Galaxy S8? iPhone 7? Help me pick out my next phone :)

I went to the Verizon store to take a look at the Samsung. It’s so pretty!! Ahhh!!!

I figure I’ll be out around $300 if I buy the galaxy 8 as I will have to pay $250 plus money for chargers and new apps.

I’m realizing my biggest issue is just boredom. It seems so boring to get the exact same phone. My current iPhone does work great though and I do like it.

I’m leaning towards just getting another 6s w/the additional memory. It will cost next to nothing, I know I like the phone, it still has a headphone jack. But the biggest reason is because Apple still supports super old iPhones and given that I have two kids using phones and I like to give them my hand-me-down phone I want them to last. I’ve done a lot of reading that suggests that Samsung doesn’t always support software on older phones.

I by far prefer Siri. I just find that she (HAH - a machine, a she!) responds better to my voice :)

So my goof of a husband asked Siri which phone I should get. “She” responded, “I’m partial to Apple myself”. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
So my goof of a husband asked Siri which phone I should get. “She” responsed, “I’m partial to Apple myself”. :rotfl2:

She's not infallible. I asked her where a decent nearby pizza place was (I live in the UK) and she recommended a place in Seattle. Whoops...

The quick charge on the Galaxy is invaluable. I use the Note 8, had Note 5 before that. My wife has the S7. We both are very satisfied.

I love the Samsung Galaxy S8. my 2 kids just chose those as well when their phones died. All of us like the customization better than the iphone and I think it's better when it comes to picture taking.

My husband is the only one left in the house with an Iphone and he's got the 7. He's happy with it. I think it all depends on how much you want to pay and if you care about customizing your phone more.

None of us have ever cared for using Siri or any of the other things like that.

I can do that with Siri too. I was talking about if you do it manually.
I have a widget on the home page of my Note 5 (had it on previous androids). The widget shows time, temp, and battery level. I have it programmed so if I press the clock, it takes me to the alarm settings. One tap.

I would take the Samsung and it's not even close in my mind. First reason is that you can expand storage. That's huge for someone like me who has tons of music. Speaking of music, one of the Iphones (7 I think) has this special aux chord that goes into it's lightning port. Well, my wife has this phone, and she has had TONS of issues with it. She teaches fitness classes with music, and it will randomly cut out, to the point I had to buy a bluetooth auxiliary chord just so she knew she would not have issues. Iphone has a smaller battery, and S8 is better waterproofed, and has wireless charging built in.

No clue about Samsung but as a long time IPhone owner, I'd never buy more than one generation older than most recent release.

I did in the end decide on the Samsung Galaxy S8. I watched quite a few videos, got advice. The main reasons for my decisions:

• Bigger screen (keep in mind plus is not an option for me) and the picture is nicer.
  • More memory and its expandable (My only iPhone option was a 32gb only, I know most won't have these limitations)
  • Ability to multitask on screen. There are many times I wish my iPhone could do this.
  • Is waterproof AND continues to have a headphone jack. People can say blue-tooth is the way of the future but cordless earbuds bug me and I like the sound from attached headphones better.
  • Wireless charging
It was interesting. Most people I talked to who won't leave iPhone never have had an Andriod phone. Most people I talked to who have had an Android and Iphone preferred Andriod. At Thanksgiving every single one of our younger Counsins, in their 20's, have Androids and love them

I feel I've made the right decision because I'm actually excited to get my new phone. I've never had an Andriod so it will be interesting. There will be a learning curve I'm sure. I'll try to come back and post thoughts in case anyone else is interested. I'm really hoping I will like it because it seems there are a lot more Andriod based devices on the market vs. being stuck only with Apple products. I never got an iWatch as I find them kind of ugly but maybe one day I'll find I like the more streamlined smart watches out there under the Andriod platform.

Thanks again for the insight and help!!

I did in the end decide on the Samsung Galaxy S8. I watched quite a few videos, got advice. The main reasons for my decisions:

• Bigger screen (keep in mind plus is not an option for me) and the picture is nicer.
  • More memory and its expandable (My only iPhone option was a 32gb only, I know most won't have these limitations)
  • Ability to multitask on screen. There are many times I wish my iPhone could do this.
  • Is waterproof AND continues to have a headphone jack. People can say blue-tooth is the way of the future but cordless earbuds bug me and I like the sound from attached headphones better.
  • Wireless charging
It was interesting. Most people I talked to who won't leave iPhone never have had an Andriod phone. Most people I talked to who have had an Android and Iphone preferred Andriod. At Thanksgiving every single one of our younger Counsins, in their 20's, have Androids and love them

I feel I've made the right decision because I'm actually excited to get my new phone. I've never had an Andriod so it will be interesting. There will be a learning curve I'm sure. I'll try to come back and post thoughts in case anyone else is interested. I'm really hoping I will like it because it seems there are a lot more Andriod based devices on the market vs. being stuck only with Apple products. I never got an iWatch as I find them kind of ugly but maybe one day I'll find I like the more streamlined smart watches out there under the Andriod platform.

Have fun! From your list, I don't think you could have made a bad choice!

I have owned every model galaxy and loved all but the 5. I have zero interest in iPhone.

A story about my s6- It had a white back on it (no protective case, the phone was just white). One day, when a snow storm was blowing in, I went out back with my daughter to play and take photos. My phone must have fallen out of my coat pocket and landed face down. By the time I realized what had happened, the ground was covered in several inches of white powder. I searched for hours but couldn't find it. So I gave up and waited for the 18 inches of snow to melt. 5 days later, the snow melted enough to find my phone. I picked it up, shook the water out of it quickly, plugged it in, and she started right up and worked perfectly for another year. Her final demise happened in Florida, I dropped her off my stroller in the disney parks and cracked her screen, then went to the beach with her. Sand got down under the glass and that was all she wrotd.

Samsungs are tough little phones.

Ugh, I need to actually go to the store and see the size of the 8 vs. x. I love the newest tech, but I hate the decision making process. I will say my 6s has been my favorite phone since I got the original iphone back in 2007. Good luck! I hate deciding, but I won't move away from iphones.

Have you compared the size yet? I just got my X a few days ago and I love it!!! I cannot believe how incredibly fast it is, especially checking my email. I thought I wouldn't like the size, as I have always preferred smaller phones, but it isn't much larger than my 6, and I actually think that it is more comfortable to hold than my 6. I was really worried about getting it over the 8 but I am so glad that I did. Only 'issue' I have had is that I have needed to Google how to fully power it off, and how to take a screen shot, since the home button was removed.

Have you compared the size yet? I just got my X a few days ago and I love it!!! I cannot believe how incredibly fast it is, especially checking my email. I thought I wouldn't like the size, as I have always preferred smaller phones, but it isn't much larger than my 6, and I actually think that it is more comfortable to hold than my 6. I was really worried about getting it over the 8 but I am so glad that I did. Only 'issue' I have had is that I have needed to Google how to fully power it off, and how to take a screen shot, since the home button was removed.

Thanks for the awesome review. That's pretty much what I had decided. I promised I'd go with my folks and we'd all get upgraded at the same time and we haven't all had the time at once when the store was open. Hopefully tomorrow! My parents are very tech-savy, but they like encouragement at the point of acquisition. It will be before they leave on Thursday for out of state tennis championship, so SOON! Now I'm extra looking forward to it!

• Wireless charging

Good choice. Enjoy.

Most people I talked to who have had an Android and Iphone preferred Andriod.
I have found that to be pretty true here also.

I would sooooo help you pick out your phone but my oldest DS just picked out mine (I think that Galaxy 7). I told him I just want a phone that takes really good pics of the grandkids and I can text my friends and family. He rolled his eyes and I'm getting the new phone Tuesday with strict instructions of NOT touching it 'til Christmas!! :teeth: :santa:

Last edited:
Getting my iPhone X tomorrow... how can I say no?

OP: If it's not too late, have you considered a Google Pixel? Good phones those.

Getting my iPhone X tomorrow... how can I say no?

OP: If it's not too late, have you considered a Google Pixel? Good phones those.

Sadly a Google Pixel was not a work approved option and since they only require me to pay $20 a month for full personal use of the phone it is worth it to me to stick with thier approved list. They also pay for most of the device so I can’t really complain. Only the 5 phones from my original post were options.

I did look at the Google Pixel in store, it’s a nice looking phone indeed.

Not sure that anyone cares but figured I'd post a review. I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S8 and am so glad I did. I've never had anything but an Apple and now I'm not sure I'd be able to go back. There is only one thing I miss and that is being able to text my 7 year old on his ipad, but I had him download an app and we were fine. On the Samsung I really like being able to split the screen. I use the snip-it function all the time. For instance if I have a conference call and there is a long access code I can snip the code and leave it at the top of my screen so I can see it on the phone screen when I'm dialing. I love being able to apply themes on the phone. There are some great widgets that make my life easier. I use the edge swipe feature a lot. I love, love that I can add an SD card to add memory and really like that I still have a headphone port. Wireless charging has made my life easier and I like seeing the time on the lock screen. So anyway, I'm very happy with my decision. I hope this helps anyone debating phones. I appreciate everyone's advice :)

Pixel 2. It's the best phone I've ever had, battery awesome, best camera phone I have ever seen.

Previously, I had an S7 Edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter