• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Garden Tea Room Being Replaced?

Amunet

DIS Veteran
So the Garden Tea Room at the Grand Floridian is STILL not open :( I'd love to know if anyone has insight as to why but, perhaps, does anyone think it may be because of the new Cake Bake Shop restaurant will be offering afternoon tea? I mean, it's not even open yet but, perhaps that's why Disney never brought afternoon tea back?

I've sent a few emails to Disney already supporting the re-opening of the Garden Tea room but I don't think it does much help.

Any news, thoughts?

Disney is probably also still having difficulty hiring enough people to staff a "luxury" restaurant like that one, too. CRT only just got back princesses other than Cinderella.

It's easy not to consider how many people simply had to find restaurant jobs elsewhere during the shutdown and may have become less inclined to return to or apply at WDW.

No great hurry to reopen a restaurant that may well draw fewer patrons anyway due to fears of a recession.

I expect 1900 Park Fare to reopen before GVTR.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. More likely that the lobby is set to be renovated pretty soon and it doesn't make sense to reopen only to close it again shortly after.
Oh, I haven't hear of an upcoming remodel, is that soon?

December Disney Parks Blog shared "The ongoing renovation (at GF) will also include an upcoming refurbishment of the lobby, which will maintain the classic theming you know and love with some fresh new enhancements."

1900 Park Fare is also not open so perhaps they are both part of the renovation.

AND in same announcement they discussed the new Cake Bake Shop at Boardwalk. It will be offering Afternoon Teas. This is one of their menus from other location: https://thecakebakeshop.com/pages/broad-ripple-menu#tea Do they need two locations offering afternoon tea?

I really hope this reopens once the lobby renovation is done. Late Spring start makes sense and hopefully done in time for the holidays.... Wish they had a tea room at the UK pavilion in Epcot! I love a good afternoon tea.
I completely agree about the UK Pavilion! There was a little afternoon tea service at the Rose and Crown for a bit.

Huh, well I hope it's finished by October cause that's when I'll be there

My sister and I did a tea class at the Rose and Crown that included information on the history of tea and tea service with sandwiches, scones, etc. It was great (I am not a tea drinker but I do love afternoon tea service). Instead of the UK Mary Poppins teacup ride idea that was scrapped, how about a tea room hosted by Mary Poppins? Less expensive to build and I'm guessing that it would be a hit.

I'd love a cottage near R&C for British character meet 'n' greets--Mary Poppins, Alice, Mad Hatter, Pooh and Friends.

Wouldn't necessarily have to include a tea room, but one serving tea with scones, pasties, etc. would be even better.

I've never understood why the Twining's shop wasn't paired with a tea room.

I do hope it opens again at some point. That was actually the only advance ADR I ever made, a must do for me every trip. I'm not sure if the one at the cake shop will be in its own space, the space at GF was one of the things that made it special. I don't want to have high tea in a big crowded room.

I've never understood why the Twining's shop wasn't paired with a tea roroom.
Right?! It makes sense to serve teas from the shop so people would buy it of they like it.

I do hope it opens again at some point. That was actually the only advance ADR I ever made, a must do for me every trip. I'm not sure if the one at the cake shop will be in its own space, the space at GF was one of the things that made it special. I don't want to have high tea in a big crowded room.
Same! The only reservation I would make on arrival day, it was a beautiful and tasty "Welcome Home!"

I think it comes down to staffing and possibly supply issues.

Because with the new bakery opening at the Boardwalk many said it would help alleviate stress and now more reservations will be open

I keep wondering if it'll reopen (it's my favourite spot in Disney and was my wedding meal when I was married there in 2004) with the new Cake Shop opening on the Boardwalk that will be having afternoon teas.

We’re staying at the Floridian in August and were hoping to attend afternoon tea. Our backup plan is to just make tea for ourselves in our villa.

I will always cherish the memory of dragging DH for tea...and us getting scolded for brewing it too long! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter