Gift idea for someone who has everything?

This is me. Suggestions would be: chocolate, champagne, 'coupon' for a lunch date, donation to any charity, and that's about it. Don't get me anything that I have to dust or wear.

ps after reading some responses, really anything 'edible' as it gets used and I don't have to keep it!

Or bring something small like a flowering plant or bulb that will bloom. I can't emphasize enough that people who 'have everything' don't want more stuff. Just visit and bring a token gift :wizard:

Does she have woods by her house? Anything bird related like a hummingbird feeder or other feeder and some seed is fun. I have a friend who is an amazing baker and I would prefer something she made herself to anything she might buy.

It doesn't have to be about the price range or what kind of object it is.

Last edited:
I've mentioned some of these in previous, similar threads.

Gift cards/certificates for hair dresser/barber that the person uses.

Makeup/lotions/razors etc in their favored brands. Some people have allergies to scents/ingredients.

Coffee/Tea etc (btw, coffee will be going up after the 1st of the year according to the commodity folks)

Grocery gc's (would the person like to shop at a local grocery or organic style store/chain, but it is too expensive for them to justify? or Costco will allow someone to shop with a gc without having a membership. They DO have to stop at Customer Service first for a temporary/explanation for the overide, but it is popular around here.)

Restaurant gc's

For the last 2, if the person doesn't like to go out or drive, offer to drive them or pick up what they want.

Example: Panera Bread/Bob Evans are fav's of a relative, but they do not want a stranger to come to their home. They have found that they can pick up an order without much contact, at a special cashier / shelf inside and really like this as a treat. These places are ones that they are mentioning that they would really appreciate gc's for Christmas, because they can't justify the expense more than once a month. They are very worried about Covid 19, but miss their restaurants. They also want the independence to pick up on a whim.

In the same vein, I have many older relatives and for years have purchased "useable" gifts per their preference. Yankee Candles, expensive razors(to them) with refills, face moisturizer, favorite brand name cigarettes (not for me to judge), peppermints (loves peppermints and trying new chocolate covered ones, I pick up different ones all year, they have a few favs and I give more of those at Christmas and birthday), favored teas, k cups etc.
Once, when another one had been ill, they mentioned that they were out of tissues. I went to my car and gave them my almost full box of ultra soft kleenex. They were so grateful because not only did I give it to them then, but they were the "special ones". After that, I would include a box or 3 with their "gifts". I've been made fun of, but that relative told me that it was her favorite gift of all, "please don't stop".

Look around to see if they are buying generic or if they always liked a certain brand of something, but are no longer buying it. Little economies.

Even my "now adult" nieces/nephews enjoy "usable gifts". Now that they are paying for apartments/homes, they enjoy a "goodie bag" with favorite cereal, beverages, candy, bodywash, shampoo etc. I've asked if they would prefer one gift, but they have all told me that they want the "goodies", lol.

HTH

I am that impossible-to-get-a-gift-for person. The only suggestion on this thread that would be okay for me is the charitable donation.

OP, you are not required to get a gift for anyone. And people who don't want gifts actually don't want them. We're not just saying it and I personally would much prefer no gift to something I don't want or need. At that point the "gift" becomes a burden.

Most of the ideas have been mentioned,

Basket with tea bags, hot chocolate, mug, bottle of wine (if she drinks), stamps/note pad, envelopes, pencils, etc.
Nice scarf, gloves
Breakfast or lunch date
Plant or flowers
Candle
Take her for a pedicure/manicure
Books/magazines/Find a word/coloring books/crayons (depending on age)
Scratch off/lottery tickets

Most of the ideas have been mentioned,

Basket with tea bags, hot chocolate, mug, bottle of wine (if she drinks), stamps/note pad, envelopes, pencils, etc.
Nice scarf, gloves
Breakfast or lunch date
Plant or flowers
Candle
Take her for a pedicure/manicure
Books/magazines/Find a word/coloring books/crayons (depending on age)
Scratch off/lottery tickets
Be careful, OP. The only thing on this list I could possibly enjoy is the lunch date and then only if it were to somewhere I like eating and with someone I want to spend time with.

Warning: Do NOT buy a gift for a picky person who doesn't want gifts!!!!

Be careful, OP. The only thing on this list I could possibly enjoy is the lunch date and then only if it were to somewhere I like eating and with someone I want to spend time with.

Warning: Do NOT buy a gift for a picky person who doesn't want gifts!!!!

I would hope the lunch is with the person giving and receiving gift. Of course, it goes without saying that the person receiving gift gets to choose restaurant.

What one person does not like, the other might love. The only way around this is to ask that person you are buying for what they like. If one does not know them well enough, perhaps a gift is necessary. One might also ask others in that person's life what they might like ().

Perfect person looking for perfect gift? Does it exist?

I am also one of those people that I wish people would not buying me a gift. Don't need or want anything. It becomes a chore - sad to say.
But I understand when we want to give a small token/thought to another person for whatever reason.

I don't think this one has been mentioned:

a portable charger for their cell phone.

I have found that if someone doesn't go to Disney or conventions, they might not know that these things exist.

If they travel and they never heard of it -- it's a mind-blowing gift because they don't realize that they don't have to worry about trying to find an electrical outlet in the airport in order to make sure their phone stays charged.

If they don't travel, it's good to have around the house in case the power goes out. When we are expecting bad weather, I always make sure mine is charged up.

You can tell them that if they already have one, they should re-gift it to someone who might need it. Even if they have one, they probably know someone who doesn't.

Walmart and Target have the Anker PowerCore 5000 (looks like a lipstick) for about $18. You can get one that has more mAh so that it would power a phone more times, but this one is lighter weight than others.

Something food related like high end chocolates or jams or wine/liquor

more of what she already has. Like if she wears pandora bracelets buy her a charm. If she wears scarves get her one she might like at a store she might shop in. If she has a Christmas tree can get one mid-range ornament or a few less expensive ones

a pampering experience like manicure, pedicure, massage

an offbeat experience like axe throwing, cooking course, escape room

Something nostalgic like create a photo album or give her a voucher from a place that archives/digitizes photos

if she goes to Disney you can always get her a magic band or packaged food or something of the like that’s easy to use and doesn’t take a lot of space
Gift her a charity donation. Many children in the world have nothing

Last edited:
So, the title of this thread made me think of this song:

I think the gift of time (yours) and company might be a good idea :D

I am that impossible-to-get-a-gift-for person. The only suggestion on this thread that would be okay for me is the charitable donation.

OP, you are not required to get a gift for anyone. And people who don't want gifts actually don't want them. We're not just saying it and I personally would much prefer no gift to something I don't want or need. At that point the "gift" becomes a burden.
The only thing I disagree with is that the gift is a burden. Accept it graciously and once that is over you can do whatever you want with it. And that is what I consider when I gift someone anything, or donate anything. It could end up in the trash pile in either case!

People who say 'no gifts' mean it. (Usually. I once went to a 50th birthday 'no gifts' party and I think I was the only one who didn't bring a gift. I did feel awkward for about 3 minutes.)

That being said, I think it is very nice if someone gives me a thoughtful card, or if you must, a token gift. And I really mean a token: $5 or less, or something you want to regift that you think I'd like. I literally do not care about monetary value of the gift. Although if I had a billionaire friend and they wanted to give me a wad of cash I would graciously accept.

Among the most loved and enjoyed gifts i've ever received... wine stoppers (initial, themed, jewel, etc), easy to use wine opener, nice wine pouring decanter (the kind that goes on the bottle as the wine pours). simple but practical gifts that remind me of the persons who took the time to find something special for me every time i use them.

Respectfully, receiving flowers is just a burden.
Although I love looking at flowers, every time i receive them just brings on the anxiety of having to water them, change the water, clean up when they die and store another vase. if the flowers don't come in a vase then i dread having to go look for a vase, cut stems, arrange, throw out cuttings and clean up mess AND then maintenance mentioned above. it's just a lot of work for a couple days (if you are lucky) of pretty flowers. I'll pass. Please spend the the money on something long lasting and low maintenance. Or give a gift card wrapped in a note (if YOU feel guilty about just giving a gift card then hand write or craft up the packaging with stickers, glue, whatever).

One year I got my mom a nice box of assorted greeting cards for a variety of occasions, a book of forever stamps, a roll of address labels, and a nice pen to use writing the cards. She loved it.

A friend of mine moved to another state so I made her a basket of local tasty treats I knew she missed.

Some other items I've given that were popular: a DoorDash gift card during the lockdown, a dried flower arrangement, a photo calendar with important birthdays and anniversaries marked (my father requested it every year), gourmet infused oil set (I knew the recipient would love it), a museum membership, and a gift certificate to a local cooking shop that offered classes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter