. At least we'll still be in WDW. I'm sold on August now. :thanks:

Progress. Sort of. With WDTC. We can get 14 nights in August at YC in room category we can afford but we can't stay into September like we wanted. For some reason the 31st August is not available on the system. Neither were the days before a couple of days ago but they are now. I've phoned and they can't tell me anything. Don't know whether to go for it or wait to see if 31st August gets released. Unless it's really unavailable of course. But why would that be.

Like 2008, 4 times within the year :)
Many reasons, I feel Disney are being too greedy (I know they are a business to make profit but I feel they have gone too far) Last trip we saw bins overflowing, building work everywhere just spoilt the Magic for me. Plus we have had some amazing trips to the Deep South, found the love of cruising and wanting to spend more time with my Brother (he lives his life split between Turkey & Tenerife) just so much we want to do away from Florida. I am sure we will be back but not for now.

Agree with you on Disney Wayne, last time we went there in 2014 it was all crazy busy crowds and construction, including Downtown Disney. On a plus side it's made us want to do more off the beaten track stuff such as the airboats.

Anyway, hope all is well Wayne, I have been away from these boards for a long time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter