• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fundraising Ideas for Disney World Performance?

To the original poster

Make sure that the girls really want to go and that this is something they need to do. It sounds like they are all really busy -- fundraising of any kind takes time.

In addition, I am guessing you will have a hard time raising every cent you need. Will the parents contribute anything?

I'm not sure what type of group it is but what about a Bake Sale? I know it sounds corny but if it's like a studio you always have people coming and going. People waiting for people to be done and waiting for their classes to start. A dollar an item isn't really that much and would keep things simple, most people have a dollar or two on them at all times. Plus a quick batch of brownies is something the kids could make and everyone could have a specific day. If it's a school it could be a booth during lunch, always very popular.

Also you could ask your kids to be helpful around the community. Ask people they know if they could do small jobs for a donation. Spring is here and I know people are starting to clean up their gardens and mowing the lawn. This would be something all kids could do no matter where they lived, and stress the importance of knowing the person you are helping and having adult supervision. I know my sister-in-law did odd jobs at her mom's school for some fundraiser for school.

Good luck getting everything together so you can go! :cool1:

i hope this is not too forward, but OP could you tell me the approximate cost per student?

my dd's high school choir was also selected to sing at DTD but the cost was a little too high in my opinion (wed to sat, fly in/out of laguardia, resort, park ticket, some meals = $880/student) and very few students signed up, so we got our deposits back this week... dd was incredibly disappointed (and i am for her also)...

Not the OP here, but the cost for my son was 1,150.00. This included a bus ride from NH, seven nights with six kids to a room, extra security at night, a day at Universal, four days at Disney parks and some meals, but not all, we needed to give him extra money for some meals. It was a lot of money, but for us it was worth every penny. Like I said earlier, we hope that my younger son will go on the trip next year. Sorry that your daughters trip didnt work out.....

Just thought I would point out that this group is trying to go on this trip in 3 months. Figuring that this trip is easily $1,200 per person and they have 22 people going expecting to raise over 26,000 in 3 months is pretty lofty. Selling candy and having bakesales might get you park tickets for 22, but you are going to need a massive fundraiser with some sort of great prize, but since you are starting so late and you aren't looking for funds for a charitable organizations I don't think your goals are reasonable.

We went in January, it was $699 per person. That was 5 nights at ASMU, airfare from MSP (which is never cheap) and 4 day one park per day tickets.

Restaurant nights...find restaurants that donate part of their proceeds from a day or night for people who identify themselves as being with your group.

Applebee's does a pancake breakfast for this purpose.

I was going to mention this, as well. My cousins' sports teams do very well with the flapjack breakfast fundraiser at Applebees. It only takes a few hours of their time and the ticket prices are very reasonable. We are always willing to pay $5/ticket for the breakfast and it only takes a few hours of their time. No elaborate planning involved. Just selling the tickets.

So I am going to be the wet blanket. Fundraising or asking for donations should be for a charitable cause, not to fund your own personal vacation.

Disney is a business and you have to give them credit for this great marketing idea. They "select" groups from across the country and ask them to perfom a time or two on some random stage, in return they pay you nothing and don't pay for your expenses. WDW gets free entertainment for the parks, park admission fees, food fees and lodging to line their own pockets all for "honoring" your group. They use these honors to lure people to spend money at their parks.

ITA...I am of an opinion that if kids really want to fund raise for vacations - they should be doing real work. Like, for example, raking leaves in neighborhoods and other similar 'real hard work' type things. I do not agree with the raffle calendar things (that the adults setup and the kids actually do no real work besides just selling the tickets to family members). Bottle/can drives - good for the environment and a lot of actual work.

Just doing a show....well - maybe it's a lot of work for the kids, I would need to know what kind of show - are they creating all the sets/creating all the marketing literature and copying it and distributing it/sewing/creating all the costumes? So maybe I would agree with this type of fundraiser, it would depend if they're doing the legwork and back and arm work behind the scenes or just showing up and singing a tune...

And I agree too about Disney's brilliant marketing - same thing with 'qualifying' for entry into their cheerleading tournaments! It is not like it's the top teams - they want everyone to come on down to spend their money!

thanks all who chimed in on cost... i guess the costs were not as out of line as i thought... thanks! and there's always next year!

So I am going to be the wet blanket. Fundraising or asking for donations should be for a charitable cause, not to fund your own personal vacation.

Disney is a business and you have to give them credit for this great marketing idea. They "select" groups from across the country and ask them to perfom a time or two on some random stage, in return they pay you nothing and don't pay for your expenses. WDW gets free entertainment for the parks, park admission fees, food fees and lodging to line their own pockets all for "honoring" your group. They use these honors to lure people to spend money at their parks.

This is interesting. I honestly did not know this but wondered how the different groups got there to perform.

As for the donating, I wouldn't be helping as I stick to the charities that truly need the help not the ones trying to get a vacation out of the deal.

This May/June our group was selected to perform in Downtown Disney. A group of 22 of us will be going down for 9 days to tour the parks, take a workshop and do 2 performances. Our goal is to raise enough to cover all expenses for the trip (including food) which we did last year.

- we have done what seems like 3 million Talent Shows to raise money and I think our fans are "talent showed out"Does anyone have any great fundraising ideas that the kids could do individually? Or something that we could gather the kids for but would be a quick something that would bring big crowds to support?

Thanks so much for your help!!

So a 9 day vacation for 22 people- that's a lot of money. It also sounds like maybe you've exhausted your contibutors. I recently started a thread about fundraising letters. I'm not a fan of these but it was one of the methods used by the local children's theater when they were "selected" to perform at Disney last year. I have to say though, that I didn't contribute. I firmly believe that in this (or any economy) my charitable dollars should not be used to pay for other's vacations.

To call these trips a "study tour" is really suspect. The whole trip is a fundraiser for Disney. Our High School band, orchestra, and choir have also been "selected" in recent years when they requested selection.

Ok, wow, so I didn't expect that many responses! Thanks everyone! I'll address most of them but I wanted to start out with this one since I felt it took over the theme of the thread.

First off, as I said in my OP, we are a professional company, meaning most of our kids get paid to perform-- like on Broadway (we even have several ex-American Girls in our group, 2 real life Addys, 2 Kirstens and a Kit!). So, that being said, we FULLY understand the racket that Disney has created with this program and how much they gain from it. However, as most posters have said, the money involved totally is outshined by the experience that is presented for these kids. Kids who get paid to perform understand what they are getting themselves into and so do our audiences. However, the opportunity to travel to another state, perform for an audience who does not know us, maybe knows nothing about theater, and who has never seen us before is immeasurable.

Also, there are a few perks. They know us and our caliber of talent and created more challenging material for us at the workshops. They promised us this year they would even up the program to really push the kids further. These are kids who will be performing at the parks one day, and through this program they have met tons of Disney staff including those who cast shows.

Lastly and most importantly, our program is FREE so not only do we work with incredible talent, but we work with many kids who would not otherwise be able to afford this experience. One of our performers who is one of our most talented has never been on a plane!!!

These kids are working toward a real career and will go off to top BFA programs in top universities and work on Broadway, at Disney, in films and TV. Many of them already are. This a step they have chosen to take to help them and they all agreed that last year's trip was 100% worth it.

We know what we are getting into, but we have decided as a group that it is 100% worth it and a not to be missed opportunity. Also, no one is forced to donate. Those who can't, don't!

Thank you though, honestly, for providing this aspect of the performances. Though we think about it and consider it, I think other groups don't and just get lured into it when its not really worth it for them. I think its worth bringing to the table.

Ihope they have a wonderful time-I am sure they will!
When I was in High School my pom team was selected to perform at WDW as well and it is one of my fondest memories.

One thing I did really appreciate about the way we did fundraising was that it was not just divided equally among all the girls, each person had their own account and their direct fundraising efforts went into working on their specific bill. So let's say 15 girls worked a car wash one weekend and it raised $300, each of those specific girls would get $20 for their bill. This really helped keep things fair and make sure the work one girl did was credited to her.

Once we had all of our "bill" paid off we could help others with theirs. If a girl did not have her total worked off then she or her parents had to pay for the rest. Knowing that you were getting credit only when you did the work helped keep us all motivated!

I remember we did a lot of car washes! I know you said there is a lot of distance between the homes so maybe you could have 2 or 3 on the same day in different areas. We also sold candy (the $1 bars that are probably more than $1 now!)

Another easy thing would be to get wrapped Hershey bars at a wholesale food place (like Costco, Sam's, etc.) and have the teammates do cute wrappers for them for Easter on the computer and resell them in front of a grocery store as a fundraiser.

Ok, this is EXACTLY what we are doing!! We did this last year and it worked really really well. We also gave the top 3 fundraisers at trip to the TONY's which was donated from a parent. It was AMAZING and just as educational of an experience as the WDW trip.

How about selling candy bars? My friends son is selling gift cards. He is in the school band. I guess each month they place an order. The school gets a small percent back on the sale. I guess this is an ongoing fundraiser since my friend has ask if I need any gift cards for the next 4 years to get them through her

One of the girls last year did this to contribute at her school and made almost $1000. It's a great way for the kids to make money and some kids are doing that this year to contribute. Thanks!

Restaurant nights...find restaurants that donate part of their proceeds from a day or night for people who identify themselves as being with your group.

Applebee's does a pancake breakfast for this purpose.

One of the kids did this last year and made a few hundred dollars for the trip. I thought it was a great idea and it got his friends and family together to see him before he went on the trip! He may do it again this year.

I don't think you are a wet blanket - in the current economic state of our country - DH and I are feeling more and more this way. We try to support groups that "Need" money for basics in life rather than wants now.

I do feel that performances would be the best way to do this. Why don't you hold it in a new venue - since your group lives in such a wide range of area and rather than be a talent show - why not be the performance you would do in WDW?

I think if you read my response to the Wet Blanket post, you might understand a bit more where we are coming from. Though this is a bit of a luxury for the kids, many of them have no luxuries and can barely afford the 2.25 subway fare to our rehearsals- and these are professional level performers.

As for the performance idea- we did that last year (our WDW performance in NYC) and it was a GREAT success. We plan to do it this year twice!

:thumbsup2 Not a "wet blanket" at all, simply very logical. If Disney wants them to perform then why do they not give them at least free accomodations and the free DDP? Giving money to a group of kids and parents so that they can tour Disney, do the parks and eat for free for NINE DAYS is not my idea of "charitable causes" and would not think kindly of anyone asking me for money so they can go on vacation because that is what it is at the end of the day. Most people I know plan and save for their vacation for a very long time (think coupons, change jars, selling stuff etc.) They do not ask other people to fund it. Just MHO.:)

Again, read the response to the Wet Blanket post. It may help you to understand where we are coming from. And by all means no one is forced to contribute. If they don't agree, we don't make them. However, there is huge support for our group because of the level of talent and the amount of kids we have on Broadway (including recent Mary Poppins and Lion King kids). People really support getting the kids "out there" to develop their talents in new venues and since we are a FREE organization they know how many kids would really benefit from this.

On the subject of coupons, change and selling stuff, the kids do just that! The clip coupons, collect change, sell stuff, and we work for a full year tirelessly (each child, parent, staff member) to put together this trip. This winter, we did a full production of Annie and the proceeds went all to the trip! It was a lot of work and a lot of hours donated by all of us!

I think this is a great idea. I used to volunteer for a feline rescue group and we did a donation yard sale. Lots of people donated things then we held the sale and did really well.

I for one would gladly donate things and come to the sale (if you were in my area). I will not buy candy bars, wrapping paper etc I just don't want any more 'stuff'. Also with fundraisers like that the group isn't getting all or even most of the $$ so for me a yard sale where all of the profits are going directly to the cause makes more sense.

This is a good idea. Though the kids are very spread out (they travel far to perform in NYC), there are clusters of kids that could maybe work together and do these on the weekends! If only they had a free weekend away from rehearsal... I will pass this on!

i hope this is not too forward, but OP could you tell me the approximate cost per student?

my dd's high school choir was also selected to sing at DTD but the cost was a little too high in my opinion (wed to sat, fly in/out of laguardia, resort, park ticket, some meals = $880/student) and very few students signed up, so we got our deposits back this week... dd was incredibly disappointed (and i am for her also)...

Hi! So, we are lucky because we get time share properties donated. So it brings our costs down. But with rehearsal space rental (we are not a school, but a training company), costumes, van rental, gas, etc. it does bring the costs up. We are at about $700 per person, plus $300 for food, which we are planning to fundraise (we did it last year) because we have kids coming from lower income families who can't afford the cost. The $700 covers:

$315 from LGA to MCO, rehearsal space, 8 day park hoppers, costumes, gas, van rental, parking and the one workshop we take

The food covers 2 meals per day at the parks and we do 2-3 ADRs (on the lower end). We also buy snacks and breakfast (cereal, etc. for the time share)

To the original poster

Make sure that the girls really want to go and that this is something they need to do. It sounds like they are all really busy -- fundraising of any kind takes time.

In addition, I am guessing you will have a hard time raising every cent you need. Will the parents contribute anything?

We have been fundraising for about 6 months already and we did it last year. The kids are DYING to go and working really hard (you have no idea). We are getting REALLY close to our minimum goal but we are just hoping to raise enough to cover food since we have kids who can't afford food.

I'm not sure what type of group it is but what about a Bake Sale? I know it sounds corny but if it's like a studio you always have people coming and going. People waiting for people to be done and waiting for their classes to start. A dollar an item isn't really that much and would keep things simple, most people have a dollar or two on them at all times. Plus a quick batch of brownies is something the kids could make and everyone could have a specific day. If it's a school it could be a booth during lunch, always very popular.

Also you could ask your kids to be helpful around the community. Ask people they know if they could do small jobs for a donation. Spring is here and I know people are starting to clean up their gardens and mowing the lawn. This would be something all kids could do no matter where they lived, and stress the importance of knowing the person you are helping and having adult supervision. I know my sister-in-law did odd jobs at her mom's school for some fundraiser for school.

Good luck getting everything together so you can go! :cool1:

We have done some fundraisers, and you would be surprised how much they help and how much little amounts ($100 here and there) really add up! I haven't thought about the odd jobs, but I know some kids are babysitting and then donating that to the trip.

Just thought I would point out that this group is trying to go on this trip in 3 months. Figuring that this trip is easily $1,200 per person and they have 22 people going expecting to raise over 26,000 in 3 months is pretty lofty. Selling candy and having bakesales might get you park tickets for 22, but you are going to need a massive fundraiser with some sort of great prize, but since you are starting so late and you aren't looking for funds for a charitable organizations I don't think your goals are reasonable.

You are a little over, but close. Our trip is about $15,500 without food at $22,000 with all food covered (we get lodging donated). We have been fundraising for a few months raised about $13,000, so we seem to be right on track. We'll have the $15,500 soon (and early) and then just be working to either bring food costs down or comp food for the kids since we work with several lower income kids who can't afford food at the parks. We did it last year and we are way ahead of where we were then, so I am pretty confident.

I just don't want to rest-- I am working hard for this trip and so are the kids. A few staff members are going and we want to be sure we contribute our fair share. I am always looking for new ideas!

We have several LARGE fundraisers and our top 3 fundraisers for the whole thing get a trip to the TONY awards which is a pretty frickin amazing prize in my opinion- LOL. Last year was amazing AND educational. Our first and biggest fundraiser raised about $7000 in one shot!

ITA...I am of an opinion that if kids really want to fund raise for vacations - they should be doing real work. Like, for example, raking leaves in neighborhoods and other similar 'real hard work' type things. I do not agree with the raffle calendar things (that the adults setup and the kids actually do no real work besides just selling the tickets to family members). Bottle/can drives - good for the environment and a lot of actual work.

Just doing a show....well - maybe it's a lot of work for the kids, I would need to know what kind of show - are they creating all the sets/creating all the marketing literature and copying it and distributing it/sewing/creating all the costumes? So maybe I would agree with this type of fundraiser, it would depend if they're doing the legwork and back and arm work behind the scenes or just showing up and singing a tune...

And I agree too about Disney's brilliant marketing - same thing with 'qualifying' for entry into their cheerleading tournaments! It is not like it's the top teams - they want everyone to come on down to spend their money!

Many of the kids work- yard sales, yard work, baby sitting, etc. to fundraise. They also put together (without adult help) talent shows and other big fundraisers. We did a BIG production of Annie over Winter Break where all the high schooler sacrificed their entire winter break for grueling long 8+ hour rehearsal days to learn the entire play in just 8 days. They even came in during the big NYC blizzard! They also had to teach and mentor the young orphans, learn all of their choreography, give them notes and work with them one on one. It was a great success!!

I agree that they should work hard and I agree that they aren't always selecting top groups for these (I have stalked the youtubes) but our group IS a top group, and that's all that matters to us. We don't care who else is performing. We're just glad for the opportunity.

So a 9 day vacation for 22 people- that's a lot of money. It also sounds like maybe you've exhausted your contibutors. I recently started a thread about fundraising letters. I'm not a fan of these but it was one of the methods used by the local children's theater when they were "selected" to perform at Disney last year. I have to say though, that I didn't contribute. I firmly believe that in this (or any economy) my charitable dollars should not be used to pay for other's vacations.

To call these trips a "study tour" is really suspect. The whole trip is a fundraiser for Disney. Our High School band, orchestra, and choir have also been "selected" in recent years when they requested selection.

I think if you check out the response I had to the 'wet blanket' post you'll understand better where we are coming from. We really are a unique group. There aren't a lot of other groups like this anywhere in the country. Because these kids are all on the performance career track (not just hobby) it really is a "study tour" and yes, I know its also a luxury, but many of our kids come from lower income families and this is a vacation they will NEVER have without this trip. One of our students will be boarding a plane for the first time. I often supply my students with the $2.25 subway fare to get home from rehearsal- otherwise they would be stranded. So not only do they learn, but they are rewarded for the hard work they have done through the year and the joy they have brought to the NYC community. People are beyond happy to donate because we have provided them a service throughout the year with our musicals.

We do a fundraising letter and it is very helpful. This is a great suggestion and one that I would pass on to anyone. Thanks :)

All the more reason for them to pay for their own vacation.

The ones who can afford to get really amazing donations from their own families to help pay for their share and other kids. But we do have kids who come from low income families and literally can't afford the $2.25 subway fare. One student will be on a plane for the first time. We are a FREE program so we service a very diverse background (economic and otherwise)

Yes, performing at WDW is a great experience, but you have to explain to me why others should be paying for your vacation? 8 day park hoppers sounds like an excessively long vacation to ask others for donations. If this was really about performing you wouldn't be spending the majority of your time touring the parks.

I watched your audition video and your kids are good, but there are thousands of other "good" show choirs out there. Sure you have kids who have performed on Broadway, but sorry to say the kid in Chicago doesn't live driving distance to Broadway and hence their kid doesn't get that opportunity.

Giving your child experiences is your burden to bear. If you are selling something of value others may purchase it, but selling items above actual retail value and calling it a donation is ridiculous.

Your kid performs, other kids are talented with math and science and one day are likely to be astronauts. It would be a 'great experience' for those math and science kids to spend the summer at space camp. Should we all start saying they are deserving of donation dollars? These kids may one day be the inventor of a life saving technological discovery in 20 years.

Your kid performs, other kids are talented with math and science and one day are likely to be astronauts. It would be a 'great experience' for those math and science kids to spend the summer at space camp. Should we all start saying they are deserving of donation dollars? These kids may one day be the inventor of a life saving technological discovery in 20 years.

What a great idea! I'd love to help kids who excel in math and science reach their dreams! Just like helping bands go to band camp or cheerleaders go to cheer camp.

This thread is so strange to me. The beauty of donations and funding is you get to choose who you help. I understand if you can't or won't donate. That's no problem. My question was about ideas to help the kids fundraise.

Choirs go abroad. Cheerleaders go to cheer camp. Bands perform all over. These groups fundraise.

You have the right to say 'no' and they have the right to a good car wash! Lol

This thread is so strange to me. The beauty of donations and funding is you get to choose who you help. I understand if you can't or won't donate. That's no problem. My question was about ideas to help the kids fundraise.

Choirs go abroad. Cheerleaders go to cheer camp. Bands perform all over. These groups fundraise.

Two things trouble me about your group, though. First, you live in NYC yet are seeking funds to travel to WDW. Really?? You live in the city with undeniably the MOST opportunities for these kids. Second, it's nine days- two performances and what usually is a half day workshop and then a long vacation.

I don't donate to any of the other groups listed either. I was invited to a fundraiser today for the local high school band's trip to Hawaii. I declined. My children have been on study tours to NYC and WDW among other places. We paid as we realized that the "study" portion was minimal. It was really a fun vacation for the kids.

My DD will spend her 3rd summer studying ballet for 5 weeks. I will spend my 3rd Summer teaching Summer school so that she can take advantage of this opportunity. I will not ask others to fund her enrichment. Her trip will be 5 1/2 days a week of ballet with Sundays off for fun so much more training and much less vacationing than your trip to WDW.

Honestly, Since you are a talented performing group, it would seem that performing would be the best fundraisers for you.

Donations are a word that should really only be associated with charitable organizations. Asking others to fund your week's vacation is called panhandling. As stated, if you want to go to WDW get a JOB! Kids are very industrious and can earn money: rake leaves, mow grass, wash windows, babysit, sweep floors, haul trash, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter