Free Dinning - not again!

loriandmatt said:
i can't tell you how stressful it was last fall. we couldn't get in anywhere and i was calling weeks in advance. everyplace was booked to the gills with free grubbers.

I was one of the 'free grubbers' last year also. I had already made reservations using my AP and was planning on using my DDE card, but the free dining was too good of a deal to pass up for us. I knew I only had to get a one day base ticket to get the free dining, but because I wasn't planning on renewing my AP this year, chose to get a 7 day MYW (with pluses on it). When I got down there I used my AP and saved my 7 day MYW ticket for this year. Now that free dining has been offered again I just booked another trip (yesterday in fact) getting a one day base ticket this time (and will be using my left over 7 day ticket from last September). I had no trouble getting ADRs last Sept and yesterday I again got all my ADRs with no problem.

I guess I'll be a double 'free grubber'.

Hopefully after 7am today I will also be a 'free grubber' I normally purchase aps, and but this package is going to work out cheaper for our family of 5.

Iam not offended at all bt the term free grubber :sunny: ..Iam sure the OP didn't mean any harm she was making a little joke :wizard: ...I hope I can change my ressie today to free dining.....I'll be a happy grubber!! :teeth:

Windy City Heather said:
I have an AP and a DDE card and I still called and booked my free dining. I made all my ADR's on Saturday and got everything I wanted and even the times I wanted. It is a great offer and I am glad Disney did it again this year.

I do agree online ADR system would be wonderful.

i totally agree!! loved it last year, and we'll love it ahain this year!!!! :cheer2:

Windy City Heather said:
I have an AP and a DDE card and I still called and booked my free dining. I made all my ADR's on Saturday and got everything I wanted and even the times I wanted. It is a great offer and I am glad Disney did it again this year.

I do agree online ADR system would be wonderful.

Could someone explain this in "English" without acronyms?

How do you get "free dining"?

I am happy to report that I will be one of 6 "free grubbers" too in August!!! :cool1: I called at 7 this morning and after 38 minutes we had the free dining! And we are saving almost 2000 dollars!!! :woohoo: I had already made all of our ADRs in anticipation of the offer being made again this year so we are all set!!! :Pinkbounc It was really very easy to switch over. We really like the dining plan to begin with and now that it is free :banana: we really like it!!! :love: :wizard:

loriandmatt said:
for those of us with existing AP's who already have the DDE card, this free dinning frenzy creates havoc.
Ah...now you know how us Floridians felt when Disney opened up the DDE to all passholders, not just the Florida ones. Made things harder for us too. Then they now allow booking ADR's 180 days in advance which pretty much rules out any chance of getting a good restaurant on short notice.
I admit, it does make it tougher, especialy for people who don't have to plan very far in advance, but it's a big money maker for them, so they'll run with it.

Free Grubbers Unite !!!!!

Please, everyone change your ressies and go and take advantage of the free dining. There will be less crowds when we go in December !!!!

Remember people, IT's FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP here - ok firstly - thank you for all the input. secondly and most importantly, yes the "free grubbers" line was not a rip and typed with a bit of humor. trust me, if i had the opertunity i would be grubbin for free too.

Can you change your trip dates for after the free dining ends?
great suggestion WeluvDisney2, but with DS getting older and into more stuff (baseball, scouts, football....the maddness) coupled with the not being able to take him out of school easily anymore (the older they get the harder this is) going during "free grub" season is pretty much our only option. (there, i used "free grub" again. keep your smiles on people. it is a term of affection.)

and interesting point was raised by Windy City Heather
I have an AP and a DDE card and I still called and booked my free dining.
how the heck do ya do that? do you purchase a package with park tickets and not use your APs? i thought the only way to get the free grub was to buy a package that included park tickets. am i missing something here? can i do the free grub dance too?

- lori

Hi loriandmatt! I am sure you will get tons of posts about this, but yes, you too can get the free grub! :teeth: You just need to purchase a package with a one day base ticket for everyone in your party. You then get free dining plan for the length of your stay. You can use your base ticket one day, then use your AP, or add no exp. to the ticket and use it at another time. This is what I did since I have 7 days left on my 10 day pass. Now go forth and get thee some free grub! :goodvibes

ncbyrne said:
Free GRUBBERS!? So what should we do if we have reservations and then WDW offers free dining? Should we not take it? What if they gave free dining options to only AP holders - would you be a grubber? Gee whiz!!
disneyfreakjackie said:
I was also a little offended by that comment also as I will be one of SIX free grubbers this August!!! Made my ADR's long ago in anticipation of this
aubriee said:
I was one of the 'free grubbers' last year also.
magicmouse2 said:
Hopefully after 7am today I will also be a 'free grubber' I normally purchase aps, and but this package is going to work out cheaper for our family of 5.
Tinker74 said:
I am not offended at all bt the term free grubber ..Iam sure the OP didn't mean any harm she was making a little joke ...I hope I can change my ressie today to free dining.....I'll be a happy grubber!!
disgram said:
I am happy to report that I will be one of 6 "free grubbers" too in August!!!
Where's that person who designs DIS t-shirts when you need her? "Free Grubber - and proud of it" maybe superimposed on a photo of a buffet... on lime green shirts, of course!

kittythepoohbear - thank you so much for the explanation. now i am off to do math and figure out if that free grub thing is the best option for my fam.

to all you other free grubbers out there - i might be joining you at the table.

and one more time - no hard feelings and keep your smiles on. i just was frustrated that it generally ends up making more work for me to try and work around it. not blaming anyone for taking the offer though. i don't blame anyone for taking full advantage of any perk that WDW throws out to it's visitors - or any other perk that any other business throws out it it's customers.....i say this as i am on my way to pick up my free ham from the grocery store as a perk for spending gobs of money with them over the last month. No "free stuff" snob here - anything (legal) that helps save a buck is cool.

Edited to include: Oh i get it now....ya'll are taking the "grub" word in the context of:

Grub - to mooch, swindle or beg.

i was using it in the context of:

Grub - food, eats, vittels, chow.

Duh....sorry. didn't get until just now that ya'll were thinking i was referring to those on the free meal plan as moochers. so totally not meant that way. sorry again. Me and my over use of slang.

- lori

- lori

believe it or not-- i am going during the free dining and i was upset BEFORE the promotion! :rotfl: we had sept ressies for a few months now.

DH and I are laid back and like to take one day at a time, but now with the ADRs everyone makes their ressies so far in advance we have to also!! i have this chart thingy all made up- and ressie times and ressie confirmation numbers, i am canceling, i am adding-- my head is spinning! :faint: boy am i glad i had my ADRs before the promotion.

not only am i upset about the ADR's, i chose sept because its supposed to be low crowds-- now with all you free dining people your all gonna be takin up my park space too! :lmao:free grubbin' park hoggers! :rotfl2:

way back when we used to just "walk up" to a t/s restaurant and was able to be seated-- remember those days! ;) now its like a race to the phone on day 180!

its ADR and free grubbin mayhem! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

loriandmatt said:
Edited to include: Oh i get it now....ya'll are taking the "grub" word in the context of:

Grub - to mooch, swindle or beg.

i was using it in the context of:

Grub - food, eats, vittels, chow.

- lori

- lori

Actually I was picturing those horrible white worm things that eat the roots of my husbands perfectly manicured lawn. I swear he'd be less upset if I got a case of the grubs. :lmao:

All is forgiven. :grouphug:

Hey! I'm gonna' be a "free grubber" too. We were already booked for Sept, and were going to use the dining package, now we're just getting it for free and saving about $800 which is fine by me! We would have been making those same ADR's anyway though.

I do hear what you're saying though, we were hoping it wouldn't be too crowded, and now it will probably be up a little because of the plan, but I suppose Disney wouldn't be offering it if it wasn't working for them! I can imagine it must really stink for people who want to make a spur of the moment trip, vacation without a tight schedule or just live close by and want to grub at Disney.

BTW...I like the "free grubbers" term. I thought it was cute!! Good luck and I hope it doesn't get TOO hard to get your ADR's!!

lori...

I got your humor.... :rotfl2:

Anyway, in a weird way, I had a second of that no, not again, feeling. I must have been :crazy:

We had been toying with the idea of going back to WDW, this August. Last year, we had the trip booked, went back and forth about the dining plan and finally decided it was a good deal. We booked it, only to find the plan was then for free. We gave up the AAA discount and off we went. It worked out perfectly, no complaints. When thinking of this years trip, we were thinking to not do the plan - just 'wing it' and eat where we wanted, when we wanted and do more CS. It was a lot of food on the DP, so thought we'd skip it this year. We hadn't made the call to AAA yet and woke up saturday morning to find the DP, for free. My brain went...oh, no. Now, it's flipping the idea back to getting ADR's, where to eat and being a tad more structured than we thought. We weighed out giving up the AAA discount vs. the free plan and we will be ahead of the game, using the free plan. Also, dh likes the idea of not having to think about the food costs and having it all taken care of.

Of course, now I'm excited and totally fine.

laurabelle said:
Well, I didn't think I would be going this year until this wonderful deal came along! :Pinkbounc
I'm really grateful for it...I need some pixie dust! pixiedust:
Here's some for you too! pixiedust:

Me too! I'm soooooooo excited for a trip I definately didn't plan on with out the free dining plan! Can't complain, even if it is busy. It can't be busier than last year: it was my sisters idea to go the week of 4TH OF JULY(not to mention STAR WARS WEEKENDS)! Anything has to be better than that!

tricia.

At the risk of being flamed I must agree with the original post. I mean no offense to any (but am sure some will anyway :sad2: )

First, I totally understand what Disney is trying to do here. Slow time of year=less revenue=less profits. Hey, I know! Give away a little and get more people through the gates. Right? Better to make a little than to lose a little (not saying they lose during this time but obviously they want to boost attendance as they are hoping this will increase revenues)! Right?

I think it is a bad business strategy. Many, many, many books on the subject by some of the most brilliant marketers, business minds, strategists in the country. Offering freebies does NOT equate to increased revenues. You will bring in more bodies but not more dollars...and let's face it folks...that's really what Disney is all about! :smooth:

well it must have worked out for them last year, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it again this year!

tricia.

Okay...I'm reading this thread and all I can keep thinking is...

"Why is Disney doing this promotion?"
Any thoughts? Isn't travel up?
Is it really because of hurricane season?
What are they gaining?

I know, I'm thinking too much but what does Disney gain by free grubbers?
Additional people making plans that weren't going in the first place?
It seems like some were planning on going anyway and counting on this promo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter