Freezer Smoothies

ajwolfe

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a recipe for smoothies that they make in bulk and freeze?
My youngest loves smoothies for breakfast and looking for a cheaper way to do them this summer for him without buying those Dole ones that are already made up in the freezer section. Would love if he could just pull them out for breakfast/snack while he's home during the summer and definitely don't want him trying to blend them without me being there. LOL- visions of fruit on the ceiling come to mind.

Do you mean the new Dole ones that you add juice and shake? Or the Danimals type ones you drink? Those kind?, b/c I don't know of any other smoothie products you don't have to blend.

I was referring to the Dole ones you buy and just shake. But I'm looking for a tried and true recipe to make my own fruit smoothie and just freeze in jars. Those Dole ones aren't super cheap. I would make them ahead, blend them and such and just freeze them in serving size portions.

I was referring to the Dole ones you buy and just shake. But I'm looking for a tried and true recipe to make my own fruit smoothie and just freeze in jars. Those Dole ones aren't super cheap. I would make them ahead, blend them and such and just freeze them in serving size portions.

The Dole ones have a lot of ingredients that turn it into smoothie-texture not really easily available to the home cook...this is an example ingredient list from one - Sugar, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicory Root Fiber, Cream, Natural Flavor, Water, Tapioca Starch, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Citrus Fiber, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Yogurt Cultures, Stevia (Natural Sweetener), Locust Bean Gum, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), and Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).

If you look at the ingredients, you'll see a lot of "thickeners" that don't really exist in grocery aisles...I'm not sure you can pull off anything close without a blender...I could be wrong:)...

I blend frozen fruit and apple juice. Usually we drink it right away, but if there is leftover, I freeze it in glass jars.

If he is old enough to not cut himself putting the blender cap (that has blades) on and off, you could get him a Bullet blender made for smoothies. We have one from Costco...it's easy to use and no chance of smoothie on the ceiling.

It's a big plastic mug that you put frozen fruit and liquid in (and there is an obvious max line), then you screw on the cap with the blades, then put the whole thing upside down on the base and push down to blend. While you are blending, there is no possible opening, so no smoothie on the ceiling.

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 8.47.23 PM.png

I make them for breakfast all the time. I've never froze them in bulk, but my go-to recipe is almond milk, spinach (or kale), mixed berries (usually some sort of combo of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), a banana, and maybe some peach or mango if I have some. Delicious!

You can't really make smoothies ahead of time and freeze them. They will freeze rock hard and there is no good way to thaw them. And the texture and taste are terrible once they do thaw.

Buy a Nutribullet. Buy a bunch of frozen fruit (whatever you like). Buy some plain greek yogurt. Buy some juice. Teach your child how to make a smoothie (it's foolproof with the "bullet" because it has a max fill line and it won't explode since you blend it upside down). Throw in about a cup of fruit, a couple spoons of yogurt, add juice to the top of the level of fruit. Blend. Easy peasy.

Do you mean the new Dole ones that you add juice and shake? Or the Danimals type ones you drink? Those kind?, b/c I don't know of any other smoothie products you don't have to blend.

The problem with store bought smoothies.......loaded with sugar

The problem with store bought smoothies.......loaded with sugar

Oh, I agree - when I posted the Dole and shake, I didn't realize that it doesn't seem to actually have any fruit in it (sugar being 1st was obvious, but not sure how they can call it a 2 fruit smoothie, and yet they have no actual fruit in it, til you add the juice). I only make my own smoothies b/c I'm cheap, and I always have excess fruit and yogurt around (since I like to cook with and eat fresh stuff, not canned or frozen, and that doesn't keep quite as long)...

We have two Zoku pop makers... you can put chunks of fruit IN the popsicle. Or you can make creamsicles.

https://www.zokuhome.com/products/triple-quick-pop-maker

If I have to make up a bunch of popsicles, I wrap each one in wax paper and fill up a ziploc carefully with them. Usually I just leave the Zoku blocks in the freezer so there are 6 pops in the freezer at any given time and re-making one takes less than 5 minutes. No more wasted fruit in my house because anything too close to ripe gets tossed in with some yogurt and/or ice cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter