Gabby Petito

I thought that too but I wonder if the K9 handler was thinking at some point the body was not underwater and thus at some point was detectable depending on when the search was. I actually have no idea how good a K9 is when it comes to underwater but my guess is not the best.

Cadaver dogs can detect a body in something like 50 feet of water. They are actually very, very good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2015-09-cadaver-dogs-underwater-corpses.amp

Don’t think it’s really a mystery. ]Not sure they were able to get to close to the area where he was found and there wasn’t much left.
I think what the guy was saying is if his body was there the dogs should have found it assuming training, etc was good. It's either a criticism towards the K9 units and searching of the teams OR it's a way of explaining why his remains weren't located sooner.

As far as there wasn't much left, the partial remains is the condition of his body was at the time of when his remains were physically found. We have no idea how long he has been there, if something accelerated his decomp. No one can say that the condition his body was found in was the same condition it would have been with K9 units in the area. I don't think they've given any sort of timeframe for estimated time of death yet.

They were searching swamps and other bodies of water and wooded areas so it's not like they stayed away from harsher terrain. According to the investigation they had "air units, we have drones, we have the swamp buggies, air boats, multiple law enforcement agencies, we have ATVs, we have UTVs and we have officers on foot as well." So they didn't just rely on "on the boots" or even just strictly land. If they saw something from the air or from the boats I would assume they would look more closely into it.

Being underwater at least according to DLgal's post wouldn't hinder the K9 unit just by the nature of the water part (the particular K9 could have been impacted that's a possibility) and the handler quoted does back that up by saying "If the body had been there, when they went by with cadaver dogs, and the body had been there for more than two or three minutes, the odor would have come through the water."

While I wasn't saying it was necessarily a mystery putting it that way there's not any clear understanding of how his remains were missed during the searches which was a topic of discussion or if it wasn't a case of being missed but rather his body wasn't there when they searched over time which was also a topic of discussion.

Yes, I question whether his body was there the whole time. If it’s partial remains, then it’s possible he was elsewhere - and communicating with his parents - and then either killed himself or was killed by wildlife, and his remains quickly stripped of flesh by predators/scavengers. His parents might have worried if they didn’t hear from him for a week, and then went looking in the last place he said he was headed. Dead bodies will also float for a time, so it’s just hard to believe that he was dead in that location waaaay back since the beginning and yet still wasn’t found long ago.

Cadaver dogs can detect a body in something like 50 feet of water. They are actually very, very good.

If I were to guess how a dog missed him, I'd think the reason was that the odor was lost because there was a lot of other carrion around.
A swamp in summertime always smells very strongly of death and decay, and if it is alligator habitat, it will be 10X worse (alligators in the wild stink of rotten meat like you would not believe. When I was a kid that is how I was taught to know if one was near the house -- the stink. (My Dad hunted them for the leather back before that became illegal.)

The thing is, alligators tend to find dogs prime prey, so I'd almost wonder how likely it would be for a valuable cadaver dog to be used in a known gator habitat. I would think that they would keep those dogs away from the water if there was any risk.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/with-b...e-authorities-could-look-for-answers/38044893
"An autopsy of Laundrie's remains came back inconclusive, an attorney for the family said Sunday."

"Brian Laundrie's autopsy has not provided a manner or cause of death and his remains are now being transferred to an anthropologist," attorney Steven Bertolino told CNN."

Regarding his belongings found:
"Investigators last week recovered personal items including a backpack and notebook along with Laundrie's remains. A source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN the notebook is "possibly salvageable." And experts say that could offer more insight.

Those items will likely be taken to an FBI lab where there are "experts who really spend their careers doing things like drying out paper evidence, trying to recover the writing and the ink marks and potentially fingerprints and all sorts of other potentially relevant pieces of evidence from an article just like this," former FBI Deputy Director and CNN senior law enforcement analyst Andrew McCabe told CNN on Thursday."

Not that I expected much to come out of the autopsy because of the description partial remains but still a bummer to have that outcome.

If I were to guess how a dog missed him, I'd think the reason was that the odor was lost because there was a lot of other carrion around.
A swamp in summertime always smells very strongly of death and decay, and if it is alligator habitat, it will be 10X worse (alligators in the wild stink of rotten meat like you would not believe. When I was a kid that is how I was taught to know if one was near the house -- the stink. (My Dad hunted them for the leather back before that became illegal.)
I think alligator hunting is legal now. Still - not sure it would be all that profitable given that there are alligator farms all over these days.

But yeah - there gotta be so much stuff in the swamps that are going to smell like death.

I doubt he told them he left her on the side of the road. He could’ve made up any story that would be believable.

Exactly. All he had to saw was she made other arrangements and told me to take the van home, she'll come get it whenever she is back in town. In their position I would have likely just said "ok then" and never gave it another thought, especially if I knew it was my kid that did most of the driving.

Exactly. All he had to saw was she made other arrangements and told me to take the van home, she'll come get it whenever she is back in town. In their position I would have likely just said "ok then" and never gave it another thought, especially if I knew it was my kid that did most of the driving.

You wouldn’t give it another thought right then, but once her parents started calling? Once it made the news? I think most people would revisit the story their kid had told them.

You wouldn’t give it another thought right then, but once her parents started calling? Once it made the news? I think most people would revisit the story their kid had told them.
Most would revisit discussion with great concern and some compassion for GP's family. But sadly some would not.

Most would revisit discussion with great concern and some compassion for GP's family. But sadly some would not.

You would also then be faced with deciding if your own kid was lying to you (with no evidence, just gut feeling) and then if you DID decide he might be lying, be willing to go to authorities and say "I have no proof, but I think he's involved with her disappearance". In order to make that decision, you must be willing to suffer the repercussions if your kid was actually telling the truth (something you are clinging to with every fiber of your being, no matter the odds of it actually being true). A truly horrible set of decisions to make. So they got a lawyer and followed that advice.

It's terrible on every level. Perhaps it will come out that his parents knew and still didn't assist the investigation (along with his disappearance, etc) or maybe it'll come out that they went thru hell as well and then lost their son to boot.

I think they did give it another thought which is why they hired a lawyer, who instructed them not to say anything. She was reported missing on tbe 11th, he was dead by the 14th.

Did anyone see report when mother brought car home, she was wearing sweat jacket, mask, and hat and investigators mistook him for son. Which is part of reason they lost their tracking of him. They did not know if she tried intentionally tried to look like him.

And they probably did which is why they immediately contacted an attorney and stopped talking to the press...both good ideas in general especially if what you kid told you could get them in legal trouble.

I think it's also important to remember, even if Brian had told the parents he killed Gabby and even IF they had told police that, I don't know that the police could act just on that information alone. They could question him, but he could still plead the 5th and hire a lawyer. They would need evidence or probable cause to actually arrest him unless he turned HIMSELF in. He was not a child. They can't just legally take the parents at their word. Her body wasn't discovered until the 19th and Brian took off on the 14th. Until the 19th, there was no actual evidence of a crime committed and by then, Brian was probably already dead.

I mean, they had that theft crime, but that didn't come into play immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter