Gay Days for Families?

sydneylu

Earning My Ears
I have never been to Gay Days at Disney World and my partner and I have been thinking about taking my 9-year-old daughter and her 11-year-old niece this year. We would not stay in the host hotel, just go to the parks and stay on Disney property. I have read some posts which made me wonder if we really want to be there at that time. Do any other parents have any input?

It is FINE to bring the kids! This will be our 5th year at Gay Days and we have yet to see ANYTHING inappropriate. Our son is older (he will be 18 in a few weeks) but really, there is absolutely no reason not to go and have a terrific time.
If things get out of hand it is at places like the pool parties, not in the parks or at the on-property hotels.

Agree with PP - ITS FINE!!!! I feel like every year we go we see more and more families! We get a little choked up every time we see 2 dads or 2 moms with a little one enjoying the day! MK day especially.

If by the off chance you find it isn't for you - and I don't think you'll feel this way - there are always 3 other parks, DTD and 2 water parks to visit.......I think it's worth the experience!!!

Great! I was really excited about planning the trip but then I saw a post about people getting drunk/high and being obnoxious. Thanks for your input- I'm gonna check room availability now!

We have brought ours and our youngest just wasn't ready for the parks. He had more fun staying in the hot tub with the "Bears". lol But if they are fine at Disney then there will be no issues. The "Host Hotels" are not Disney hotels and we rarely noticed other Gay people in the resorts but the parks you will see lot's of Red shirts even on Straight Allies. You may have a bad apple from time to time but I have never seen anything that you would not see on any other day. It is actually more of a family event now with lot's of Gay families in attendance and people bringing their Straight friends and family.

My wife and I are bringing our 3 year old and 4 year old. We've been in the past. It was a wonderful experience. Stay on property and enjoy! Hope to see ya there.

I'm not a parent, but next year I am planning a group trip, using my DVC, for 21 people. I am the only gay person in that group. The trip will be during Gay Days, and the adults in the traveling party know about Gay Days. Some have been during Gay Days before, there will be three 6 year olds, a 1 year old, and two male teens.

No one is concerned. The OPs trip should be just fine.

100% to Gay Days being great for families. We're going to our second GD and cannot wait to see our beloved friends again! We had a great time last time and expect to have an even better time this go around. :goodvibes

Absolutely bring your kids! I'm a straight male, but have been to Disney during gay days before. There are still plenty of families there during gay days and I see no reason your family shouldn't joint them!

I'm a straight gal who proudly wore a red shirt at the last Gay Days event at Disneyland. Brought my family which includes my 8 year old daughter and would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, there were family activities listed for gay couples and their kids during that time.

I've never been to the event at Walt Disney World, but from what people are saying on this thread I think you'll be fine.

I'm in the beginning phases of planning our next WDW trip and it looks like Gay Days 2015 (June 2 - 8) will be the perfect time for us to go. :banana:

Our 17 year old daughter is gay and I think it would be a great experience for her to celebrate her 18th birthday at Disney World (and especially during Gay Days in such an inclusive, LGBT-friendly atmosphere).

We love staying on Disney property so we wouldn't be staying at the host hotel, but now that I have the dates I think I am going to run with it! So excited!

I have never been to Gay Days at Disney World and my partner and I have been thinking about taking my 9-year-old daughter and her 11-year-old niece this year. We would not stay in the host hotel, just go to the parks and stay on Disney property. I have read some posts which made me wonder if we really want to be there at that time. Do any other parents have any input?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with many of the posters here...let me ask you a question first.

Why are you choosing specifically Gay Days to come to WDW? Disney welcomes you any time during the year! There aren't any blackout dates for gay guests. <g>

As for vulgar or obnoxious things, and considering the age of your daughter and partner's niece, you will have to be prepared for the possibility of explaining certain words or expressions on red shirts.

You see, at one time a simple red shirt was all you needed during Gay Days in the parks. It was like, "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." Well, they (straights) did get used to it. For that reason, I believe, over the past 8-10 years now, based on my trips to WDW during Gay Days, most gay guests put expressions or even images on their red shirts, as a plain red shirt no longer has the same effect.

Waiting in line is probably where they will notice them most, considering the layout of most ride queues.

Most expressions are cute like "Furozen, Let It Grrr" (yeah, we get it, we knew you were a gay bear the moment we looked at your hairy, overweight body with the ubiquitous bear claw/bear paw tattoo, facial hair and shaved head) or clever, "I pay taxes, too," but some can be downright offensive. Some of those expressions, which I saw during Gay Days 2014, are so vulgar that if I were to put them here I would be violating the disboards' TOS. (Send me a private message for some examples.)

Finally, I'm an AP holder, go often, and I can safely say that I've never seen, any other time of the year, any guest wearing a shirt with an offensive saying on it.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with many of the posters here...let me ask you a question first.

Why are you choosing specifically Gay Days to come to WDW? Disney welcomes you any time during the year! There aren't any blackout dates for gay guests. <g>

As for vulgar or obnoxious things, and considering the age of your daughter and partner's niece, you will have to be prepared for the possibility of explaining certain words or expressions on red shirts.

You see, at one time a simple red shirt was all you needed during Gay Days in the parks. It was like, "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." Well, they (straights) did get used to it. For that reason, I believe, over the past 8-10 years now, based on my trips to WDW during Gay Days, most gay guests put expressions or even images on their red shirts, as a plain red shirt no longer has the same effect.

Waiting in line is probably where they will notice them most, considering the layout of most ride queues.

Most expressions are cute like "Furozen, Let It Grrr" (yeah, we get it, we knew you were a gay bear the moment we looked at your hairy, overweight body with the ubiquitous bear claw/bear paw tattoo, facial hair and shaved head) or clever, "I pay taxes, too," but some can be downright offensive. Some of those expressions, which I saw during Gay Days 2014, are so vulgar that if I were to put them here I would be violating the disboards' TOS. (Send me a private message for some examples.)

Finally, I'm an AP holder, go often, and I can safely say that I've never seen, any other time of the year, any guest wearing a shirt with an offensive saying on it.

First off, let me say that I did not see ANY offensive T-Shirts this year, second I have seen plenty of offensive T-Shirts other times of the year, as I am also an AP holder and travel to Disney several times a year as a DVC Member. Especially when the French Connection-UK clothing brand was popular.

You can certainly see something most any time of year you may find offensive. Next year, I have a group of 22 people going down over Gay Days. I am the only gay person in the group. There will be three 6 year olds, two teens and a one year old that are part of the group. Some of the parents have been during Gay Days in previous years, they are aware of the event, and they are not the least bit concerned.

First off, let me say that I did not see ANY offensive T-Shirts this year, second I have seen plenty of offensive T-Shirts other times of the year, as I am also an AP holder and travel to Disney several times a year as a DVC Member. Especially when the French Connection-UK clothing brand was popular.

You can certainly see something most any time of year you may find offensive. Next year, I have a group of 22 people going down over Gay Days. I am the only gay person in the group. There will be three 6 year olds, two teens and a one year old that are part of the group. Some of the parents have been during Gay Days in previous years, they are aware of the event, and they are not the least bit concerned.

If you want examples of what I saw a few weeks ago during Gay Days, send me a private message.

Hi! You offered to send proof of offensive t-shirts at Gay Days and I was going to PM you for the examples, unfortunately I haven't posted 10 comments yet so couldn't send you a PM (or something like that?), so I was wondering if you would be so kind as to send me the proof. Would you be able to PM me?

Hi! You offered to send proof of offensive t-shirts at Gay Days and I was going to PM you for the examples, unfortunately I haven't posted 10 comments yet so couldn't send you a PM (or something like that?), so I was wondering if you would be so kind as to send me the proof. Would you be able to PM me?

Sure, I'll send you a private message with some of the expressions I saw on red shirts at Gay Days 2014.

I don't want to go too deep into this political/religious issue. However, my family has visted twice during Gay Days, which happened to fall on the same weekend as Star Wars. I'll admit we were going for Star Wars weekend and not Gay Days. In 2010 I was worried because my kids were about 6 and I was not ready for that talk yet. I intentionally worked our park schedule around Gay Days. It was not bad. We did run into a few flamboyant folks who wanted to throw it in your face. Those were few and far between that year. In 2013 I did the same thing, but we had to make an unscheduled trip to the MK on a weekend day. Just so happened this was also the Gay Day park. Lets just say I was uncomfortable. I am not deeply religious or political on this matter either. I would say going to Disney during Gay Days is fine as long as you work your schedule around it.

Sure, I'll send you a private message with some of the expressions I saw on red shirts at Gay Days 2014.

Thanks for the PM, I still don't have enough comments to send you one back though :sad2:.

Numbers 2, 4, and 6 are a little unfortunate, but all in all I don't think they were too bad. I wouldn't be put off taking young kids to a Gay Day, since they'd probably be too awestruck with the parks to notice things like t-shirt slogans anyway, and older kids who do notice will probably just giggle about it.

Thanks again for the info :)

....I was not ready for that talk yet.

Not picking on you, as it is a common comment. But for most parents "that talk" is much simpler and less intense than you imagine.

I don't recall having a major talk about such things at a young age. But in the case of my best friends' little girl, it was very simple. She was 5 at the time.

Her parents and I were in the car, heading to a dinner for my birthday and her dad said to me, "Chuck, you're a nice guy, we really need to find you a boyfriend." The little girl giggled, and said, "Daddy, you can't find Uncle Chuck a boyfriend friend...he's a boy."

His wife said, "Sweetheart, usually boys like girls and girls like boys. But sometimes boys like boys and girls like girls."

Daughter said, "Oh, OK. What's for dinner?" and that has been the extent of the conversation.

And this little girl, like all children that age, picks up far more than we'd like...anyone says a "naughty word" and you know she has to try it out as soon as possible. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter