Gator grabs 2 year old at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just totally breaks my heart! I am praying for the family and to be honest the thought of gators at Disney never crossed my mind as a potential threat either. I mean we aren't beach people so when we go we don't normally visit the beaches. I am incredibly saddened by this whole thing and again my prayers are with this family. What a horrible time in Orlando this week

If it was anyone else but Disney I'd think that too. But I bet they are doing the most thorough search possible, and if they don't find him overnight, I doubt they ever will.

Disney isn't in charge of the search and recovery but they are of course cooperating with the sheriff's dept and Fish and Wildlife.

I've never been to WDW so I don't know the area... is it a man made lake that's connected to swamps? I don't understand. It looks beach-y? But there are signs to stay out of the water?

Primarily due to bacteria...but also because they cannot know exactly what goes in and out of the lagoon.

The lagoon is a Disney dredged and filled pond that is connected to the natural occuring bay lake. There are swamps all around and a system of locks/holding pools installed to manage water and flooding when WDW was constructed.

The WDW property...had it been bought in 1973 after the establishment of the EPA and the passing of superfund...would likely have been a brownfield site. It was a fertilizer farm...not a great place to go swimming

I mean its all surrounded by swamp as is the whole state. But Disney cleaned up the lake when they built it, and made it look pretty for people to walk on (and originally swim in; that's no longer the case)
If I'm not mistaken. Seven seas lagoon is man made but bay lake is natural. Both are connected by canals though.

Disney isn't in charge of the search and recovery but they are of course cooperating with the sheriff's dept and Fish and Wildlife.

Disney is not equipped to do any heavy lifting in crisis...

There political arm - the reedy creek EMS/rescue teams - are though, however.

I've never been to WDW so I don't know the area... is it a man made lake that's connected to swamps? I don't understand. It looks beach-y? But there are signs to stay out of the water?

It's hundreds of acres large, connected to another large lake that has many canals and other things that feed it... There is even a huge manatee reserve very close and the many thousands of acres that area has..

central florida is all swamp and marshland, most of the area is built on reclaimed land. I just moved here, live about 30 feet from a lake and i've already seen more than 1 alligator. they are as common as a stray cat anywhere else. If there is water, the chance of an aligator or poisonous snake not being in it is slim..

edited to add: everything is connected to everything even if manmade.. the area is just a sponge.

It is very pretty but to tell you the truth it has always creeped me out at night. It can
be so dark and looking at the water so black always made me wonder whats lurking around
in there so i made sure we all stayed WELL away from the water at night.

I know it does not look good but I am hoping and praying.

Primarily due to bacteria...but also because they cannot know exactly what goes in and out of the lagoon.

Actually it stopped when the law came out that required all warm freshwater swimming areas needed to be chlorinated. The next day is when swimming and river country stopped.

It is very pretty but to tell you the truth it has always creeped me out at night. It can
be so dark and looking at the water so black always made me wonder whats lurking around
in there so i made sure we all stayed WELL away from the water at night.

I know it does not look good but I am hoping and praying.

Same here, I never went near the water at night.

Disney is not equipped to do any heavy lifting in crisis...

There political arm - the reedy creek EMS/rescue teams - are though, however.

Disney will pony up all the cash they want though. They'll pay all the overtime, etc, they need to get this resolved before the 7AM news broadcasts. They will flex their muscles, I'm sure of it.

Actually it stopped when the law came out that required all warm freshwater swimming areas needed to be chlorinated. The next day is when swimming and river country stopped.

Swimming was discontinued in the lagoon and bay lake (other than parasailing) long before River country...which held on till about 2003

Thank you for the information in response to my question about the water there.

So gut-wrenching and heartbreaking. My prayers are with that family.

Disney will pony up all the cash they want though. They'll pay all the overtime, etc, they need to get this resolved before the 7AM news broadcasts. They will flex their muscles, I'm sure of it.

What resolution are you expecting them to buy? It's sad to say but they young boy was gone within moments after the alligator had him in the water.

What resolution are you expecting them to buy? It's sad to say but they young boy was gone within moments after the alligator had him in the water.

You speak the sad truth...He likely never surfaced. He was only 2...not equipped at all for that horrible situation.

And disney will settle it with strong arm tactics behind the scenes quietly...as they always do.

Nothing will ever erase this...just awful.

I think in a lot of cases like this the local jurisdiction doesn't want to pay for the equipment and overtime, so they "call the search due to darkness," but Disney will pay for it all gladly, so they'll do a lot more than they would if it happened 10 miles down the road. They're going to want to say they recovered the body ASAP, and I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter