Gas- $3.99 a gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just filled up for $3.29/gallon! It's artificially low because a new gas station opened up near us is running really low prices for their grand opening and other stations are dropping their prices to match. Across the city as a whole, gas seems to be ranging from about $3.60-$4.00/gallon. (Central Ohio)

On Tuesday in central NJ it was $4.19. As a previous poster said, funny to get excited about that price which is still about $2 higher than 18 months ago. I have heard it reported that the price per barrel may increase 3xs its current rate. I sure hope that isn't true.
Why some people so desperate for times to be bad and get worse?
Unemployment has dropped From 6.2% 18 months ago to 3.6% in June (July numbers pending this week)
Gas is down on average almost 1.00 from its high. And it is a key component in the cost of our goods and services and in our own budgets.
Oh and we got Al Quada's #1 and key 911 architect Ayman Al-zawahiri
There is much to be glad of.

Unemployment has dropped From 6.2% 18 months ago to 3.6% in June (July numbers pending this week)
Gas is down on average almost 1.00 from its high. And it is a key component in the cost of our goods and services and in our own budgets.
Perhaps they are unhappy with greater than 9% inflation on top of a recession.

$3.76 at my Costco in Northern VA today, lowest other station around was $4.29, so more of a discount than usual for Costco. We moved to an area where we can walk a lot of places and with good public transportation, so I don't fill up much anymore.

Record high inflation
Recession
Companies announcing layoffs
$4.40 a gallon gas instead of $5.10
Grocery bill up 15-20%
We should all be very very glad

I sold two of our cars for ridiculously high prices (minivan and one of our two hybrids), signed 3 year lease on SUV to bridge to the electric SUV I want but can’t get my hands on anyway. Downsized from 3 to 2 because used car prices are so high! So am I happy about inflation—heck no! But I’m making inflation work for me lol. Weird times sometimes net weird opportunities.

lowest around here (as in costco rates) $4.79 and holding.

And so will the economy and lots of jobs.

I'm not sure companies would risk laying off that many workers. They have seen the error of their ways in laying off so many workers during Covid. Those decisions came back to haunt them.

Y'all realize that gas in most of Europe is over $10/gallon (calculated from liters) and has been for years.

A big part of the higher cost is that the minimum octane is 95. As a result, many more people bike to work or take public transportation. Of course, there is more, better, cleaner public transportation available. It all depends on what government prioritizes

Last edited:
Y'all realize that gas in most of Europe is over $10/gallon (calculated from liters) and has been for years.

A big part of the higher cost is that the minimum octane is 95. As a result, many more people bike to work or take public transportation. Of course, there is more, better, cleaner public transportation available. It all depends on what government prioritizes
The US is far bigger and more spread out. Most people here don't have decent options for public transportation.

The US is far bigger and more spread out. Most people here don't have decent options for public transportation.
You are right...options. As I said, what is prioritized.
I was in Munich this summer. Its pretty spread out and we were staying in burbs. Took the subway in to downtown. Clean, efficient and easy. We saw a poster in the train car that was a picture of downtown Munich with 3 huge parking garages behind historic city hall. DH said "I don't remember parking garages behind city hall!". I translated the sign and it said "This is what Munich would look like if it weren't for Metro " . Priority.

This is crazy talk; I don't think anyone wants things to get worse.

Unemployment was up so high 18 months ago due to pandemic and the world being shut down. The US unemployment rate in 2019 was 3.5% prior to pandemic. The US is no longer shut down, so people have their jobs back which equals the unemployment rate going down.

Yes, gas is down, demand is down. I have only left my home one time this week, this is reflective to many people making better use of their driving needs. Consolidating their errands and getting the most out of each trip they take in their cars. It's the smart thing to do. Yes, the cost to transport goods to stores is a key component in the cost of goods, that's basic economics.

Yes we got Ayman al-Zawahiri, that's a good thing but look where we got him. That's not a good thing.

To your last point, if you say so...but there's still lots more to be concerned about.

I paid $4.24 on Wednesday. It looks like they're still coming down slowly, the same station is at $4.19 today.

This is crazy talk; I don't think anyone wants things to get worse.

Unemployment was up so high 18 months ago due to pandemic and the world being shut down. The US unemployment rate in 2019 was 3.5% prior to pandemic. The US is no longer shut down, so people have their jobs back which equals the unemployment rate going down.

Yes, gas is down, demand is down. I have only left my home one time this week, this is reflective to many people making better use of their driving needs. Consolidating their errands and getting the most out of each trip they take in their cars. It's the smart thing to do. Yes, the cost to transport goods to stores is a key component in the cost of goods, that's basic economics.

Yes we got Ayman al-Zawahiri, that's a good thing but look where we got him. That's not a good thing.

To your last point, if you say so...but there's still lots more to be concerned about.
That is absolutely correct, however, it has been a long time without a whole lot of good news at all.

As a society we all have to get our collective heads out of our butts and do whatever is necessary to not have things get much worse. It amazes me how many people think that the trap we are in at the moment is a good thing and not see that we are all victims right now. Why would anyone think that it is great to live in the 1800's. We are victims because we have been so complacent. We cannot let that happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter