Gosh Darn NWA!

scoutsmom99

<b><font color=f95602>Member of the 'Jambo! WildBu
I'm so bummed I was checking airfare prices for my Sept/Oct trip to WDW and that darn NWA's earliest non-stop flight out of Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) has changed to 8:55am (arrival at MCO 1:10pm)! I hope they change thier minds and bring back the 7:25am flight (#586) which got into Orlando usually around 11:30am. I used to take 586 to FL all the time...I sure hope it is just some glitch! On a happier note though I found round trip tickets for $226.90 (taking the 8:55am flight!) now Disney just needs to release those AP discounts!

Given that september is one of Orlando's slowest months, and NW has been very agressive about limiting capacity to keep fares up, it doesn't surprise me that NW is cutting back flights. I would assume, based on their choice of what to cut, that the 7:25 flight was less popular than the 8:25.

I just heard on the radio this morning that NWA is going to be making some layoffs and their mechanics may be going on strike; they have begun advertising for new mechanics in anticipation of the strike - maybe that has something to do with the limited flights?? Hopefully they will add the earlier flight for you.

We usually fly NWA out of DTW and when we purchased our tickets for June I was able to get a return flight departing MCO at 6:54pm. I thought it was odd because I have never seen this flight time before; we usually depart at 5:20pm. Maybe they are testing new flight schedules... I would keep checking to see if they add new flights.

I fly NWA DTW-SEA monthly. The sunday night out is reliable: always between 7 and 7:30, arriving between 9 and 9:30. The Friday afternoon is different every month: 12:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:00, 2:00, ... with many more flights in the summer than the winter.

I would expect this has little or nothing to do with the mechanics; it sounds like typical seasonal variance to me.

Yhea, NWA has been changing flight times. I think they have begun fazing out the DC-9 aircraft and making a smaller fleet. The Flint to Orlando nonstop has allways been serviced with a DC-9, but is now serviced with an A319.

Brian Noble said:
Given that september is one of Orlando's slowest months, and NW has been very agressive about limiting capacity to keep fares up, it doesn't surprise me that NW is cutting back flights. I would assume, based on their choice of what to cut, that the 7:25 flight was less popular than the 8:25.

Actually out of MSP the next closest non-stop trip to MCO after the old 7:25am flight was not until 10:15am. So I think they must be replacing or testing out the 8:55am flight. I have traveled many times on the 7:25am flight and it was always full. I guess I will be keeping a closer eye on flights than I have been. I was not expecting to see promo fares until mid to late July for my trip dates.

I just booked flights PIT/MSP on NWA this morning for work, June 8 to 10. What gets me about them is they hold so many seats for their preferred frequent fliers. Both flights have about 25 empty seats on the chart but they are all blocked so I don't have a seat assignment either way. My ticket was $380, for that much I should be able to pick a seat.

scoutsmom - they did it to me for my Oct26-nov2 trip. I WAS on the 7am flight and they completely took it out of the schedule and I am on the 855 now.

I am with you...I loved 586 and that flight was ALWAYS full - even in first class - every time I have flown it.

I know I will be watching like a hawk for it to come back and hope to switch back if it does.

What gets me about them is they hold so many seats for their preferred frequent fliers.
This preferred frequent flyer thinks it is great. :cool1:

More seriously, use on-line check in as close to your 24 hour mark as you can---all of those seats are freed up for general assignment then, and unless you are on a popular business route (for example, the DTW/SEA route on which I almost never snag an upgrade!) there will be plenty of them to pick from. Possibly an exit row seat, if you qualify. Those are hard even for elite fliers to obtain in advance, because the "normal" seat selection tool at nwa.com won't assign them, but the "view/change itinerary" tool will---and many folks don't realize that.

The reason to move the time later to 9 from 7 might be to catch both first- and second-wave connecting flyers with a single plane.

zulaya said:
scoutsmom - they did it to me for my Oct26-nov2 trip. I WAS on the 7am flight and they completely took it out of the schedule and I am on the 855 now.

I am with you...I loved 586 and that flight was ALWAYS full - even in first class - every time I have flown it.

I know I will be watching like a hawk for it to come back and hope to switch back if it does.

we will have to let each other know if the 7am flights come back! I used to be going to the parks by 1:15pm now I will just be landing at 1:15pm it is kinda a bummer!

I can fly out of Milwaukee on NWA, but the cheapest is $245. I would like to see it lower for January 3, 2006.

HI,

I just saw same $196. fares of MSP/MCo in late Aug. Maye your fares went down.

herc.

hercamore said:
HI,

I just saw same $196. fares of MSP/MCo in late Aug. Maye your fares went down.

herc.

Thanks for the heads up! I just checked they are still at 226.90 (which is a great deal). I just need to firm up my dates so hopefully that promo fare goes for a few more days :)

Brian Noble said:
This preferred frequent flyer thinks it is great. :cool1:

More seriously, use on-line check in as close to your 24 hour mark as you can---all of those seats are freed up for general assignment then, and unless you are on a popular business route (for example, the DTW/SEA route on which I almost never snag an upgrade!) there will be plenty of them to pick from. Possibly an exit row seat, if you qualify. Those are hard even for elite fliers to obtain in advance, because the "normal" seat selection tool at nwa.com won't assign them, but the "view/change itinerary" tool will---and many folks don't realize that.

The reason to move the time later to 9 from 7 might be to catch both first- and second-wave connecting flyers with a single plane.

I tried that the last time. For some reason, they are holding all the seats in front of the exit row as preferred and also the last 2 rows in the back. They did open up the preferred seats in the back, but not in the front. So I ended up in the second to last row. :rolleyes:

Check Sun Country. We leave at 8:15 am, non-stop flight. The rates are $161/RT right now and no talk of a potential mechanics strike. HHH terminal is so much easier to fly out of too.

DebbieB: that's very strange. My experience has always been that all seats open at the 24 hour mark.

golfgal said:
Check Sun Country. We leave at 8:15 am, non-stop flight. The rates are $161/RT right now and no talk of a potential mechanics strike. HHH terminal is so much easier to fly out of too.

You must be flying before June 6th.......If you get Sun Country early enough, you can get them around 205rt, which is a fair price.

We fly June 14th and we leave at 615am! I LOVE IT! We will be at MCO by 1015am.

My vote is for Sun Country too.... and they now offer advanced seat assignment on their web site!

Duds

dudspizza said:
We fly June 14th and we leave at 615am! I LOVE IT! We will be at MCO by 1015am.Duds

WOW I might have to check that out. I would love to get there that early! I have used Sun country in the past, but latley I have been finding good rates for my trips through Northwest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter