Garmin vs. Fitbit

KingLlama

DIS Veteran
$150 in Christmas cash to spend.

My only experience has been with Fitbit. It's been up and down. I've had the Ulta and the Charge HR.

Never had any experience with a Garmin.

What's your vote?

If you are going to keep running I would suggest Garmin. Fitbit is good for an everyday kind of fitness check. I’ve had a Fitbit but it broke and I decided not to go back. Currently I’m an apple watch person but if I do switch it would be to Garmin.

+1 for Garmin.

I had two FitBits fail on me within a year (the second was a replacement for the first). Having said that, my wife has had her current one for years now.

As for Garmin, I purchased a Forerunner (forget that model) back in 2012. It's still going strong...however, I did buy a new one on sale this past Christmas just to get the bluetooth connection, the HR monitor, and the VO2 calc.

I have a Vivoactive 3. Perfect mix of daily activity tracker/watch and running accuracy.

I vote for Garmin as well. DH uses his Fitbit when we run vs my Forerunner 220. We always have to stand there for a whole minute while his tries to get satellites but mine gets a signal instantly. Also, DD has gone through 3 fitbits in the last year. Fitbit has always replaced them bit it's a pain. Not sure why those watches don't like her.

Plus, I really like Garmin connect for tracking my workouts.

I’ve had fitbits I think the Alta? And Charge, and an “entry level” Garmin 35. FWIW I much prefer the Garmin. Of course the Garmin I have has GPS and HR and the fitbits I have had never did so it’s comparing apples to oranges.

I used to have both, but when my Fitbit died, I went over to a Garmin completely. They’ve been great!

Never used Fitbit but would 100% recommend a Garmin. It is simply brilliant as a running watch. Not sure of US pricing but would $150 also get you activity tracking?

+1 Garmin
Had several Fitbits before making the jump over to Garmin - will never go back!

Another vote for Garmin. I’ve been using them since 2014. I’m on my third (I keep upgrading). Tried the Apple Watch 2, but it was so inaccurate measuring distance. It always said I ran further than I really did.

Another vote for Garmin. I started out 5 1/2 years ago with a Forerunner 610. It still works good. Just over 3 years ago I got a 920XT since I started doing some sprint triathlons. Working towards a 70.3 so I needed the longer battery life.

And Garmin's are endorsed by Panda's across the globe. :lmao:

Depends on what you're looking for...personally I think of FitBit as being primarily a fitness tracker, primarily for steps and sleep tracking, that may happen to have smart features and GPS.

Garmins I think are primarily GPS watches, generally thought of as the gold standard for running watches, that also have step/sleep tracking and smart features.

Check out DCRainmaker for detailed reviews of whatever you're looking at!

Definitely Garmin. I just saw an image of Strava data that showed 8 of the top 10 GPS watches used for certain marathons were all Garmin. The only other “watches” to break the top 10 was the Strava iPhone app and TomTom. The first Fitbit found was the Surge at #35.

I have and love the Apple Watch for day to day use, but when it comes time to run, I put my Garmin watch on.

I view this conversation the same as the Android vs iPhone conversation. The actual device itself is a small part of the decision, what you are really deciding on is the platform. Garmin as a device I feel is the best for endurance activities between the two but if you are looking for an overall fitness tracker the bigger question than "which watch to buy" is "which platform do you want to be tied to". I like the Garmin platform and it can by synced with a lot of other endurance sports platforms but I do think Fitbit is a bit more flexible with other lifestyle based platforms from what I've been reading. I noticed this when looking into smart scales. It appeared that the only one that ties directly into the Garmin ecosystem is the Garmin scale while a lot of other options tied into Fitbit. There is a work around for that but it shouldn't be necessary.

All that being said I do like the Garmin platform and plan to stay in it.

Garmin for a running watch - the platform is great for sharing.
Suggest looking at eBay for older 230/235

Garmin for sure! I've loved tracking my workouts, looking at the maps, etc. It has a great battery life. I actually wear it all the time.

I went with Fitbit for activity tracking for several years, a Charge HR and then a Blaze. I like them for what they are but I want a bit more functionality in my daily-wear item, so I went to Android Wear. (Currently a Misfit Vapor, which...I can vent about elsewhere if somebody wants. Decent watch, horrible charger.)

I went to a Garmin for a run tracker a few months back, and really like it. I like the built-in GPS, which feels considerably more accurate than phone GPS ever did. I started with a 35, which I handed down to my wife and got a 235. The screens are clear and easy to read while running, the GPS feels spot-on, and the Strava sync seems pretty solid.

I don't think I'd want a Garmin as a daily-wear, but I really like them for running.

I started with a refurbished Garmin Forerunner 15. It lasted two years before the strap broke. Rather than replace the strap, I upgraded to a refurbished 235. The Garmin platform is great.

Looking for additional info/suggestions beyond what has already been shared in this thread...

I have worn a Fitbit (few years) and now a Garmin Vivofit3 (for the past 3 years) to track my daily steps and sleep time. I really enjoy having that data and it suits me well for what I want. However, I would like a watch to more accurately track my running. Garmin would be the best for me. However, I am worried about still receiving accurate step/sleep data and battery life. Any recommendations on the best device out there for my situation?

I'm happy to provide more info if anyone needs it to make a proper recommendation.

Looking for additional info/suggestions beyond what has already been shared in this thread...

I have worn a Fitbit (few years) and now a Garmin Vivofit3 (for the past 3 years) to track my daily steps and sleep time. I really enjoy having that data and it suits me well for what I want. However, I would like a watch to more accurately track my running. Garmin would be the best for me. However, I am worried about still receiving accurate step/sleep data and battery life. Any recommendations on the best device out there for my situation?

I'm happy to provide more info if anyone needs it to make a proper recommendation.

I would suggest the VivoActive 3. It is both a GPS sports watch and fitness tracker. The accuracy should match the VivoFit as it likely uses much of the same code and it adds a heart rate which will get you a more accurate calorie burned count. The battery life is pretty good and I've gone a few days without charging it. I wear mine 24/7 with the exception of when I shower and that short charge during the shower can get it from the 40% range to 100%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter