Get Fit For Disney!

Me too! I recently had a salad that had raw kale in it that I'm going to try and re-create. I didn't even know you could eat kale raw, but I've been trying to work more kale and chard into my diet so I was excited. Once the weather gets warm here (and it's gonna be awhile:sad2:) I plan on eating salads for dinner 3-4 nights a week. Oh, and avocado is heaven-sent, no way I'd ever cut it out of my diet.

We bought a Vitamix about a year ago and made some really yummy green smoothies that had kale and swiss chard. With the right combo of banana or the like you couldn't even taste the greens. But after not using it for a couple months I can't find it. :eek:

Avocado is the perfect food. I don't even make guacamole any more, because I don't want any other "tastes" getting in the way of my beloved avocado. I eat it straight. :cloud9:

Hey I see we got a thread, Thanks L-Harper!!!

I think I by far have the most to lose. I would like to lose 90 but will be happy with 40 by the trip!!!

I am really into salads now, just finished one (kids are having mac and cheese for dinner)

I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts :scared1:

I am actually gonna head out to the YMCA with the kids after dinner so they can go swimming (me too) and I think we will walk there and walk home since it's so nice out!

Then after they go to bed I will go for my usual walk.

I would really love to hear some great low calorie meal ideas and some great snack tips. I find I do better if I have 6 small meals all day. That way I snack less because I know food is coming.

Natalie

I'm with you! My husband is a bean pole. I tease we are the perfect #10 couple. He's the 1 and I'm the 0 :rotfl: My girls are followng in his footsteps it seems. Good for them :rolleyes1

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's tips and encouragement!

I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts :scared1:

I hear ya! My boyfriend is super lean and keeps offering to make me one of his cocoa creations or suggesting cookies for dessert. I feel bad turning him down, but he knows I'm trying to cut back on that sort of thing. Good luck!

Thank you!

Eating carbs and fruit (which turns into natural sugar) earlier in the day gives your body more time to burn it off than if you were to eat later in the day.

Ahh that makes sense. Good to know, thanks!

We bought a Vitamix about a year ago and made some really yummy green smoothies that had kale and swiss chard. With the right combo of banana or the like you couldn't even taste the greens. But after not using it for a couple months I can't find it. :eek:

Avocado is the perfect food. I don't even make guacamole any more, because I don't want any other "tastes" getting in the way of my beloved avocado. I eat it straight. :cloud9:

Sounds like green juice! There are a zillion recipes for this on the 'net, and I'd love to try some. However, my blender is loud and I don't want to annoy my apartment neighbors in the morning. It's supposed to be really healthy though, and breakfast smoothies are great in the summer.

Here is a very simple recipe:
Lunch

1 28 oz Can Whole Tomatoes (no salt added)

1 16 oz Bag Mixed Frozen Vegetables

4 oz Frozen Chopped Collard Greens

1/2 Large Bag Success Instant Brown Rice

This took about 10 minutes to make, only because the rice takes 10 minutes to make. I put the tomatoes and the veggies in a pot and as soon as the rice was done, i added it.

This is from Jeff Novick' s blog. Just a sample of one of his quick meals. When I cook I like to make enough extra so I always have left overs for a meal the next day.
Breakfast-Oatmeal and bagel
Lunch today was a baked yam and a side of veggies. Yummy!
Snack-orange

Barb

You can always add some black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, black olives and a little avocado to make them even better. The few extra calories are worth it since you're getting a ton of veggies.

You are right. I do add those things (except avocado :sick:), I just didn't list everything. Plus I have to put them on the side. My kids freak out if I put the black beans in with the meat. :rotfl:

I've really been working on cutting out a lot of sodium. Its amazing how much sodium is in different foods. I also gave up pop(I'm from Michigan, we call it pop). That is proving to be a big challenge!

I just can't give up pop! At least its diet pepsi. I know it isn't good for me, but giving it up isn't something I want to try right now. I try to limit it to 1 a day though! I usually save it for afternoon snack. Then I can hold off eating until dinner.

I'd like to join! My goal is to drop 25 pounds before out trip in late August. I've been working really hard for the past month and lost 10 pounds. :goodvibes

No true carbs past 12 noon, fruit only with my breakfast, 10 8oz glasses of water per day and at lease 30 minutes of activity per day.

CONGRATS on your weight loss!!!!!

Wow! 4 pages already! I just came over from the Sept planning board. Hi everyone!

I'm in! I've been overweight for a long time, about 11 years, since going to college. I have tried to lose weight before but kind of half heartedly. Well, my mom challenged herself, me and my sisters to lose a certain percentage of our body weight by June 1st, starting Jan. 1st. If we do it, she'll give us each $250 for new clothes. Well, that motivation plus the support = I have lost 30 lbs since Jan 1st!

I've mostly done this through counting calories and trying to eat 1200-1500 cal a day. I'm sure before I was eating around 2500 because I would eat whatever I wanted and however much i wanted to. Have been exercising more too (on an elliptical) but usually about once a week is it for that. I am hoping to lose 100 lbs total and would like to be down another 20 minimum by the time we go to Disney. :dance3:

I'm here! Thanks, L-Harper, for starting this thread! Last year around this time I lost 50lb, then put 10 back over the holidays. My overall goal is another 50, but realistically I'd like to lose 20-30 before Disney.

I've really been working on cutting out a lot of sodium. Its amazing how much sodium is in different foods. I also gave up pop(I'm from Michigan, we call it pop). That is proving to be a big challenge!

Sodium is very hard. It lurks everywhere. I never realized how much I was consuming until I started tracking my food last year.

To help with this journey, I use the free tools at www.FitDay.com.

You can enter foods you've eaten in a Food Journal, write down thoughts in a regular Daily Journal, track your weight progress and goals, see how many calories you need to eat each day based on your goal, etc., etc. They offer alot of different tools, reports, and graphs to help you!

This sounds a lot like the free site I use: www.sparkpeople.com
They have a searchable database of food, a recipe builder that figures out the nutritional info per serving of homemade food, a fitness tracker, a route calculator (figures out speed and calories burned when you map your route and enter the time it took you), bulletin boards, articles and tons of other stuff. It's awesome!

My favorite snacks right now are 100 calorie microwave popcorn bags, cheese sticks, and frosted mini-wheats (dry).

My favorite go to meal is salad, or a hummus pita sandwich with veggies.

I just can't give up pop! At least its diet pepsi. I know it isn't good for me, but giving it up isn't something I want to try right now. I try to limit it to 1 a day though! I usually save it for afternoon snack. Then I can hold off eating until dinner.

Try pepsi 1 or coke 0. I try to drink only water but sometimes I need something with taste. pepsi 1 and coke 0 have lower sodium than diet.

We did an sweet orange spiced tilapia that I adored, but she didn't care for.

Oh, and does anyone out there like rollerskating? I just found out my local rink has a Wednesday night skate (it's my favorite new exercise!)

What is tilapia? The sweet orange spiced part sounds good.

I used to love rollerskating when I was a teen. Now I'm afraid I'll fall and break my leg. But that and ice skating is something I should get back into since the kids like it.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I was drinking 3-5 cans of Cherry Pepsi everyday for months and months. It was my coffee so to speak. I'd crack one open as soon as I got up. A can of pop is far too convenient.

Wow! A few years ago I was drinking about 1 can a day and started having health issues. I seriously thought I was having mini-heart attacks! After a particular bad episode sent me to the hospital, I found out it was gas. Can you imagine? How the heck one gets "gas" in their chest area, I do not understand but ohh it's painful. Shortly afterward I discovered drinking too much pop causes this. Now I'm at the point where I drink maybe 1 can a week (winter months), and I find there's not too many flavours I still like anymore. 'Cept Dr. Pepper of course! ;)

Eating carbs and fruit (which turns into natural sugar) earlier in the day gives your body more time to burn it off than if you were to eat later in the day.

Thanks for the info! So if I'm dying for a slice of bread, bagel or english muffin - I'll have it in the morning instead of lunch or dinner. Works for me. I prefer to have that in the morning anyways. :goodvibes

A couple of people asked about the veggie stew recipe. It's this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wakulas-First-Attempt-at-Vegetable-Stew/Detail.aspx

I make it with slightly different ingredients though:

1 T olive oil or butter
1 onion, chopped
2 leeks, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, chopped
3 c veggie broth
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 head grean cabbage, chopped with ribs discarded
2 potatoes, cubed
1.5 t oregano
1 t basil
1 bay leaf
dash cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Popping in to say hi :goodvibes

I have too much weight to lose :sad2: but if I could make small steps towards healthier habits that would be great.

Pop and coffee...two big weaknesses of mine! I'm a caffeine junkie and I really need to cut down!

All my problems started with my second pregnancy with DD4. Like some of you, I had extremely bad hyperemesis and had a PICC line in my arm; a Zofran pump(which did not help my N/V), and IV fluids/ home health nursing care for 6+ months because I was vomiting constantly, did not eat or drink for 6 months, lost a lot of weight. Did end up gaining weight in third trimester thankfully for DDs sake but after her birth it seemed my body just rebounded and held onto every single calorie because it was almost like I was starving early in the pregnancy and my body wanted no part of that again, Lol

Ah well, like I said, I'd love to just get healthier overall! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter