Free Dining Here We Come - Pre-Trip Report!!! We're going back to Disney!!!

Wow! Everytime I turn around time just slips away from me! Today was a Holiday for us and our kids, but it is also my the day my daddy would have celebrated his 85th Birthday, but unfortunately my daddy lost his battle with a very agressive form of cancer 2 years ago. Its so hard to believe he's been gone that long. He lived such a wonderful life. He loved Disney too! He actually loved Epcot, he said he could spend a day in every country pavillion, and never go anywhere else in the world and he'd be happy. Oh well, lets see if I can get back to my mini TR from Dec.

When I left off, I'd just finished Taylor's Birthday Dinner. And Saturday, Dec. 5th was our down day. We slept late, had breakfast at POFQ, then strolled over to POR. We wanted to see if it was a resort we might like to stay at, it was very nice and we even thought it might be where our next "try it and see if you like it" resort. Both DDs decided to go swimming, I don't know why, it was cold. The water was freezing, I think that they turned the heaters off on the pools (it was really cold at POFQ too!).
P1050074.jpg

But they said that they were fine, so we gave them directions on when we wanted them back at POFQ and DH and I headed out to DTD for lunch and some shopping. We ate at Earl's and it was wonderful as usual!!! I picked out some souvies and stuff for the girls for Christmas then we went back to POFQ and the girls had come in showered, dressed and left us a note that they were in the Arcade, burning up those cards that they got with our package. Then went over to Wilderness Lodge for dinner. Well that was the experience from H***! Our ADR was for 5:00, we showed up at 4:45 and checked in. A few minutes later we were seated and told our server was "Bob". Terrific, so we start to look at our menus and we wait for "Bob", 15 minutes later, still no show. Tables all around us are being visited by their server and getting drinks and ordering their meals. Finally "Bob" showed up, he was slurring his words, tried to write our drink orders with a crayon, and finally figured out he had a Sharpie. He then fumbled with that! He couldn't even quote the Milkshake order properly, he added a few that we knew made no sense. We gave our drink order and he walked off to go get them. We wait another 5 minutes or so, and he comes back and forgot he had taken our order already? HUH? Whats up with this dude? DH and I just keep looking at each other absolutely puzzled, we can only assume he's having a medical condition or he's drunk or stoned! He then comes back again, to take our order again and still has no drinks, then tries to take our meal order. When he left the table that time, I was worried about what we were going to eat that night, so DH decided to talk to a manager. The next thing we see is the Manager come out of an office up front and our server follow her to the front and then he comes out and tells his buddy he is being sent home. So, they then send over another server, who is already stretched but we had to be taken care of, only to find out 30 minutes into our evening, no orders for us had ever been turned in, no drinks made and meals not ordered. So, we had to start all over. We didn't mind re-doing it, but it sure has left a bad taste in our mouth for WCC. We won't go there again, that was quite the experience. We were rushed, once they got to us, and our evening was just not what we expected. After that was over, we finally went back to the resort and hung out, had a cocktail and regrouped for tomorrow. Maybe it will be better. This is DDs in WL:
P1050087.jpg

P1050103.jpg

We got up and headed straight over to DHS, we wanted breakfast at Starring Rolls. We started off the day with a trip to TSM as usual!!!! This our favorite thing to do at DHS!!! We walked around, saw Indy, the DDs rode Star Wars, then we at lunch at Pizza Planet. We have read reviews about this place, but we loved it there. The Pizza and Caprese Salad is fantastic. Anyway, we enjoyed it, and then let the kids ride TOT and RRC, and DH and I headed over to Beauty and the Beast. I love this show, it very good. The girls got done with their rides and met us. When we left here, we decided we'd head back to resort to get some laundry done and maybe start putting some stuff in bags to go home, and get our box started to ship back home. We had dinner at Cape May that night, and they had crab legs on the buffet. We loved this meal!!! This is Taylor with her Birthday Dessert!
P1050193.jpg

After, we went to DHS for the Osborne Lights and EMHs. We also wanted to go the the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Dance Party and see the characters.
P1050229-1.jpg

We left the park around 10:00 and went straight to bed, we were exhausted.

The next day we headed back to MK. So, we had breakfast again at Main Street (as its our favorite place for breakfast). Today started off great, first we headed for Fantasyland and we saw Alice and Rabbit. We've never met the Rabbit before so we made sure to get in line for them.
P1050272.jpg

Then we let the girls each pick out a ride that they both wanted to ride and we did those. As we were walking along, we see that McScrooge Duck was out, and again, we've never seen him either, so we went over to see him and as luck would have it, the CM said we may not make it, he's going in for a break but we'll see. Oh, we really wanted a picture here!! Well we made it:
P1050290.jpg

Then we walked on into Liberty Square and we had seen the River Boat show the other day, but we wanted to see if we could meet Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen, so we had to ask where they were seeing people and we got in line, we were 3rd OH YAY!!!!
P1050316.jpg

Then we walked on over to Splash Mtn., in all the trips we gone, the girls have never ridden this ride. It's either been down for refurb or they've had to close for some problem or another, or its been too cold to ride, so we made sure we rode. It was so nice, we barely got wet!!! But as we got off, we saw Woody and Jessie doing a Meet and Greet and we've never seen Jessie, so guess what we got in line for that too!!!
P1050335.jpg

This day turned out to be a good day in the park for us. We got to have autographs and photos with characters we've never seen. It was wonderful!!
We decided to go and take a break and let the girls swim a little and really start the packing process. We ship a box down with stuff, so we always try to send some stuff home that we wont' need the rest of the week so it literally meets us at home the day after we get home. It has worked really well for us to do this for the past 3 years. We had dinner at Ohana that night, and we were going to go back to MK for Wishes, but I wasn't feeling well. I'd been on an antibiotic for a sinus infection during our trip and I wasn't staying well hydrated, and I felt like I was going to pass out, so we decided to go on back to POFQ. The girls were a bit bummed but they knew I wouldn't cancel if I didn't really feel bad, so they were ok.

This day turned out to be the best day of our trip!!! We got breakfast and headed out to Epcot. The girls had been looking forward to this day all week. They had gotten to try Kim Possible during our last trip and we promised them that they could spend the whole day doing every mission that they could do. Well, we rode Test Track 1st thing, then once 11:00 hit, they were off. We told them to keep the phone handy incase we called. We decided to hit as many pavillions as we could. Then when we got to the American Pavillion, we noticed that Santa was there after 1:30, it was then about 12:15, so we were going to call the kids and tell them to come on for lunch and then we'd get in line for Santa. As I was calling the kids, DH began talking to a CM and as I hung up, he says "Honey would you like to meet the lady that was Tiana's voice in the movie?" OMG!!! Are you kidding me, I had just seen her on Good Morning America and thought she was fabulous!!!! Yes, I want to meet her!!! So, we called the girls back and told them to hurry, we had to get a bracelet to get in her line, she was going to be there at 1:30. So, they show up, we all got bracelets, then we had lunch. We finished and got in line, as we were waiting DH went into the store at the pavillion and bought both DDs the story book and me Tiana's Cookbook for autographs. We got pictures with her and she spent so much time with my DDs, she was wonderful!!
P1050390-1.jpg

She and my DD Emily have since we came home been chatting through FaceBook. It is unbelieveable. We had such a Magical Experience with her! It truely made our trip memorable.
Then we continued on to the various pavillions and we met Marie, another we've never seen before!
P1050462-1.jpg

We had dinner that night at Nine Dragons. We will never eat here again, the food was mediocre at best. The kids hated it, and the service was awful. This was our last full day of the trip and it sure was memorable. The good stuff far outweighed the bad. We left while Illuminations was going on. We got on the bus and went back to the resort to pack up for the next day.

We got up early, took our bags to Bell Svc. and headed out to AK. We an ADR for breakfast, but DH began to have an allergic reaction to something he had eaten in the last 24 hours. He got his medicine in him, but he was not feeling good at all. So, we got to the Tusker House, ate and then his medicine started to kick in, he was sleepy and both girls wanted to ride EE. So, I sent them on to EE and I sat with DH on a bench over near Camp Minnie Mickey to wait on DDs so we can see FOLK. Well, as they started to come near us, I woke DH up and we got up to head over to FOLK. DH had taken his bag off and hung it on the bench, and in his drugged state forgot he put it there, and we walked off. When he realized it, it had been about 15 minutes since we walked away. It had his $$, phone, camera (with all our photos on it) and most importantly, his ID to get on the plane in 4 hours. We went into a panic, we went back to the bench, it was gone. Now real panic sets in, he's upset, the kids are upset. I pick up my phone and call it. Well while I'm calling his number, my mom is calling me, I ignore it. I'm talking to a person who identifies himself as a CM who has DH's bag!!! Oh YAY!!! In the mean time, my mom then calls DD and tells her, that a CM has DHs bag!! HUH!!???? How does she know that? Well, the CM called the ICE and my brother is the person on the list, so he called my mom because he was in a blizzard in Maine!!! Needless to say thanks to a whole bunch of people we were able to get DHs bag back and everything was in it!!!!!!!! We left AK and went to DTD to have lunch at Earl's and finish shopping to go home. We had a very eventful trip. It was met with happiness, fear and frustration! Will we ever stay at POFQ again, probably not, its just not for us. It was nice enough, but not our place, we just like CBR better.

That leads me into our next trip in Aug. 2010, we originally booked it as a Bounce Back and staying at POFQ for 10 nights and now we don't want to stay there, so heres hoping that they'll let us change it to CBR and keep our Free Dining!!!

Thanks for reading if you made it through this. We had a good trip, but we were ready to go home. I'll update on our progress for our Aug. trip in the next installment.

Mary

I am so surprised that my DH hasn't dropped by. Oh well, onward and upward.

As I said in my 1st post we have a trip planned as a Bounceback offer from our Free Dining Trip last August. So, when we booked it, we booked a 10 night trip at POFQ with Free Dining and 10 day tickets with Hoppers, maybe adding Waterparks and more beginning on 8/20 thru 8/30. Well before we left for our Dec. trip I was already feeling the CBR pull. I wasn't really excited to stay at POFQ, but DH really wanted to try it, so I was willing to give it a try. As luck would have it, POFQ just wasn't for us, I knew it, DH knew and both girls knew it. We knew it the minute we got to our room. It was a bit dreary, with heavy dark victorian furniture. Don't get me wrong; that kind of furniture is fine, my mom has plenty in her house, but on my Florida vacation, I want light airy and sunny!!!! POFQ just didn't have that for me.

Fast forward to this past week, I finally got DH to admit that CBR was really where we all like to stay, but he still wants to try something new every other trip. Well, ok I'll try. But for now, its back to CBR, so now I have call and see if they can change it for me without having to lose my Free Dining. Well, I called this weekend and I was able to move our trip to CBR. So now we have 10 nights in a Preferred Room at CBR. We like Martinique and I put that on our Ressie as a request.

DH is saying now that he may not be able to take that much time off from work at one time, so we may have to shorten the trip, but if we do, I'm only dropping 1 or 2 days. I'll know more tomorrow, his request is on the boss's desk. If we have to change we will be going 8/21 thur 8/29. Looking at those dates I will be ok, I'll still be able to go to the parks I want and eat at the places we want to go to.

I'm just so happy that we got to move to CBR!!! We all feel so much better now, we just love it there! Its like a vacation on vacation, its so tropical there and you really feel the theme!!!

Thanks for reading so far!! I hope I'm not boring anyone!! Now that I'm moving onto the real trip planning, maybe I can pick up a few more readers!!! :surfweb:

We got DHs vacation request back, then only want him to go for 1 week, so we are going 8/21 thru 8/29. Now I just need to call WDW and change our dates at CBR. I have to get to work on our plans, we can make ADRs in 29 days and I have only glanced at the calendars for Aug. from last year, the good news is I saved all the stuff from last year, so that will coming out tomorrow and the girls and I will get our stuff rolling. We've got alot to do.

I just found your PTR today....love your posts and you have a beautiful family. Can't wait to hear more about your wonderful trip. We have gone the last 3 years in August but this coming summer it wasn't meant to be. My DD17 will be starting University in September so she needs a full time job for the summer so we're leaving Saturday instead:cool1:

Enjoyed your update. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much!!!

Looks like it will be a fun trippopcorn::

I hope so, we are counting on it!!

I just found your PTR today....love your posts and you have a beautiful family. Can't wait to hear more about your wonderful trip. We have gone the last 3 years in August but this coming summer it wasn't meant to be. My DD17 will be starting University in September so she needs a full time job for the summer so we're leaving Saturday instead:cool1:

Thanks! I hope you have a great trip! I hope the weather is good for you!!!

Well, I was planning to come on here tonight fully prepared to put some of our plans for August on and DH called me today at school to tell me he has a class he has to take that is being taught at their sister nuclear power station. And there is no way around it, and it is scheduled for 8/21 & 22. Well, there goes our vacation. We can't go for a whole week before, because the Free Dining Bounceback doesn't begin until 8/15, so we'd lose 2 days there, we can't go 8/23 because then we wouldn't get back until after the kids' Open House at Middle school. Which in most cases isn't a real big deal but the school DD is in right now is closing at the end of this year, they've built a new one, but they have rezoned our entire district so all her friends are being sent to 3 different schools. All her teachers are being sent to the new school that was built to replace the one closing, but instead of just shipping all those kids, they split them up, so going to Open House is a must. Then youngest DD will begin Middle School this year, so it is important to go and let her meet the teachers and get a layout of the school. She has epilepsy and has an IEP associated with it, so we have Spec. Ed people to meet as well. I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

DH is going to try to see if he can take this class another time, but it isn't looking good, so I don't know what to do. I still want to go and now we are having to make adjustments, so now I have to wait for DH to iron it all out.

Sorry to be a downer and not have an update to give.

Mary

I got my hands on the school's calendar for next year and found that the date for Open House is slated for 9/01 and DH absolutely has to take this class but it is now only set up for 1 day on 8/21. We have now decided to try and extend our trip by a day so I'm going to try and call WDW today and put our vacation at 8/22 to 8/31, with Free Dining at CBR Preferred Room with 7 day base tickets, that puts at a cost of approximately $2785, give or take a few bucks.

With this in hand we all sat down last night and tried to decide on what restaurants we wanted to eat at, we looked at last years Aug. calendars with park schedules and we tried so hard to get a semi plan together. I'm going to try and add our pseudo plans on later this afternoon after I talk to WDW about changing our vacation plans. On a good note, Airtran now has flights scheduled for our vacation dates and all flights are $64 per person each way. I'm booking that this week too, that will be another item I can check off my list.

Have a good day everyone! My day is looking better, now that I don't have to cancel our vacation. :thumbsup2 :banana:

I'm so happy you didn't have to cancel your vacation. I love going in August...I loved spending the afternoons at the pool then back to the parks in the evening.

Hi Mary!

I'm go glad you didn't have to cancel and were able to adjust your days! I had a very similar panic attack just a couple of days ago! I was sitting here looking at the August hours and realized that we too would have school orientation the week we will be gone, and my youngest will miss his preschool orientation as well.

DS6 will be in 1st grade, and they have an open house night on the Wednesday before school starts. The thing is all you really do is go over, take in your supplies and see your room and teacher. You're there like 30 minutes. We too would have had to bump the trip to the week earlier which would have cost us a LOT more (no free dining, higher room rates, and more expensive flights). So, we decided to leave the trip where it is and I'll just contact the school to see about stopping over a day or 2 before school starts to drop off supplies and stuff - the teachers and staff are there, so hopefully it won't be a problem. I'm sure we can't be the only people who've ever missed open house night.

DS3 will be able to go and visit his preschool classroom too, we know the teachers well and they've already told us we can bring him over another time to get him acquiainted with the room and with them, so I wasn't too worried about that one, but when I remembered about the elementary school open house my heart sank! I sat here for hours recalculating everything and trying to figure out how to make it all work - but in the end we can miss it and it will all be okay.

Glad you plans are working out too!

Glad to hear that you will still have your trip in August. I'm hoping for you everything falls into place nice and easy!

We were just at CBR a couple of weeks ago now and you were right, we LOVED it! One the first trip you mentioned that Bell Services picked you up and you were able to check bags/check in for the airline. Did they actually drive you over? Bell services picked up our checked bags, but my poor husband walked over with our carry-ons that we didn't want to haul to the parks the day we left. We could have requested to go with bell services and take care of it all at one time?!

Can't wait to see how the August trip comes together! I can't wait til we are ready to plan our next trip!

Loved reading everything so far! :)

Glad you could keep your trip. :thumbsup2

I am waiting for Free Dining to be released to the public.

We are planning to go from August 15-28. Staying at POP!

I've been trying to decide which ADR's I want. So many good choices.

I got my hands on the school's calendar for next year and found that the date for Open House is slated for 9/01 and DH absolutely has to take this class but it is now only set up for 1 day on 8/21. We have now decided to try and extend our trip by a day so I'm going to try and call WDW today and put our vacation at 8/22 to 8/31, with Free Dining at CBR Preferred Room with 7 day base tickets, that puts at a cost of approximately $2785, give or take a few bucks.

With this in hand we all sat down last night and tried to decide on what restaurants we wanted to eat at, we looked at last years Aug. calendars with park schedules and we tried so hard to get a semi plan together. I'm going to try and add our pseudo plans on later this afternoon after I talk to WDW about changing our vacation plans. On a good note, Airtran now has flights scheduled for our vacation dates and all flights are $64 per person each way. I'm booking that this week too, that will be another item I can check off my list.

Have a good day everyone! My day is looking better, now that I don't have to cancel our vacation. :thumbsup2 :banana:

Phew, glad you didn't have to cancel! That would have been a bummer. Yay for still going to Disney!

Hi Mary!

I'm go glad you didn't have to cancel and were able to adjust your days! I had a very similar panic attack just a couple of days ago! I was sitting here looking at the August hours and realized that we too would have school orientation the week we will be gone, and my youngest will miss his preschool orientation as well.

DS6 will be in 1st grade, and they have an open house night on the Wednesday before school starts. The thing is all you really do is go over, take in your supplies and see your room and teacher. You're there like 30 minutes. We too would have had to bump the trip to the week earlier which would have cost us a LOT more (no free dining, higher room rates, and more expensive flights). So, we decided to leave the trip where it is and I'll just contact the school to see about stopping over a day or 2 before school starts to drop off supplies and stuff - the teachers and staff are there, so hopefully it won't be a problem. I'm sure we can't be the only people who've ever missed open house night.

DS3 will be able to go and visit his preschool classroom too, we know the teachers well and they've already told us we can bring him over another time to get him acquiainted with the room and with them, so I wasn't too worried about that one, but when I remembered about the elementary school open house my heart sank! I sat here for hours recalculating everything and trying to figure out how to make it all work - but in the end we can miss it and it will all be okay.

Glad you plans are working out too!

MommyMcQueen, thanks I am so happy that everything has finally worked out. DH got his class scheduled and now he can travel home that night and we'll all have dinner out and then we can go on vacation.

Glad to hear that you will still have your trip in August. I'm hoping for you everything falls into place nice and easy!

We were just at CBR a couple of weeks ago now and you were right, we LOVED it! One the first trip you mentioned that Bell Services picked you up and you were able to check bags/check in for the airline. Did they actually drive you over? Bell services picked up our checked bags, but my poor husband walked over with our carry-ons that we didn't want to haul to the parks the day we left. We could have requested to go with bell services and take care of it all at one time?!

Can't wait to see how the August trip comes together! I can't wait til we are ready to plan our next trip!

WITinkFan, I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to CBR. It is a wonderful resort! Yes, we did ride over with Bell Svc. when they picked up our bags. I called them the night before to schedule them to pick us up, and when they showed up, we just got in the van with them and loaded all our bags into the van. Once we got to the Custom House we asked Bell Svc. to check them for us and they gave us a claim ticket. And off we went until we got back later that day to meet ME.

Loved reading everything so far! :)

Glad you could keep your trip. :thumbsup2

I am waiting for Free Dining to be released to the public.

We are planning to go from August 15-28. Staying at POP!

I've been trying to decide which ADR's I want. So many good choices.

CanadianWDWfan, thank you so much and I'm glad you joined me. I hope that they release Free Dining to the public soon. I'm hoping that we get to book BounceBack again this year like we did last year. It is so nice knowing that our trip is booked in advance and I have Free Dining Locked in. Have a great trip in August, we love it then. The heat doesn't bother us, we have heat and humidity here where we live.

Phew, glad you didn't have to cancel! That would have been a bummer. Yay for still going to Disney!

wdwgirl03, thanks! I am so glad you are still around. I'm going to be adding our tentative itenerary this week. Hopefully, you come back and let me know what you think.

Mary

I'm so happy you didn't have to cancel your vacation. I love going in August...I loved spending the afternoons at the pool then back to the parks in the evening.

I am too!!! I feel exactly the same way about going in August! We love swimming in the afternoon and going back at night when it is cooler. Check back later this week, I'll have our tentative plan posted.

Mary

Good Morning Everyone!!!!! As I said, I'd begin putting up our tentative plan for our trip, so I thought I start with asking everyone in the family where they wanted to eat. So, everyone came up with 1 or 2 favorite restaurants that they wanted to eat at. This how the list started:

Glenn: Kona, Earl of Sandwich
Me: Cape May Clam Bake, 50's Primetime Cafe
Taylor: Tutto Italia, Crystal Palace
Emily: Teppan Edo, Main Street Bakery (Breakfast)

So, I began with that list and then Glenn and I came up a couple of places that we wanted to try that we'd never eaten at before:

Grand Floridian Cafe
Fairfax Faire (CS in DHS)
and
Hoop De Doo Revue (Hard to believe we've never seen this show and eaten here)

So, this is the list of places we are going to try to fit into our plan if the hours once they were released would fit into our schedule.

Since we will have 9 TS meals each to use, I'm certain we'll get them all in, its just a matter of the schedule. Tell me if you like any of these or add any suggestions that we may have missed.

Mary

I think those look terrific!!

We ate at the Grand Floridian Cafe in 2005 for breakfast and loved it. I love the Grand Floridian itself, so any excuse to go there is good for me!!!

Looks great! I'm hoping to get some of the same ADR's....:goodvibes all around!

We want Le Cellier, O'Hana, Teppan Edo, Chef Mickey's, Cape May bkfst, Kona, Sci Fi, Garden Grill, Crystal Palace, Donald's bkfst, 1900 Park Fare, Boma bkfst, Wilderness Canyon, Captain's Grill.

I hope I get them next week when my window open up. :goodvibes

I've never been to Hoop De Do either. Looks like fun!

I got a pin code yesterday and considered staying at Carribean but, decided against it because I couldn't get the free dining too. You can only use one discount.

The free dining is a way better deal. ::yes::

I meant to ask you where you get your DD's tops from? I think they are too cute. :)

We got the best news this week, DH is getting a good bonus and we are getting back about $4K in Federal taxes, and $700 in State taxes, so we are paying off our trip and booking our flights this weekend. We are so excited to have it all set in stone. I can make our ADRs in 10 days, so I have to get on here this weekend so we can get some feedback on our schedule to see if everyone thinks it will be ok. I'm getting so excited now!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter