Frozen Ever After LIVE reports!

I was going off my own knowledge, which is that several of my friends (who are CMs) chose to go to the park and ride yesterday. I don't know that they waited 5 hours, but I honestly would have back when I was a CM, if I wasn't working that day.

The first week Gringotts opened, I waited 3.5 hours because I am a gigantic Harry Potter fan and wanted to be one of the first to experience the ride. I wouldn't wait for 45 minutes for TSMM on a normal day, but it's fun to be one of the first.

I am sure it was a ton of people for whom they wanted to say they went on day one or am just huge fans, etc.

Plus, for example, Ryno from the DIS team was there and waiting 6 hours in the end ... but I am pretty sure he wouldn't have waited for 6 hours if it wasn't opening day and he wasn't tweeting out and reporting on the ride for the DIS

The FP line would have been banked up 2 hours because the ride was down for at least 1.5 hours according to in park reports in this thread.
But even by that math, if the ride had not broken down, then the FP line would have absorbed all of the ride capacity for the day. IF the two 1.5 hour stoppage caused a 1.5 hour FP line, then no stoppage would have caused no backup. But the FP people would have been using up all the seats at a 1:1 pace.

I just watched the Kenny the Pirate ride through video (since I won't be going back to WDW for quite some time) and I have to say the ride looks great. Lots of good details. Love that first opening scene as you come around the corner and Olaf is there to greet you. The Elsa scene where the boat goes backwards looked great also. Overall it looks like they have a solid attraction on their hands as long as they keep everything in the ride up and running. Was disappointed to see they didn't extend the track, so no idea why it took them almost two years to finish the project.

So based on these experiences I am going to change my SE and MS FPs so that they are before my FEA FP. That way, if we end up waiting 2 hours to use our FEA FP on Saturday, I won't lose my other two FPs. I only hope now that my 4:30 FEA FP gets us out in time for our 7:30 Via Napoli reservation!:crazy::joker:

I don't think it's an Opening Day issue either so much as it is an issue of the preplanning aspect of the FP+ system. With legacy FP, if a ride went down, FP distribution stopped until the ride was functioning again. With FP+, the full day's worth of FP+s are distributed (specifically for this ride, yesterday) well in advance of the actual day. Stopping the distribution while the ride is down would lessen the stress on the FP line when the line re-opened, as there would not be as many people who had FPs for times during the breakdown returning to use their FP. All of the FP+ for the day distributed in advance, combined with it being Opening Day and people wanting to ride the brand new attraction (and thus not likely to take their anytime FP and go use it elsewhere) - I think added up to one big line disaster for Disney. But with their FP+ system, I'm not sure how they can combat that effect with such a hugely popular ride like this will be for quite some time. The FP+s will continue to distribute fully before the day of...and people will still be clamoring to ride this for quite some time...and, as you said, it's not like the ride is going to somehow be 100% functioning all the time...no ride at Disney ever is.

Exactly this. I've been saying since FP+ rolled out that this was a potential issue for FP+ and we saw it in spades yesterday.

Does the ride have a drop/is it scary in any way? I haven't ridden Maelstrom in YEARS, but I remember there being a drop and as a little kid, I was traumatized.

I had a fast pass today at 1:00 pm and the ride went down several times. Disney came out with boxes of chips, popcorn and bottles of water and was passing it out to people in line. It took me 2 hours to get thru with a fastpass.

At least they learned from prior experience not to try to sell stuff to people in a long line because things didn't operate properly in the parks.

Does the ride have a drop/is it scary in any way? I haven't ridden Maelstrom in YEARS, but I remember there being a drop and as a little kid, I was traumatized.
I was wondering the same thing. My son was also traumatized by the Maelstrom drop (we didn't know about it in advance), and if it is still there we won't ride this.

We were unable to get a FP yesterday and we fly out today. We kept a watch on the ride all day. Earlier we could have stayed in a 200 min. line but chose not too (I think it went down shortly after and standby would not have been good). Later they were either broken down or closed to standby. We opted to enjoy MK and then returned to Epcot for evening EMH And primarily for FEA. They still weren't letting standby people ride between 7-9:50. We rode Soarin, TT and Nemo then I noticed FEA came back up on the app with a 50 min wait. We walk/ran from Mission Space to Norway and right a swe walked up they were closing the line. Something about capacity and the time remaining for the night. It literally opened for minutes then line closed. We begged someone (the line closed seconds in front of us) and told them we fly out today, etc. and a manager let us through. A couple other families who had earlier FP and/or who waited earlier were also allowed but that was it. We were through the line and back outside Norway at 10:40. I imagine the last person was off right before 11.

On the bright side....we were able to ride! It was cute and we all enjoyed it. The boat hits a few spots and is bumpy or jars you a bit. Our bottoms were wet too (we rode in front) if you set on outside. All the animatronics worked and score great! Not much of a cohesive story though. If you have the option I would wait hrs for it though.

Anybody else troubled by this? It is one thing to chalk up a humungous wait to the fact of Opening Day. But if the ride cannot even handle all of the FP capacity, that spells trouble. That is not an Opening Day issue, as I suspect that they did not distribute any more FPs than they would have on a normal day. I suppose it might be the case that the extraordinay Standby line caused downward pressure that made the FP line back up. But fairly early in the afternoon, they eliminated the Standby option and the FP line was still 1-2 hours long. Will your Magic Band even allow you through if you are that late for your arrival? And what happens with your other FPs for the day? Can you talk your way past the CMs guarding the FP posts by telling them that you are two hours late for your Nemo FP because you had to wait 1.5 hours to use your FEA FP? And the problem can't be blamed solely on operational stoppages throughout the day, because those are daily (or almost daily) occurrences at WDW. It's not as if one can say: "Once FEA no longer has stoppages, this will all clear up." Rides at WDW are never free of stoppages. And the total time of stoppage can't account for a 1.5 to 2 hour backup of FP users, can it? It may very well be that the old Maelstrom ridethrough capacity (which always sucked), plus FP+ (which allows for far greater FP distribution), plus the extraordinary popularity of this ride, might have combined to create Disney's first "FP Only" attraction.

The only thing we can possibly blame on opening day is the breakdowns which lead to the back ups, but even if it was opening day issues, wasn't Maelstrom not the most reliable ride ever? All that's changed is the effects, which are more advanced and much more noticeable if they malfunction. I still maintain that Maelstrom was an awful choice to turn into what potentially will be one of the most popular attractions on property. Frozen and Epcot both desperately needed a high capacity and reliable attraction, and that's not what this is.

Don't know if you had a chance to see any of the ride-through videos, but it appears to have the same backwards move and drop that Maelstrom had.

I was wondering the same thing. My son was also traumatized by the Maelstrom drop (we didn't know about it in advance), and if it is still there we won't ride this.
This is a great comparison video of the two rides side by side (two screens):
(Obviously contains spoilers for the new ride). If you go to right around 3 minutes into the video you can see the drops on both rides. It appears that part hasn't changed much.

I am excited by this ride! I never went on Malestorm. Does anyone know of this ride takes wheelchairs? I don't want to get my hopes up then realise like POC i can't ride it. The boats where I have to get out of my chair are no good. The sides are too high for me to climb in. My hips are fused. Jungle cruise and IASW are the coolest. They are kind enough to have this cool boat that takes a wheelchair!

I am excited by this ride! I never went on Malestorm. Does anyone know of this ride takes wheelchairs? I don't want to get my hopes up then realise like POC i can't ride it. The boats where I have to get out of my chair are no good. The sides are too high for me to climb in. My hips are fused. Jungle cruise and IASW are the coolest. They are kind enough to have this cool boat that takes a wheelchair!

I do not recall a wheelchair accessible boat on Maelstrom and I doubt there is one on FEA either. Like POTC, FEA has a (small) drop so I am not sure that would be deemed safe. iasw is all flat water so the wheelchair can be loaded.

The only thing we can possibly blame on opening day is the breakdowns which lead to the back ups, but even if it was opening day issues, wasn't Maelstrom not the most reliable ride ever? All that's changed is the effects, which are more advanced and much more noticeable if they malfunction. I still maintain that Maelstrom was an awful choice to turn into what potentially will be one of the most popular attractions on property. Frozen and Epcot both desperately needed a high capacity and reliable attraction, and that's not what this is.
That's exactly how I see it. Maelstrom was down almost as much as Test Track. But it didn't matter all that much. If FEA has the same track record, (pun intended), this is going to get messy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter