Getting excited and keen to share my plans

Yay! Exciting, sure you will enjoy it :)
I have just completed our FPs.. MDE behaved and was able to get everything, incl 7DMT day 60, FOP 60+1, SDD 60+2. Have got 3 FPs for FOP and 2 for SDD so thinking about maybe dropping the TSL EMM.. was going to convert to HS DAH but not sure now.. I put the 2nd SDD at night as sposed to be much better.
Hmmm..

I’m pleased Franrose replied to your post as I somehow missed seeing it.

What a great result! Hopefully it’s a sign that your days will be low crowds.
None of those FPs were available initially for my 3 days, and while I’ve since found a FOP and 7DMT one, I’m still yet to see a SDD one available.

That’s a tough decision regarding the EMM. All I know is that if it was me, I wouldn’t be able to cancel it unless I had a preferable alternative I wanted to book instead. Going from something to nothing is too tough :laughing:

I’m pleased Franrose replied to your post as I somehow missed seeing it.

What a great result! Hopefully it’s a sign that your days will be low crowds.
None of those FPs were available initially for my 3 days, and while I’ve since found a FOP and 7DMT one, I’m still yet to see a SDD one available.

That’s a tough decision regarding the EMM. All I know is that if it was me, I wouldn’t be able to cancel it unless I had a preferable alternative I wanted to book instead. Going from something to nothing is too tough :laughing:

Yes, was thinking/hoping that..
Think I will keep it for now and wait till the 1st reports come in for HS DAH. If that sounds amazing then will switch to that but not if its going to be crowded.

It must be so exciting for you WanderlustNZ - your trip is so soon!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing about everything along the way!! I haven't been following discussion here so was surprised you think your DH might have issues on FOP - sounds really constricted?? Afraid I can't get excited about Toy Story land - was really underwhelmed with it in both France and HK though latter was slightly better I thought, and the rides to us seemed mostly no different to your average fairground rides here with a bit of Disney overlay BUT I know others love it.

Soon a trip in September 2020 will be in plan (to celebrate a far too old birthday!!) so I will then be back stalking the boards researching every bit of new detail I need. I had gathered getting a FOP FP is challenging and that is a must not miss item for me and one reason to visit (the other will be Star Wars Land will be open). We will only have a few days in WDW (I think) then fly? drive? train? up to Niagara Falls region and do the Montreal-Quebec circle as Quebec has long been on the bucket list for me.

Anyway have an amazing trip.

It must be so exciting for you WanderlustNZ - your trip is so soon!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing about everything along the way!! I haven't been following discussion here so was surprised you think your DH might have issues on FOP - sounds really constricted?? Afraid I can't get excited about Toy Story land - was really underwhelmed with it in both France and HK though latter was slightly better I thought, and the rides to us seemed mostly no different to your average fairground rides here with a bit of Disney overlay BUT I know others love it.

Soon a trip in September 2020 will be in plan (to celebrate a far too old birthday!!) so I will then be back stalking the boards researching every bit of new detail I need. I had gathered getting a FOP FP is challenging and that is a must not miss item for me and one reason to visit (the other will be Star Wars Land will be open). We will only have a few days in WDW (I think) then fly? drive? train? up to Niagara Falls region and do the Montreal-Quebec circle as Quebec has long been on the bucket list for me.

Anyway have an amazing trip.

Thanks Wendy. :goodvibes

Your 2020 trip sounds great. No doubt it will be amazingly planned like all your trips.

Star Wars Land looks great and if anything will get us back to Disney in the next 5+ years, it’ll be that. But to be honest (and as much as it pains me to say) I think this will be our last trip to WDW for the forseeable future. It’s just become so expensive and my bucket list so long, that it’s time to prioritise other options.
Plus we have decided to build again (after I swore I never would) to get a house with a separate annex for my mother in law. So it’ll be no travel whatsoever for a while after this trip.

I can see what you’re saying about Toy Story Land. The spinning alien thing looks just like the Mater Junkyard thing which was good, but not great. SDD intrigues me as the reviews suggest it is better than it looks. And as for TSMM, we love it and will happily read it over and over. Plus the Xmas decos and night time lights look pretty charming. Time will tell...

Lastly, it really is anyone’s guess with how we will go with FOP. It really does seem to favour thinner, shorter people with feet that aren’t too big.

Oh dear. I did something very impulsive and bought tickets to an EMM at Toy Story Land.
I missed the recent memo that they are now offering it on some select Friday’s and it’s only when I went into the WDW website to see if there had been any update to scheduled hours that I saw it there.
I pretty much booked it as soon as I saw it, which I’m feeling both excited and guilty about. Excited, because it means I no longer have to worry about trying to get a SDD Fastpass or needing to queue ages for rope drop, but guilty as there really are more pressing needs for my holiday money.

That last Disney day we now have EMM and the JBJB dessert party. Along with the regular day tickets and our lunch ADR at 50s Primetime, I balk to think what that day is costing us.

Oh well, you only live once right...

50s Primetime is lots of fun and the food is wholesome. On my last trip I was traveling solo and the cast members really made my experience special :)

And yes, you only live once and that life is too short to pass up some things like, you know, anything Disney :rotfl:

WanderlustNZ OMG I feel like you only just built! Can't you build a nifty cabin in your back yard for MIL? Will you stay in a similar part of town? As to Toy Story Land I have looked it up quickly and I see the difference - SDD in WDW is a totally new different ride to the Slinky's elsewhere. I think it's a pity parachute drop isn't in there though but yes the right spot for TSM.

I am at this point now - 2.5 weeks away. I feel like my brain has left the building. I decided the other day I really must get myself a little A5 notebook to start taking notes (typo had some super cute Disney ones!). I'm so smart, 9 months of planning and I decide to get a notebook three weeks out. :wave2: :rotfl:

The only thing I don't actually have booked is Kennedy Space Centre, it's not something I need to do (pre-book) but there is a slight discount online I think. Need to just make sure it would all work with the free coupon I have for one of my children (kids who are Grade 5 this year - ie, aged 10/11 - get free entry).

Franrose, how long now until you leave? It must be any day now?

Safe travels and have a wonderful trip.

2 weeks for us. We may bump into each other in Orlando and not even know it. :laughing:

I'm not sure how it happened @WanderlustNZ - it's tomorrow! We're coming via NZ too. :) I'm just taking a break from the last proper part of the packing, lol. Hoping beyond hope I'm not forgetting anything! :oops:

Hope you have an awesome trip too, and that all your hard work and planning means it falls beautifully into place! I'll wave out to any groups of three with Kiwi accents that I spot :D:wave2:

I'm not sure how it happened @WanderlustNZ - it's tomorrow! We're coming via NZ too. :) I'm just taking a break from the last proper part of the packing, lol. Hoping beyond hope I'm not forgetting anything! :oops:

Hope you have an awesome trip too, and that all your hard work and planning means it falls beautifully into place! I'll wave out to any groups of three with Kiwi accents that I spot :D:wave2:

Yay! How exciting!
Have a wonderful time.

Wondering how everyone's trips are going.. ?

Hi Kek1,

Sorry, I just saw your comment now as for some reason the DIS didn’t notify me of your post.

Our holiday was amazing, with Costa Rica and a couple of snorkelling experiences on the cruise being the biggest highlights.
It was all so wonderful, that admittedly it’s bit disappointing to be back and having to face work again. :worried:

I hope your trip is going wonderful.

Just finished..at Houston airport about to fly back to auckland.
Trip was pretty good, enjoyed the resorts but the parks were really packed, which dimenished things a bit. The after hours were good , in future might only do them.
Would love to see pics of yours if you have them :)

Just finished..at Houston airport about to fly back to auckland.
Trip was pretty good, enjoyed the resorts but the parks were really packed, which dimenished things a bit. The after hours were good , in future might only do them.
Would love to see pics of yours if you have them :)

What a shame that all good things must come to an end. Safe travels home.

For pics, I put two longish posts about Costa Rica into page 72 of this thread and added pics to both.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/other-options.3474662/page-72

For the cruise, I’ll message you a link to another website where I put up quite a few pics of our shore excursions.

And as for Disney and Universal, I’ll add a few pics below, mostly of the Xmas festivities and some of the Early morning at DHS.

We had a wonderful time in Orlando and while the crowds were heavy, some good planning and extra expenses (EMM, dessert party, staying onsite etc.) made things bearable. But, to be honest, I think that’s it for themepark vacations for us. During past Disney and Universal visits, my leaving impression was “Loved that, when can we go back?” This time it was more of a “That was fun, where to next?”
The next time we find ourselves in LA, we will probably want to see Star Wars Land, but otherwise, I think we’ve reached a point now where our priorities have changed. There is very little manmade that wows me as much as the magic that exists in nature. Plus there is just so much planning and expense needed to avoid crowds in Disney, and the cost of food etc has got so high, that Disney has robbed me of some of its magic purely from becoming a victim of its own success.

The world is such a beautiful place and there is so much left to see. If only I was in the position right now to book something else... :)

337DEB9B-9E2F-4F85-AFDD-7AE560042C30.jpegCCC47F1E-9AC5-4D45-A35F-046906FEDCCA.jpegC4A6CBEC-6E43-4712-8E85-376D4529A28B.jpeg50019441-3E8E-4895-918F-F257EE18ACF9.jpeg587239EA-236C-46FB-84B5-57882417E580.jpeg999EC2FC-BF50-4EBF-B453-20D0B11CD2D8.jpeg

Last edited:
P.S. Over half the pics I just tried to add failed due to being too large of a file size. Not sure if I can shrink them, but will have a look tomorrow.

Last edited:
A few random thoughts:

I was expecting to love Avatar FJ and like Slinky Dog. I ended up being the opposite. Loved Slinky Dog and thought Avatar was overrated.

We picked up a rare second fastpass for FJ and ended up swapping it out for another Everest - still my family’s favourite ride in all of Disney.

A severe storm passed through Orlando on our MK day and it turned into a crowd level 1 day. I have literally never seen a park that empty. But when I say severe, I mean severe. We were all wearing both a raincoat and a poncho and we were soaked to the bone. Many outside rides had to be shut down and we ended up with all these anytime fastpasses to make up for the missed rides. But there is only so many times you can be shaken around on Space Mountain.
Despite months of chasing down that elusive 7DMT fastpass, we never got to use it.
After eating lunch (soaking wet and uncomfortable), we decided to throw in the towel and head back to the resort. Unfortunately all buses, boats and the monorail had drawn to a hault due to flooding and ferocious winds, so the wait to get home was a long one. The day still had its pluses, and we enjoyed the resort hopping we decided to do in the afternoon instead, but it shows that even the best laid plans are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

We enjoyed EMM at Toy Story Land and thought it was worth every cent on that crowd level 8 day. The Jingle Bam Dessert party was also fun, but I don’t think it was as good value as the morning admission.

Wilderness Lodge is beautiful. Of the resorts I saw, it was easily my favourite as far as Xmas decorations go. In fact, I think it was my favourite full stop.

Table Service restaurants this trip included: Whispering Canyon, Trails End, Brown Derby (lunch), Jungle Skipper Canteen, Antojitos, Pat OBriens, Toothsomes, and Mythos. They ranged from good to great, with the greatest of them all being Antojitos. Gosh that restaurant is delicious.

Diagon Alley at Universal was as awesome as I’d hoped it would be. I loved being able to embrace my inner wizard. I also loved that Hot Topic clothing store had a special on, and before coming home, I was able to get both a Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff cardigan for just $10 each (Gryfdindor was sold out).

Last edited:
Was wondering how your trip went. Totally agree about Disney, even though I love it , we have been to Orlando twice and it's so much planning and expensive. Not saying I won't go back, but not likely anytime soon. I might just go to Disneyland , been there many times and really enjoy it, also like US, I know it's better in Florida , but again so far. Wouldn't mind doing another Disney cruise, but way too expensive, lol can u see a pattern here?
I have decided on Hawaii for Nov, did think about Alaunai for a couple of nights, but can't be bothered with the Dvc rental thing and my 20 & 18 said don't bother, don't think they are prepared to be swarmed by kids , anyhow I think they are doing renovations and knowing my luck the lazy river and adult would be closed .
We are off on a 4 night cruise tomorrow, looking toward to that.As you said lots of places in the world to visit. I will go check out your Costs Rico report.

Thanks for the report and pics!
Ha- I agree re FOP vs Everest! I think I read SO much about how great it was that I was expecting to be blown out of the water..and I wasnt. Still love Everest the most, and this trip we rode it at night which was SO fun! At HS I though TOT was better than SDD- altho slinky was better at night than during the day. I liked 7DMT (best ride in MK IMO) but its very short. Pandora as a land was very impressive, though.
Wow staying at WL at xmas would have been beautiful- we enjoyed it when we resort hopped.
Out of all the resorts we stayed at (AKL, OKW, GF, BWV) we by far preferred the GF- it was a bucket list resort for me , so elegant and loved being on the monorail as found the buses very annoying.
The price of food was completely ridiculous - we also thought the portion sizes were smaller than we expected (we shared every meal). In 2013 it was similar to perth prices, now its way more.
We definitely enjoyed staying on property- due to the crowds we couldnt cope with more than a few hours in the morning and evening, and escaping back to the resort was a must.
Food wise we did Boma which was good but soo $$$$$ that we cancelled our other TS. >$150 for 2 of us. CS I really liked Sa'tuli (in fact all bar 2 of our meals were good). We found the CMs at the resort to be really fantastic and super friendly, but the ones at the park were not great. I felt sorry for them having to deal with such HUGE numbers of people everyday.
We also loved Diagon Alley, and having the EP at universal was great and very relaxing. Theming wise, apart from Potter not upto disney IMO, the non screen rides were great (loved the Hulk, rode it 4x in a row) but way too many screens.
We wont be back anytime soon either. Not under 10 years, I suspect. As you say the world is a big place...

Was wondering how your trip went. Totally agree about Disney, even though I love it , we have been to Orlando twice and it's so much planning and expensive. Not saying I won't go back, but not likely anytime soon. I might just go to Disneyland , been there many times and really enjoy it, also like US, I know it's better in Florida , but again so far. Wouldn't mind doing another Disney cruise, but way too expensive, lol can u see a pattern here?
I have decided on Hawaii for Nov, did think about Alaunai for a couple of nights, but can't be bothered with the Dvc rental thing and my 20 & 18 said don't bother, don't think they are prepared to be swarmed by kids , anyhow I think they are doing renovations and knowing my luck the lazy river and adult would be closed .
We are off on a 4 night cruise tomorrow, looking toward to that.As you said lots of places in the world to visit. I will go check out your Costs Rico report.

Enjoy your 4 night cruise. Where is it going?

I really did love the Disney cruise we went on about 4-5 years ago, but the price has gone up exponentially since then. I won’t say I’ll never do another Disney cruise, but we would really have to find a good special to justify it.

As for Aulani, it was very much a ‘once and done’ for us. It was so crazy busy when we visited that my family could never find 4 seats together by the pool. Plus, the kids club was so popular, you had to queue for about an hour before it opened to get a place for your child. There was no arguing that it was a beautiful resort, but I was a bit disillusioned to be honest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!