You know your luggage tags will come with your cabin # it . Maybe that is when you can slip that paper in the envelope.

Im sure the luggage people can’t go give the paper to the desk. They would have to through security and they are a third party person that only handle luggage.

What if your kids start talking about their luck and no one knows what they are talking about. Is your wife in on this doesn’t sound like it.

I would go with modified Plan A. I haven’t left from Port Canaveral in the past few years, but I am guessing there is still someone looking at reservations before letting people near the terminal. If this person, or the baggage handler, mentions anything about concierge, you can act surprised and say “I will go check on that when we get inside.” If they don’t say anything, there will be a Disney Cruise person in the terminal directing people, and you can show your reservation, ask where to go, be directed to the Concierge desk, and be surprised. Either way, you will “need” to hurry ahead of your wife and kids to figure out what’s going on. You can then quickly explain the cast member at the Concierge desk about the certificate. You could even write out a statement about what you want, put it on top of the certificate, and quickly hand it over.

To avoid people being confused as NAB mentions, be sure to tell your kids that they need to keep the “prize” to themselves so other people don’t feel sad that they didn’t get one. It wouldn’t hurt to explain what’s happening to the Concierge hosts, who are likely to play along if they can.

We just sailed concierge in October and you won't even be able to get into the terminal without showing your documentation clearly showing you are concierge guests. It's also fairly chaotic in the terminal with CM's helping multiple guests, managing lines, etc. Might I suggest you send this certificate to your children prior to your cruise so you don't have to try to make this happen day-of and, possibly, be disappointed if a CM isn't able to pull this off for you with little to no notice?

Plan B won't work - there is no way anyone handling luggage will be able to go into the terminal and set this up for you.

Plan A might work - you would probably need to distract your wife and kids with something else (perhaps look at the model ship in the terminal, while you excuse yourself to use the restroom perhaps?) But then the difficulty is going to be finding a CM that can help you with the certificate. Again, the terminal is pretty chaotic and I wouldn't be so confident a CM is going to be able to pull this off for you the way you want them to. Another option might be to wait until you board and see if a CM in the atrium could hand the certificate to your kids before you have lunch in 1923.

Personally, I would keep control of the process and send the certificate, perhaps FedEx, to your kids a few days before the trip. Maybe include a few items they could use on the cruise as well. That way, you don't need to stress on the day of embarkation, hoping someone in the terminal will help you.

Personally, I would keep control of the process and send the certificate, perhaps FedEx, to your kids a few days before the trip.
This sounds best. If it were me, I'd just be upfront about it and basically tell the kids when we enter the terminal that we're going Concierge (if I could keep it a secret that long).

To anyone who can help me:

I hope today is the best day of your week so far. I have not been on a Disney Cruise before, but I am planning on going in January 2024.

Aside from my daughter and I having weak stomachs, and my kids being picky eaters, this seems like a great idea, but I have a really Good- Dumb Idea with which I need help. My Kids(8yo boy and 6yo girl) think they are inherently unlucky to their core. Despite being really lucky with board games, being healthy, and having great lives... they think they are really truly unlucky.

So: I am going to show them videos of the ship and videos touring of the smallest stateroom I can find for several months building up to the cruise reiterating that they can't bring much since we will be in a small space. Then I am going to make an over-the-top gold embossed certificate with the concierge logo stamped on it announcing it is their lucky day and they have won the VIP treatment with a concierge 1-bedroom stateroom with their names listed as the winner. It would be most believable if someone at the check-in desk for concierge handed it to them and congratulated them as opposed to me simply handing them the certificate . . .

Plan A: I drop off my wife and kids at the terminal and our luggage, then park the car, run back, and tell them we were told to go to concierge, hand them our reservation and the certificate to whoever is at the counter and ask them to hand it to my kids.
Plan B: drop off my wife and kids and drop off the luggage and slip a $20 to someone in the luggage area to take the fake certificate i made to the concierge desk. park the car. run back, then say to my wife... I was told to go to concierge.. then the kids get the certificate etc.
Plan C: I've never been through the check-in/embarkation process- don't know the layout of the cruise terminal- have no idea what I'm talking about- I'm open to ideas/information to let me know if this is feasible...

Best Regards,
Overplanning and Excited Nerdy Dad- Chuck
You really shouldn't lie to your children, even about this, for trust reasons. You could thrill them by showing them the different stateroom types pre-cruise and not telling them which they will get, just letting them hope and then be thrilled upon arrival.

To anyone who can help me:

I hope today is the best day of your week so far. I have not been on a Disney Cruise before, but I am planning on going in January 2024.

Aside from my daughter and I having weak stomachs, and my kids being picky eaters, this seems like a great idea, but I have a really Good- Dumb Idea with which I need help. My Kids(8yo boy and 6yo girl) think they are inherently unlucky to their core. Despite being really lucky with board games, being healthy, and having great lives... they think they are really truly unlucky.

So: I am going to show them videos of the ship and videos touring of the smallest stateroom I can find for several months building up to the cruise reiterating that they can't bring much since we will be in a small space. Then I am going to make an over-the-top gold embossed certificate with the concierge logo stamped on it announcing it is their lucky day and they have won the VIP treatment with a concierge 1-bedroom stateroom with their names listed as the winner. It would be most believable if someone at the check-in desk for concierge handed it to them and congratulated them as opposed to me simply handing them the certificate . . .

Plan A: I drop off my wife and kids at the terminal and our luggage, then park the car, run back, and tell them we were told to go to concierge, hand them our reservation and the certificate to whoever is at the counter and ask them to hand it to my kids.
Plan B: drop off my wife and kids and drop off the luggage and slip a $20 to someone in the luggage area to take the fake certificate i made to the concierge desk. park the car. run back, then say to my wife... I was told to go to concierge.. then the kids get the certificate etc.
Plan C: I've never been through the check-in/embarkation process- don't know the layout of the cruise terminal- have no idea what I'm talking about- I'm open to ideas/information to let me know if this is feasible...

Best Regards,
Overplanning and Excited Nerdy Dad- Chuck
Your kids are only eight and six. I’m not sure how much exposure they’ve had to cruising and what that entails or if they even have access to the Internet themselves. I highly doubt they actually know the true meaning of what concierge means. I think the wow affect you’re looking for is that they walk into the state room and they see how much bigger and nicer it is. Kids at that age get excited about things that parents feed to them. Maybe go online and look for some images of ugly bunkbed type state rooms doesn’t even have to be Disney and just show them that’s where were sleeping. Then they will definitely have the wall affect walking into a concierge one bedroom.

Reactions: NAB
Why not make all things about the future cruise be positive to build their excitement rather than building on a lie. Have them join in and be happy, excited and proud to be helpful.

Last edited:
You know your luggage tags will come with your cabin # it . Maybe that is when you can slip that paper in the envelope.

Im sure the luggage people can’t go give the paper to the desk. They would have to through security and they are a third party person that only handle luggage.

What if your kids start talking about their luck and no one knows what they are talking about. Is your wife in on this doesn’t sound like it.
thank you, I ended up calling the port of Galveston and they essentially said the same thing. The employees who manage all of the luggage work for the port of Galveston, not Disney itself and i would need to talk to Shoreside Concierge...

Also, my wife will need to be in on it as well... she likes to plan ahead and doesn't care for surprises. also, I appreciate your feedback about the kids potentially talking about their luck and nobody understanding- I want to avoid them talking about it with people on the boat or at the oceaneer club who might get jealous and have it sour their time etc. so i will need to come up with some way to communicate they are winning a prize, but it isn't something people know about and they shouldn't brag etc. I don't want to sour anyone else's time.

We just sailed concierge in October and you won't even be able to get into the terminal without showing your documentation clearly showing you are concierge guests. It's also fairly chaotic in the terminal with CM's helping multiple guests, managing lines, etc. Might I suggest you send this certificate to your children prior to your cruise so you don't have to try to make this happen day-of and, possibly, be disappointed if a CM isn't able to pull this off for you with little to no notice?

Plan B won't work - there is no way anyone handling luggage will be able to go into the terminal and set this up for you.

Plan A might work - you would probably need to distract your wife and kids with something else (perhaps look at the model ship in the terminal, while you excuse yourself to use the restroom perhaps?) But then the difficulty is going to be finding a CM that can help you with the certificate. Again, the terminal is pretty chaotic and I wouldn't be so confident a CM is going to be able to pull this off for you the way you want them to. Another option might be to wait until you board and see if a CM in the atrium could hand the certificate to your kids before you have lunch in 1923.

Personally, I would keep control of the process and send the certificate, perhaps FedEx, to your kids a few days before the trip. Maybe include a few items they could use on the cruise as well. That way, you don't need to stress on the day of embarkation, hoping someone in the terminal will help you.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I spoke to someone this morning at DCL who gave me the number for the concierge desk in the Galveston port. He said plan A should be to fedex the letter to the kids and have them receive it the day before the cruise to mitigate any stress on the day of embarkation or trying to wing it in the terminal, but he thinks if I talk to shoreside concierge, then they would love to add some pixey dust to the trip/this moment, but that does not guarantee we will be the family of the day(something I had to have him explain to me...).

Thanks again!

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I spoke to someone this morning at DCL who gave me the number for the concierge desk in the Galveston port. He said plan A should be to fedex the letter to the kids and have them receive it the day before the cruise to mitigate any stress on the day of embarkation or trying to wing it in the terminal, but he thinks if I talk to shoreside concierge, then they would love to add some pixey dust to the trip/this moment, but that does not guarantee we will be the family of the day(something I had to have him explain to me...).

Thanks again!
Yes now that would be pretty cool for the kids. Special things the concierge could do for them .

Could you just show your kids how truly lucky they are to be cruising with their family on a beautiful vacation? It seems emphasizing gratitude will be more helpful to your children’s happiness than some false idea of luck.

Directing your energy into creating/preserving authentic memories will probably be more fulfilling for you too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter