Free dining in the fall?

Will you take advantage of free dining this year?

• Yes

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been a Disney Chase cardholder for about 4 years and have yet to receive one email from them on these type of promotions :( I knew about the free dining coming up and was ready to update my reservation @ 8:00cst but is was too late ... everything was gone. I'm wondering had I gotten the email with the code if I could have called and got the FD. I meet all the requirements there is just nothing there.. I even tried moving from POP to another resort....nothing :( I guess next time I know that 8am is way too late.
I still want to know why I do not get notifications through my Disney Chase card though.... Oh well it is what it is.. I plan on having a magical trip..

I got the chase email...

I have dvc and points i'm actually gonna have to bank for the first time in forever (pun intended) so it didn't suit me...but I got it

I haven't accepted it. We're not going to WDW this year. We will spend our vacation money elsewhere. Taking away the full FD from the Mods is the final straw for me. I can't live on QS for 2 weeks (we go for 2 weeks not 4 days) and I'm not paying for the upgrade.

If more people would make this choice they would have to offer a better price.

You folks realize you can vacation somewhere other than WDW right?

First...

You made the right, intelligent choice. The product isn't of value so you're not accepting it...

And yes...the reduction of the dining plan proves this is a gimmick at this point...and gimmicks only work for small percentages of the customers...

Second,
You're advice is legit...other places to vacation...but my question is: why does it have to be two weeks?

First of all, that's Einstein's definition. Secondly, I am neither whining nor complaining. I am stating my opinion, albeit negative, of the course of Disney restaurants and quality since the introduction of the dining plan. Do I enjoy eating at Disney restaurants when I am on Disney vacation? Yes. Do I have to like the prices? No. However, you better believe if I am paying top dollar, I expect the best. I've found restaurants at Disney where I can get that. Guess what the common factor is with those restaurants? They don't accept discounts and they're 2 credits on the DDP, which I believe is proof that the DDP has lowered the quality of the Disney restaurants who have some very talented chefs. The whole attitude of "if you don't like it, don't go" frankly sucks. I believe the devaluing of currency for those on the DDP has lead to complacency and that has allowed Disney to behave badly. Why should we sit by, as consumers, and blindly eat it up? Pun intended.

I feel like I have stated my point plainly multiple times at this point. No use beating a dead horse. Expecting you to see my perspective is insane, a per your use of Einstein's definition. Live and let live my friend.

I reject the notion that wdw is conducting some
Kinda of laisse faire, free market experiment in supply and demand...

They are moving outside of their established business model (have worked under and towards it) to basically overextend their price mechanisms to compensate for falling money in their tv and to inflate numbers for Wall Street.

I'm oversimplifying...but I'm basically correct in essence...and that is gambling...not "supply and demand"...

But...off tangent...the problem with the "don't buy the $128 steak" argument is that these price policies of up front dining and plans have changed the quality and price of ALL food and locations...it's not allowing me to "take it or leave it" because it has moved in on everyone like weeds...

The "crabgrass" era...

And that's why I feel free dining contributed to it. They developed the dining plan in order to fill the restaurants. Then, when that wasn't hooking people, they gave it away "free" and that hooked lots and suddenly, the dining plan became a part of our Disney vocabulary.
I can't argue the point since a little research seems to indicate that the current DDP was released in 2005, and the first FD promo ran later that same year. There had been dining plans before 2005, but they were not general release things. So it seems that we will never know - did the DDP ruin Disney restaurants, or did FD? Probably both.

You're advice is legit...other places to vacation...but my question is: why does it have to be two weeks?

A vacation per say doesn't have to be two weeks. However for us to go to Orlando at has to be at least 10 days or it isn't worth it.

Coming from western Canada it cost around $2000 for flights for 3. Travel is a full day there and a full day back. It usually involves being at the airport at 5am. It takes a day to fully recover from the early start/long day. So there's no way one week would be worth it.

We've been going to Orlando every December since 2008. If we go this year it will be to Universal. With their Stay More Save More deal I can get 35% off their rack rate and stay at an onsite deluxe resort for cheaper than a WDW Mod resort.

I reject the notion that wdw is conducting some
Kinda of laisse faire, free market experiment in supply and demand...

They are moving outside of their established business model (have worked under and towards it) to basically overextend their price mechanisms to compensate for falling money in their tv and to inflate numbers for Wall Street.

I'm oversimplifying...but I'm basically correct in essence...and that is gambling...not "supply and demand"...

But...off tangent...the problem with the "don't buy the $128 steak" argument is that these price policies of up front dining and plans have changed the quality and price of ALL food and locations...it's not allowing me to "take it or leave it" because it has moved in on everyone like weeds...

The "crabgrass" era...
Is this directed toward me or ?

I'm confused

I don't do free dining anymore. We rent points instead. But years ago the dining plan was a good value and the restaurants were well above typical theme park quality IMO (some still are today, but most have gone mainstream).

i agree FD was offered to get folks hooked on adding it to their packages. Even when it isn't free it is targeted as a % discount off food. I also believe the dining plan has added to the higher prices and decreased quality. And I agree that new guests would not know this.

Disney will only get away with the price hikes as long as the economy holds. They put a ton of $ into overseas parks. Will that add to a decrease in FL and CA attendance? Will the weaker overseas economy (especially South and Central America) cause deceased attendance?

I am concerned as a huge fan and stockholder that they have pushed the market too far. The world economy makes a Disney vacation less in demand. The push for VIP Tours/Cabanas/Hard Ticket Events/After Hours Pricing is targeted to a particular market - will those folks come back year after year?

I saw what happened to WDW after 9/11. September and October were cheap for a reason - it's hurricane season and one storm (God forbid) will make people realize that time can be hit or miss.

History shows that companies that charge top $ for service and products and don't deliver, suffer. As someone said earlier, the DIS is a small % of people that visit.

I firmly believe the reason WDW continues to be magical is because of the CMs that believe in the original vision. If WDW management continues on the path to devalue their employees this will go by the way side too.

Ok, stepping off my soap box (sorry).

A vacation per say doesn't have to be two weeks. However for us to go to Orlando at has to be at least 10 days or it isn't worth it.

Coming from western Canada it cost around $2000 for flights for 3. Travel is a full day there and a full day back. It usually involves being at the airport at 5am. It takes a day to fully recover from the early start/long day. So there's no way one week would be worth it.

We've been going to Orlando every December since 2008. If we go this year it will be to Universal. With their Stay More Save More deal I can get 35% off their rack rate and stay at an onsite deluxe resort for cheaper than a WDW Mod resort.

I get what you're saying...really I do...but there's a lot of issues that come into play when posters make a point on the need for "discounts" and really long stays. Often the lens used to judge is so blurred that the general point is marginalized.

You're argument is not a really bad case of that - those that have in the past prebook 2 weeks in the RIDICULOUSLY overpriced "concierge" rooms and then get aggressive about needing promotions would be - but still it's kinda hard to plead poverty AND want long stays, isn't it? (And no...I'm not actually accusing you of pleading poverty...I just can't come up with a better term to describe it right now)

Many things in this argument thread are really being twisted...more to come, I'm sure :/

I don't do free dining anymore. We rent points instead. But years ago the dining plan was a good value and the restaurants were well above typical theme park quality IMO (some still are today, but most have gone mainstream).

i agree FD was offered to get folks hooked on adding it to their packages. Even when it isn't free it is targeted as a % discount off food. I also believe the dining plan has added to the higher prices and decreased quality. And I agree that new guests would not know this.

Disney will only get away with the price hikes as long as the economy holds. They put a ton of $ into overseas parks. Will that add to a decrease in FL and CA attendance? Will the weaker overseas economy (especially South and Central America) cause deceased attendance?

I am concerned as a huge fan and stockholder that they have pushed the market too far. The world economy makes a Disney vacation less in demand. The push for VIP Tours/Cabanas/Hard Ticket Events/After Hours Pricing is targeted to a particular market - will those folks come back year after year?

I saw what happened to WDW after 9/11. September and October were cheap for a reason - it's hurricane season and one storm (God forbid) will make people realize that time can be hit or miss.

History shows that companies that charge top $ for service and products and don't deliver, suffer. As someone said earlier, the DIS is a small % of people that visit.

I firmly believe the reason WDW continues to be magical is because of the CMs that believe in the original vision. If WDW management continues on the path to devalue their employees this will go by the way side too.

Ok, stepping off my soap box (sorry).

Get out of my BRAIN!!!!!

...except the cm part, it's been a meatmarket there for 20+ years by their own choosing...

I have been at WDW during 1 TS and 2 hurricanes (WDW actually closed for a day during one of these trips). I have also been at WDW as a TS and a hurricane effected my home (basement flooded once, largely unaffected by the other). I would say that all 5 of those visits were awesome!. Really, where would you rather be during a hurricane than WDW?

I have been at WDW during 1 TS and 2 hurricanes (WDW actually closed for a day during one of these trips). I have also been at WDW as a TS and a hurricane effected my home (basement flooded once, largely unaffected by the other). I would say that all 5 of those visits were awesome!. Really, where would you rather be during a hurricane than WDW?

Sorry you had hurricanes affect your home! Here in NY we are still dealing with Sandy aftermath if you can believe it.

WDW's location does make it largely unaffected by most storms and I'm sure is very safe. What I was referring to is the mass marketing of hurricane season with parties, runs, etc. and I think a fair number forget it is hurricane season in FL regardless.

I get what you're saying...really I do...but there's a lot of issues that come into play when posters make a point on the need for "discounts" and really long stays. Often the lens used to judge is so blurred that the general point is marginalized.

You're argument is not a really bad case of that - those that have in the past prebook 2 weeks in the RIDICULOUSLY overpriced "concierge" rooms and then get aggressive about needing promotions would be - but still it's kinda hard to plead poverty AND want long stays, isn't it? (And no...I'm not actually accusing you of pleading poverty...I just can't come up with a better term to describe it right now)

Many things in this argument thread are really being twisted...more to come, I'm sure :/

My opinion on Disneys pricing has nothing to do with my income level. I have a very decent upper middle class income. So the issue in not what I can afford it's what I'm willing to pay for the product.

We stay at a Mod resort not deluxe concierge. The full FD plan worked nicely for us at that price point. QS FD doesn't work and out of principle I won't pay to upgrade.

Ultimately if WDW can fill all there rooms with this promo than I guess they are right and I am wrong. We have been going for 2 weeks every year and spending a lot of money there. With the direction things are going it looks like WDW will become a every 3 or 4 years thing for us. We like it enough to go again sometime but with the direction of the pricing the value won't be there for us on a yearly basis.

My opinion on Disneys pricing has nothing to do with my income level. I have a very decent upper middle class income. So the issue in not what I can afford it's what I'm willing to pay for the product.

We stay at a Mod resort not deluxe concierge. The full FD plan worked nicely for us at that price point. QS FD doesn't work and out of principle I won't pay to upgrade.

Ultimately if WDW can fill all there rooms with this promo than I guess they are right and I am wrong. We have been going for 2 weeks every year and spending a lot of money there. With the direction things are going it looks like WDW will become a every 3 or 4 years thing for us. We like it enough to go again sometime but with the direction of the pricing the value won't be there for us on a yearly basis.

I know you...there's no judgement at all...it's just hard to illustrate a point without making it look like that...

I just think it's easy to diffuse "no value" on a 2 week stay when the counter can be "go for less time"

And I'm right there in the boat with you...I'm actively not spending money on disney now...after 20 years and literally six figures dumped in there...I don't want to play anymore. With two target age kids...

When people say "supply and demand" they try to boil that down to a once off for a week every 5 years or so on a promotion like this...

Nope...this is core business and that is essential to parks success. And what the CEO isn't in a position to care about.

There isn't a "next man up" here...

Last edited:
I know you...there's no judgement at all...it's just hard to illustrate a point without making it look like that...

I just think it's easy to diffuse "no value" on a 2 week stay when the counter can be "go for less time"

And I'm right there in the boat with you...I'm actively not spending money on disney now...after 20 years and literally six figures dumped in there...I don't want to play anymore. With two target age kids...

When people say "supply and demand" they try to boil that down to a once off for a week every 5 years or so on a promotion like this...

Nope...this is core business and that is essential to parks success. And what the CEO isn't in a position to care about.

There isn't a "next man up" here...

I understand your point. Why should someone who can afford a yearly $10,000 vacation get any sympathy because Disney wants $11k for the same vacation now?

I go back to my original point which is there are lots of places to vacation. Why should I have to cut my vacation from 14 to 10 days because Disney wants to charge more? Especially if I don't feel I'm getting more.

I'm not angry at Disney for trying to make more money. A little disappointed that a place I enjoy so much will no longer be a yearly thing. But I'll enjoy myself wherever we go.

Bottom line is I work a high pressure job and I need that 2 week vacation. A week won't cut it.

I understand your point. Why should someone who can afford a yearly $10,000 vacation get any sympathy because Disney wants $11k for the same vacation now?

I go back to my original point which is there are lots of places to vacation. Why should I have to cut my vacation from 14 to 10 days because Disney wants to charge more? Especially if I don't feel I'm getting more.

I'm not angry at Disney for trying to make more money. A little disappointed that a place I enjoy so much will no longer be a yearly thing. But I'll enjoy myself wherever we go.

Bottom line is I work a high pressure job and I need that 2 week vacation. A week won't cut it.

I hear ya...

A little off topic, but I think it's good your job gives you the opportunity for 2 week vacations. I also work a high pressure job and they give us 6-8 weeks off a year to keep us sane.

Aaaaaand Free Dining availability opened up this morning for my Wilderness Lodge reservation, so I'm all set now for September! :yay:
Still very frustrating that, in order to take advantage of the "free" offer, you have to be willing to let them take your existing resort reservation, which you've already booked and put a deposit on, and raise the rate by hundreds of dollars just because they want more of your money.

Last edited:
A little off topic, but I think it's good your job gives you the opportunity for 2 week vacations. I also work a high pressure job and they give us 6-8 weeks off a year to keep us sane.

For sure. I can get 4-5 weeks off per year, but I need that 2 consecutive weeks to get away and recharge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter