Ghibli museum

Haley R

DIS Veteran
Idk if this will affect anyone else but we found out the ghibli museum will be closed May 21-31. I’m very upset because this was on the top of our list of things to do. We have like one day that we could go but that doesn’t leave a lot of options to get tickets

Sorry about the closure! It is disappointing. I am looking forward to visiting the Museum too. I am a big Totoro fan! I will be visiting in July on a weekday (not a Tuesday), and am planning to buy the tickets from a JTB Group whose office is a 10-min drive away. I don’t think I can handle the stress after my TDR Hotel booking experience.

Think positive! This means you have an excuse to visit Japan again! Next time I go, I will fly to Jeju for the black pork!! My excuse to go to Korea and Japan again. :teeth:

Sorry about the closure! It is disappointing. I am looking forward to visiting the Museum too. I am a big Totoro fan! I will be visiting in July on a weekday (not a Tuesday), and am planning to buy the tickets from a JTB Group whose office is a 10-min drive away. I don’t think I can handle the stress after my TDR Hotel booking experience.

Think positive! This means you have an excuse to visit Japan again! Next time I go, I will fly to Jeju for the black pork!! My excuse to go to Korea and Japan again. :teeth:
That’s who we were going to get them from too because we planned to get our rail passes with the ghibli tickets. I’m still going to contact them in late February to see if we can get our June date and if not I might contact my Airbnb host and see if she could get us tickets

Sorry to learn about the news! Thank goodness JTB Canada is still offering the ticket only purchase option as I am not planning to get the JR Pass!!

Just FYI - JTB has stopped selling individual Ghibli Museum tickets as of January 2019. The only way to get them now from JTB is via a package. I found out the hard way as I was all set to get our tickets for April on Jan 1.
https://www.jtbusa.com/Services/GhibliMuseum.aspx

I read two tripadvisor reviews about getting tickets from Japan Awaits which delivers tickets to your hotel. Hope this helps! Another option will be joining Viator tours that include a visit to the museum.

https://www.japanawaits.com/experiences/studio-ghibli-museum/

1016BD24-62C1-4A3D-895B-C2F57184930E.jpeg

Last edited:

I read two tripadvisor reviews about getting tickets from Japan Awaits which delivers tickets to your hotel. Hope this helps! Another option will be joining Viator tours that include a visit to the museum.

https://www.japanawaits.com/experiences/studio-ghibli-museum/

View attachment 378048
This could’ve worked for us but we are staying at an Airbnb and couldn’t have it delivered to us. Not unless we want to pay $75 per ticket. Even their hotel delivery is $39 which seems pricey

This could’ve worked for us but we are staying at an Airbnb and couldn’t have it delivered to us. Not unless we want to pay $75 per ticket. Even their hotel delivery is $39 which seems pricey

I would say this is the last resort if someone really wants to visit the museum so badly. If I can’t get the tickets from JTB, I will use it as an excuse to go to Japan again. Hopefully I get lucky the second time. I may not pay a high price for it.

Sorry you are having such a difficult time with this. The Ghibli museum was the one thing my daughter wanted to do most in Japan and she loved it. I hope it works out for you.

I tried Viator. They took my money for my reservation and then...cancelled it and refunded my money. I don't remember if they were sold out or whatever. Anyway, we ended up booking a package with JTB which was confirmed. We've been to the Ghibli Museum before, we just REALLY loved it and wanted to visit again on this trip, so it seems all good.

I tried Viator. They took my money for my reservation and then...cancelled it and refunded my money. I don't remember if they were sold out or whatever. Anyway, we ended up booking a package with JTB which was confirmed. We've been to the Ghibli Museum before, we just REALLY loved it and wanted to visit again on this trip, so it seems all good.
Oh wow that stinks. Thanks for your experience! We can still try for June 1 but not until February.

I was skeptical about the wording “pre-order request”. I guess it’s just a request. If Viator is not able to get the tickets for the requested date and time, they would have to cancel the order and refund the money. I don’t understand why Japan is making it so difficult for foreign tourists: the Ghibli Museum, the Michelin Starred restaurants and even Tokyo Disney Hotel/Dining. I have never planned a trip with such stress level such as booking Tokyo Disney hotels, onsen ryokans, Pokemon Cafe, etc. etc. And I have been to a few countries in Europe and US, China, Korea and Hong Kong. I can feel your pain and I am glad that you are able to find something that works for you.

I was skeptical about the wording “pre-order request”. I guess it’s just a request. If Viator is not able to get the tickets for the requested date and time, they would have to cancel the order and refund the money. I don’t understand why Japan is making it so difficult for foreign tourists: the Ghibli Museum, the Michelin Starred restaurants and even Tokyo Disney Hotel/Dining. I have never planned a trip with such stress level such as booking Tokyo Disney hotels, onsen ryokans, Pokemon Cafe, etc. etc. And I have been to a few countries in Europe and US, China, Korea and Hong Kong. I can feel your pain and I am glad that you are able to find something that works for you.
I think it’s because most of their tourism is from people who actually live in Japan. That’s just my guess I could be wrong

I think it’s because most of their tourism is from people who actually live in Japan. That’s just my guess I could be wrong
::yes::

There are a few other reasons as well, but that’s way OT for a fun Disney message board. Suffice it to say that the experience described is exactly the experience they want foreign tourists to have in those situations.

::yes::

There are a few other reasons as well, but that’s way OT for a fun Disney message board. Suffice it to say that the experience described is exactly the experience they want foreign tourists to have in those situations.
I’m hoping we are able to get them through JTB and if not oh well I guess. We already talked about probably going back when the new lands open at tdr

I’m thinking it’s a good sign for us getting ghibli tickets. They responded today and took our credit card info. They said we should hear back March 4. I’m really hoping we get our first choice in dates

I’m thinking it’s a good sign for us getting ghibli tickets. They responded today and took our credit card info. They said we should hear back March 4. I’m really hoping we get our first choice in dates
Sending pixie dust your way!
pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!