Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

Thank you for posting this!

I am bummed that Rancho steak tacos are not G-free. I am still muddling my way through the G-free lifestyle and figuring things out as I go.

Please don't hesitate to ask them about the steak tacos. I haven't had time to post about one of my G-free experiences, but the staff was more than happy to tell me what the problem ingredient was and leave it off. Normally it is a sauce of some kind. I would imagine that using plain steak and a corn tortilla would be fine. Ask about substitutions, we have almost always been offered a different type of sauce or side, etc. :thumbsup2

Wonderful list! And thank you for the reviews!! :up:

Anyone try the baked goods at Jolly Holiday yet? Or the bread/rolls from Fidler, Fifer (what ever it's called in DCA!)? I'm wondering about those.

Anyone find a GF corndog in the parks? That would be lovely!

Anyone know, or remember, seeing GF cucpcakes around the park? Maybe at the Pooh's goodie shop? We can do tigger tails and chocolates out there too, but dd loves cupcakes and we'd like to be able to enjoy them in the other areas too. I guess we're getting greedy. Sorry! I'm just happy there are GF options in the parks.

Older review: Dd tried the bun on the hot dog at Tomorrowland Terrace a few years ago and didn't like them. They were kinda' hard and tasteless. She's just bunless most of the time now. Thankfully she's not celiac, so she can take things "off the bun" w/o. trouble.

Thanks again!!pixiedust:

julieheyer said:
Wonderful list! And thank you for the reviews!! :up:

Anyone try the baked goods at Jolly Holiday yet? Or the bread/rolls from Fidler, Fifer (what ever it's called in DCA!)? I'm wondering about those.

Anyone find a GF corndog in the parks? That would be lovely!

Anyone know, or remember, seeing GF cucpcakes around the park? Maybe at the Pooh's goodie shop? We can do tigger tails and chocolates out there too, but dd loves cupcakes and we'd like to be able to enjoy them in the other areas too. I guess we're getting greedy. Sorry! I'm just happy there are GF options in the parks.

Older review: Dd tried the bun on the hot dog at Tomorrowland Terrace a few years ago and didn't like them. They were kinda' hard and tasteless. She's just bunless most of the time now. Thankfully she's not celiac, so she can take things "off the bun" w/o. trouble.

Thanks again!!pixiedust:

No problem, I hope this list is helpful! I will be back in the parks in November, so I can pick up another list and maybe there will be more options. So always ask, you never know when they might have something new!

I have tried the gluten free blueberry muffin from Jolly Holiday. My little sister was very excited to have a muffin! I thought the muffin was very good! It had lots of blueberries and a nice crumble topping. It did have a faint grittiness to it, but only very faint. I am sure it had a ton of sugar in it, but it is Disneyland!

Unfortunately, to my knowledge there are no gluten free corn dogs. :(. However, I am hopeful in the future they will! I haven't seen any gluten free cupcakes, either. Just the gluten free brownies and gluten free blueberry muffin. But things change all the time and so I would definitely ask when you arrive.

I haven't eaten at the Fiddler yet, just ordered Starbucks. :) I would love to hear any reviews!

If you haven't tried the gluten free breads in the last year or so, give them another go! They did change suppliers I believe a year ago and the gluten free is much better than it was! I remember about three years ago ( I think) when they first started carrying gluten free breads, they were like bricks! Now I like the gluten free bread much more. It has better texture and is fluffier.

Also, we have had good luck with the new gluten free pizza dough. Chefs at the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta were very kind and made us gluten free breadsticks out of the gluten free pizza dough! They sprinkled them with Parmesan and they were very good! I heard that they will also make pita out of the gluten free pizza dough if you are eating at the Paradise Grill next door. Of course, your experience may vary, and we tend to eat at off peak times, when the chefs may have more time to help.

But it does mean you should always ask and see what they can do. Have fun!

This is exactly what I needed. We are planning a trip next month and it is our first time since DD 11 has had the gluten intolerance. She is also a picky eater so I need sheets in hand. Urban Spoon worked gret on another trip but I don't think it will work at DLR.

This is exactly what I needed. We are planning a trip next month and it is our first time since DD 11 has had the gluten intolerance. She is also a picky eater so I need sheets in hand. Urban Spoon worked gret on another trip but I don't think it will work at DLR.

What a useful thread! Thank you!

I hope it helps you! I don't have an updated list right now and this one expired late November. So just be sure to double check once you are in the parks. Nothing should change drastically, but it is good to get the latest info. I hope to get an updated list my next trip at the end of this month. Please report back to this thread with your experiences! :goodvibes

Thank you so much for this! We will be going in Jan with n=my BFF that needs vegan and gluten free and this will help so much.

As others have said, thanks for the thread. DS (7) was diagnosed with celiac this past spring. We've found WDW restaurants to be FABULOUS at assisting with gluten-free diets and have had two trips (and a cruise) with no issues. (Knock on wood!). My parents were stunned on our trip in Oct how accommodating the restaurants were and that a chef came out each time to find out if just gluten sensitive or had celiac. Our first trip to DL is in a few months and we are trying to figure out where to get dining reservations. This is helpful. We don't know the restaurants at DL at all, so just trying to pick without dietary issues is confusing enough!

Question re Mickey Bars... I have had conflicting answers on whether they are GF. Initially we were told they were GF in WDW. Son at them with no problems. But on a Disney cruise, we were told they were not GF. Is it because they were possibly made by different manufacturers? Of course, those are my son's favorites. Luckily on the cruise there was all-you-can-eat soft serve ice cream to fill the void!

runmommyrun said:
As others have said, thanks for the thread. DS (7) was diagnosed with celiac this past spring. We've found WDW restaurants to be FABULOUS at assisting with gluten-free diets and have had two trips (and a cruise) with no issues. (Knock on wood!). My parents were stunned on our trip in Oct how accommodating the restaurants were and that a chef came out each time to find out if just gluten sensitive or had celiac. Our first trip to DL is in a few months and we are trying to figure out where to get dining reservations. This is helpful. We don't know the restaurants at DL at all, so just trying to pick without dietary issues is confusing enough!

Question re Mickey Bars... I have had conflicting answers on whether they are GF. Initially we were told they were GF in WDW. Son at them with no problems. But on a Disney cruise, we were told they were not GF. Is it because they were possibly made by different manufacturers? Of course, those are my son's favorites. Luckily on the cruise there was all-you-can-eat soft serve ice cream to fill the void!

I am glad this thread is helpful! It is my understanding that the Mickey bars are GF. They are on the GF list in the first post and my sister has eaten them without incident. However, I do see on the list that they are made in a facility that processes wheat. My sister is fine with that kind of exposure, but I know some are not. So I suppose it depends on what your son can handle. :)

Thank you very much for starting this thread and posting the list. My husband has celiac disease and we will soon be visiting Disneyland for the first time in a long time. He has always had good dining experiences at WDW and at Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

Ok, I have the new sheets from my NYE visit. Hope to scan and upload today or tomorrow!

Ok, I have the new sheets from my NYE visit. Hope to scan and upload today or tomorrow!

That would be great to have an up to date list. I would love to be able to plan ahead. If I can give my DD11 choices it will make the trip so much easier.

She is much better knowing where and what choices are available. Even as a small kid she couldn't make a decision on what to eat if she was over hungry or tired.

I can imagine it gets hard to have such limited choices.

Thanks for the thread! I have eaten GF at WDW many times and know my options there, but will be venturing to DL for the first time the beginning of next month. It's great to be able to look at my options ahead of time and get an idea of what I will want.

Thank you posting the new info!! Very, very helpful!!

I think we will try Minnie's breakfast this trip as we have never been there before. We alway go to Rancho multiple times and my favorites (enchiladas) are still okay as they are GF!

Interesting that the frozen chocolate covered banana isn't listed as GF. Wonder if that is due to being made in a wheat processing factory?

The ABSOLUTE hardest thing to miss out on will be Churros. Those are my all time favorite Disneyland treat!!

We ate at BTRBBQ last week and shared a table with a family that one or two members had a gluten allergy and asked the server about gluten free options. The chef came out to the table to explain what was and wasn't gluten free and what accommodations they can make. I don't remember the specific but it seemed there was quite a bit the family could eat gluten free and they seemed very pleased with their options.

Thanks for posting this -my dd has Celiac but also a anaphliactic (sorry sp?) dairy allergy -so we will be doing only sit down resturants to be safe on our trip (yoikes!) . I would love to hear where the best kids meals are on a GF/DF diet, we are happy to do character meals, to a point -we are going to 5 days, but not every meal -that will be alot of our time, but maybe 3 times. We are spending a fourtune on food anyway, may as well see some characters out of it! Thanks -oh and anyplace to get a great almond milk Latte' in the park? Thanks.

Thanks for posting this -my dd has Celiac but also a anaphliactic (sorry sp?) dairy allergy -so we will be doing only sit down resturants to be safe on our trip (yoikes!) . I would love to hear where the best kids meals are on a GF/DF diet, we are happy to do character meals, to a point -we are going to 5 days, but not every meal -that will be alot of our time, but maybe 3 times. We are spending a fourtune on food anyway, may as well see some characters out of it! Thanks -oh and anyplace to get a great almond milk Latte' in the park? Thanks.

In your case, I would definitely make use of the Special Diets email I have in the very first post in the thread. They will be able to work out the best places for your daughter to eat.

That said, my sister's favorite sit down spots are all character meals. :rotfl2:
Her favorites are Ariel's for the princesses, Minnie and Friends breakfast, and Storyteller's. All three have worked with her allergy beautifully and she had more than enough food and choices.

Disneyland is a little behind the times when it comes to alternate milk. They do have some soy milk, but only at the Jolly Holiday in DL, the Starbucks in DCA, and each of the DLR hotel espresso stand/bar. I haven't seen any place with almond milk, but I haven't asked at the Haagen Dazs in Downtown Disney, which serves Peet's.

I hope you contact Disney and that they are able to help you out further. Have fun! :goodvibes

I will definatly be taking advantage of the allergy line -I so wish I could take my oldest (she has Autism) on planes -we would be going to WDW instead, but she will not-so we drive everywhere and it is already a LONG drive from were we are in Canada to DL LOL. My Hubby does think of driving every so often to WDW! They would be able to feed us so much better I hear.

I am glad this thread is helpful! It is my understanding that the Mickey bars are GF. They are on the GF list in the first post and my sister has eaten them without incident. However, I do see on the list that they are made in a facility that processes wheat. My sister is fine with that kind of exposure, but I know some are not. So I suppose it depends on what your son can handle. :)

If the bars are made in a plant that processes wheat it means that they are "low gluten" and not safe for Celiacs -but can be eaten by people just avoiding gluten for other reasons (this from my dd's Pediatric Celiac Nutritionist). Even without stomach complaint from a Celiac it is still causing damage -OK off my soap box now :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter