Gluten Free Groceries?

pharmama

DIS Veteran
Anyone have suggestions or recommendations for a good option between Honolulu and Aulani for gluten free grocery items? We plan to bring some items but would love to know where we can pick up others that won't pack well (like, say GF toaster waffles). Our local Target has decent GF options but I've been to Targets elsewhere that didn't have any of the stuff ours does so I don't want to count on that (unless someone else can confirm they do have decent GF items there).

and if you do a search function on this thread there are a few different discussions about it

There is a store right by Target called Down to Earth that sells a lot of organic and vegan items (I had to go there to get our Earth Balance spread when Target didn't sell it, but they do now). They are pricey, but may have some things you're looking for. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from Ko Olina, and on the way from the airport.

We found the target had a very good selection of GF items, things we can’t even get at home. We are looking forward to visiting the Target again to get some of our found favorites!

We had great success finding everything we needed at Down to Earth, right near Target and Costco! (Plus a bunch of other groceries from Costco.) We even scored Enjoy Life Hallowe'en chocolates there, which was a nice treat since we were there during Halloween time last year.

Thanks everyone! We will hit Costco and Target as planned and fill in anything else we need at Down to Earth. I just noticed there's a couple of Whole Foods in Honolulu too so I think we'll be set.

Thanks everyone! We will hit Costco and Target as planned and fill in anything else we need at Down to Earth. I just noticed there's a couple of Whole Foods in Honolulu too so I think we'll be set.
We stopped into the WF near Ala Moana and found their prices really, really high. While I understand prices are higher on the island, we found Costco and Target very similar to what we pay at home, not a big noticeable difference. I did see that at WF when we went, over what we normally purchase at home.

We stopped into the WF near Ala Moana and found their prices really, really high. While I understand prices are higher on the island, we found Costco and Target very similar to what we pay at home, not a big noticeable difference. I did see that at WF when we went, over what we normally purchase at home.

Interesting. WF would probably our last resort back up anyway since its farther away. We will be in Waikiki our first night but not planning to get groceries until the afternoon of the next day when we're already en route to Aulani. Curious if the pricing discrepancies will have changed any with their new ownership too. We've seen pricing overall come down some at our local WF but we're not regular shoppers there... still seems to live up to the "Whole Paycheck" nickname. :rotfl2:

Whole Foods and Down to Earth are competitively priced with each other, but are more expensive that both Costco and Target. I wouldn't make a special trip to either the Kahala or Ward whole foods. I live a few blocks from the Kahala Whole Foods and shop there somewhat regularly. Since the Amazon buy out, a few items have dropped in price, but not by much.

Interesting. WF would probably our last resort back up anyway since its farther away. We will be in Waikiki our first night but not planning to get groceries until the afternoon of the next day when we're already en route to Aulani. Curious if the pricing discrepancies will have changed any with their new ownership too. We've seen pricing overall come down some at our local WF but we're not regular shoppers there... still seems to live up to the "Whole Paycheck" nickname. :rotfl2:
We were just there in June, but it’s possible that some prices have fallen. I was glad that we didn’t purchase anything once I saw the selection at Target. My kids are very basic, gf waffles, chicken nuggets, granola and pancake mix...so were able to find everything we needed, at much cheaper prices than whole paychecks

We just hit the big Super Wal-Mart on the way there. It's well past Honolulu and Pearl City. Had a good number of options for GF. Plus my wife did a lot of fresh produce and omelets.

BTW, the Monkey Pod across the road had some GF items on the menu. And as always, the Disney owned restaurants had GF menu items.

We ended up just doing Safeway in Kapolei on our way in last night and were successful getting everything we needed for the GF family members. We have Safeway at home too and they had all the same GF items at Safeway here they do at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter