Frizzy Hair Help!

maciec

AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
For the past 2 months or so (maybe longer, but I just really started noticing) my new hair that is growing in is coarse and frizzy. I have tried a deep conditioner, but it hasn't helped. I thought I had dry hair but really I see no breakage. I had a baby 20 months ago and I think this is new hair thats coming in because it's so short. I just don't understand what this is and I really can't find any answers.

Has anyone had this happen or have any remedies or answers? HELP! I want it to go away!

My girls and I have various levels of curliness and we are embarking on the Curly Girl method. Basically cutting out sulfates and silicones, along with various methods of keeping hair healthy (and curly, if desired). Using a leave in conditioner, and using a tshirt ot tea towel to dry...reg towels can make it frizz...Many co-wash which is using conditioner instead of shampoo, you just have to scrub more. Most shampoos have sulfates but Loreal has a sulfate free line. Not sure if any of this will help you, but they have the curl talk forum in which to ask hair questions.

bjscheel said:
My girls and I have various levels of curliness and we are embarking on the Curly Girl method. Basically cutting out sulfates and silicones, along with various methods of keeping hair healthy (and curly, if desired). Using a leave in conditioner, and using a tshirt ot tea towel to dry...reg towels can make it frizz...Many co-wash which is using conditioner instead of shampoo, you just have to scrub more. Most shampoos have sulfates but Loreal has a sulfate free line. Not sure if any of this will help you, but they have the curl talk forum in which to ask hair questions.

Some of my post is missing. I was talking about naturallycurly.com. Even if your hair is straight the methods and forums are useful.

Thanks! It's not really even curly it's just, well frankly, coming in looking like a Brillo pad. Feels like one too! I think I'm going to try and take Pre natal vitamins again and see if that helps. I think I need to increase my water intake as well. I'm just grasping at straws that it might be a vitamin or other diet deficiency.

Oh, that is common after having a baby! When women are pregnant, we don't shed our hair - that is why it is so thick and shiny during pregnancy! Then we go through telogen effluvium - basically, a HUGE shedding cycle after we have that baby (hormones tell our body it is OK to let go of all that hair we never shed during that 9 month cycle).
Now, at about 20 months out - your having a lot of baby hairs growing back in, which are probably sticking up. Sometimes they grow in with a slightly different texture. Sometimes as the hair gets a little more length, if it had a bit of wave or curl, the length helps straighten that out.

Surgery, stress, childbirth - those can all cause a massive shedding of hair. But pregnancy is known to cause hair NOT to shed during that time of pregnancy and then a period of massive shedding after you give birth to that baby often occurs. I remember my husband told me he thought he could make a new wife out of all the hair he found in the bathroom, the hairbrush, the pillow! Then I had all those little baby hairs growing in. I used a little pomade, like Davine's Polishing Coat for Wizard's, to help smooth them down at my hair parting line.

http://www.drugstore.com/davines-no-10-universal-polishing-coat-for-wizards/qxp324955

Sounds totally bizarre, but for the last 14 years I have been using a spritz of tanning oil (just a tiny bit) to get my hair calm and shiny after brushing/before straightening.

sorry about the lighting. I took it with my phone
B15E0B98-B9DE-4BFB-BB55-9FBA7CD987E8-2208-00000226BDAF8FC8.jpg
[/IMG]

As was mentioned above- my hair has never looked better than when I use loreal sulphate free nourishing masks. They work great for my frizzy hair.

Thanks ladies! I will try the Loreal. At this point I will try anything - even the suntan oil lol!

Keep an eye out on groupon for a keratin treatment! Awesome and cuts down on drying and styling time. I've never paid full price for one, I just do groupons.

My hair got frizzed with each child. Aveda Smooth infusion. Lifesaver. (or is it hair saver?)

Once the hair grows longer it will probably smooth down. In the mean time- frizzy hair happens when the hair has no moisture in it. That is why it frizzes. You need a super moisture shampoo and conditioner. I have to be honest- I tried the sulfate free shampoos (expensive ones) and they dried my hair out so badly. My newest cheap beauty find is suave hemectant shampoo and conditioner. It works better than a lot of high end shampoos. It is only about $2.49 a bottle but I swear it works so well. Don't use too much conditioner or your hair will be greasy. Good luck!

I haven't used shampoo on my hair for years. I am allergic to soap--and that means shampoo as well. I recently started using no-poo: water and baking soda. I rinse very well and then use a vinegar rinse. My hair is soft and shiny. I also have curly hair and when I want it straighter, I use a tiny (smaller than a pea) sized bit of pure coconut oil. Rub it in your hands really well to liquefy it and then run your hands through your hair (make sure to get the scalp as well.)

I also make my own lip balm and lotion. Both of them are very simple--only 3 ingredients each (not the same ingredients.) I had trouble with my skin for years and years and now it is smooth and blemish free.

bjscheel said:

Dd14has been doing curly girl for about a year, me for about a month. No shampoo, just sulfate free and silicone free conditioner-Suave is perfect and cheap. I just condition each day or every other day. No extra scrubbing necessary. I thought for sure I would be greasy or something but my hair looks great.

I second the idea of a Keratin Treatment. I've been getting them for the past two years and I love the results. They make my hair smooth, straight and shiny. It's very straight right after the treatment, but it gets some body to it after a few washings. My stylist does two kinds - a full treatment that lasts 12 weeks (you can't wash your hair for three days afterward), and an express treatment (you can wash your hair 8 hours later) that lasts about 7 weeks. I've been getting the express treatments for $100. Lately, I've been getting them about every 12 weeks. Since the Keratin has built up in my hair, my stylist said the results are lasting longer and I don't need to get them as often. You need to use sulfate-free shampoo to preserve the keratin, and swimming in chlorine or salt water will affect it.

Thanks! It's not really even curly it's just, well frankly, coming in looking like a Brillo pad. Feels like one too! I think I'm going to try and take Pre natal vitamins again and see if that helps. I think I need to increase my water intake as well. I'm just grasping at straws that it might be a vitamin or other diet deficiency.

You could have developed a thyroid problem along with all the changes of childbirth.

My hair used to be stick straight, now it's frizzy & wavy because of thyroid problems. I've been co-washing, as other people mentioned. But, I recently had to get a few inches cut off as the bottom has become so frizzy in spite of the co-washing. I looked like I had Hermione Granger's hair! :eek:

While at the salon, the stylist rubbed on Kerastase's Oleo-Relax Serum afterward. It is a leave on serum. My hair is once again soft, sleek & straight! :thumbsup2

Here is the review at makeupalley.com for the rub/leave on Kerastase's Oleo-Relax Serum:
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/itemid=17161/oleo

Amazon's reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Kerastase-Nutritive-Oleo-Relax-Serum-Ounces/dp/B000BIXP5S

ALL the Kerastase products are super expensive, but, they do stuff to my hair that no other products do. This is like the third product of Kerastase that I've used.

Their conditioner treatment, the Aqua-Oleo or Oleo-Fusion is fantastic. But, I usually don't find the time to do this which is why my hair ends up so dry & frizzy. You HAVE to leave it on about 20 minutes so it fully penetrates the hair, then rinse. It always makes my hair super soft, shiny, and like newly grown hair again. You can usually only get Kerastase products at more high-end salons or search on-line for it. They will not be at cheap drugstores.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=1/pagesize=15/ItemID=42251/

I realized I have to stop trying to find a cheap alternative to the Kerastase products when I run out. My hair never comes out the same as when this stuff in on or conditioned with it and I end up with damaged, un-repairable hair that needs to be cut off. :(

I would speak to my MD about doing some blood tests for thyroid problems. That can cause dry hair.

Use a very gentle shampoo....I might even try baby shampoo.

What I have been doing for my recently turned coarser hair...
I have "salt & pepper" hair. The "salt" is quite dry and coarse. I bought argon oil. I found it near the conditioners in the store. I believe the one I purchased is made by the line of hair care called "Aussie". It's in a blue & brown bottle & I think it cost $5.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

This stuff is amazing! After my shower.I gently blot my hair so it's not dripping wet. Put a dime-sized amount of this stuff on my hands, rub my hands together to distribute it over my hands and then rub my hands through my hair.

I have been doing this for about a week and people have been commenting on how nice and shiny smooth my hair looks. It doesn't leave it greasy, just shiny-looking and smoother.

Also, buy a vitamin specially formulated for hair, skin & nails. My sister-in-law used this after her chemo was over (on the advice of her oncology team) and her hair grew back in beautifully!

Check the ingredient list of your shampoo to make sure it's sulfate free, those are salts that make shampoos lather up but they also roughen up hair and dry it out. You'll get your hair much softer and healthier if you change over to sulfate free shampoos, try the ones from the pro naturals hair care system. They're online at beyas.ca, they have all these argan oil hair repair products you might want to try out. If I were you I would get the argan oil, that stuff helps damaged hair soooo much! I used it like a month ago and my hair is really soft and healthy now. It's not even greasy, you put some on after a shower and leave it.

I would speak to my MD about doing some blood tests for thyroid problems. That can cause dry hair.

Use a very gentle shampoo....I might even try baby shampoo.

What I have been doing for my recently turned coarser hair...
I have "salt & pepper" hair. The "salt" is quite dry and coarse. I bought argon oil. I found it near the conditioners in the store. I believe the one I purchased is made by the line of hair care called "Aussie". It's in a blue & brown bottle & I think it cost $5.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

This stuff is amazing! After my shower.I gently blot my hair so it's not dripping wet. Put a dime-sized amount of this stuff on my hands, rub my hands together to distribute it over my hands and then rub my hands through my hair.

I have been doing this for about a week and people have been commenting on how nice and shiny smooth my hair looks. It doesn't leave it greasy, just shiny-looking and smoother.

Also, buy a vitamin specially formulated for hair, skin & nails. My sister-in-law used this after her chemo was over (on the advice of her oncology team) and her hair grew back in beautifully!

We've always used baby shampoo to help remove color (like Prell! :eek: ) It is gentle on the eyes but less than gentle for your hair. JMHO

You do not need a keratin treatment from the looks of your picture. It truly looks like new growth from your pregnancy. Very common. ::yes:: I'd take the vitamins and use a sulfate free shampoo or a hydrating shampoo/conditioner. Give it time, it'll get better. Make sure you have enough PROTEIN in your diet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter