Galaxy S8? iPhone 7? Help me pick out my next phone :)

ForMyBoys

DIS Veteran
Hi All, To start I have limited options so it makes the process a bit easier. My work covers the cost of my service but in return they limit the type of phone I can choose from. I only have 5 choices.
  • iPhone SE<-- I've ruled this out already
  • iPhone 6s- 32GB <-- I currently already have this model, but I have a 16GB. Cost for me to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB- 0.99 cents
  • iPhone 7- 32GB <-- Cost to upgrade is $99.99
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 <-- Cost to upgrade is $99.99
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 <-- Cost to upgrade is $249.99
I am not tied to needing an iPhone. I'd like the better phone. Opinions, thoughts, WWYD?

I prefer iPhones, but the seem more expensive to me. Samsungs are fine phones too. IMO, you can't lose from that list :)

Just went through this myself. Had an iPhone 6 and was debating between the S8, the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 7 with 128gb of storage. I’m a long time iPhone user and my son felt strongly that I should get the S8 because he’s a Samsung user. But it came down to storage and cost for me, so went with the 7.

BUT if I had to do it again, I’d probably go with the S8. Something new with more customization would have been nice.

There’s nothing different between my old 6 and my new 7 other than an annoying home button and lots more storage space.

Just went through this myself. Had an iPhone 6 and was debating between the S8, the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 7 with 128gb of storage. I’m a long time iPhone user and my son felt strongly that I should get the S8 because he’s a Samsung user. But it came down to storage and cost for me, so went with the 7.

BUT if I had to do it again, I’d probably go with the S8. Something new with more customization would have been nice.

There’s nothing different between my old 6 and my new 7 other than an annoying home button and lots more storage space.

So that does help. I’d rather not pay $99 for not much difference. So between Apple 7 and 6s I think I’d beer towards 6s for only 0.99 cents. I also like having the headphone jack.

But Samsung seems so cool. I like the infinity display and love the idea of wireless charging. Plus external storage.

So that does help. I’d rather not pay $99 for not much difference. So between Apple 7 and 6s I think I’d beer towards 6s for only 0.99 cents. I also like having the headphone jack.

But Samsung seems so cool. I like the infinity display and love the idea of wireless charging. Plus external storage.

They are nice phones. There’s just a learning curve. My son moved from an iPhone 6 to a S7 edge and he says he will never go back to iPhone. He likes the customization.

I like my iPhone 7 because it does what I need it to do, and I know how to use it. DS17 just switched to a Galaxy S8 and he loves it. He wasn't a fan of the iphone. If it helps any, he got a 64GB and your price listed is a heck of a lot less than we paid.

Last edited:
If I could afford it, I'd go for an iPhone X in a beat. But I can't :(

So for me I think it’s coming down to memory. On my current iPhone I’ve had lots of issues with only 16GB. I pay monthly for more cloud storage and still can’t fit all the apps I want. 32GB will def be better, but 64GB and expandable!!! I’m leaning that way.

If I could afford it, I'd go for an iPhone X in a beat. But I can't :(

If I could get an X here for same price or a bit more then the S8 I’d absolutely go for the X. But alas it’s not an option and don’t see that happening for some time. They seem to be about a year behind. I was actually surprised to see the S8 as an option.

I have to say, I'm stuck in the past with my iPhone SE in rose gold... it does everything I need sharpish - 4G, 64GB storage (not huge but enough), fingerprint recognition, Apple Pay, Facebook, banking, FaceTime AND it syncs with my laptop seamlessly for music, movies, photos and notes :) And to top it off, it tallies up with my iCloud account and has a retina display, plus the usual plethora of Apple apps!

And I just bought it - no contract, I just pay for what I use!

iphonese-gallery2-2016_GEO_US

My opinion if you have a droid now get the Galaxy 8. If you are an iPhone person get the iPhone 7 or 8. Everyone I know who switched platforms has regretting it.

Personally, I’d stay with the iPhone. I find that it takes 10 touches on a Samsung to do what I can do in 3 on my iPhone.

Personally, I’d stay with the iPhone. I find that it takes 10 touches on a Samsung to do what I can do in 3 on my iPhone.

Hi! Which Samsung do you have and could you give a few examples? I’ve spent some time watching speed test videos and both the iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S8 seemed quite comparable. But I’d like some real world feedback. I’m not sure if you use your phone for different things than me. Thanks!

Ugh, I need to actually go to the store and see the size of the 8 vs. x. I love the newest tech, but I hate the decision making process. I will say my 6s has been my favorite phone since I got the original iphone back in 2007. Good luck! I hate deciding, but I won't move away from iphones.

Hi! Which Samsung do you have and could you give a few examples? I’ve spent some time watching speed test videos and both the iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S8 seemed quite comparable. But I’d like some real world feedback. I’m not sure if you use your phone for different things than me. Thanks!

I have an iPhone and my husband has a galaxy something lol

if I have to make a call on his phone I find there’s a few more steps than with my phone. Also, some of the settings seem to take longer too. Oh, and setting an alarm too. I avoid his phone as much as possible lol

I have an iPhone and my husband has a galaxy something lol

if I have to make a call on his phone I find there’s a few more steps than with my phone. Also, some of the settings seem to take longer too. Oh, and setting an alarm too. I avoid his phone as much as possible lol

To set an alarm on my Samsung s7 I just say 'Ok Google set my alarm for xxx' done

I by far prefer Siri. I just find that she (HAH - a machine, a she!) responds better to my voice :)

Cortana on Windows 10 I have had zero luck with.

I have to say, I'm stuck in the past with my iPhone SE in rose gold... it does everything I need sharpish - 4G, 64GB storage (not huge but enough), fingerprint recognition, Apple Pay, Facebook, banking, FaceTime AND it syncs with my laptop seamlessly for music, movies, photos and notes :) And to top it off, it tallies up with my iCloud account and has a retina display, plus the usual plethora of Apple apps!

And I just bought it - no contract, I just pay for what I use!

iphonese-gallery2-2016_GEO_US

I have the exact same phone and love it. I don't care for the bigger phones. The size of the SE is perfect for me, and I can't complain about the price. OP, why did you rule out the SE?

I have the exact same phone and love it. I don't care for the bigger phones. The size of the SE is perfect for me, and I can't complain about the price. OP, why did you rule out the SE?

Hi! I ruled out the SE because the 6s is bigger, but not too big. I don’t want to go smaller. And getting a new 6s with 32G is the same price- 0.99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter