Get me excited for the Boardwalk

My two go to resorts are WL for Magic Kingdom and BWI for Epcot and HS. The boardwalk area adds a dimension that most resorts don't have. When you come out in the morning it is absolutely beautiful. Plus, just walking to the world showcase is fantastic. I love just taking a leisurely stroll back to the hotel after the fireworks when everyone else is scrambling to find transportation. It is definitely worth a try in my opinion.

It's not the heat. It is the Humidity that makes the real feel temperature well above 100 degrees many days in the summer months even if it only 88 degrees.

That's why we actually enjoy the afternoon Thunderstorms as long as they are between 3-4:30 PM.

Dave
Well I hate the humidity then 🤣🤣 it rained briefly the other day and I swear it was even more humid after. I now have lovely heat rash on my legs. This trip has been amazing but I'm second guessing my plans of retiring in Florida in 5 years🤣

My two go to resorts are WL for Magic Kingdom and BWI for Epcot and HS. The boardwalk area adds a dimension that most resorts don't have. When you come out in the morning it is absolutely beautiful. Plus, just walking to the world showcase is fantastic. I love just taking a leisurely stroll back to the hotel after the fireworks when everyone else is scrambling to find transportation. It is definitely worth a try in my opinion.
We are resort twins!
BWI is our favorite overall but when we can't get in BWI, WL is our next go to. And if we have a MK focused trip WL would be our first choice. If the staff at BWI all left, I think DH would opt to stay at WL all the time. It my be his favorite physical resort on property.
I was the most joyous to be at a Epcot area resort last NYE. Walking out past the guests waiting on the Skyliner. That line to load stretched back to the path to the lobby for YC!, and it even wound around the circle drive there beside the skyliner. I have no clue how long it took to get those folks back but I have a feeling we were fast asleep before the last guest was in their rooms

Well I hate the humidity then 🤣🤣 it rained briefly the other day and I swear it was even more humid after. I now have lovely heat rash on my legs. This trip has been amazing but I'm second guessing my plans of retiring in Florida in 5 years🤣
Not sure where your home is now but I do think it's something you grow accustomed to. Or at the very least build a tolerance to.
I know I find it tolerable. But we live in a very humid area so it's a normal way of life. Only difference is FL is maybe 5 degrees hotter on avg. But when you reach temps in the 90's, I don't think you can really tell that much difference. 90 feels just as hot as 95 if you ask me.

I'm second guessing my plans of retiring in Florida in 5 years🤣
We are retired and live where the humidity is high too, and like most people who live here, we stay indoors in the air conditioning during the summer!

Not sure where your home is now but I do think it's something you grow accustomed to. Or at the very least build a tolerance to.
I know I find it tolerable. But we live in a very humid area so it's a normal way of life. Only difference is FL is maybe 5 degrees hotter on avg. But when you reach temps in the 90's, I don't think you can really tell that much difference. 90 feels just as hot as 95 if you ask me.
Absolutely, 90, 95, 100, all miserable, lol. I'm in NY (city area) so it's humid here too. I thought living with broken central AC for a week prepared me. This year I'm worse then usual. Maybe it's my age. Dh works outdoors and is ok. I keep needing to take heat breaks.

This trip has been amazing but I'm second guessing my plans of retiring in Florida in 5 years🤣
It takes a few months to get used to the weather here. Your blood will thin out and from October - May it is perfect. Think of Summer like your think about how cold it is up north. All winter / spring.

One key item Orlando does represent all of Florida. After your first year here you will want a light jacket some evenings even if you are still wearing shorts and sandals that you can wear all year here.

Orlando is located in the Central heat sink. Most other areas are near the beaches with breezes from the Atlantic / Gulf Coast.

We moved here 28 years ago and have no plans to leave.

Absolutely, 90, 95, 100, all miserable, lol. I'm in NY (city area) so it's humid here too. I thought living with broken central AC for a week prepared me. This year I'm worse then usual. Maybe it's my age. Dh works outdoors and is ok. I keep needing to take heat breaks.
I’m in the suburbs of NYC. It’s for sure humid here in the summer. I’m kind of nervous about going to florida in July though lol

I’m in the suburbs of NYC. It’s for sure humid here in the summer. I’m kind of nervous about going to florida in July though lol
You should be fine. This is the worst I've ever been. My kids and husband are fine and we usually go this time of year and I manage. Not sure what my problem is this year 🤣
It takes a few months to get used to the weather here. Your blood will thin out and from October - May it is perfect. Think of Summer like your think about how cold it is up north. All winter / spring.

One key item Orlando does represent all of Florida. After your first year here you will want a light jacket some evenings even if you are still wearing shorts and sandals that you can wear all year here.

Orlando is located in the Central heat sink. Most other areas are near the beaches with breezes from the Atlantic / Gulf Coast.

We moved here 28 years ago and have no plans to leave.
We actually want to move to the Gulf Coast area. We aren't tied to anything but my husband loves Sarasota. We won't be beach front but I do want to be close enough to go. I do joke with him that he could work at the Disney golf courses when he retires🤣

Eat at Flying Fish when you are there - it was our best meal there the other day when we ate there.

Avoid the Boardwalk Pizza Window. We were there the other night and the pizza was barely edible, really disgusting. After a few bites we threw it out. (It was so good when we ate there 6 years ago but alas no more.)

Boardwalk deli (formerly bakery) had good, fresh muffins.

Eat at Flying Fish when you are there - it was our best meal there the other day when we ate there.

Avoid the Boardwalk Pizza Window. We were there the other night and the pizza was barely edible, really disgusting. After a few bites we threw it out. (It was so good when we ate there 6 years ago but alas no more.)

Boardwalk deli (formerly bakery) had good, fresh muffins.
Now that's funny
We hated the pizza 6 or so years ago but think it's pretty good now. For a basic, plain pepperoni or cheese pizza. Along with a side salad. Not stellar but better than any chain. I'd take that over just about any other QS I've had at Disney.

I’m always hesitant to get pizza anywhere else. I live in the suburbs of NYC so we have good pizza here. I always feel like everywhere else falls short

The pool at Boardwalk is also very crowded. We were always able to find seats but back farther, not right by the water, and usually only 1-2 seats, not enough for all of us. So I’m not sure switching will help the pool situation. We stayed in a Garden view room on the first floor and preferred the quiet pool. Other than that you already know the pros and cons of the area.

In terms of pools I actually liked CBR much much better. Our kids also loved the CBR playground and hammocks/beach, and their splash pad is way better. However, the rooms are smaller and you have to take the skyliner, not walk, to HS and EP.

I’m always hesitant to get pizza anywhere else. I live in the suburbs of NYC so we have good pizza here. I always feel like everywhere else falls short
Oh I’m sure it will if you want it to be that good. Granted that doesn’t mean it isn’t darn good pizza. Just few can stand up to that level of good 😊

In terms of pools I actually liked CBR much much better. Our kids also loved the CBR playground and hammocks/beach, and their splash pad is way better. However, the rooms are smaller and you have to take the skyliner, not walk, to HS and EP.
I was never considering CBR because I don’t like how big it is. I’m not a fan of the internal bus system.

I was debating about WL, but we have already stayed there twice and I wanted to try something else.

I think I’m just going to keep Boardwalk. Stormalong Bay is just too big in terms of the pool with all of the bridges to get to one area. And I just am not a fan of how the contemporary looks.

Thanks though!

We booked the Boardwalk for next summer because we liked the Epcot resort area but my husband wasn’t a big fan of Stormalong Bay (we stayed at BC in April). He didn’t like how difficult it was to find seats and we thought the pool was really big so it was hard to keep track of our daughter without being in the pool the entire time. I also wanted to try a new resort (we previously stayed at WL (x2), Polynesian, BC, and we have a POFQ trip booked).

Is Boardwalk ok? The slide looks fun. Our daughter will be 7 and we are going with our niece who will be 2.5.

Should I scrap it and book a different hotel? I’ll have to get my brother in law to switch it too so that makes it more complicated.

I know people talk about lack of QS at boardwalk but we have PH so I figured we could walk to Epcot?

We've done boardwalk exclusively for the last several years. It is out favorite, and we've done all the MK and Epcot area deluxes, and AKL, just just love boardwalk the most. That being said we love the theming and hope the new reno doesn't ruin that. But you've got Trattoria, the bakery, CL is awesome if you want to pay for it (honestly we used to do CL but stopped because the price is insane now, but that is all of Disney). My one complaint is Stormalong bay blows the BW pool out of the water (pun intended) but since you don't like stormalong, i guess that shouldn't stop you!

The location is just the best too. walk to Epcot, that is so invaluable when its the end of the day and you don't want to spend 90 minutes, walking, waiting for a bus, riding the bus, walking to your room, etc. Can walk to studios too if you are so inclined. Or take the Friendship boats which are cozy and air conditioned, great break in the middle of the day!

I believe roomwise it is one of the smallest resorts, so don't have crazy crowds inside.

Browse the shops, enjoy evening entertainment.

BW has so much going for it.

I’ve never stayed at the BW, so I’m really no help, but I thought the BW was undergoing some updates and renovations. I’m not sure what the extent is or when this is even happening, but it may be something to consider. We are Yacht and Beach Club people, but I can’t find availability at either resort for next June. Like you, we love the Epcot resort area, so we were considering a stay at the BW briefly until I started doing some research. Again, I’m not sure what the timeline is, but it looks like a new lobby is in the works plus a refresh/renovation of the rooms. I know they just changed the Boardwalk Bakery to the Boardwalk Deli and I think I read a new cake or bake shop is coming, so it seems things are happening there. Just something to consider, and if anyone has a timeline of the renovations, please share!
I’m not a DVC member yet…I am waiting for a BWV contract to pass ROFR but I rented a BCV deluxe studio next June through the DVC rental store. Lots of rentals still available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter