Free Dining??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Values and moderates for sure.

It has far more to do with what you eat than where you stay. Our style of eating
  • Breakfast in the room comprised of groceries from Publix,
  • CS for lunch with no desserts,
  • TS for dinner with about half being Signatures (both Dining Plan eligible and ineligible) with appetizers always ordered and desserts rarely ordered,
makes it all but impossible for us to get any benefit out of Free Dining as opposed to a room discount. We would have to change our dining pattern far more than comfort allows to reap the benefit. I'm not going to trade dinners at bluezoo and Il Mulino for dinners at Fulton's and Tutto Italia just so that they can be squeezed into the dining plan.

I know. Which is obviously one of the reasons I personally don't like free dining, lol.

Selfish of me? Maybe. But on the flip side, I think it's a bit selfish for people who normally can't or don't want to pay to eat at a TS restaurant to overcrowd, use up all the ADRs, and make the overall dining experience less pleasant for those people who *are* willing to pay.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what I think. Because you're right...it lures crowds in. Plenty of people "think" free dining is a good deal, so Disney will continue to offer it (as it doesn't cost them much to do so).

Selfish to use a Disney promotion offered? I think your beef is with Disney, not the people who use the free dining plan.

It can be a good deal. If you stay in a value or moderate room with 2 adults and 2 children 10 to 17, it's a great deal. What the dining plan would have cost for 4 is more than the room rate. For only 2 people or in a deluxe, not as good of a deal, a room discount might be better.

Respectfully, I still think this statement is too broad. I've crunched the numbers various ways. A good PIN/discount offer is often a better option. It depends on the type of family and where/how much they would normally eat. (This is especially true since they changed the free dining option to CS for people staying at values.)

As my husband always tells me, just because something's on sale, it isn't always a good deal...especially if you weren't planning on buying it anyway. ;)

Well, this is the way I look at it.

25% at a value during value season when fd is typically offered is $25 off a room per day. I cannot feed my family of four at Disney for $25. So fd = good deal.

30% off a moderate during value season when fd is typically offered is $60 off a room per day. One character meal will typically cost about $100 or more for a family of 4. So fd = good deal.

I agree with your husband that just because something is on sale, it isn't a good deal, but in this case it is. And everybody has to eat right? :)

This post doesn't really belong on the "Theme Park Attractions and Strategy" board. Better on the "Wishing for free dining" board. I know that doesn't really exist yet, but based on the number of these posts, there should be one.

Selfish to use a Disney promotion offered? I think your beef is with Disney, not the people who use the free dining plan.

It can be a good deal. If you stay in a value or moderate room with 2 adults and 2 children 10 to 17, it's a great deal. What the dining plan would have cost for 4 is more than the room rate. For only 2 people or in a deluxe, not as good of a deal, a room discount might be better.

You're right. My beef (no pun intended) is mainly with Disney for offering "free" dining in the first place.

The "selfish" comment was in response to the PP who called me selfish for not liking free dining, lol.

It has far more to do with what you eat than where you stay. Our style of eating
  • TS for dinner with about half being Signatures (both Dining Plan eligible and ineligible) with appetizers always ordered and desserts rarely ordered,
makes it all but impossible for us to get any benefit out of Free Dining as opposed to a room discount. We would have to change our dining pattern far more than comfort allows to reap the benefit. I'm not going to trade dinners at bluezoo and Il Mulino for dinners at Fulton's and Tutto Italia just so that they can be squeezed into the dining plan.

ITA. (Along with almost everything you've been posting lately, lol.)

My family of 6 loves the free dining promo - with that being said, we go to Disney whether they offer it or not and select the Dining Plan. If we stay offsite, we still eat at the TS rest.

It does end up being cheaper for my family than any other promo (but we have never stayed at a deluxe resort so maybe that is the reason why??) I am hoping they continue to offer the Free Dining since my family is going either Sept or Nov 2015. If they don't, being that around that time of year is Value Season, I'm sure Disney will offer something to get people into the parks. With a family of 6 - I'll take any promo I can get :scratchin

If you are a family of four staying at a moderate resort and saving $60 per night off your room, you may still be better off price wise with free dining.

4 CS lunches will run you about $40. Also do you order drinks? Do you treat yourself to any snacks? You'll more then make up the difference with just a few non-signature TS meals even by skipping desserts and paying oop for your appetizers. :goodvibes

If you are a family of four staying at a moderate resort and saving $60 per night off your room, you may still be better off price wise with free dining.

4 CS lunches will run you about $40. Also do you order drinks? Do you treat yourself to any snacks? You'll more then make up the difference with just a few non-signature TS meals even by skipping desserts and paying oop for your appetizers. :goodvibes

The size of the family is certainly impactful. We are three, not four. We drink mostly water at lunch and wine (for the adults) at dinner. So whatever built in cost there is for desserts and soft drinks is largely lost on us. I've done the math. Many times. We cannot make it work. But a 30% discount on a room? Sign me up!

I know. Which is obviously one of the reasons I personally don't like free dining, lol. Selfish of me? Maybe. But on the flip side, I think it's a bit selfish for people who normally can't or don't want to pay to eat at a TS restaurant to overcrowd, use up all the ADRs, and make the overall dining experience less pleasant for those people who *are* willing to pay. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what I think. Because you're right...it lures crowds in. Plenty of people "think" free dining is a good deal, so Disney will continue to offer it (as it doesn't cost them much to do

The size of the family is certainly impactful. We are three, not four. We drink mostly water at lunch and wine (for the adults) at dinner. So whatever built in cost there is for desserts and soft drinks is largely lost on us. I've done the math. Many times. We cannot make it work. But a 30% discount on a room? Sign me up!

I mentioned that fd is a great deal for a family of 4 in a value or moderate. Clearly a room discount may be better for you because you are a family of 3. :goodvibes

Well, this is the way I look at it.

25% at a value during value season when fd is typically offered is $25 off a room per day. I cannot feed my family of four at Disney for $25. So fd = good deal.

30% off a moderate during value season when fd is typically offered is $60 off a room per day. One character meal will typically cost about $100 or more for a family of 4. So fd = good deal.

I agree with your husband that just because something is on sale, it isn't a good deal, but in this case it is. And everybody has to eat right? :)

You're assuming that family of 4 would normally dine at a character meal. Lots of people don't like character meals.

Yes, everyone has to eat, but not everyone eats like you (that probably sounds a lot ruder than I intend it to).

What I mean is, if that family of 4 would normally be content with eating breakfast in their room (cereal bars, peanut butter, etc.) and grabbing simple CS lunches and dinners (i.e. water to drink and no desserts), then the 30% discount or 40% PIN *would* be a better deal for them. They are absolutely saving money by taking the discount over the "free" dining. And if people eat like JimmyV mentioned above (as we do) then it doesn't work for them either.

Free dining apparently works best for your family, but it doesn't for everyone.

You're assuming that family of 4 would normally dine at a character meal. Lots of people don't like character meals.

Yes, everyone has to eat, but not everyone eats like you (that probably sounds a lot ruder than I intend it to).

What I mean is, if that family of 4 would normally be content with eating breakfast in their room (cereal bars, peanut butter, etc.) and grabbing simple CS lunches and dinners (i.e. water to drink and no desserts), then the 30% discount or 40% PIN *would* be a better deal for them. They are absolutely saving money by taking the discount over the "free" dining. And if people eat like JimmyV mentioned above (as we do) then it doesn't work for them either.

Free dining apparently works best for your family, but it doesn't for everyone.

Unless you get a pin or are able to book an awesome bb, I just don't see any discounts beyond 30% for moderates being released to the general public. So your resort savings at a moderate will be about $60.

Grabbing simple CS meals for lunch and dinner for four people will generally cost you more then $60 per day, making fd worth it every single time even if you never order dessert, never buy a drink, never purchase a snack and never use your resort mug.

It doesn't really matter about your eating habits and you don't have to go to character meals or order the most expensive items off the menu to make it a better value then a 30% off room deal.

There is a board for these questions. It is the discounts board, located here http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

I will stay out of the whole I am good enough to eat at TS restaurants, but you aren't because you are on the dining plan argument. :rolleyes:

ETA: Oops! Posted the wrong link. It is corrected now.

I never said anyone wasn't "good enough" to eat at a TS restaurant because they were on the dining plan. I just happen to think that "free" dining is a bad thing. So whatever.

I agree that this is on the wrong board (although I think that it should be on the dining board rather than the discounts board), but I'm not the one who started the thread.

I agree that this is on the wrong board (although I think that it should be on the dining board rather than the discounts board), but I'm not the one who started the thread.

It should be on the "Disney Discount Codes and Rates" board as "free dining" is a discount code. I requested it be moved but don't know it that will happen as this board is so active.

Unless you get a pin or are able to book an awesome bb, I just don't see any discounts beyond 30% for moderates being released to the general public. So your resort savings at a moderate will be about $60.

Grabbing simple CS meals for lunch and dinner for four people will generally cost you more then $60 per day, making fd worth it every single time even if you never order dessert, never buy a drink, never purchase a snack and never use your resort mug.

It doesn't really matter about your eating habits and you don't have to go to character meals or order the most expensive items off the menu to make it a better value then a 30% off room deal.

OK. Let's do the math. (I'm not sure why I am continuing to argue the point other than that I am an attorney who has had a few mimosas for brunch :upsidedow.)

Right now, one night at POR river view during Sept value season is $274.50 (incl tax). A 30% discount would get you a savings of $82.35.

Assume a family of four brings cereal bars, bread, peanut butter with them to eat in the room for breakfast. Assume that they are willing to drink water (in refillable bottles which is a good healthy option) throughout the day. Assume that they are at MK. They can grab nice, filling counter service meals for lunch and dinner at MK for $61.82 total per day incl tax (an adult taco salad, an adult cheeseburger meal, a kids hamburger meal and a kids turkey sandwich for lunch at Pecos Bills PLUS two adult battered fish baskets and one kids macaroni meal and one kids chicken nuggets meal at Columbia Harbor House for dinner.) That's a savings of $20.53 per day (assuming a 30% discount on a mod) over free dining. Over seven days, that's a savings of $143.72.

Now, obviously, the math changes per meal per day, but the ultimate savings is real.

Take a family of 4 staying at a deluxe (eating apps over desserts and throwing in a few signature meals) and the savings increases exponentially.

OK. Let's do the math. (I'm not sure why I am continuing to argue the point other than that I am an attorney who has had a few mimosas for brunch :upsidedow.)

Right now, one night at POR river view during Sept value season is $274.50 (incl tax). A 30% discount would get you a savings of $82.35.

Assume a family of four brings cereal bars, bread, peanut butter with them to eat in the room for breakfast. Assume that they are willing to drink water (in refillable bottles which is a good healthy option) throughout the day. Assume that they are at MK. They can grab nice, filling counter service meals for lunch and dinner at MK for $61.82 total per day incl tax (an adult taco salad, an adult cheeseburger meal, a kids hamburger meal and a kids turkey sandwich for lunch at Pecos Bills PLUS two adult battered fish baskets and one kids macaroni meal and one kids chicken nuggets meal at Columbia Harbor House for dinner.) That's a savings of $20.53 per day (assuming a 30% discount on a mod) over free dining. Over seven days, that's a savings of $143.72.

Now, obviously, the math changes per meal per day, but the ultimate savings is real.

Take a family of 4 staying at a deluxe (eating apps over desserts and throwing in a few signature meals) and the savings increases exponentially.

Well, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to stay at a moderate and choose counter service over table service and you have based it on one of the most expensive room categories, but okay, say that is what you really want to book.....

Are you really never going to order a coffee/milk/soft drink/juice at all?

Are you really never going to treat your family to a snack or dessert?

Plus we always get a milk with our meals and get a fruit bowl/yogurt/muffin when at the Food court as a dessert so we can eat them the next morning at breakfast. That equals additional savings.

I don't see the $21 savings at all. :confused3

Well, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to stay at a moderate and choose counter service over table service and you have based it on one of the most expensive room categories, but okay, say that is what you really want to book.....

Are you really never going to order a coffee/milk/soft drink/juice at all?

Are you really never going to treat your family to a snack or dessert?

Plus we always get a milk with our meals and get a fruit bowl/yogurt/muffin when at the Food court as a dessert so we can eat them the next morning at breakfast. That equals additional savings.

I don't see the $21 savings at all. :confused3

Of course if you are going to do "free dining" it makes more sense to book TS meals over CS meals. That's not the point. The point is that you are not "saving" if you are buying things that you normally wouldn't have bought anyway.

And no. We wouldn't purchase soda over water. We don't drink soda at home (it's gross and unhealthy)...what would we do it at Disney???

And the example is just that...an example. We, for example, always stay at deluxe resorts and don't order TS meals in accordance with the dining plan regulations, so we would gain a *much* greater savings using a discount over the dining plan...no matter how you do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter