• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Wi-Fi on UK phones

Turn data roaming off as you can incur data charges when you don't realise especially with smart phones.
Turn on WiFi where WiFi is available and it should give you various connections for you to connect too.Im not 100% but in Disney I don't think there's a password but hopefully someone who's used it could clarify this.

Turn data roaming off as you can incur data charges when you don't realise especially with smart phones.
Turn on WiFi where WiFi is available and it should give you various connections for you to connect too.Im not 100% but in Disney I don't think there's a password but hopefully someone who's used it could clarify this.

Yep, turn off data roaming and you're good to go - you'll still get the normal mobile network for calls and texts (but not picture messages as these use the data network), and on goes the wifi.

:goodvibes

We had 2 iphone4 with us in August. Mine is set up not to work abroad (so I have no worries). However DDs new iphone4 was fully set up to work & call (the way she texts I started to panic! I turned off 3G , data roaming and cellular - we sent a few texts costing a total of £3 but saw no other charges on our bill so it worked fine.

We did find the WiFi in Magic Kingdom & Epcot to actually be better than the resort! (CBR)

i have a special SIM to use in the US.

to use the US SIM i have to have data roaming on, but it doesn't matter as i don't have a data package on that SIM.

what an amazing thread, I've got a samsung and would love to use it for data roaming/google mail but am scared of the huge charges. Now I know that i can just take my sim out and be guaranteed safe - yippee :goodvibes: thank you.

what an amazing thread, I've got a samsung and would love to use it for data roaming/google mail but am scared of the huge charges. Now I know that i can just take my sim out and be guaranteed safe - yippee :goodvibes: thank you.

I take it your Samsung is Android-based? This trick will work with all Android phones regardless of manufacturer. Alternatively, the other way if you're worried about losing the SIM is to activate Flight Mode and turn on the Wifi.

:thumbsup2

yes it is android - can't believe I didn't use it last year out of fear :(

Next time you'll be fine! :thumbsup2

I can't stress this enough to anyone that is reading this thread.... if you have ANY internet-connected smartphone running on BB (BlackBerry), iOS (iPhone), Android or Windows:

If you do not have data turned off (or disabled on your tariff), the phone will talk to the internet several times a day. Could be for anything from syncing email to checking for updates. If this happens (and it will) when in the US, you'll get massive data roaming charges. Make sure you turn off packet data / internet access / 3G / HDSPA!!!!

bazzanoid said:

I can't stress this enough to anyone that is reading this thread.... if you have ANY internet-connected smartphone running on BB (BlackBerry), iOS (iPhone), Android or Windows:

If you do not have data turned off (or disabled on your tariff), the phone will talk to the internet several times a day. Could be for anything from syncing email to checking for updates. If this happens (and it will) when in the US, you'll get massive data roaming charges. Make sure you turn off packet data / internet access / 3G / HDSPA!!!!

Fab. I haven't ever taken my smartphone out of fear of the charges, but I never thought of removing the sim and just using wifi...duh. I've recently upgraded to a Galaxy S2 (from a BB) and I was hoping to be able to use the wifi in the parks and also have it as an extra camera. Of course, it now means taking yet another charger ;)

I can't help wondering, having seen the same questions re wi-fi come up again and again, if this is worth an FAQ - WiFi & phones when abroad sticky?

In the advent of technology and the ability to 'I-message', Skype & Facebook message etc back home (or whilst with others in your party in FL) and avoid expensive costs that a little guide to help would not go a miss.

Perhaps some tips on good apps etc... I would be happy to help with iPhone etc.. If some others can assist with android on HTC/Samsung - and some general feedback on useful apps.

After all, we are a technology based community - so helping our fellow dissers in this area only seems appropriate!

Yep, turn off data roaming and you're good to go - you'll still get the normal mobile network for calls and texts (but not picture messages as these use the data network), and on goes the wifi.

The problem is I will probably be too scared to even try and connect to wifi using my iPhone. I really want to try it but I've heard so many stories of phone bills costing people £1000 and more I think I will be too worried to take the chance!

What's packet data/ Internet access/ 3G/ HDSPA? I have an iPhone, I know how to turn off data roaming, do I need to do anything lease I'd I'm brave enough to try to connect to wifi?

Thanks

What's packet data/ Internet access/ 3G/ HDSPA? I have an iPhone, I know how to turn off data roaming, do I need to do anything lease I'd I'm brave enough to try to connect to wifi?

Thanks

Go into Settings > General > Network and turn off Cellular Data. This is the iphone 'language' equivalent of packet data and will prevent the phone connecting to the internet over the mobile networks. All you need to do then is make sure your Wifi is turned on, and away you go :thumbsup2

When connecting up to Disney's wifi network, the Wifi 'name' you want to connect to is Disney-Guest.

Also... The reason i say turn off the mobile data connection entirely is simply because if you're on a carrier that has a US presence, such as T-Mobile, the phones will automatically hook into that network and could assume it is not roaming........ and hey presto, your phone bill will resemble your bill for the holiday!!

Go into Settings > General > Network and turn off Cellular Data. This is the iphone 'language' equivalent of packet data and will prevent the phone connecting to the internet over the mobile networks. All you need to do then is make sure your Wifi is turned on, and away you go :thumbsup2

When connecting up to Disney's wifi network, the Wifi 'name' you want to connect to is Disney-Guest.

Also... The reason i say turn off the mobile data connection entirely is simply because if you're on a carrier that has a US presence, such as T-Mobile, the phones will automatically hook into that network and could assume it is not roaming........ and hey presto, your phone bill will resemble your bill for the holiday

Right! I have Settings > General > Network

Then my IPhone 4 has Enable 3G, Mobile Data, Mobile Data Network (Which has further options if I click on it), Data Roaming, Personal Hotspot, VPN and Wifi (which is connected to my own home wifi).

Apart from Mobile Data Network and Wifi the other options only have the choice of on or off!

Thank you for your help!

This might seem a silly question, (I'm rubbish with technology!) but on my iPhone 4 if I turn it onto aeroplane mode will that turn everything off? I've tested to see if I can get wifi on aeroplane mode and i can. But just wondering if it will turn everything else off? Or should I just manually go through and turn everything but wifi off? Thanks in advance!

Putting it onto airplane mode then just putting the wifi back on is fine.
Don't forget you won't receive any calls/texts though :)

Right! I have Settings > General > Network

Then my IPhone 4 has Enable 3G, Mobile Data, Mobile Data Network (Which has further options if I click on it), Data Roaming, Personal Hotspot, VPN and Wifi (which is connected to my own home wifi).

Apart from Mobile Data Network and Wifi the other options only have the choice of on or off!

Thank you for your help!

Yep, so turn off Enable 3G, which would probably disable the rest of the options, but if it doesn't, turn everything else off apart from Wifi. :thumbsup2

Putting it onto airplane mode then just putting the wifi back on is fine.
Don't forget you won't receive any calls/texts though :)

This.

Here now and wifi has been a bit hit and miss with my phone and keeps asking me to accept the terms and conditions and reconnect.

DD's android shows her as connected but has not allowed her to send or receive a single email or access any online pages since then so buying the phone specifically for the trip was a bit of a waste as it's been sitting in the safe for the last few days now. We tried everything we can think of and all appears to be fine with the settings but it's just not connected as it says it is :confused:

If you have an unlocked handset, you could try buying an international SIM card. A company called Tru Sim seems to get good reviews, and has fairly cheap data usage too. I haven't tried them myself, but thinking about it for next year to use with my Android phone.

I recently went to the States on business, and used the Orange international data bundle - cost me £24 for 30MB of data for a month, which isn't a lot of data, but lasted me for a week of emails and the odd bit of browsing. If I go on holiday for 3 weeks next year as planned, I would need the 150MB monthly package I reckon, and that costs £90 so isn't worth it, which is why I am looking at the Tru Sim card (which works out at £1 for 5MB of data).

I am hoping my new job comes with a decent phone though, then I will use that instead! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter