Fred and Wilma 'Wonder' Through the Panama Canal - With a Couple of Stowaways

Linda, we have done galley tours on all four ships. They are only held on sea days (and not even every sea day) and are on a first come first serve basis. We have sometimes had a CM who would say that there are none scheduled but when we asked for it they would put us on a list and we have been called quite a few times to tell us that there was a tour and when would we like to do it.
Next time - ask to be put on a list and I am sure you will be able to get on a galley tour.

Thanks Karin!
I will certainly ask next time
Every time I've asked about one (most recently on The Magic in June) they've said there aren't any scheduled. Perhaps I should keep checking back each day
Nice to to hear from you!

Oh, that galley tour looks interesting. Did you see any notes there about all apps must be anchored with mashed potatoes? :p Was that a sweet dip for the brie app? I've had brie puff pastry with raspberry preserves and it is incredible! I'm gaining 6 lbs just reading about your dining adventures.

Ha ha ha! That flubber stuff looks like fun. You guys look like you were at science class at school.

Finally made it to your TR!!!!

Only have read through Cartegana so far but have to comment. Excellent report by the way.

Love the card your friends left for you in the hotel before your flight. I bought one last year in WDW just to frame.

I dislike mayo for the most part but love it on fries.

KINDLE Paperwhite best invention ever.

TransAtlantic flight necessary evil but the reason I won't book a TransAtlantic cruise and have only been to Europe once!

Same tee at hotel breakfast-imagine same dress formal night!!!

LOVED your personal touch with the Mixology cards. Thanks for putting in the effort!!!
I cover every ship I've ever been on (talking EVERY corridor) as I love to explore. Try that on Allure (RCCL) and your fitbit gets a workout. Speaking of fitbit I just got mine in July so have no idea how much (or little) I walked this cruise.

Kudos on working through fear to go in caves in Playa. I rode that ferry once and outside seat if one available is best option.

Mozzarella sticks!!!!! I'd read you could do that and planned on it and hadn't thought about it again until your picture:-(

Ouch on the sunburn.

Mixology. Glass of salad-ha! French Martini-yum!

Love the new placeholder process and so easy especially after a tasting!

Amazing view from La Popa, might have to consider that next year.

The Pushiness of the Cartagena vendors reminds me of the Jamaica vendor who followed us on bus for money once because we watched him carve some wood figurines and he asked our names and carved that in them too so now we HAD to buy them. We did and it is still a great conversation piece since our names are misspelled:-)

BBB is great option but the tipping was a question for me too. When my BIL went on a cruise he had a hard time with how to tip those that weren't in regular tipped positions. I did wind up tipping several of the bathroom attendants this cruise as they work hard in a really thankless position.

Hope to catch up on more soon!

Great report I read it all. I think I have made up my mind about doing those cruise for my honeymoon next year.

Sorry for the delay in getting this updated. Real life kind of got in the way but Kim informed me yesterday that she still doesn't know how the cruise ended because I haven't finished the trip report so I figured I'd better be a good girl and get caught up. I will apologise for the fact that there will be no Navigators from today onwards as I am now without a scanner.

Chapter 23 – Look out to sea and feel even more insignificant than usual

Monday May 11th

I woke up at 7.40 this morning – oops, missed the walking group. After I washed and dressed, I went up to the pool, leaving Gary dozing. I lay out on a lounger for a while and then decided to brave the pool. It was pretty chilly but you soon got used to the cold.

The others turned up after a little while and Gary and I went to grab some breakfast – a rather unhealthy croissant omelette sandwich for me, while Gary got his usual granola and jazzed it up with a couple of pieces of toast.

On the way back to the pool, I grabbed a couple of pastries from Cove Café, with the intention of sharing them with Kim. Unfortunately, Kim was not cooperating this morning and so I had to eat two of them myself and force Gary to eat the remaining one. They were very nice though.

The drink of the day today was an Ooh La La, a mojito made with St Germain. Martin brought me one but I didn’t like it (it tasted a bit flowery) so he very kindly replaced it with a regular mojito. Oh my, it was S-T-R-O-N-G! I had to get some Sprite to ‘water’ it down. We hung out at the pool for the morning with Vicky, Jif, Kathleen, Ron, Kim and Terry. What a relaxing morning. At around 12 we decided to go and get some lunch. There was an Italian themed buffet in Beach Blanket Buffet so we all went down there.

My selection was very boring – chicken nuggets, roast beef and some bread plus a polenta slice.

After lunch Kim had some jelly, which she insisted on calling jell-o.

It must have been pretty good jelly!

Dessert was just OK.

On the way back to the pool, Gary mentioned that today’s soft serve flavours were banana and strawberry so Kim and I decided to take a detour to the soft serve machine. I got a banana-chocolate mix, it was pretty good.

Back at the pool, it was time for an après-lunch Woo Woo.

We all sat around the pool chatting. Gary went and got changed, to go to the Veterans’ Meet & Greet. Following the Veterans gathering that we had attended earlier in the cruise, one of our group had organised another get together and arranged for DCL to include it in the Navigator. Gary said that, due to the advertising, this one was very well attended. Even Captain Puckett had shown up for a little while.

A little while later Tony & Theresa and we all sat around talking. Kim bought Raspberry Daiquiris for us both but asked Martin to put less rum in hers and add the extra to mine. What a great friend!

A little later we all went to get showered and changed before meeting up with the others back up on Deck 10.

There was a beautiful sunset this evening but it was quite breezy up on deck.

Kathleen, Kim, Vicky, Axel and I left the guys up on deck and we went to do the Frozen scavenger hunt – I would have stayed with the guys but since Kim had ordered me to participate fully in all Frozen activities, I didn’t really have a choice. I did a good job of pretending I was enjoying myself though ;)

We had difficulty finding one of the clues, which we knew had to be in the Route 66 area. Luckily somebody in Cadillac Lounge gave us a hint and we found it (having walked straight past it a number of times). After we’d found all the clues, we went to Diversions to play 80s music trivia. Kim decided to go up on deck to watch Aristocats on funnel vision.

Vicky, Axel and I teamed up with Tony and Theresa to form the ‘Dancing Queens’ team. Gary, Terry and Jif had a ‘boys’ team. The quiz consisted of Andy playing an excerpt from an 80s song and we had to name the song and the artist. We ended up with a score of 41 out of 50, the boys got 48 but were pipped to the prize by another team (The Mullets), who got the full 50. After trivia, I left the boys drinking their beers and went up to find Kim. We had decided to skip the main dining room again tonight, none of us really feeling like a big meal. Tony and Theresa had gone, together with Julie and Jim. I got myself a spicy chicken sandwich from Pluto’s.

It was really tasty, with just the right amount of spice. Gary and Terry joined us on deck 9 just as the movie was finishing. We were all craving something sweet so we decided to go down to the dining room for dessert. After stopping in Shutters to check out the latest pictures, we headed to Animators Palate to join the others. Milan and Sandro seemed genuinely pleased to see us and immediately started scurrying around to grab napkins and water glasses for us. We quickly realised that we had missed out on a big plate of mozzarella sticks. There were some left and they still tasted nice cold. Gary and I and Kim and Terry ordered the sweet temptations, and Kim also ordered the sundae.

Milan also brought Terry his celebration cake. Terry was stuffed and told Gary he had to eat half. “Don’t be divvying it up”, Gary says, “It’s your bloody cake”. They still shared it though, it was very romantic ;)

As we were finishing up dessert, the chef stopped by the table to say hello. And he very kindly took a picture of the group (with Kathleen, who had popped over to chat to us too).

After dinner, we met up with some of the others to have pictures taken with Sorcerer Mickey. The line was really long and it took ages. By the time we had seen him, I was shattered and so Gary and I headed off to bed.

Sorry ...but Kim informed me yesterday that she still doesn't know how the cruise ended because I haven't finished the trip report so I figured I'd better be a good girl and get caught up.

Kudos, Kim! :thumbsup2

Great update! I love the idea of going to the dinner MDRs just for dessert. Will have to remember that for future cruises. :goodvibes

Ok I got more read.

Panama Canal day: Mickey on deck four, I had wondered why people were waving so excitedly. And good you loved PALO!

Ooohhh ouch on the trip out of Cadullac Lounge!

I never saw those Olaf frozen bars. That would've been refreshing.

6 safety pins!!!!!????

You guys had a blast with those formal pictures. I love it when I travel with people who like to that. Four cruises ago was how long it's been since I traveled with that type though.

I did a galley tour my second Disney cruise so that was the MAGIC. It was interesting but I don't remember cookies at the end. 13 year old memory though so we probably did get them. I remember the galley looking just as shiny though.

It was nice Mari organized the Mothers Day lunch. Something special since the cruise fell on that day.

I was not excited over the FROZEN announcement either but at least it didn't really overtake the whole ship.

A 'dry' day? What is this you speak of?

Popping into the MDR just for dessert is a great idea when you know some of your table was there for dinner. No way would I do it if the whole table had skipped dinner.

Look forward to the last few days of the cruise and I hope you'll be reporting on Disneyland.

I had a mammoth read yesterday, what an amazing trip!
I did the WBTA last year and it was the most incredible two weeks, the panama canal is now on the to do list.
I now look forward to reading the rest of your trip report whilst I count down to my 7 night Caribbean cruise in December! :)

Chapter 24 – So this is Puerto Vallarta? Or not!

Tuesday May 12th

I had a really broken night’s sleep, had lots of weird/bad dreams and saw pretty much every hour from 3am onwards. I guess I must have already been dreading having to leave the ship and all of our new friends. At 6am, I gave up trying to sleep, got dressed and went up to Deck 9 to write up my notes. It was still dark and by 6.30 I was all caught up so I decided to go and find today’s scavenger hunt pictures (for the Frozen chocolate chase).

Just before 7, I dropped my bag and notebook back to the room, then made my way to Deck 4 mid to meet the walkers. It was just me, Mari and Andrea this morning. It seemed that, as the cruise went on, people were sleeping in more (although poor Kim hadn’t been able to walk with us for a couple of days as she had really bad oedema in her feet and ankles). I did 45 minutes of walking with Mari and Andrea, then went back to the room for a quick wash and to get changed into my swimming stuff. Up on deck 9, I bagged a couple of loungers. While I was sitting there, Jif arrived and said he had just seen some dolphins of the starboard bow (cue the Star Trekkin’ song). We went up to deck 10 but there was no sign of them. I told Jif I was going to grab some breakfast and he said he was going for coffee so he would join me. I grabbed some grapefruit (healthy) and some French toast and a couple of pastries (not so much) and we sat outside behind Beach Blanket Buffet.

The lemon Danish was absolutely delicious, I could have eaten a dozen of them – hmmm, remind me again why I am STILL trying to lose the weight I gained on the cruise.

Jif pointed out a small motorboat in the distance, off which a guy was pushing out a net.

He said it looked like we were going to go straight over the guy’s nets – and lo and behold the guy obviously realised too as he started up his boat and was going as fast as possible towards his lines. You could see the floats on top of the water (Jif pointed them out) and sure enough they disappeared from the top of the water as we careered straight through without a thought for the poor guy and his fishing nets.

After breakfast, I said goodbye to Jif and headed back to my lounger, where I read for a bit. At one point there was a bird flapping around on the deck and a couple of the maintenance guys were trying to catch it in a bucket. It was hilarious. That bird did not want to get in that bucket.

Tony came past a few minutes later, with a plateful of pastries which he was taking down to Tee, who was still not feeling 100%. As there was still no sign of anybody else, I decided to go and check out the ‘Freezing in the Night’ merchandise which had gone on sale the night before, ready for the deck party tomorrow. I bought a Frozen t-shirt for Sian, a sailor Pluto for Daniel and matching Mickey and Minnie sailor mugs for Rea and her boyfriend, Ben. It was the first shopping I had done really – yes, most of my room charges thus far were made up of alcohol ;)

After dropping my purchases back to the room and rousing Gary, I went back up to the pool. Kim and Terry had arrived and so I sat down to chat with them. Kim seemed quiet; I wondered if she was feeling sad about having to get off the ship or whether it was because her ankles and feet were sore. They did look very painful. After a little while Gary, Tony and Tee arrived and we all sat around for a bit. Tony bought a round of drinks, including the non-alcoholic drink of the day for me (with a shot of vodka added for good measure). Martin let us have a look at the ‘Drink of the Day’ list for the cruise, so we could get a peek at what was coming in the next couple of days. It didn't really help as today's DOTD was showing as the Ooh La La, which was actually yesterday's, so they had clearly been switched around.

After a little while, Tony and Tee went to get some lunch. Kathleen was going to get lunch from Goofy’s Galley so I decided to go and see if they could make me a brie and bacon Panini without tomato (which they were able to do as a special order). It was delicious!

After lunch, I popped to Mickey’s Mates to buy Sian an Olaf aerial topper, which I had seen earlier and waivered over buying, then rushed to Animators Palate, where I was meeting Tony and Tee for the animation class – today we were drawing Olaf!

It was a lot of fun and I am glad we went. I kind of wished I had done some of the others – today was one of those days that I spent wishing I had done a lot more of the activities, although I really had enjoyed spending time chilling and doing nothing. I went back up to deck 9 but nobody else was there so I went down to the room and found Gary there. We decided to make a start on the packing and managed to make quite a dent in it. We seemed to have a lot more stuff than we had arrived with.

It was soon time to go down to Diversions, where we had arranged to meet some of the others to play Obscurity trivia. There ended up being a few of us so we split into teams – boys (Gary, Terry, Joe, Brendan and Jeff) against girls (me, Kim, Andrea, Athena and Mari). Our team was called “Girls Rule, Boys Drool”. We absolutely whooped the boys’ butts! Mari designed a t-shirt for the boys (losers) to wear and gave them matching pants.

Once the game was over and most people had left, we hung around and played some cards. Gary and I taught Kim, Terry and Joe to play Newmarket. It was a lot of fun. Kim had been hiding her light under a bushel and we soon discovered she was a demon dealer. Lightning fast shuffling and seriously awesome!

At 4.30 we made our way back to the room to get showered and changed. Tonight was the second formal night and I was determined I was going to wear my lovely new dress, this time without the sunburn. Of course, I had a whopping great bruise on my arm now instead.

Tonight’s show was the crew talent show, which was brilliant. The maintenance crew deck band played Sweet Child of Mine and received a standing ovation, they were amazing. Paul from HR was fabulous too. They were all seriously talented. During the final song, they played a montage of clips from the cruise and we saw Julie and Jim on the screen (one of the photos taken during the dance lessons). After the show we quickly popped back to the room as I still needed to paint my nails. Luckily I had bought a fast-drying topcoat, called Seche Vite, which literally leaves your nails completely dry after about a minute. It was a lifesaver during the cruise as I was able to do my nails in just a few minutes. We went down to deck 3 atrium, where they were having a meet and greet with the ships’ officers but it was heaving so Gary and I made our way to the Cadillac Lounge with Julie and Jim, where we had a drink before dinner.

Chapter 25 – Chocoholics of the World unite

Tonight’s dinner was in Parrot Cay so Julie, Jim, Gary and I took our drinks through to the dining room. Tony, Tee, Kim and Terry were already seated and waiting for us. Everybody looked lovely in their formal attire.

Milan took our orders, and since there was nothing on the appetiser menu I particularly wanted, I ordered the smoked duck salad off the lighter bites menu. For main I had the fettucine with parmesan crusted chicken, one of my favourite dishes.

There was also lobster available on tonight’s menu.

Dessert was a Mickey bar with sprinkles, although I really should have resisted given what was still to come.

After dinner, we ran back to the room to get changed. Gary wanted to go and see John Charles but I didn’t really want to so Kim, Terry and I wandered around the ship and took some pictures. After a little while, we went back and joined the others in the line for the chocolate buffet, which was being held in Tritons. There was no sign of Gary so we hung around a bit but eventually we went in as it was heaving. The line to get in was stretched all the way back through Route 66.

I was really still full from dinner so just took a few items. There was still no sign of Gary so the others grabbed a table and I went to look for him again. It was so busy outside, I just couldn’t see him so I had to just hope he would eventually make his way inside and find us.

After we’d finished, there was still no sign of him so we headed to Wavebands to watch the second Match Your Mate. We found Gary there with Julie and Jim. Apparently they had decided Tritons was just too busy so figured we would find them here eventually – which we did!

Match Your Mate wasn’t as entertaining as the first one but there were still a few funny moments. Unfortunately, there was a group sat behind us who were far more interested in having their own, very loud conversation rather than watching the show.

After the show finished, we went up to Deck 9 to get some soda, before heading back to the room. There were a bunch of pretty badly behaved teens riding up and down in the lifts, running up and down the stairs and shouting to each other from the top decks right down to the bottom. Gary and I asked them to keep it down and suggested they should make their way back to wherever they were supposed to be (the teen club, presumably?) but they just laughed at us and ran off. Eventually a cast member caught up with them on Deck 3 and told them they were not allowed in the area and they sloped off. And Gary and I made our way to bed, where we found tomorrow’s navigator, a note telling us the clocks were going back an hour tonight and a fine towel lobster!

Great day, the flubber looks great but I hate getting my hands dirty too!!!!

Glad I am not alone with that then.

Now I am officially jealous. I never got Ghiradelli chocolates on any of our cruises.Corinna

Got to say, I have never had Ghirardelli before either. I was assuming it was because of Mother's Day but presumably your PC was over Mother's Day too so maybe we just got lucky :confused3

The adult's night in the kids clubs looks like a good laugh!
Never done a galley tour, I've asked about them on every cruise we've ever been on and they've always said "we aren't doing any"

Hope you manage to get a galley tour in March, Linda. If not, there is always 2017 :)

Oh, that galley tour looks interesting. Did you see any notes there about all apps must be anchored with mashed potatoes? :p Was that a sweet dip for the brie app? I've had brie puff pastry with raspberry preserves and it is incredible! I'm gaining 6 lbs just reading about your dining adventures.

Ha ha ha! That flubber stuff looks like fun. You guys look like you were at science class at school.

No, I saw nothing that stated all apps should be anchored with mashed potatoes ;) Yes, it was a sweet orange/cranberry sauce, I think. Pretty good. Flubber was cool, it felt a little bit like Science class, I could have done without the kids' club CM antics though. I just kept thinking "I'm too old for this". I'm sure the kids probably find it all hilarious though.

Finally made it to your TR!!!!

Only have read through Cartegana so far but have to comment. Excellent report by the way.

Love the card your friends left for you in the hotel before your flight. I bought one last year in WDW just to frame.

I dislike mayo for the most part but love it on fries.

KINDLE Paperwhite best invention ever.

TransAtlantic flight necessary evil but the reason I won't book a TransAtlantic cruise and have only been to Europe once!

Same tee at hotel breakfast-imagine same dress formal night!!!

LOVED your personal touch with the Mixology cards. Thanks for putting in the effort!!!
I cover every ship I've ever been on (talking EVERY corridor) as I love to explore. Try that on Allure (RCCL) and your fitbit gets a workout. Speaking of fitbit I just got mine in July so have no idea how much (or little) I walked this cruise.

Kudos on working through fear to go in caves in Playa. I rode that ferry once and outside seat if one available is best option.

Mozzarella sticks!!!!! I'd read you could do that and planned on it and hadn't thought about it again until your picture:-(

Ouch on the sunburn.

Mixology. Glass of salad-ha! French Martini-yum!

Love the new placeholder process and so easy especially after a tasting!

Amazing view from La Popa, might have to consider that next year.

The Pushiness of the Cartagena vendors reminds me of the Jamaica vendor who followed us on bus for money once because we watched him carve some wood figurines and he asked our names and carved that in them too so now we HAD to buy them. We did and it is still a great conversation piece since our names are misspelled:-)

BBB is great option but the tipping was a question for me too. When my BIL went on a cruise he had a hard time with how to tip those that weren't in regular tipped positions. I did wind up tipping several of the bathroom attendants this cruise as they work hard in a really thankless position.

Hope to catch up on more soon!

Thanks for commenting and reading along. I still am not sure whether we made the right decision on tipping at BBB, have read up on it since and still not got a straight answer but hoping that mentioning the staff on our comment card too will have done them some good. We had some great service there, better still on Cabo night (coming up soon).

Great report I read it all. I think I have made up my mind about doing those cruise for my honeymoon next year.

It really is a great cruise, you can't beat it for the amount of sea days and the general atmosphere on board.

This looks like another really nice and relaxing day.

Corinna

Loved the sea days, was surprised that I just never was bored.

Kudos, Kim! :thumbsup2

Great update! I love the idea of going to the dinner MDRs just for dessert. Will have to remember that for future cruises. :goodvibes

I am not sure I am liking you and Kim ganging up on me :chat: We can definitely go to the MDR just for dessert on future cruises ;)

Ok I got more read.

Panama Canal day: Mickey on deck four, I had wondered why people were waving so excitedly. And good you loved PALO!

Ooohhh ouch on the trip out of Cadullac Lounge!

I never saw those Olaf frozen bars. That would've been refreshing.

6 safety pins!!!!!????

You guys had a blast with those formal pictures. I love it when I travel with people who like to that. Four cruises ago was how long it's been since I traveled with that type though.

I did a galley tour my second Disney cruise so that was the MAGIC. It was interesting but I don't remember cookies at the end. 13 year old memory though so we probably did get them. I remember the galley looking just as shiny though.

It was nice Mari organized the Mothers Day lunch. Something special since the cruise fell on that day.

I was not excited over the FROZEN announcement either but at least it didn't really overtake the whole ship.

A 'dry' day? What is this you speak of?

Popping into the MDR just for dessert is a great idea when you know some of your table was there for dinner. No way would I do it if the whole table had skipped dinner.

Look forward to the last few days of the cruise and I hope you'll be reporting on Disneyland.

Hello, and thanks for coming back - I didn't need all 6 safety pins, it really wasn't that bad :laughing::laughing:

A 'dry day' is a day with no alcohol - or was that a sarcastic comment? As you could see, it didn't last. Best laid plans...

I am not sure if we would have gone for dessert had we all skipped dinner, I bet our wait staff would have just left if we weren't there lol.

Glad to see you are finishing off your report. Better hurry up and get started on the next one!

Sorry to disappoint you but I am not doing a trippy for my August trip.

I had a mammoth read yesterday, what an amazing trip!
I did the WBTA last year and it was the most incredible two weeks, the panama canal is now on the to do list.
I now look forward to reading the rest of your trip report whilst I count down to my 7 night Caribbean cruise in December! :)

Thanks for reading along, I will try and finish it before you head off on your Caribbean cruise in December :laughing:

Last edited:
Great update, missing all our friends.

I said ALL that's all of our table mates and even two weeks is too long.:p

Fab updates Joh
You can really tell how much you loved this cruise and its obvious you had an absolute blast!
Ah, sitting on a sun lounger with a drink of the day - blissful

Chapter 26 – Land ahoy!

Wednesday May 13th

As much as we had both been happy enough to have an extra sea day, it sure was good to know that we would be setting foot on dry land today. And Cabo San Lucas was a new port for us, so we were excited to explore. We had debated over a beach horseback excursion, but in the end we decided we would rather just explore a little on our own. The other members of our group had excursions organised through the ship so we knew we would just catch up with them a little while later.

It was 8.20 when we woke up. The clocks had gone back an hour the previous evening so we were a little out of whack this morning, as it was quite late but felt early. After getting showered and dressed, we made our way to Parrot Cay for breakfast.

I had just finished eating when I realised I had forgotten my KTTW card, which I would need to get off the ship, so I popped back to the room to get it. On the way back to meet Gary, I bumped into Roxann and her son, Austin, who were on their way to meet for their horseback riding excursion. I mentioned that it was quite a late departure time for an excursion (it was now after 9am) and it somehow transpired that they thought it was 8am and were actually over an hour late. I think Austin had reset the phone on his clock the night before, not realising it had changed automatically (or something like that). We couldn’t quite understand why, having spent the past 5 days at sea, DCL had chosen the night before a port day to change the clocks. It appeared to have caused a fair bit of confusion. I said goodbye to Roxann and Austin and went to meet Gary outside the Buena Vista theatre, where we were given a tender ticket.

After a short wait, we were led down to Deck 1 forward, where we boarded a tender to take us to the marina. We were both surprised at just how beautiful it was, with a fabulous view of the harbour area and the mountains in the distance.

During the ride over, we chatted to Kirsten, from our FB group, and her family. Her daughters were delightful, telling us about the wildlife they had seen and some of their favourite parts of the cruise so far. We encountered a playful sea lion, who gave us a wave on the way past.

After we disembarked the tender, we headed for some nearby shops. Gary had been suffering from dreadful heartburn so needed Zantac. We found a pharmacy, where we bought a bottle of 100 for $25 ( a real bargain compared to what his prescription costs him back home).

After that we walked around the marina, trying to find somewhere that had free WiFi so we could Skype with Daniel.

We were reminded of our missing shipmates!

I am pretty sure this yacht would have had WiFi – I mean, it had its own helicopter after all!

No luck finding WiFi at Burger ng ;)

We came across a Starbucks. We ordered a mango and a raspberry fruit cooler and took them upstairs, where we managed to connect to the WiFi and Skype our boy. The connection wasn’t the greatest so we just had a quick chat and made sure everybody was OK.

My Starbucks name – Jou!

After we’d talked to everyone back home, we carried on with our stroll around the marina. It really was very beautiful here – although extremely hot! For some stupid reason, I hadn’t brought any sunscreen with me so we had to be careful not to stay in the sun for too long.

We ended up at a shopping mall, where I tried a Tiffany ‘T’ bracelet but it was a bit too tight (Gary was very relieved). After watching a sea lion playing in the water and a guy feeding pelicans fish off the back of his boat, we walked back round the marina and stopped for some lunch at a bar along the waterfront.

It was pretty noisy but lively and fun. There was a mariachi band touring around the place, playing requests for people.

We ordered drinks and food – a beer for Gary and a mojito for me. Plus some calamari and a fisherman’s platter (fish, shrimp, fries and onion rings).

The food was really tasty and the portions were huge. We had to wait a little while to get the check (la quinta, por favour) so we kicked back for a while and people watched. It was very obvious who the cruise ship folks were and we spied several people from the Disney Wonder walking past. After we paid the check, we walked slowly back to the tender dock. I bought a tile, which had been beautifully hand painted with a sunset scene of Cabo san Lucas and a Disney ship in the foreground. The lady offered me the tile plus a fridge magnet for $20. I only had a $50 and asked if she could change it. She said ‘yes’ but, as I handed it over, I briefly worried that she might do a runner as she was sitting on the other side of an iron fence. I whispered to Gary to be prepared to run and he gave me a look, which I took to mean “Not for $30!”

Back at the dock, we walked past a long line of people waiting to board the tenders for the Jewel of the Seas. I did feel sorry for them, while I was wiping the sweat from my brow with an ice cold flannel and sipping a cup of icy water before hopping straight onto a tender back to the beautiful Disney Wonder. So long suckers! Somebody did tell me later that Royal Caribbean were using their lifeboats to tender, which was why people were waiting so long as they had limited numbers. Made me glad we chose Disney for this trip.

Back at the ship, the computer systems were down and the poor cast members had to manually record the names and stateroom numbers of everybody who was getting back on the ship. After a brief detour to the room to drop off our purchases and change into swim suits, we made our way up to deck 9 where we found Kim and Terry by the adult pool. At about 3.15, we started turning around. I was a bit confused as there was a tender still making its way back to us. I would have been having kittens if I was on that tender and saw the Wonder moving (we later found out that Vicky and her son, Axel, were on that tender). It was really, really hot now so I got myself a raspberry daiquiri and went with Kim and Gary up to Deck 10 to watch the sail away. Quite a few of our group were there and we got some great pictures. We had a fabulous view as we sailed right past Los Arcos.

The ‘scooby’ rock

Bunny up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter