Gettin' Around Disney July 2021 Exercise Thread

One form of Disney transport that people may not have thought much about, but have really been missing since the parks reopened, is the parking lot trams.

WDW has been without trams since it reopened a year ago. Disneyland reopened in April without trams, and reportedly it feels like quite a hike from the Mickey & Friends and Pixar Pals parking structures to the parks. But Disneyland did recently reopen its Toy Story surface lot with bus transportation to the parks.

Here's a video on the history of Disney trams, reportedly the world's first theme park parking shuttle.

(As a side note, my college job was driving a tram similar to these as a zoo tour guide, so I get warm fuzzies when I see them. Super fun job, pulling out with all the cars streaming behind!)

Back at the trail this morning for 35 minutes - glad I beat the rain! (450/500)

We rarely have a car on our trips, so I don't have too much experience with the trams. But, on our very first trip in 1988, I vividly remember getting caught in a downpour just as we got off the tram. My husband grabbed our 4 yr. old, and I pushed the stroller as fast as I could, but by the time we got to the car, we were all soaked to the skin! I have pictures of us in the car with the rain literally pouring off us. We made quite a sight in the hotel lobby. ☺

Last edited:

Congratulations to PollyannaMom, BonnieF, and me for turning Railroad Red!

Another form of transport at WDW that folks seem to be missing is the Minnie Vans. These super-cute Minnie-Mouse-decorated vehicles were able to be booked through Lyft, but were driven by WDW CMs and reportedly had better car-seat availability than regular ride-share vehicles (2 car seats per vehicle). Minnie Vans were not only available to take you around the resort property from 6:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., but also to and from MCO from 6 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (for a steep price for the airport ride!--@$155 each way plus gratuity).

WDW's website says that Minnie Vans are "temporarily unavailable," so let's hope they come back at some point.

We always stay on site but I still remember my daughters first Disney trip at around 17 months old. We were switching from all star to JW Marriot for DH to go to a work conference, so DH picked up a rental car that morning. We went to animal kingdom and the tram driver slammed on the brakes so hard. My DD hit her head on the seat in front of us. She had a big bump. Our first stop was first aid. who basically gave us ice and a concussion sheet.

7/20 25 minutes
7/21 20
7/22 30
7/23 40 minutes
7/24 10
7/25 35
7/26 26
7/27 35
7/28 35
7/29 30

Congratulations to Elizabeth Smith for exceeding goal and turning Monorail Green, and to already-Green ljcrochet for continuing to turn out those minutes! The TEAM is legitimately Railroad Red now as well!

Back when we were traveling around Fort Wilderness, I mentioned bike rental. Well, bike rentals and surrey bike rental are also available at several other resorts.

The WDW website says that 2-person or 4-person surrey bikes are available for rental at the Boardwalk, Old Key West, Port Orleans (Riverside and French Quarter), and Saratoga Springs. Right now, they are listed as "Temporarily Unavailable" at the Boardwalk, and Port Orleans isn't open, but maybe there are rentals at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs?

As for regular bicycles, check CBR, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs, and Wilderness Lodge (though the website says service is suspended at Wilderness Lodge right now due to construction). Both adult and children's bikes are available, and the rental includes helmets and child seats.

We always stay on site but I still remember my daughters first Disney trip at around 17 months old. We were switching from all star to JW Marriot for DH to go to a work conference, so DH picked up a rental car that morning. We went to animal kingdom and the tram driver slammed on the brakes so hard. My DD hit her head on the seat in front of us. She had a big bump. Our first stop was first aid. who basically gave us ice and a concussion sheet.

Oh, ouch! I was always worried about the little ones. Sometimes we had to stop pretty fast to avoid a hapless visitor in the way (our trams traveled through the zoo, on the walkways for part of the route).

30 minutes yesterday - a nice walk at the beach. (480/500) We're heading to the NY Botanical Garden today, so I know I'll beat my goal for the month!
Crazy night on Thursday here in NJ - there were 8 confirmed tornadoes!!!! None very close to us, but close enough that we got the heart-stopping alerts to take shelter now several times! The first came while we were having dinner - we grabbed our plates and ran to the basement. Very scary!
I get kick out of the Surrey bikes at the Boardwalk - especially as they approach the hill just past the Yacht Club ☺

1090 since last check in - more of the same - all horse related

3410/2200

I'll have a bit more by the end of the day but figured I should catch up while I have a moment.

Thanks for the kind wishes from my last post. Today is the last day of a terrible heat wave, so after that things should get easier. He is able to bear weight again, but his deepest wound is still in pretty bad shape so he is not free and clear yet. He was determined to have this summer off, I think. (I have to joke and laugh or I'll cry!)

30 minutes yesterday - a nice walk at the beach. (480/500) We're heading to the NY Botanical Garden today, so I know I'll beat my goal for the month!
Crazy night on Thursday here in NJ - there were 8 confirmed tornadoes!!!! None very close to us, but close enough that we got the heart-stopping alerts to take shelter now several times! The first came while we were having dinner - we grabbed our plates and ran to the basement. Very scary!
I get kick out of the Surrey bikes at the Boardwalk - especially as they approach the hill just past the Yacht Club ☺
Wow! That sounds like a supercell outbreak. Glad none were close to you. Jealous of your beach walk but glad you got to enjoy it! Hope the gardens are pretty for you!

Congratulations to PollyannaMom, BonnieF, and me for turning Railroad Red!

Another form of transport at WDW that folks seem to be missing is the Minnie Vans. These super-cute Minnie-Mouse-decorated vehicles were able to be booked through Lyft, but were driven by WDW CMs and reportedly had better car-seat availability than regular ride-share vehicles (2 car seats per vehicle). Minnie Vans were not only available to take you around the resort property from 6:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., but also to and from MCO from 6 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (for a steep price for the airport ride!--@$155 each way plus gratuity).

WDW's website says that Minnie Vans are "temporarily unavailable," so let's hope they come back at some point.

DD and I loved using Minnie Vans when we went on our girls' trip. I hope they return soon because I was planning on using them for the MK days this time (Jan 2022) instead of driving to TTC and taking the ferry.

Adding my time since the 18th. I haven't looked just yet but I think they are really bad numbers. DD was in the ER last Monday night. She is ok. The doctors thought possible appendicitis, then a cyst and now it is that she pulled (strained her abdominal wall muscle, the six pack muscle). I spent a lot of time at doctors appointments last week. I am going to still try to get my time in this week.

July 19th -- 36
July 20th -- 0
July 21st -- 0
July 22nd -- 23
July 23rd -- 0
July 24th -- 23
July 25th -- 52

Total -- 960/1395

I need to get 72ish minutes a day to hit my goal. Headache please go away so I can get my time in today.
I hope your DD is feeling better by now!

A gorgeous day for a trip to the gardens! So, we walked over 4 miles, 10,000 steps, and my Fitbit says 56 minutes. I"ll log that, even though I thought it was more like 120!
(536/500)

The garden has an art installation by Kusama - so cute! (Sorry about the sideways -I cannot get it upright!)
593606 593610

Congratulations to already-Green Twilight Sparkle for adding on a bunch-o-minutes, and to BonnieF and me for turning Monorail Green! And the TEAM is up to Monorail Green, at 106%!! A most excellent month!

I saved the most "Disney" form of transport for last. Remember the Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Fort Wilderness? Among its other inhabitants are white Shetland ponies, who draw Cinderella's Coach for Disney weddings and special events. According to this Disney Parks blog article, WDW found demand so great that they acquired a second carriage! The Disney weddings website says the coach comes with a driver and two footmen. (Other transport options for Disney weddings include a horse-drawn landau or antique autos.)

I was wondering how much the Coach might cost. According to a 2016 Today show report on Disney weddings, the price at that time was $2,950 for two hours.

Here's a picture of Obie, who in January was the newest pony to join the herd at Tri-Circle-D. He'll grow up to join his father and sister in pulling the Coach. And here's a trailer for a Disney weddings show on Disney+, in which you can see the Coach (and ponies) in motion.

And that's it for the month! Thanks for joining me on on our travels around Disney! I'll be back to collect up any last minutes, so post them if you have them.

DD and I loved using Minnie Vans when we went on our girls' trip. I hope they return soon because I was planning on using them for the MK days this time (Jan 2022) instead of driving to TTC and taking the ferry.

Yes, it's nice because (from what I read) the Minnie Vans could drop you off at the bus area, while other rideshares have to go to the TTC.

I will take on August as long as no one minds that there won't be a theme. I won't have a lot of time to spend online thanks to my current obligations, but I can tally our minutes every few days if that's okay with you all.

Thank you, that would be great!

The garden has an art installation by Kusama - so cute! (Sorry about the sideways -I cannot get it upright!)

Glad you had a good visit. Love the pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter